Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Ski Improvement Courses

Poster: A snowHead
I will be spending a couple of weeks skiing in Whistler with my brother in Feb/March 2017. We are interested in signing up for a 1 or 2 week ski improvement course and would welcome views on the most appropriate outfit. We are both in our early 40s, reasonably proficient skiers, good levels of fitness and enjoy challenging/pushing ourselves. In terms of lodging, we are reasonably flexible so could either stay in course accommodation or in a condo/hotel. In addition to the Whistler Blackcomb ski school offerings ("The Camp" and "Extremely Canadian Steep Ski Clinics"), both the Alltracks Academy (who do 2 week ski improvement and off piste courses) and Yes Improvement (who do 1 week improvement courses which can be doubled up) seem to offer decent looking courses.

Any suggestions/recommendations gratefully received. (We would obviously prefer to ski with people in a similar age bracket and not be the only "old guys" in a group full of GAP students!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TMN280, Welcome to snowHeads! I did the Dave Murray camp when I last visited whistler and very much enjoyed it. There are several snowheads who've posted views of the various camps on offer so it may be worth using the search functionality to trawl the snowarchives..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TMN280, just back from whistler and would say the max group 4 lessons on blackcomb were a good alternative to the full on camp or all tracks , combine a 3 day ( pay for two) set of these with a two day ext ca 2 day clinic and youll be up to speed , the max 4 are just that but found that by the afternoon a couple usally dropped out so therefore ended up with a more or less private lesson . the level 4-6 groups meet on the mountain which gives you more ski time , the level 6 group i ended up skiing with on my last day was pretty full on stuff . good mix of people during the week , mainly 40 somethings , so should work out well . the extremely canadian course is up another level , but follows a well tested formula , and you will end up challanging your self !!!!! they got me down a couple of lines that i would not of attempted before Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt and Dabber - many thanks for your replies.

Dabber - I love the look of the max 4 lessons. As we're going to be in Whistler during the discounted "Discover Whistler Days" period, and they offer 3 full days for the price of two (which will hopefully be continued next season), the price looks very competitive (CAD$313.50 plus tax per person)! I also like the look of the Extremely Canadian Steep Ski Clinic. Did everyone in your group manage to ski all the terrain or did some succumb to panic attacks and cop out?!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TMN280, in my group, several people opted out of certain sections, and the weather took its toll - by the end of day 3, the snow was falling very heavily so one by one the entire group called it quits untl I was getting one-on-one tuition and guiding and loving every minute of it. I thought I was doing well tll onthe last run down the mountain my instructor called in at the staff-hut then skiied exactly the same stuff as me, but with a pair of slalom skis over his shoulder! Back to earth with a bump for my self-esteem there!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@TMN280, in the extremely canadian clinic we started the day with six people and two instructors ( one very experienced pro and the one ex WC racer turned WFT competitor ) after the mornings skiing working on technique and ability assessment , we were split into two groups , in my group everyone got down everything we attempted with varying degrees of success and style , our coach had a very assured manner and filled you with confindence ,and managed to find alternative ways to access the steeper lines if the regular entrances were too sketchy , the high point for me was skiing the couloir extreme !!! everyone was certianly challenged but got great satifaction from the course .
I did 4 x max 4 clinics starting at level 5 and then moving up to level 6 , and had two days with only two people in the afternoon when the the going got tough , and one afternoon with just me for what was basically a 2.5 hr private ski tour in which the coach found some amazing snow in the trees off the beaten track.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Max 4 are good but also have a look at Yes Improvement. They have all age ranges skiing and use brilliant Instructors.

Difference between the 2 is Max4 you can dip in and out of where as the Yes people are more geared to a specific length of course. Max 4 you could end up with different instructors each day too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do both the Dave & the EC camp - 1 each week. You want a few days off between to ski your own lines. I'd go for them over the gappy type providers for the reasons you identify.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jake43 wrote:
Max 4 you could end up with different instructors each day too.

very true , but not necessarily a bad thing , i had three different instructors over the four days and they all added a different dimension to the basic theme .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I'd go for them over the gappy type providers for the reasons you identify.

On the Yes courses the long & season courses mainly for instructor quals are mostly kids but the Ski improvement short courses are normally older folk. 30-50
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dabber wrote:
Jake43 wrote:
Max 4 you could end up with different instructors each day too.

very true , but not necessarily a bad thing , i had three different instructors over the four days and they all added a different dimension to the basic theme .

True, but they used to do a think called Esprit which I thought was better as you signed up for the length you wanted and got the same person for the week. If you are doing 2 weeks you would get 2 different people anyway and can always move classes if you did not like the instructor or group you were with. Great way for every on on the holiday to ski with same level skiers.
Also worth noting that they are not heavy on the teaching side either.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jake43 wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I'd go for them over the gappy type providers for the reasons you identify.

On the Yes courses the long & season courses mainly for instructor quals are mostly kids but the Ski improvement short courses are normally older folk. 30-50

Yeah I'd still have a preference for the inhouse WB courses because I know they have some of the very top guys and girls in Canada working for them and there is a lot of competition for instructor places on the programmes. Not to say the externals aren't - they probably are obliged to draw from the same talent pool.

& just in case of confusion you should continue to refer to The Camp as The Dave just to stick it to the man and his insidious corporate rebranding

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/dave-murray-ski-camps-drop-iconic-name/Content?oid=2493234
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, Don't disagree at all just pointing out the other alternatives that do a lot of business in the "Ski Improvement" holiday that the original poster was asking about.
The Instructors are all the same pool and L4, you have to be to work on the mountain and will have ski pass pulled if you are not working for the mountain and seen to be teaching. Arn't monopolies wonderful.
Daughter is one of them though not that level yet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks all for your helpful suggestions. Just managed to bag a return flight in Feb/early March 2017 from LGW to Vancouver with Air Transat for £360 all in (including free skis in hold) so I'll have some spare cash to put towards one or two courses! Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TMN280, well done you , you'll have a blast snowHead
snow conditions
I was very impressed with the max4 approx 4 years ago. Brilliant on a powder day as que jumped. Not sure if they still offer a unlimited ticket for season, financially it broke even after 10 days. Just turn up morning or lunch time at a designated spot on whistler or blackcomb mountain and join in, no pre booking. Different instructor every day but very high level of teaching.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy