Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talk to me about... Chamonix.

Poster: A snowHead
first post here guys go easy.

hi guys, im Daniel, 26 from N'wales

Booked my first alps weekend, never stepped foot on a mountain, but been in the dome for a long time now. im going the 18th-21st march.

booked chamonix, i came up with chamonix from research, apparently good snow in chamonix in march?

booked a hotel called, La croix-blanche, ok reviews but got a 'secret deal' so cost me peanuts for 3 nights

any hints, tips, secrets regarding the resort, hotel, where to snowboard etc etc would be greatly appreciated Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I stayed in Croix Blanche last week. Enjoyed the food. The bar was a bit soulless, but there are so many others to choose from it matters not one bit. Try the MBC micro brewery for apres.

Lots of skiing options for you around Chamonix, but you'll have to be prepared to get on a bus. Also, I highly recommend you get lessons.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chambre Neuf in Chamonix is one of my favourite places for apres.

How long is a "long time" that you've been going to domes? If it's your first introduction to genuine mountain snowboarding, then Les Houches might be a good start as it's pretty relaxed. Also good to go there if it's a white out day as there are quite a few tree lined runs.

Lessons is also a good tip as @Gerry said above, the mountain is so different to domes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the reply, dont mind the bus i believe its only a few miniutes to most of the lifts.

i have been boarding indoors for over a year now so hopefully i will be fine on piste.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hello and welcome to SH. Have you booked lessons for when you arrive? Just my 2p worth but I, like may on here, will suggest you get some. The mountain is a lot different to the snowdome.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
danieljw wrote:
thanks for the reply, dont mind the bus i believe its only a few miniutes to most of the lifts.

i have been boarding indoors for over a year now so hopefully i will be fine on piste.

The bus take longer than a few minutes I'm afraid. Look to actually get on a but by 8:15 if you want to start boarding before 9:15 for example. The real mountain isn't much like the dome, so please try and book a lesson for the first morning at least.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thank you for all the information it does sound like a lesson is in order,

and Gerry thank you for the information regarding the bus, i guess some people on the internet dont have a concept of time, i expect to be up pretty early.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@danieljw, Croix Blanche a great location for town.

If the Savoy drags and slopes are open, you might find it quicker to walk to the drag - I appreciate you're a boarder so that might not appeal.

Frankly, with board and boots, I'd be thinking of walking up to Brevent, it's a 5-6 minute walk.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@danieljw I just thought, if you're after any bargain snowboarding gear, there is a great snowboarding and mountainbiking-specific shop in Chamonix, called Legend-Chamonix. I got a great deal on some bindings in March last year when mine broke - really friendly guys who really knew their stuff too, so well worth a visit.

Are you going in a group, couple, solo?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thank you @under a new name from what i can figure out, the brevent lift is 5-6 mins walk, again i found this on the internet, so might be incorrect.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
@danieljw, Croix Blanche a great location for town.

If the Savoy drags and slopes are open, you might find it quicker to walk to the drag - I appreciate you're a boarder so that might not appeal.

Frankly, with board and boots, I'd be thinking of walking up to Brevent, it's a 5-6 minute walk.

He's never been on the mountain before, so if he goes up there on his own...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
danieljw wrote:
thank you @under a new name from what i can figure out, the brevent lift is 5-6 mins walk, again i found this on the internet, so might be incorrect.

Out the back of your hotel, turn right and up to the roundabout by the church, straight across and up the very steep, very long hill, signed to Brevent. Or walk to the drags mentioned before and they will pull you up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been boarding outdoors for over 10 years now, can ride anything and I still could do with a lesson. Chamonix is great although it can be a faff getting about - Les Houches and Le Tour (incidently the best places for a first timer) are certainly more than 'a few minuets' from the town center and that's once the right bus arrives. Anyway ignore our negativity, you'll love it and have an amazing time. We're probably just jealous.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

As long as he stays on the pistes and pays attention to open/closed shouldn't be huge issue. Should it?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
from where your based its probably easier to grab the drag lift from the bottom of the savoy, its probably quicker to walk though.

personally I never get the bus, the train is a much nicer experience (ie you can always get a seat!) and they always run on time. Its largely overlooked by skiers in the valley.
ski holidays
Snow Hound wrote:
I've been boarding outdoors for over 10 years now, can ride anything and I still could do with a lesson. Chamonix is great although it can be a faff getting about - Les Houches and Le Tour (incidently the best places for a first timer) are certainly more than 'a few minuets' from the town center and that's once the right bus arrives. Anyway ignore our negativity, you'll love it and have an amazing time. We're probably just jealous.

I agree with this - don't let our nay-saying put you off - Chamonix is a great place to ride, and is a great town in its own right.

Even on the bus front, we're talking about 20-30 minutes at the most (the valley is quite small, but the buses stop a lot) so it's not the end of the world. Also, you're staying in a very pretty valley, with lots of skiing and mountaineering history to it, so it is a cool place for your first mountain experience.

If you get an afternoon where you're not riding, or you finish a bit early or something, take the chance to get the lift up to the Aiguille du Midi for great views of Mont Blanc and the Alpes. Regardless of what people tell you, don't have a go at the Vallee Blanche (the massive, 5-hour off-piste route from the top of here) as it would be best to get a few more trips away under your belt before you attempt that. I say this because when I first went to Chamonix, the tour guide (trying to make his €s) told our group that going to Chamonix and not doing the Vallee Blanche is like going to Paris and not going up the Eiffel Tower. I would contest this and say it's more akin to going to Paris and not parachuting off the top of the Eiffel Tower.

You're going to have a great time!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-02-16 13:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

As long as he stays on the pistes and pays attention to open/closed shouldn't be huge issue. Should it?

If you say so.
ski holidays
Quote:

it's more akin to going to Paris and not parachuting off the top of the Eiffel Tower

Hah hah - like that.

Quote:

If you say so.

I don't see why anyone wouldn't say that.

Quote:

the train is a much nicer experience

Ah, yes, good call.
snow report
[quote="under a new name"]
Quote:

I don't see why anyone wouldn't say that.

He's only done the equivalent of 150m ish on a green and you're pointing him up to Brevent saying 'you'll be fine on your own'?
latest report
This tread is getting me worried, with 90%ish of people saying get lessons. Can I ask for advice on my situation (not wanting to take it off thread)
Going to St Gervais which has more blue & greens with my 2 sons 12 & 8, due to other things we will only have 3 days on slope & both boys have skied a lot (100+ hours) on dry slope & a couple of days up Avimore, they are UK level 6. None of us have skied in Alps before. Will I be ok with them if we stick to blues & greens. We will book lessons next time but due it being half term it looks like week only classes are being run.
Thanks, Concerned father.
latest report
@Jonny996, you'll be fine, even on reds as your confidence grows infact I'd advoid greens if possible. The thing about the 2 main areas in Chamonix is there are quite a few challenging reds and blacks, steep and narrow in places, which could be a shock to someone who's only ever ridden inside. The thing about lessons is everybody could probably do with a lesson or 2.
latest report
@Gerry, Brevent now has a spunky new lift to get beginners onto the beginners slopes. So you can be green all the way.

And you don't need to go near anything other than a blue run either unless you really want to.

Sure, lessons are a good idea. But, evidently, not universally taken up.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
This tread is getting me worried, with 90%ish of people saying get lessons.

I sometimes wonder what % on SH are instructors, ex-instructors or wannabe instructors.
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

If you say so.

why not? he's going up a mountain with easy access to easy slopes to go snowboarding. He's not going wingsuit flying for the first time.

I know plenty of very good snowboarders that have never taken a lesson in there lives so the op is already one step ahead.
snow conditions
thank you for all the comments, everything helps, im not traveling alone, but with a family member with similar ability
ski holidays
dogwatch wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

I sometimes wonder what % on SH are instructors, ex-instructors or wannabe instructors.

If I'm honest, my advice comes from my own experience of first going to the mountain after doing lessons in a fridge - I'm obviously in the very unlucky minority but ended up with a broken collarbone and an appreciation of Canadian daytime tv!!
latest report
dogwatch wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:

With apartments for rent. NehNeh
snow conditions
Lessons will help you get better faster but you'll be 100% fine without them if you can board indoors ok. What are people expecting to happen!?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eddiethebus wrote:
Gerry wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

If you say so.

why not? he's going up a mountain with easy access to easy slopes to go snowboarding. He's not going wingsuit flying for the first time.

Yeah, but the piste has far too any people on it who think they're actually flying a wingsuit already.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 1-02-16 15:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
eddiethebus wrote:
Gerry wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

If you say so.

Yeah, but the piste has far too any people on it who think they're actually flying a wingsuit already.

I'm sorry. I literally have no idea what your talking about.
ski holidays
eddiethebus wrote:
Gerry wrote:
eddiethebus wrote:
Gerry wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

If you say so.

I'm sorry. I literally have no idea what your talking about.

Are you a boarder?
ski holidays
No. I've never had the experience of going to public school.

I snowboard, if that's what you're asking, although I don't really understand what relevance that has to the OP's ability to get in a lift and go snowboarding for the day.
snow conditions
eddiethebus wrote:
No. I've never had the experience of going to public school.

I snowboard, if that's what you're asking, although I don't really understand what relevance that has to the OP's ability to get in a lift and go snowboarding for the day.

Boarder, snowboarder, same thing in my book. Anyway, when I look around any piste I see a fair few people who look like they need lessons in control.
ski holidays
Just because people aren't as good as you doesn't mean they need "lessons in control". They're out there trying and hopefully having fun while doing so.

Lessons for some are a good idea, but not everyone wants to learn that way.

Before this turns into a discussion about people being a danger to others, it isn't. Anyone has the ability to learn and get better without instruction and without being a danger to others, the same as others have the ability to take months of tuition and ski/snowboard recklessly.
snow report
Anyhoo. First time i tried snowboarding (not that long after Jake Burton invented the sport) a couple of chums and I reckoned that as we were a. reasonably good skiers and b. 26 or so, thus invincible and with great skillz we'd just take boards to the top of red run in Avoriaz and work it out.

Yup. Predictably painful.

Second time I took a lesson from a friend who had, himself, had two lessons. Being the grand age of 32 and having learned my lesson previously, how much worse could it be?

Painful but at least I could begin to see the appeal.

18 years later I am very excited by XC skating and very pleased I've had quite a few hours instruction at it, cos it's actually a wee bit technical.
snow conditions
eddiethebus wrote:
Just because people aren't as good as you doesn't mean they need "lessons in control".

Every lesson is a lesson in how to be better in control and I firmly believe that everyone could benefit from lessons. Of course some people are too egotistical to deal with being told what they're doing wrong.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 2-02-16 10:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
thanks you again for all information given,

ok here one, where does the best breakfast, hotel does, reviews arnt amazing for the 13 euro price tag.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@Gerry, "everyone could benefit from lessons"

Well, no, not really. Everyone can benefit from critical input. But by that stage I think us adults call it "coaching".
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Gerry, "everyone could benefit from lessons"

Well, no, not really. Everyone can benefit from critical input. But by that stage I think us adults call it "coaching".

Are you a ski teacher? Coaching, lessons, instruction, critical input, does it matter what it's called? Does the 'critical input' label make you feel more grown up?
snow report
Chamonix sucks for noobs.

Skiing is too spreadout and a schlep to get to.

Take at least 2 hours or lessons per day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy