Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Jump returns

Poster: A snowHead
@larkim, Never thought of it like that.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The BBC is reporting that Beth has had bone graft on two neck vertabrae which appear to have also been fused together. This is not "routine surgery" and she is very lucky to have movement in her arms and legs. She could so easily be quadraplegic. I hope she makes a full recovery
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Beth Tweedle needed neck surgery after crashing.

More than just a bit of neck surgery. Bone grafted from her hip and fused to two broken vertebrae in the neck. Don't know about you but I call that a broken neck (but I'm not a doctor) and a very sore hip. So that one might well have been a paralysis if luck had gone the other way.

Melinda Messenger's concussion in previous series could have been another Natasha Richardson. Who knows?

Collar bones and arms repair but heads and necks area different story.

They are riding their luck big time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, OK, snap.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
impingu1984 wrote:
@chrisrawles,

I'm pretty sure the "celebs" are on some pretty epic danger money and they aren't forced to sign up for it.

Is it exploitation? Probably... but they will be well compensated I sure and ultimately know the risks when they sign up.

I'm sure they are warned, but the one off Holby was injured when she nearly landed on top of someone when she was practicing the jump. A fraction of a second either way and both her and whoever was on skis in the landing area could have been hurt far more badly.
Who on earth let her start that jump when the landing area wasn't clear?? Whoever is organising and overseeing the safety needs to start doing their job - that incident simply shouldnt have happened.

Apparently Beth Tweddle's routine surgery is to fuse fractured vertebrae in her neck. I've never had a routine surgery to fuse vertebrae in my neck...

Still, I'm looking forward to next week
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Has Eddie The Eagle been nobbled by his paymasters? https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/tvs-jump-celebs-not-practising-enough-eddie-eagle-063459243.html

He's blaming the competitors for their injuries! Almost the opposite of what he was saying yesterday.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Who on earth let her start that jump when the landing area wasn't clear?? Whoever is organising and overseeing the safety needs to start doing their job - that incident simply shouldnt have happened.

The person she hit was i believe one of the camera team and was possibly meant to be there, but probably shouldn't have been if they'd assessed the risk a little more. I'd assume long wide jumping planks at speed piloted by an inexperienced skier coupled with a static cameraman on skis (who wouldnt be able to get out of the way quickly) wasn't the best of combinations.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pruman wrote:
Has Eddie The Eagle been nobbled by his paymasters? https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/tvs-jump-celebs-not-practising-enough-eddie-eagle-063459243.html

He's blaming the competitors for their injuries! Almost the opposite of what he was saying yesterday.

Well if he's been there observing everything then he might have a point. If they drill stopping from speed until it's second nature then they're unlikely to run into a barrier. But I'd suspect that some of it is limited access time given by the producers and the extra TV faff of having a crew around filming training, putting slap on, side pieces of "ooh I'm terribly nervous" etc etc
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@marcellus Surely similar to a backstroke movement though, just goes to show how fragile the body is.....

I'm not sure how you can associate back stroke with an impact injury. Plus she's a freestyler. My kid's swim coach was Becky's strength and conditioning coach from the age of about 13, she's done an awful lot of work on her body and by all account still does. I think it shows more that no matter how much you stay in shape you can injure yourself doing stuff like this.

I can't imagine how many times Beth Tweddle must have landed badly in her gymnastics career before getting this injury. Hope she gets better soon too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skribble, it wasn't an impact injury. She goes of the jump and starts winding down the windows. Halfway through the air you can see her reaching for the shoulder, way before landing/impact.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kaiserpc wrote:
so far we've had;
Linford - hamstring
Ricky - thigh
Her off Holby - dislocated elbow and arm broken
Tweddle - back/neck - Davina called it "routine back surgery"
Irish singer - breathing problems
Posh boy - some other minor injury
Becky Adlington - dislocated shoulder

There's also the girl who was eliminated in the first week. When they were saying their goodbyes at the end of the show she had a cast on her wrist/over her thumb that didn't get mentioned. (just looked her up - Louise Lytton)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rogg Thanks for correcting me. I made an assumption. @marcellus That's a good point you made Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg wrote:
@skribble, it wasn't an impact injury. She goes of the jump and starts winding down the windows. Halfway through the air you can see her reaching for the shoulder, way before landing/impact.

Was it not the fact she had her hand on her knees all the way down the ramp and when she hit the transition her upper body went down popping her shoulder. Mind then it would have been difficult ti wind windows down then. Just a thought.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rogg wrote:
kaiserpc wrote:
so far we've had;
Linford - hamstring
Ricky - thigh
Her off Holby - dislocated elbow and arm broken
Tweddle - back/neck - Davina called it "routine back surgery"
Irish singer - breathing problems
Posh boy - some other minor injury
Becky Adlington - dislocated shoulder

There's also the girl who was eliminated in the first week. When they were saying their goodbyes at the end of the show she had a cast on her wrist/over her thumb that didn't get mentioned. (just looked her up - Louise Lytton)

Broken Ankle now too.

looking like the slowest is going to win by default of being last person standing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Every time this thread comes back to the top, I assume someone has died!

Sounds like Beth Tweddle might have come pretty close in all fairness...
ski holidays
Are they using the same insurance company that provides the BASI indemnity insurance ?
ski holidays
The BBC is reporting that the hospital staff have had Beth on her feet and walking with the assistance of a couple of staff to support her. She must have been only mm away from being quadraplegic. I hope she makes a full recovery.
latest report
I just found out that someone I remotely know (c list celebrity at most) has been offerd £35k to fly out to Innsbruck today to take part in the jump. The £35k is just the starting incentive, I would think the more well known contestants will be on £150k+ still not much if you have a broken back and your future career is finished!
snow conditions
globalbagtag.com wrote:
I just found out that someone I remotely know (c list celebrity at most) has been offerd £35k to fly out to Innsbruck today to take part in the jump. The £35k is just the starting incentive, I would think the more well known contestants will be on £150k+ still not much if you have a broken back and your future career is finished!

While I would agree with that, it hardly means her "future career is finished", given that she was already retired form competitive gymnastics.

In fact I think all of the sports stars who have taken part in this or previous series have been retired before doing so.

And while a broken back is undoubtedly serious and very worrying, it isn't necessarily "life-changing" in the sense of making a big difference to what you can do afterwards. My brother broke his neck 35 years ago, playing rugby in the 6th form at school. He was in a hospital bed in traction for 6 weeks, but made a pretty well full recovery after that. OK, he never went back to rugby, but he did continue to play water polo competitively, and skied for a good many years until he blew his ACL. And my daughter broke her back (lower down) about 12-13 years ago, and has lead a normal life since, including having 3 children, the eldest of whom was born 3 years after her injury.
snow report
Am sure the producers will require him/her to have adequate insurance as needed for any skiing holiday now!

Carte neige anyone?
ski holidays
The producers do provide insurance for the contestants (although maybe not for loss of earnings which apparently hit Marcus Brigstocke quite hard after snapping his cruciate ligaments in 2014.)

I see no-one has mentioned yet that posh boy broke his ankle a few days ago and has also left the show.
ski holidays
Quote:

I just found out that someone I remotely know (c list celebrity at most) has been offerd £35k to fly out to Innsbruck today to take part in the jump

Reports say Joe Swash and Miss GB Zara Holland are in Austria being assessed for the show.
snow report
olderscot wrote:
The producers do provide insurance for the contestants (although maybe not for loss of earnings which apparently hit Marcus Brigstocke quite hard after snapping his cruciate ligaments in 2014.)

I see no-one has mentioned yet that posh boy broke his ankle a few days ago and has also left the show.

Even getting medical cover is better than most X Games athletes seem to get - witness Sarah Burke's sad death from a training accident and she was top of the pile.
snow report
The athletes at that level are often treated as disposable commodities by their sponsors. There is a constant demand to push the envelope, and once they pick up a significant injury they're often dropped once their ability to constantly produce content for web sites and movie sections is interrupted, often leaving them with no income and large medical bills. There was a bit about that in 'Crash Reel'.
snow conditions
olderscot wrote:

One hopes the vet just shot him and put us out of our misery, as this would be commensurate with his social standing.
latest report
Again can only wonder at how well or poorly (negligently) these poor saps are advised.
ski holidays
I guess the producers must be having a real problem* finding replacements. I can't imagine anyone new signing up for the show unless they're desperate.

* Not to say that they aren't having problems just making sure the existing contestants are safely looked after in the first place.
latest report
alex_heney wrote:

While I would agree with that, it hardly means her "future career is finished", given that she was already retired form competitive gymnastics.

In fact I think all of the sports stars who have taken part in this or previous series have been retired before doing so.

And while a broken back is undoubtedly serious and very worrying, it isn't necessarily "life-changing" in the sense of making a big difference to what you can do afterwards. My brother broke his neck 35 years ago, playing rugby in the 6th form at school. He was in a hospital bed in traction for 6 weeks, but made a pretty well full recovery after that. OK, he never went back to rugby, but he did continue to play water polo competitively, and skied for a good many years until he blew his ACL. And my daughter broke her back (lower down) about 12-13 years ago, and has lead a normal life since, including having 3 children, the eldest of whom was born 3 years after her injury.

+1

I have two friends who broke their back kayaking (one later also really screwed up his leg climbing in Scotland when a chunk of rock fell of the mountain and hit the group, but recovered from that too - he's currently kayaking his way around the Himalayas!) who both fully recovered and are back to sending 30 foot + waterfalls without issues, and another friend who broke his back snowboarding (big backcountry kicker gone wrong) who still charges (though doesn't do much park anymore).

I hope she makes as full a recovery!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This program does seem to be an excellent way of damaging celebs.

Maybe we could nominate some of the more annoying celebs to go on the program.

I'd certainly like to see that orange bloke off the antiques program and possibly Michael Portillo if it would stop him ruining all those railway journeys!

Ouch!
ski holidays
Forget celebs, lets send them Jeremy Hunt.
ski holidays
Quote:

Forget celebs, lets send them Jeremy Hunt.

With a whole load of Junior Doctors waiting to "treat" him......
latest report
@clarky999, I have a colleague who fell off a bar stool (he was sober at the time) broke his neck in more or less the same place Beth did. He has a tiny amount of movement in one hand and that is it. Certainly no sending 30 foot + waterfalls for him, well at least without him having any say in the matter.

I broke my back 40 years ago and have limped ever since. Some people are lucky, like me, others are not. There is very little between them.

If Beth doesn't recover her full strength it could still impact her future career. Gymnastics coaches are usually pretty strong and agile.
ski holidays
@johnE, that's horrible.

I don't in any way mean to suggest it's a negligible injury or not very serious (clearly it is serious and must be very scary!), just that a full recovery is - hopefully! - perfectly possible (obviously situation dependent).
snow report
@andyrew, Laughing
snow report
Update for the day.

So Linford Christie has now pulled out with his hamstring injury. I can't help wondering if he's thinking he'd best pull out now while he's still in one piece.

It seems that rather than try and find more new celebrities (I think 'fat chance' is how the probability is described) the producers have decided to bring back the last one eliminated. Presumably on the basis of "they've already signed the contract, which is handy, plus we don't have to pay loads of money to try and sign up somebody new" Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Getting back eliminated or previous contestants makes sense. At least they've had training or previous experience, rather than landing some noob into the firing line who'll pancake day one and be off in the blood wagon.
ski holidays
To be honest I did wonder why they bothered eliminating him on Sunday night giving all the dropouts. They may as well turn it in to a last man standing or points scored competition at this rate or it'll be all over in a week or two at this rate.
snow conditions
Funny as he did look quite relieved to have been knocked out - and now he is back in.
ski holidays
I bet there are loads of snowHeads that would jump at the chance.
snow report
Me, I'd do it. Unfortunately I'm off games at the moment. My doctors note says new titanium plate in my face, new temporary synthetic floor to my eye socket, quite a few fractures to the eye socket/cheek/sinus area and somewhere around 50 stitches holding my face together/on. Surfing eh?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy