Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen/Grindelwald advice please

Poster: A snowHead
We're hoping to go to Jungfrau region for a long weekend. Have booked flights to Zurich landing late on a weds (9:30pm), flying back Mon 6am (staying over at Zurich airport on Sunday night). Just looking for a bit of advice if possible...

1) The train out of the question when we land, so should we hire a car and drive over to Jungfrau when we land or stay overnight in Zurich and get the earliest train Thurs am? Is a car necessary once we are there? Are snowchains required?
2) We are both good intermediates, should we stay in Grindelwald or Wengen? Or even Lauterbrunnan? Going for the skiing, e.g. up early, ski, dinner, bed early. Not really bothered about après.

Any other tips gladly appreciated.
Only booked flights at the moment so if anyone has any better suggestions for resorts they will be most welcome. We would like to cover a lot of intermediate terrain in the few days we have.

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A car is definitely not necessary in Wengen. I've only been there is summer but I can't see why a car would be needed once there - the lifts, trains and buses are so efficient and integrated.

First train out of Zurich airport gets you to Grindlewald at 8:39 so easy to ski that day.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Tommy. Yes, am thinking the same. Thought train might add up to be expensive but discovered you can get a 'Swiss Transfer Ticket' between any 2 points for £97 return. Will work out cheaper than car/fuel.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely stay in Wengen - much more skiing available than in Grindelwald and try to get a day in Murren just across the valley.
No cars allowed in Wengen. Quiet season so should be no prob with accommodation. It is the most beautiful resort in the world.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JohnDory, there are also supersaver tickets that are heavily discounted and can be booked online (www.sbb.ch). You have to travel on specific trains and the discount varies, but always worth looking at as an alternative to the Swiss Transfer Ticket.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We visit Grindelwald/Murren/Wengen 2 or 3 times a year., Summer and Winter. If you stay in Wengen or Murren you will need to get the train (for Wengen) or Cable car (for Murren) to the villages. No cars allowed in either, so you will have to park in Lauterbrunnen. I often see people lugging skis up to Wengen on the train which whilst isn't far is heavy going if you have lots of gear. If you are wanting to go between Grindelwald and Wengen it is quite a long way even if you use the cable cars. I would personally stay in Grindelwald as there is more going on and drive, although the trains run like clockwork around the Jungfrau region. Wengen gets you just as easy to Kleine Scheidegg and Maanlichen for the skiing but purely for more to do Grindelwald every time. Murrwn is beautiful and near the Schiltorn but not a lot to do unlike Grindelwald. If you stay in Grindelwald you have Grosse Scheidegg amd Firstbahn for skiing so a much wider choice of slopes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="emmaski"]We visit Grindelwald/Murren/Wengen 2 or 3 times a year., Summer and Winter. If you stay in Wengen or Murren you will need to get the train (for Wengen) or Cable car (for Murren) to the villages. No cars allowed in either, so you will have to park in Lauterbrunnen. I often see people lugging skis up to Wengen on the train which whilst isn't far is heavy going if you have lots of gear. If you are wanting to go between Grindelwald and Wengen it is quite a long way even if you use the cable cars. I would personally stay in Grindelwald as there is more going on and drive, although the trains run like clockwork around the Jungfrau region. Wengen gets you just as easy to Kleine Scheidegg and Maanlichen for the skiing but purely for more to do Grindelwald every time. Murren is beautiful and near the Schiltorn range but not a lot to do unlike Grindelwald. If you stay in Grindelwald you have Grosse Scheidegg amd Firstbahn for skiing so a much wider choice of slopes. Also if you have a jungrau pass you can use all the trains, gondolas and buses all day long. The cable car from Grindelwald and Maanlichen will take you abo 45 in total maybe a little longer as Maanlichen is a very long cable car.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JohnDory, rather a coincidence but yesterday I booked flights to Basel from Bristol for a surprise long weekend for Mrs Jirac early March. Its our first time ever away without the kids!! Toofy Grin I have reserved an apt in Grindelwald for three nights as it looks the livelier place as we'll defo want a bit of après and village life too but still researching a better deal/option. Never skied the area before but everyone speaks very highly of it so can't wait.

I've looked at trains too but at £95 each seems a bit expensive and takes quite a bit longer to transfer via Interlaken than driving so I'm going to hire a car I think not that we'll need it once we're there but it is half the cost of train.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stay in Wengen. It has the most intermediate terrain of the 3 villages, and you can be skiing within 5 minutes by using the Mannlichen cable car. Grindelwald has access to the same terrain, but it takes a long time to reach it via the train or the slow gondola.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@telford_mike, I'm a tad confused not knowing the area at all so perhaps you can help. The apt I have reserved is within walking distance of the village centre and godola at Grindelwald. Is it convoluted from their to get to the slopes or is just that that is a long gondola ride? How long does it take to get over to Wengen from Grindelwald if we were to ski a day there. We only have two full days skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plus the cheapest aptt I can find in Wengen is £100 more than the one in Grindelwald, so is it worth the extra cost in your opinion?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just looking at the car hire from Basel Airport is circa £100 from Swiss side but only £45 from French side? Bit odd.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jirac18, Partly yes. If you can walk to the Firstbahn you have a long gondola ride and not much terrain when you get up there. The gondola to Mannlichen takes longer still, and you'll probably have to get a bus to the lift before you even start. Alternatively you can take the train to Kleine Scheidegg from the middle of the village, but this also takes a long time.

Pay the extra £100, stay in Wengen and you can hop on the Mannlichen cable car and have miles of great intermediate skiing literally 5 minutes later.

This makes it sound like Grindelwald is a hopeless place - it isn't - it's nice and I often go over there for a day. But if you only have a weekend you want to spend as much time as you can on the piste, and as little time as possible on trains or gondolas. Wengen delivers this.

Edited to add - come on the train from Zurich - you can't bring a car to Wengen and parking in the valley is expensive.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No go to Grindelwald trust me. The cable car from Grindelwald to Maanlichen is 25 mins, then you can get a cable car to Wengen 5 mins. In Grindelwald you can link into either side, First or Maanlichen/Kleinne scheidegg.These are the real places for skiing along with the Lauberhorn. Wengen limits your options. If you have a car in Grindelwald you can drive to your apartment. Wengen you can't.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks guys I'm trying to keep cost down a bit too and see that to park at lauterbrunnen is another 64chf whereas there is free parking at the hotel in Grindelwald (it all adds up). I think we'll stick with Grindelwald and ski that side day 1 and Wengen side day 2. Granted I'd prefer to not sit on gondolas for too long but there's always a weigh off.

Are there any ski lockers at the Gondola station?
snow report
You are doing the right thing trust me. Wengen has no cars and if you hire a car it would sit in Lauterbrunnen and you would be paying for it. Wengen is very popular but evenings offer more variety for food bars etc.
ski holidays
Thanks for all your advice so far. What puts me off with the car is that we won't arrive at Grindelwald until around midnight.. are the roads surrounding the area ok in the dark in wintry conditions or are they pretty scary for a first timer?
snow report
It's switzerland, everything runs like clockwork. The streets are washed down in the high street every day. You will be fine. We have been going there year round for the past 50 years. The transport network is great. The train station takes you to the Jungfraujoch, Kleine Scheidegg and the bottom of Maanlichenbahn. If you need advice on hotels etc let us know.
snow report
Thank for all your advice. We've decided to use the train, staying over in Zurich when we land late on weds and getting early train thurs am. Now undecided whether to stay in the Hotel Derby in Grindelwald or in Wengen at the Wengener Hof/Regina (splash out options) or Jungflaublick (cheaper). Anyone had any experience of any of these? Thanks if you can help
snow report
The Hotel Derby is right on the railway station platform. It couldn't be more convenient. Nice hotel, pleasant management, good spot for an apres beer as well!
snow conditions
Thanks LOTA, That's what we were thinking. Is that the same train station you use for lifts/skiing etc?
ski holidays
@JohnDory, Wengenerhof is about 250 metres from the cable car to Mannlichen, Jungfraublick about the same. Both are nice hotels.
ski holidays
Yes, it is the same RAILWAY station from where the trains take you, slowly, to the skiing at Kleine Scheidigg etc.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 1-02-16 12:17; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@JohnDory, despite what @emmaski says I'd agree with @telford_mike, Wengen is the much better skiing option especially if you're only there for a few days. I found the slow lifts out of Grindelwald a pita, much preferred Wengen and being in Wengen makes the Schilthorn do-able (which is worth it) whereas it would be a real schlep from Grindelwald.

Obviously the choice is yours but I'd definitely pay the extra and go for Wengen snowHead
ski holidays
Don't agree at all. There is much more going on in Grindelwald. Wengen is great but sleepy and again Grindelwald won't give you parking issues unlike not being able to drive to Wengen. You can access Maanlichen, Kleine Scheidegg, First, Lauberhorn from Grindelwald. I would seriously think twice about Wengen. I think over 50 holidays in the region should be enough experience of the area to pass on to others. I have seen so many people struggle on and off trains in Wengen, getting too and from Lauterbrunnen with all their gear. TBH where are you going to ski from Wengen apart from Kleine Scheidegg? It will take you over an hour to get from wengen to the Schiltorn region anyway which is madness. Where can you ski from Wengen??? Go where the variety of slopes are and somewhere that will offer you a better variety of transport links, restaurants etc. It has to be Grindelwald, end of!
latest report
Rowlski wrote:
makes the Schilthorn do-able (which is worth it) whereas it would be a real schlep from Grindelwald.

Tell me about it.. was in Grindelwald in Jan last year and decided to head over to Piz Gloria.. out of hotel, bus to train station, train to Zweilütschinen, change for train to Lauterbrunnen, change to cable car, change to train to Mürren, change for Funicular... all very nicely choreographed in true Swiss style, so not much waiting at any of the changes, but it was slow going, and 10.45 before boot hit binding for the first time Sad
ski holidays
Why would you want to go over the the Schiltorn valley when the OP has limited time, will have the hastle and cost of parking in Lauterbrunnen. You have two valleys if you are in Grindelwald AND he can park the car outside his hotel....what a novelty Puzzled
snow conditions
Nice that we all like different places I guess Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have to say I may eat my own words here as I do love Murren/Gimmelwald etc in the Summer for walking but for skiing definately Grindelwald. I adore Wengen but would feel quite cut off for skiing.
latest report
If I only had 4 days I would either do Grindelwald and ski 2 days in First and 2 in Mannlichen/KS (Wouldn't need an area pass just a local one). From Wengen though I could do 1 day in First, 2 days in KS and 1 in Murren. (Would need area pass). Skiing First from Wengen I would take the lift to Mannlichen, ski down to Grund (a lovely run), get the bus to First, ski First from left to right (West to East) and then ski down, (to get down to the bottom of run 22 by 1430 to take the bus to the station in time to get the 1447 train) take the train to KS and lift up Lauberhorn (must be there by 4 ish) and then ski back to Wengen. Skiing Murren from Wengen is OK, by taking 0833 or 0903 train down to Lauterbrunnen, up the lift to Grutsalp, then the train to Winteregg, up the chair lift and ski the runs there, then across to Allmenhubel and down to Murren. Up to the lift to Schilthorn and ski down and around the runs at Birg, before coming down for a late lunch at Allmendhubel (share the Schitzel - its the best ever) before a few runs across at Schiltgrat, with the final run down back to the funicular at Murren (route 6), up the funicular and then skiing back down to Winteregg and back as out. It's no problem to spend a couple of days skiing from Mannlichen across to KS and around the KS area. If you fancy doing the Lauberhorn, try doing it earlier than later, especially if you fancy whizzing down it.
snow conditions
Thing is from wengen, in order to do Murren or Schiltorn you need to get on the train to Lauterbrunnen, cable car to Grütschalp, then train to Murren. It eats into ski time. That is why Grindelwald gets you skiinh straight away.
ski holidays
Its only 45 mins from Wengen to Winteregg, and then you're straight onto a chair lift. It must be about the same to get up to First from most places in Grindelwald.
ski holidays
Depends...in school hols the Grütschalp cable car can get really busy. Even though it is huge we have had to wait before at busy times. I know waiting for trains year round can add to journey times.
snow report
I must admit I never go in the school holidays, I even hate skiing there on the Sunday. I went two weeks ago and it was virtually empty
snow conditions
Hmm. We were there for Christmas and the trains were beyond crammed full. Not pleasant. There were no queues at the First and Maanlichenbahn but the trains in Grindelwald, Wengen and Kleine were full.
ski holidays
Emmaski
Not really fair to pass comment on queues this Xmas as the snow line was unusually high and no runs to the valley or nursery slopes in the village open so the result everybody had to go up to ski
Once there the skiing wasn't bad at all compared to many resorts this last Xmas and New Year
snow conditions
It wasn't but we are there each year and visit 3 or 4 times a year so just speaking from 40 years experience of the resort. Yes, no snow below Holenstein but the trains from Zweilütschinen were crammed beyond what is safe to Lauterbrunnen as well. We wouldn't of fallen over as we were crammed in so tight. I am surprised it was not a health and safety issue.
ski holidays
So we're back from Jungfrau and just wanted to say thanks for all your help and advice. Had a fantastic time and we'll definitely be returning. Having now visited we can see the attractions of both staying in Grindelwald and Wengen. We stayed at the Sunstar Alpine in Wengen, great hotel right next to the lift. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. Arrived Zurich late Wednesday evening, stayed at airport. Took early train to Wengen, checked in and were on the slopes by 12ish. Skied Wengen Thursday pm, fantastic conditions, blue skies. Friday woke up to about 8cm of fresh powder, explored more of Wengen but low visibility meant an early afternoon finish. Saturday skied over to Grund, took the bus to Grindelwald/First. Got to top of First but again low vis and heavy snow meant us newbies came straight back down in the Gondola (along with many others). Went back over and skied Wengen. Sunday up early, trains etc over to Murren area and followed the advice/itinerary of DixieDean (including lunch tip) - thank you. Had a brilliant blue sky day over there although conditions slushy by late afternoon. Back to Zurich airport on 6pm train ready for early flight this morning. Now we've been and seen it for ourselves, we will probably stay in Wengen again next time. Agreed Grindelwald has a lot more going on in the village, shops, restaurants etc but for us we are more early to bed, early to rise kind of people. Murren/Schiltorn was a very long day but we are glad we made the effort. Thanks again for all your help, tips etc, it really was appreciated and most helpful.
latest report
Glad you enjoyed yourselves Very Happy
latest report
Hi guys, glad to hear you had a great time and that you enjoyed your trip to Murren and especially the Schnitzel at Allmendhubel. A long day, but good fun. I'm afraid we are always first out and last in Very Happy

I forgot to mention the Apple Fritters and custard at Brandegg Sad To die for. Next time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy