Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brand Spanking New - The Ultimate Ski Guide

Poster: A snowHead
A friend of mine, David Holyoak, yesterday launched the online version of Ultimate Sports' Ski Guides. You can find it HERE!

Currently covering some of the top resorts in Europe and the US the guides are intended to be the definitive reference on where to ski and what to expect when you get there.

Contributors include Arnie Wilson, the FT ski correspondent and editor of "Ski and Board" and Warren Smith.

I think it's extremely cool snowHead . What do you folks think?

(PS I have NO financial involvement!)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think Nick Parks should have been a Jockey. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, Well I'm sure they'll appreciate the 'plug' wink

Well worked site although it doesn't flow well L to R IMHO . Shame that the content is so limited in terms of resort scope though. Hardly the 'definitive' work given the (relatively) few resorts covered compared to other sites although it at least evident that the resorts have been visited and skied( judging by the ones that I have visited.)

To be 'definitive', I would expect piste maps etc., etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
eEvans, there are piste maps - at least I found a couple, and one of them was out of date.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eEvans, I am sure too. That I said, I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't think at least ONE snowhead might be interested!!

The site is (and in fact will always probably be) a work in progress. The content is still being added - the idea being best to launch with something rather than wait until coverage was "perfect". The objective is to become definitive which will hopefully happen over time. The aim on the first resorts was to get the "biggest"/most "popular" names in.

Content still to be added includes piste maps, webcams, other links.

It's noce to see that you've already noticed that the resorts have all been visited, sometimes frequently! No second hand content.

Wear The Fox Hat, which one was out of date? I believe these were supplied by the resorts themselves, so NVG if they're not up to date!! EDITED as I just checked the BB forum. Thanks for noting that. And thanks for your initial approval. I shall pass all that on...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, Fair Enough, there is no doubt that the Home Page editorial clearly states that the scope will be extended. However the following quote from 'Switzerland' implies that the 'scope' is unnecessary and the website will limit itself to its 'recommendations'...

"In all there’s sufficient quality to choose from that even a significant ski resort like Crans Montana fails to make the cut for this website despite its size and conventional ranking." , OH that none of us ever had teething problems !! Your comments understood !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The info on LDA was good, and pretty much up to date. Also concurring with me that it's a good place for strong skiers and off piste + beginners, but not so good for intermediates! Only thing was .............. I'm not mentioned on the ski schools page Shocked Shocked Shocked I've emailed them about it!!! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eEvans, I will have to refer you to the editors! Exact expansion policy escapes me. The book version (at least the US volume) was intended (as books are necessarily limited in space) to highlight the "best" resorts, by a variety of criteria. Obviously the web is infinite in capacity, and the limitation is simply work, investment, cash, time, etc. wink

easiski, I will have words! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, AFAIK, the content should be good. Every resort is well known to the contributors - and as you've seen most contributors are well known and respected in their fields. I'm pleased it agrees with you and I infer you like it (obvious omission notwithstanding!)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It doesn't include Wengen. The link from snowHeads should be struck immediately wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, where's wengen? wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, not sure? It's one of those places,like La Rossiere, that can't possibly exist in real life snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B, I agree, Wengen is too beautiful to be real Smile Don't bother going there... I like my dreams not too crowded Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ronald, you dreamof the hotel Falken? You're weird wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch, david has already replied - very impressive! Seriously, many guides keep saying LDA is good for intermediates - I wonder if they've just looked at the piste map and not actually been here - or if they're not good enough skiers to actually try the harder stuff?? This guide is seriously spot on for here, as you say the contributors are serious skiers.
ski holidays
easiski, the joys of a blackberry!

The guides are intended for serious skiers (not, I hasten to add, necessarily GOOD skiers. Just people who want good information when choosing a resort and good advice on what to do on arrival). As David H. said several years ago, he wanted excellent pictures of skiing, not kids in primary colour romper suits sitting on chairlifts.

Interesting regarding other "guides". Many years ago a friends brother landed his "dream" job as a resort reviewer for a major UK ski magazine. In full expectation of many trips here there and everywhere he turned up on day 1 and was told his 1st assignment was going to be a review of St Anton.

Totally delighted he asked, "Where do I get my tickets?"

Much hilarity from his colleagues who showed him their collection of old skis guide books, competitive magazines and the prior years issue. "Get reading and we'll expect a first draft this afternoon," was their sage advice. I kid you not. Sure enough, several weeks later, "This year's review" duly appeared in print, written completely by someone who'd never set foot within 100 miles of the place.
snow report
David Murdoch, I don't intend to not see my hotel from the inside awake a lot, so i don't really care for it ;P

Anyway, if the falken is worse then where I will stay, the falken should seriously lower her prices Very Happy

(I don't really have the money to spend 2x 2weeks at D G Orfs favourite place Wink )
ski holidays
Ronald, he he he
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy