Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term with kids - Chamrousse or Vaujany?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I'm a single dad taking my two children, aged 10 and 8,( both of whome have the ESF 2* and are confident on reds and blues) skiing at half term. I've DIYed the travel - were getting to Eurostar to Paris and the TGV to Grenoble. What I haven't done yet is decided on which resort to go to, in the Grenoble area. Both Chamrousse and Vaujany self-catering accomodation for roughly the same price, with the added bonus of cheapish lift passes if I limit us to the Vaujany area only.. I was holding off booking accomodation, and looking at the snow - it did look a bit patchy on the Chamrousse webcams but it's snowing today and more forecast at the weekend so I'm assuming the snow coverage will be OK.

We're lucky enough to be going again at Easter to Chamonix , so I'm not thinking of any lessons for the kids for the half term holiday.

So really, I was just after a bit of advice - I've never been to either, so which resort would be better for the children? Any advice really appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to vaujany at half term 2 years ago so I can answer some questions but I have never been to chamrousse so I can't compare.
Vaujany was my kids favourite holiday so far.

The vaujany sector was extremely quiet especially at the beginning of the week. The slopeside bars and restaurants were never full and that was a pleasure compared to other places at half term!

There was a bit of a scrum for the big cable car first thing but that whizzes you right up to the highest point before anyone from alpe d'huez has got there. This gave us one of our favourite ever skiing moment when my daughter and I let the whole load of people leave and then we had it to ourselves. If you get the chairlift in the morning up to the vaujany sector instead its much quieter. We don't find downloading at the end of the day a problem at all.

I think if you are fairly good skiiers you would find just having the vaujany pass frustrating. We loved going over to adh and my kids especially liked the snow park there.

It's a good thing you don't want lessons . my kids were in a group of 22 very small French children with ESF and didn't like it at all.

We found the village a bit wierd and soulless in the evenings. Not really a problem as we were tired but there's no wandering around soakingup the atmosphere to be done. We did use the pool one evening which we had to ourselves! There was a nice pizza place up the top but no 'buzz'. Our apartment was unbelievable value and really nice but if at all possible I would stay near he lifts. The whole village is on a very steep hill!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamrousse 1400m to 2250m
Vaujany 1350 to 2800m but if you go for the full pass 3330m

I've never been to Chamrousse but I've been ADH several times (with children). Personally I see no good reason to stay in Vaujany over staying Oz-en-Oisans. There are two bubbles out of Oz. One gets you to the same point as the Vaujany cable car and the other takes you over to the ADH bowl. So it gives you better access into the domain. AND you can ski home in multiple ways. ADH is probably my second favourite ski area.

Not sure I would go for the Vuajany/Oz pass only. The price difference in the scheme of things wouldn't stack up.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
Chamrousse 1400m to 2250m

in practicality 1650 to 2250
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy