Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs restaurant advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Hello! First of all, I apologize if I am not putting this question in the right place. I've searched and haven't come up with exactly what I'm seeking, although I have found a few ideas. My family will be in Les Arcs 1950 for the February school break... I know, I know - it will be incredibly crowded! That's why I'm trying to research potential restaurant bookings now. The trouble is that I am unfamiliar with Les Arcs and Paradiski, so I've been poring over piste maps and comparing them to Google maps. My kids (9 and 11) are pretty good skiers (they can go down some of the easier blacks but it's not ideal, even though they claim to like them). They will be in lessons every day from 9-11:30am, which means we will have to meet them back in 1950 at that time.

My question is... where should I be making bookings for lunch on-piste? And/or are there good, reasonably-priced self-service options that would make more sense for us? I have my eye on Belliou La Fumée and Les Chalets de l'Arc. Do either/both of those make sense geographically? (i.e. departing around 11:45am from 1950 and heading in a direction with good slopes) Are there any other eating options people would recommend? I'm all for saving money and going with a self-service option, but I also worry about the crowds.

I have a booking for Chalet de Luigi for our first night there... any other 1950 restaurants I should consider? (we will cook at least half the nights).

Thank you so much in advance - Snowheads has been a great resource for me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can stand something really cheap and basic you could try Meli's burger bar on your doorstep in the centre of 1950.

Only outdoor seating, so you will need a sunny day.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I tend not to eat in the arc2000 valley but when I do it is almost always ski down to pre st espirit and eat at the larger of the two restaurants down there. They have either table or self service and there is a beautiful open fire in the self service bit which is great if you can get in early or late and muscle the kids away from it.

But for a very comprehensive review of the restaurants in Les Arcs try trip advisor http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g562740-Bourg_Saint_Maurice_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both. Cheap and basic is great to know about, especially if the line is short wink

I have been poring over TripAdvisor listings, but it's hard to tell on the map(s) what are downhill from 1950 and what are up a lift (or several) - and for these, are they accessible for evening eating or just during the day?

Just how awful are the lines for the self-service lunch options? (and finding a seat)... thanks again for any guidance. I am torn whether to make bookings for more than I think we will want/need and then cancel if we change our minds (though that's a bit obnoxious) - or - play it by ear to allow for more flexibility and getting to know the area but risk big lines and wait times.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jslatch, I tak eit by lines you mean queues at which point it depends very much on when you go. As an example in the Arpette self service at 12:30 during New Year week the queue can be 10- 15 minutes. At 11:50 or 14:30 on the same day there may not be one at all. You do not reserve tables for self service. I cannot recall much of a queue at the chalet du pre st espirit ever.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes! Sorry - I'm American Smile - I do mean queues! That's very helpful, thank you. Two more questions, if I may...
1. how hard is it to move between the Les Arcs villages on foot? (i.e. after the lifts close for the day) Do you think we'll want to venture out from 1950 once or twice during the evenings?
2. I'm thinking of getting the "Découverte" ski passes that are Les Arcs but allow one day of La Plagne. Or should we shell out the extra 62€ (total) for the Unlimited? (keeping in mind that the kids will be ending up in Les Arcs 1950 every day at 11:30am).

Thank you!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jslatch, hi welcome to snow heads

also in les Arcs at half term- if you see us shout: odd family half on telemark skis- there may be shouting ("hey wait up" etc)

Getting from one village to another after the lifts close is not easy at all- don't bother to try unless you like a challenge.

Lift pass wise one day La plane fine- we almost never go- les Arcs alone is big area and with ski school pick up at 1950 at 11.30 you have answered the question!

Eating- could be better there are some good places and a lot of howlers on pits. Try le Sanglier qui fume (the smoking wild boar) just above Arcs 1600) http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g562740-d6433819-Reviews-Le_Sanglier_qui_Fume-Bourg_Saint_Maurice_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html ideal after the joys of the piste Malgovert (which is a pisteurs joke obviously).

Also la Cordee above Plan Peisey

We tend to slum it with baguettes and smoked salmon / ham unless the weather is rubbish.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ed123, La Cordee that was above Plan Peisey, is no more, I'm afraid. The new name of the restaurant there escapes me at the moment & we haven't tried it. There's always La Vache if you are over that way.

@jslatch, The mushroom place in the middle of the piste above 2000 is good too. If you ask this question over on the Snow Report thread for Les Arcs, I'm sure Snowcrazy Chris will provide names. Enjoy your stay
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been thinking "slumming it" with baguettes etc. may be the way to go for us too! Will have to see what the weather is like. And you certainly have my admiration for telemarking - I love watching you crazy people!

Thank you - I will check out the Snow Report thread for Les Arcs - the only thing I had found was over 10 years old, so I clearly did not look hard enough before posting. Will continue to search & research.

Thank you all! Very much appreciated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jslatch, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2836381#2836381 Here's the Les Arcs thread
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always enjoyed the food in The Mont Blanc Bar in Peisey.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@genepi,
Quote:

La Cordee that was above Plan Peisey, is no more, I'm afraid.

Crying or Very sad
@jslatch,
If you are travelling further afield for lunch then I can recommend the Parentheses in Arc 1800 or the Cairn in the square of 1600. Both of these are only one lift and one piste from Arc1950. I am not sure how familiar you are with French cuisine but I always go for the plat du jour which is usually a very good meal, a little different from the usual spag bol and burgers and a good price. Thinking about it it may be better to ask for places not recommended than those that are.
As to walking between the villages, well I have walked between 1800 and 1600 on a number of occasions and is has been a pleasant half hour or so in the moonlight but 1950 and 2000 are the other side of the mountain and it would be a real trek to join them up to the 1800/1600 side. I would not recommend it. Busses run between the villages until about 20:30 or 21:00
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jslatch, I only ski Les Arcs for about 20 days a year so a lot less than some people but I rarely think of going over to La Plagne on most trips of upto 9 days I find Les Arcs alone is a sufficiently large and varied ski area for me
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jslatch wrote:
I've been thinking "slumming it" with baguettes etc.
There are at least three huts around the resort that offer snacks at a lower cost that sitting down for a full lunch. They're great if the weather is nice and you want a light lunch and a drink while sitting on a deck chair in the sun. The Bulle Cafe (sometimes called the Mushroom Bar, because of its shape) above Arc 2000 will do a big slice of pizza and a drink for around €5, but it can get busy because it's a cheap place to eat in a good location, playing great music. The "Next Door" bar/cafe in the Chantel part of Arc 1800 does good burgers and pizza, and can be quieter than other places as it's a bit tucked out of the way.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is also the option of buying bread, cheese, meat etc in the little supermarket at 1950 and eating it as a picnic, or in your accommodation! When my children were the age of yours they would have required food asap upon meeting with me! Come to think of it mine still required food asap after meeting with me at lunch time last week in Ste Foy and they are now all in their 20`s Laughing
snow conditions
CaravanSkier wrote:
There is also the option of buying bread, cheese, meat etc in the little supermarket at 1950 and eating it as a picnic, or in your accommodation!

Not really an option, more a requirement for many!
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
jslatch wrote:
I've been thinking "slumming it" with baguettes etc.
There are at least three huts around the resort that offer snacks at a lower cost that sitting down for a full lunch. They're great if the weather is nice and you want a light lunch and a drink while sitting on a deck chair in the sun. The Bulle Cafe (sometimes called the Mushroom Bar, because of its shape) above Arc 2000 will do a big slice of pizza and a drink for around €5, but it can get busy because it's a cheap place to eat in a good location, playing great music. The "Next Door" bar/cafe in the Chantel part of Arc 1800 does good burgers and pizza, and can be quieter than other places as it's a bit tucked out of the way.

Is the waffle shop still there in 1950, used to be a good 'snack' option?
snow report
@ed123, Agreed Smile
snow report
This is all great information! Thank you to all. I feel much better prepared (made a big grocery list, including LUNCH supplies). Much appreciated.
latest report
@bertie bassett, yes the waffles are still there.
@jslatch, having been in 1950 for the past 12 years (I own an apartment there) I can confirm a lot of the above.

Let's start with Lunchtime in 1950 itself:
I didn't use to like Melis, but ate there last week, and while it isn't typical French fare, it is good old burgers, dogs and fries type stuff - €10 gets you a 'meal' combo. and it is a fuel stop that works.
You could also try the Wood Bear Café - highly recommended, but small. Good range of bagels.
A lot of the time we also take the baguette option back to the apartment - the ski-in-out convenience allows you to do this without losing too much time. The supermarket is now open 8-to-8, and the bakery opposite 7:30 - 7:30 (which is great for sending the kids to, for fresh croissants each day).

Evenings - the supermarket does roast chickens which are easy to supplement with potatoes and veg in the kitchen yourself, or Mazot, Savoyard and Luigis are all good options. Don't forget to pop into Georges Wine bar, which is where most of the Anglophones (aka Brits) hang out.

Out and About:
The Mushroom (La Bulle on your map) is the place for pizza, cheap eats, or indeed Fruit de Mer. You can get there with one lift from 1950 (Marmottes), just. Chalets de l'Arcs is more typical, but can be busy,
The newly refurbished Pre St Esprit is not at all bad, and has the option of self serve or service. But if you want to get a place by the fire, go early.
Le smoking boar (above) 1600 is a nice place, but is not cheap. If in 1600, try the Panoramique, which is in the block just below the lifts.
La Vache in Peisey has a good rep, And the one on the hill in the Peisey Bowl (as above) is called Les Enfants Terrible, but isn't.

If you head to Villaroger, then the Solliet half way down the piste is the place to go. Great ribs.

Passes: Decouverte will work for you as a first time visitor. As I say, I've been for some 30 weeks skiing there, and yet have spend no more than 10 days in La Plagne. Its a nice change for sure, and does give a sense of 'travelling' or adventure to go far and wide, so yes, go for it: but there will be plenty for you do to in Les Arcs. As I generally say, if you want to spend 3 days or more in la Plagne, when you are based in Les Arcs, you've booked the wrong resort. (Before la plagne lovers jump on me, the same applies the other way too!) And, given that you are collecting from Ski School in 1950, it is 35 - 40 mins to the Vanoise, so that'll restrict your opportunities anyway (as last lift back is 4:15 or thereabouts). But certainly do it once ( and go on the bottom deck - which has a glass viewing pod so you can see all of the 380m drop beneath you...)

Inter village travel: 2000 and 1950 are linked by a pedestrian lift, open until 11:30pm these days (with an hours' break between 8:30 and 9:30 I think - check local listings) but the others are not really accessible (or indeed necessary) for evenings out. The free shuttle busses will enable to you finish your day in the other villages, and have a après drink before returning home, so no need to panic about being back in the 2000 bowl before lifts close.

Have a great time, and feel free to ask more info either on this thread or the les arcs snow reports
ski holidays
Quote:

La Cordee that was above Plan Peisey, is no more, I'm afraid. The new name of the restaurant there escapes me at the moment & we haven't tried it. There's always La Vache if you are over that way.

I called in on Saturday and it is indeed still there and still serving excellent food at respecable prices. 12.5euro got me pork with bacon with a nice mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and a mash of carrots. I cannot think where I could get such a good meal for that price in the UK
ski holidays
@johnE, is that Vache or Enfants?
snow report
@Arctic Roll, La Cordee. It is still where it always was
ski holidays
Go down the aiguille rouge to villaroger some great out of the way places down there and a great ski down if conditions are right.
ski holidays
@jslatch, In Peisey- at the bottom- to the left of the huge lift to la Plagne is the Solan restaurant. Please please never ever eat there. Food, prices and service suck. Quite OK for a hot chocolate or a beer. Eating there is as they say a recipe for disaster.
snow report
We also like the 'secret hot chocolate stop' aka the ski olympic chalet hotel la foret- which you stumble upon if you ski down la foret (a blue) down into Vallandry and take the final left fork for the Grizzly chair- friendly service, hot chocolate with marshmallows and chilli and nachos for cheap. Just the place for a mellow hour if it's snowing.
snow report
We love the waffle shop in 1950. Discovered it years ago when the kids were little and 1950 was new. Since then whenever we're in Les Arcs we have to have at least one of our elevenses stops there, and there is always the obligatory photo of whichever of the kids are with us, to Facebook/Whatsapp to the rest of the original group who aren't with us. Trouble is, they're none of them kids anymore - the most recent visit was 2 weeks ago and it happened to be my daughter's 19th birthday!
Our tactic to avoid queues is to have a hot chocolate stop about 11.30, maybe with some chips to share, or a sneakily eaten cereal bar or croissant from breakfast, and then stop properly nearer 2 when the queues have gone.
snow conditions
The dome bar just above arc 2000 was our favourite lunch spot at Christmas. Great music and reasonably priced pizzas, sandwiches, seafood and drinks. You can't book though
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

La Cordee that was above Plan Peisey, is no more, I'm afraid. The new name of the restaurant there escapes me at the moment & we haven't tried it. There's always La Vache if you are over that way.

I called in on Saturday and it is indeed still there and still serving excellent food at respecable prices. 12.5euro got me pork with bacon with a nice mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and a mash of carrots. I cannot think where I could get such a good meal for that price in the UK

The restaurant is still there - just under new management & now called Restaurant de Montagne though. Glad it is still good Smile
snow report
Quote:

johnE wrote:
Quote:

The restaurant is still there - just under new management & now called Restaurant de Montagne though. Glad it is still good Smile

The signs said Cordee as did the menus on Saturday. Perhaps they haven't go around to changing it yet.

The menu has changed, however, their brilliant steak tatare and the trout are no longer on the menu
snow report
Besides Chalet de Luigi in 1950, try La Ferme in Villaroger!
snow conditions
+1 for La Cordee/Montagne

We had morning lessons finishing in Plan Peisey last week, and the food and service got us back nearly everyday for lunch. Somewhat confusingly looking up from the bottom of the Peisey chair there's a big banner saying restaurant la Montagne. But once you make it to the restaurant everything else says Cordee.

One to avoid is the snack bar next to the Vanoise Express, really bad and overpriced food.

Had an evening meal in Le Solan, food was OK but service terrible, perhaps better in small groups.
ski holidays
patrick! wrote:
Besides Chalet de Luigi in 1950, try La Ferme in Villaroger!
+1 great run down the aguille rouge and good food at the bottom.
ski holidays
Just want to (re-) thank you for all these great tips! We arrive in Les Arcs tomorrow and are in for a very snowy week, it appears, but I still hope to make it to a few of these mid-piste restaurants (at least for un petit chocolat ou vin chaud!). Many are not accepting reservations during the big school-vacation-week, so wish us luck Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Was in les Coches last week - spent 4 out of 6 days in les Arcs.
As for eating options:-
Mont Blanc in Peisey
I wouldn't recommend the Enfants Terribles above Vallandry as the "nice" lady was quite rude to one of our party,
Blanche Muree just below the Transarc mid-station is a good shout,
as is la Creche at the top of Col de la Cha
and the mushroom bar above 2000
there's a stone built restaurant on the piste between the mushroom and 200 called something Savoie which is VERY nice, but VERY expensive
and finally Luigis served a perfect lunch for our last ski day on Fri, but being in 1950, it's not the cheapest.
If you make it over to la Plagne, le carroley at the bottom of the Crozets lift is worth a look as it les Pierres Blanches, but my favourite restaurant in the whole region is les Borselliers away over at the far right of the piste map in Champagny en Vanoise.
Enjoy!
CW Happy
latest report
Le Rilax in Vallandry does a superb French onion soup for 8.50 euros - I had it twice last week Smile
ski holidays
Their chocolat chaud in Rilax was good too, we sampled it on Friday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy