Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will ski resorts shift their season later?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just looked at Flaine's website ( www.flaine.com ) and they have 80% of their terrain open, much more than was open when I went their in January, but are set to close at the weekend. It seems a shame that they shut their doors when there is so much snow still there. Should they stop trying to open in early December but stay open later?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know about the resorts, but Inghams seem to finish offering ski-ing holidays at the end of Easter, regardless of the date this random holiday falls...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Flaine report is just that isn't it? Not the Grand Massif.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you go to www.skiflaine.com it shows that the much of the rest of the Grand Massif is open. Even if it were just the Flaine bowl there's a fair bit to do. Granted not as much as earlier in the season, but if I was nearby I'd pop up for a blast!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just checked the historical report in SCGB for Flaine and upper slopes depth goes steadily upwards to the last week. No tapering off. Lower slopes not too shabby either. So depth is there but presumably demand is lacking and conditions not so good.

What happens when the foehn (? spelling) blows ?? Does it all just vanish overnight ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Reed wrote:
If you go to www.skiflaine.com it shows that the much of the rest of the Grand Massif is open. Even if it were just the Flaine bowl there's a fair bit to do. Granted not as much as earlier in the season, but if I was nearby I'd pop up for a blast!

err...no it doesn't, I'm not sure where you're seeing that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
go to "conditions du jour" and then under the thing that says Pistes & Remontees click on Massif. Mind you it's not that exciting when you get there!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Reed wrote:
go to "conditions du jour" and then under the thing that says Pistes & Remontees click on Massif. Mind you it's not that exciting when you get there!

massif != grand massif

massif + flaine = grand massif

either way, it does not say 80%, either for lifts or runs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise, http://www.flaine.com/index.jsp?c=13336 is where it says 80%. I'd agree that on the grand massif it's quite a lot less, but in gerenal it is lower. Sorry if I've sent you round the houses on this one!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, whose rattled your chain today?!

In fairness it says its 56% open for the Grand Massif apparently, but hey thats still 35 lifts, and ill bet thats enough to keep you occupied, especially being as there will be hardly anyone there!

and im sure the 'Massif' is not the same as the 'Grand Massif'...well according to the liasons anyway?!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chris Reed wrote:
I've just looked at Flaine's website ( www.flaine.com ) and they have 80% of their terrain open, much more than was open when I went their in January, but are set to close at the weekend. It seems a shame that they shut their doors when there is so much snow still there. Should they stop trying to open in early December but stay open later?

It won't happen, at least not unless holiday dates are moved in France. Most of the season workers head for the coast at the start of May so there is not the staff available to run the resort. Economically it is a none starter as well. You are lucky they are open as late as they are. The big ski resorts make their money in the six week Febuary winter holiday period and at Christmas / New Year. To open at Christmas the resort has to start getting up and running in mid-November as there is a lot of preparation work to do.

I don't have the exact figures to hand but to give you an idea Tignes makes in a winter weekend day what it makes in a whole month of summer skiing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomski01 wrote:
and im sure the 'Massif' is not the same as the 'Grand Massif'...well according to the liasons anyway?!!

sorry, you've lost me, can you try that again ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ian Hopkinson, I think almost all the British tour operators do this - extremely annoying for everyone. There is an answer though - book independently on the web, with cheap flights, (must have a good selection from Manchester) hire a car etc. not at all difficult now. Probably cheaper too. You could always drive of course (how economical this is depends on how many in the car, of course)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had heard that UK ski operators don't operate much after easter as most people are thinking about booking their summer hols then (what are they??) & it's not economical for them to keep reps in resorts & do airport runs etc....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FLaine is made up a of several linked resorts - Les Carroz, Morrillon, Sixt etc, plus Flaine itself

You fcan get a lift pas for each individual village, a lift pas for the all the villages except Flaine, a lift pass for just Flaine, or a lift pass for the whole lot.

The lift pass for all the villages except Flaine is known as the "Massif". The one for the whole area is the "Grand Massif"
latest report
Sorry Ise, didn't realise itwas you asking, just saw the question and typed an answer!
snow report
Very Happy

Thanks though, I just make do with my season pass Confused
snow report
there you go, thanks nbt! (sorry, by Liasons i meant links, doh!)
ski holidays
50%, 80% whatever ... still looks good, might be nice for the weekend either way Very Happy
latest report
All the reps,chalet girld etc were on the flight I took back to Stansted from Turin last week, I suppose most of the Italian resorts were closed then, but the Southern FRench ones weren't.
latest report
Inghams were finishing up in VT last weekend...
snow report
If you want seasons to end later, the best way is to travel independently to ski resorts in April (on the basis of postive snow reports) when the tour operators have lost interest.

To echo Davidof's point, Zermatt seems to be running on empty this week. There's hardly anyone here to enjoy these vast snowfields. But as long as resorts are prepared to (presumably) subsidise late April skiing the best thing is to get out and enjoy it, travelling independently.
snow report
I was in La Rosiere last week and the skiing was superb, with enough snow for another few weeks quite easily. Over in La Thuile, it was even better.

Given the spring conditions, however, and the unreliability of the weather, it would be very hard to see how extending the season would be financially viable, much as the die hards would like to see it.
snow conditions
Chris I was in Flaine repping for the SCGB up until 17th April. During the last week of my stint the only UK Tour Operator still going was Crystal, the rest had stopped the week before. The resort was pretty empty once the Easter weekend had finished, and most places were starting to close up (bars, restaurent).

So although there would still be snow left high up (debatable if there's much on the lower slopes), as David says it wouldn't be economical to keep the resort open.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, even when the British tour operaters stop, you can get good deals booking independently - I got a great price on a large apartment in Alpe d'Huez this weekend.
snow conditions
Just come back from Les Arcs - the resort was deadly quiet. Most operators only had 1 or 2 chalets left open - and the rest were being cleaned.
Bizarrely it was one of my best weeks - had a really good snowfall on Sunday (?) night so had the most amazing powder day on Monday - up to the knees on one of the steep black runs.
The sun then came out and conditions deteriorated pretty quickly by the end of the week - icy mornings and slushy afternoons. As this is what I was expecting - the powder day was an excellent bonus.
The slopes were very empty - can see how its uneconomic to run the resorts with so few people. It made the experience even more magical - as sometimes you would be on a run or lift all on your own - so it really felt like it was you and the mountain!
snowHead
snow report
mountain mad, sounds as though we had the same weather system - snow all Sunday and much of Monday, a good 30cms on the higher slopes - over in La Rosiere. Tuesday and Wednesday offered the best ski=ing I've experienced. Tuesday I met up with David Last, Masque and Ice Queen and we went over to La Thuile, which apart from being deserted offered unbelievable conditions. Thursday was also good, although Friday and Saturday passed their best by 1.00.

Some mornings I was the only skier on the piste. Stunning! A whole run skied flat out under clear blue skies. Doesn't get much better.....
snow report
Mark - I think people are already sick of seeing my tanned, grinning face as they ask me whether I had any snow at all and I tell them how brilliant it was...
Laughing
latest report
mountain mad wrote:

up to the knees on one of the steep black runs

- sounds like your skiing has progressed since last year mm! Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely improving Alan - although I would only consider that black run because it was covered in fluffy soft snow to fall in!
For those in the know it was the top half of Rouelles in Arc 1650 - lots of fun!
ski holidays
Great stuff. I'm going to try and make the meet in Castleford - don't suppose it will be knee deep there do you?
snow report
Fab if you make it to Castleford - that's a pretty long journey...
I think the conditions will be: hard packed and icy! at least its not going to be the steepness of a black slope!
snow conditions
Is this not a Chicken and Egg problem?
A frequent statement here is "its uneconomic to run the resorts with so few people" (mountain mad), but why are there so few people?
1. The big travel companies have shut up shop
2. Everyone thinks there isn't any snow.
But the idea that Easter is dodgy does not agree with the facts.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Zermatt seems to be running on empty this week. There's hardly anyone here to enjoy these vast snowfields.

Mark Hunter wrote:
I was in La Rosiere last week and the skiing was superb, with enough snow for another few weeks quite easily. Over in La Thuile, it was even better.

mountain mad wrote:
Just come back from Les Arcs - it was one of my best weeks - had a really good snowfall on Sunday (?) night so had the most amazing powder day on Monday - up to the knees on one of the steep black runs.

OK, maybe this year was the exception. I don't think so.
1. I have been skiing Easters since 1992. The conditions have always been better than the four Christmas I have gone skiing
2. Igluski.com allows you to compare December and April for the last few years. I have looked at the 3 resorts sited above: April is always as good as December or better.
3. I have read the suggestion that the ski season has "moved", but the travel industry has not moved with it. The old season of December to March has changed to Janauary to April.
If it wasn't for Christmas I think few people would go skiing in December.
snow report
Funnily enough, ise mentioned that it was surprisingly busy up at Les Arcs today, he was expecting it to be much quieter. We're off to Val d'Isère tomorrow morning, so I'll see what it's like there.
snow conditions
Jonpim, this year was our 1st time skiing at Xmas/New Year. Even a week later the snow was much better. However, even though there was more snow at Easter, I stil prefer the snow when the temps are colder. I'd rather wrap u warmer, and have lighter snow, than ski in slush. That said, conditions in Serre Che were still excellent.
snow conditions
Jonpim, I'm sure David@Trax will back me up here, but apparently the snow record in La Rosiere has been superb at this time of year on a consistent basis.

Do ski companies need to reflect on recent snow history? Even the French ski companies had shut down their chalets by the end of last week. Perhaps it's better to cut off the season with reasonbable snow, rather than risk alienating future custom through extending the season into potentially poor condition weeks. We were out with Espirit, staying at the only chalet they had open. We got the last place 2 days before departure, so they were obviously not over run with business. That said, the previous week was full on, with all chalets open.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy