Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Technique Video

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

http://youtube.com/v/7rL3FcK1LKw

Been trying to work on balance and movement. Any observations/suggestions welcome!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting to note how many sHs will offer advice without seeing how you ski but noone brave enough to offer an opinion when there is video evidence!

For my money you look a bit stiff.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a quick look but only on my phone, will have a better look tomorrow. Generally very tidy. One some of your turns to the right I think you are not well balanced on the outside ski, getting a bit stuck on your inside ski momentarily. This might be caused by the rate your lateral movement at the start of the turn.

The gradient of that slope isn’t enough to challenge you to see where things break down, or to give you large enough forces to work with to influence the shape of the turn after the setup phase. If you can get some video on something at a higher speed that might be a good test.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They aren't what I'd call medium turns more like edge changes in the same direction down a very gentle slope.

That said you looked like you had a reasonably stacked and functional stance. Maybe work on a bit wider stance and actually rounding out turns.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@narbs, looks pretty good. As @rob@rar, said looks like you’re A framing a bit with your inside ski on the right hand turns. More weight on the outside ski, pull your right knee back and focus on keeping the skis parallel. Will be more pronounced on a steeper slope.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wish I could ski like that!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks tidy, but even I could look tidy on that pitch.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Your turns follow an easy rhythm.
On your right hand turns yours skis are not parallel and the trajectory that you follow is more in the line of the inner ski than the outer one. This would suggest that you are not steering the outer ski correctly and that your weight distribution is incorrect.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all - it definitely wasn't the steepest slope, it's true!

I'd been working on getting more balance on the outside ski too, which I seem to have managed on my weaker turn (left) but not the previously stronger one. I'll keep trying Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@narbs, what kind of things are you doing to help you balance on the outside ski?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, lifting the inside ski during the turn, dragging the pole over the outside ski - those have been the main two.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@narbs, thats a good one - you could try lifting the inner ski earlier and earlier in the turn on a slope similiar steepness to that in the video? Make sure the tip doesn't lift up though!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@narbs,
Quote:

Don't worry about it. Long ago I worked out that the most important skill in skiing is picking a slope that will make you look good Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@narbs,
Quote:

Don't worry about it. Long ago I worked out that the most important skill in skiing is picking a slope that will make you look good Very Happy
Agreed. Find a slope, perfect it, then move onto a slightly steeper one.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

No, no no! All that happens then is you start looking bad once again.

Find a slope, perfect it, then swan down it looking amazing ad infinitum. Very Happy
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

No, no no! All that happens then is you start looking bad once again.

Find a slope, perfect it, then swan down it looking amazing ad infinitum. Very Happy

Yes Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Generally good rhythm, nicely rounded turns, and very good balance in the middle of the turn.

Your skis, however, are diverging at the start of the turn, more on one side than the other but you can see it on both. It looks to me like you are initiating the new turn with your new "inside" ski. The good news is your balance is forward, but that balance is a bit focussed on the tip of the new inside ski rather than committed to the new outside ski. Focus on moving your centre of mass (hips) both forward and across at the start of the turn, be patient as your skis flatten in the transition then focus on feeling pressure on the big toe over your new outside ski.
Exercises I would recommend:
1. Snowplough slowly on a gentle piste. Focus on initiating the turn, at low speed, with the front of the new outside ski. Low speed will help you focus on the feeling you are looking for in the transition and especially how important it is to pressure from the outside toe, then ankle then knee then hip. And the snowplough means you can focus 100% on that feeling. It looks to me that you might be doing it the other way round, i.e. from the top of your body down!
2. When skiing parallel, lift the new inside ski off the snow earlier and earlier in the turn to test your limits on early transition and balance on the new outside ski. Really try to find the limit, i.e. you should be really struggling to maintain balance, otherwise you may not get the progression to committing to the new outside ski early in the turn.
3. Bit advanced but also great fun! Use the baby slope (short lift and gentle slope), take one ski off completely and make controlled, rounded turns. You will find the only way to do this is to progressively pressure the front of the ski, with good ankle flexation.
Good luck!
ski holidays
Equipment issue - appears to be a massive split down the middle of your snowboard and your bindings seem set to +90/+90!

Toofy Grin
latest report
harrim51 wrote:
Wish I could ski like that!
+1
latest report
looks rather rigid and as a result not very natural, but its not bad but i guess your technique will fall apart on steeper pitches, the inside ski does not run parallel with the outside ski as a result of lifting and placing the inside ski, you should be able to let the skis run,edge to edge on such a gentle slope.
snow report
Personally, I think there is a lot right going on there...and I think that knowing you are being filmed, especially for public consumption, can cause you to ski in a more unrelaxed, self conscious way......a bit like when an instructor tells you to wait, while he does 20 turns down the mountain, stops and waves his pole as a signal for you to come down under his eagle eye.
ski holidays
I'm no instructor or expert but many have said what i see as your problem a d it will kill you on steep icy slopes. you're holding on to the old downhill/outside ski too long. That pressure built up on the downhill/outside ski needs releasing and distributing on the uphill/inside ski. This then puts the weight in the place you want it prior to the new turn really starting. you're new downhill/outside skis edge will be engaged above the fall line giving you control over your skis destiny.
probably doesn't mean a lot in words so best ignore most of what ive said
snow report
Thanks all, some good stuff to go away and work on. @Richard_Sideways, apart from the snowboard thing obvs Very Happy

@zikomo, really good advice. I did a *lot* of snowploughing last year for my L1 and it did me a lot of good in developing the feel of good balance and turning.
ski holidays
@narbs, aha if you've done L1 then slow plough parallel is a cracking one to try, very hard to get that inside ski tracking and smooth unless your balance and weight distribution is spot on!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy