Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau trip, January 2016

Poster: A snowHead
Quick(ish) report on my trip, with 7 others, to Ellmau last week. All of us were new to the Ski Welt area but have been to other places in Europe and Canada. We went with Crystal and flights and transfers were fine.

We stayed at the Sporthotel in Ellmau which was superb. It is on the edge of Ellmau and it is necessary to get a free bus to and from the main Hartkaiser gondola (about every 15 mins). The bus stop is right opposite the hotel and it is a 5 minute ride - make sure you take the Line A bus back home. Alternatively, it is possible to access the Hartkaiser gondola from the Hotel (via a short walk, a drag, two chairs and a selection of pistes in the Going area) but if you want to get to the main slopes straight away, take the bus! It is also possible to ski back to the Hotel via Going.

For beginners, there are some great, wide and gentle nursery slopes (served by drags and T Bars) at the back of the Hotel and these have no passing traffic. However, these are at only 800m so vulnerable to poor snow. There are some other nursery areas up the mountain but some of the blues would be a bit tricky for progression.

Snow was patchy when we arrived but it snowed consistently all week (with rain one day lower down though), and we had one day of good sunshine. Visibility was not great on the other days which made getting around a completely new area quite tricky. This was not helped by the over-ambitious piste map, which looks like a bowl of red and blue spaghetti, with lots of variations on runs (eg a blue and red variant of many runs each with (a), (b) and (c) sub-variants. This is coupled with the most abysmal piste marking I have ever encountered! A run would suddenly split with no indication of the correct turn, and if there was it might be 100m or more down the run and impossible to see in bad visibility. We got to the top of Hohe Salve which is one of the highest points at 1800m, but it was completely unclear how to get back down without taking a black in next to no visibility. We downloaded in the gondola. We went back another day in better visibility, managed to find a red route down only to find it closed part way down and having to divert. We were looking for one run and found that it was behind some cowsheds with no indication on the piste. Really bad. (Only after returning have I read that someone produced a 3D plastic map of the area a few years ago. Not sure if this is still available but it would have been a Godsend for us!)

The Ski Welt claims to be the largest ski area in Austria but it felt much smaller and less "coherent" than Saalbach Hinterglemm (which anyway might now have the largest area accolade). We felt that the Ski Welt was a collection of mountain tops with a few (shortish) runs down to mid station, with longer runs to the base villages. To go from area to area it was necessary to "leapfrog" over the tops of the peaks with a succession of lifts.

I am conscious that this sounds entirely negative but it is not meant to be. We found the snowmaking to be excellent and the lift system to be good, with mostly big, heated chairs and large gondolas from the base stations (but the lifts are not quite in the same class as Saalbach Hinterglemm). Lift queues were never a problem. Mountain restaurants were good to very good, and excellent value, but again Saalbach Hinterglemm has the edge

However, we did enjoy the skiing and would like to go back. What perhaps tips the balance is the wonderful hotel we stayed in!! We found the Sporthotel to be excellent, with the one exception - that in common with many other Austrian hotels it still allows smoking. The bar was pretty much a no-go area for us and our room stank on arrival. This apart, the room was comfortable and quite spacious with a balcony. We were in a very quiet part of town with no outside noise. This suited us, but it might be too quiet for some. There is a pleasant Apres bar behind the hotel (the Ellmauer Alm) with a selection of cheesy music to dance to. No noise permeated outside and we only found it towards the end of the week.

The food in the hotel was excellent - the best we have ever had on a ski holiday. All you can eat breakfasts with every hot and cold option you could possibly want. Dinners were multiple courses of good quality and sizeable portions. On most nights there were help-yourself buffets (one night pasta, another anti-pasti, another hot and cold meats, another desserts). No afternoon tea though. Water on the table was charged at 1.8 euros a carafe. Wine was expensive - nothing much less than 30 euros a bottle - but a 250ml carafe of house wine was better value at about 5-6 euros.

There is a lovely indoor/outdoor pool and wellness area with a range of saunas, steam rooms and a whirlpool. Relaxation beds are around the pool and in the wellness area. There is a small gym and games room which we didn't use. There is a separate "KaiserSpa" area which was not included in our package but which you can upgrade to for 16 euros a night. We went there once. It had a large Sauna (with a 5.30 infusion), a smaller sauna, steam room, small pool with jets at one end, and very comfortable relaxers around the pool. This was a lovely, quality area, only a year old, but the other "free" wellness area was fine for our needs on the other nights.

(Both the free wellness area and "Kaiserspa" are nude areas which some might find disconcerting. While it is possible to wear towels when using the facilities, no-one did. Cossies are verboten apart from in the "free" swimming pool.) Dressing gowns and flip flop type slippers are provided as well as a couple of towels (not the unlimited towels that we have had in other places).

Hope this is of interest - please PM me if anyone has any questions.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Big Dave. We're off to Soll for the first time next week, so useful advice. I've heard about the terrible piste map and signage, so we've downloaded the Crystal Ski app. Did you try that? We're with a group who've been before, so hopefully they know their way around. Any runs that are a must do?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wotnowalshy wrote:
Thanks Big Dave. We're off to Soll for the first time next week, so useful advice. I've heard about the terrible piste map and signage, so we've downloaded the Crystal Ski app. Did you try that? We're with a group who've been before, so hopefully they know their way around. Any runs that are a must do?

We did use the app. It was pretty good but probably at least a year old (it refers to the funicular at Hartkaiser which this season has been replaced with a gondola). Main problem with it was that it got you to a place but then left it to you to find your way home (exactly the problem we had at the top of Hohe Salve having used the app to get there from Ellmau!!!).

We found the runs to resort level pretty good, including in particular Red 11 in the Westendorf area, and 60/61 down to Scheffau. Piste 80 down to Ellmau was pretty good too. Not that easy for you to get to from Soll, but the runs in Going were lovely and quiet and the restaurant at the top of chair 100 was great. Run 100 (red and blue variants and sub variants) were great: good snow and nice variation in pitches. All that said we never really let ourselves go because of the often poor vis and sometimes choppy pistes. We are not off-piste fans and the snow was a bit thin so not much was going on anyway.

We had a strong recommendation for the Gulasch Souppe at the Stoagrub'nhutte (the Witches Hut - number 20 on the piste map) near the top of chair 24 and at the start of Red 24 - though we didn't get to try it ourselves.

Enjoy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
been to ellmau twice and love it there. agree with it being a bit confusing to get around but once you have worked it out it is a fantastic ski area. visibility would make it awkward though. hopefully you go back and get nice conditions cause it really is a fantastic ski area
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for taking the time to write this. I love a good trip report to read in my tea break.!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the report, having loved Skiwelt before, I must go and try the new improved Saalbach if the lifts and extent are even better.

@wotnowalshy, do a day trip over to Westendorf while you are there. From the top of Gampenkogel the KiWest run is great and back on the Westendorf side there is a good lunch stop (marked No 74) on the map. It is in the trees (turn left at the giant plastic snowman, yes really) so does not get noticed, lovely terrace with deckchairs and views.

111 down the Windau valley and 11 to Brixen are both good long runs worth doing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@wotnowalshy

@Col the Yeti, @Big Dave, Many thanks. I like trying travelling further afield so will definitely try these out.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just come back from a few days in söll and have to say completely agree with big Dave re the skiwelt. Good to a point but could be better... Maps and signs terrible.

Enjoyable few days. Not the easiest or most straightforward to get from village to village. Too many short 400m ish runs and only seemed to be getting about 100m nearer your destination with every lift and run

Would I go back? Certainly

Would I rush back and would it be in my top 5 destinations? Probably not.

I stayed in the hotel Austria and that was OK. Nothing spectacular at all but it was clen and comfortable. The food was v good in fairness and was also v friendly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm taking the misses to Soll next week (30th), I just do hope we get sunny weather and I get over this cold.

We had a disappointing week in Neiderau last year because of the weather and she came down with a bad cold.
+ we found Neiderau very dull, and the skiing bad for timid intermediates.

But hey! Lets go Wild in the Wildkaiser, and get back in the Gemuklishkeit groove of Austrian skiing.

Well done Big Dave on detailed report.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Big Dave, thanks for the report. I'm heading to Ellmau on Thursday for four nights. Have visited previously but it was quite a few years ago. Can I ask where you got your lift passes from? I assume they can be picked up from the Hartkaiser main lift? Do you know whether they can be picked up in resort - i.e near the beginner lifts in the centre? We are staying behind the Hochfilzer and would rather take the drag lift up above resort and traverse across to the Hartkaiser.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Liam,
I bought them in a supermarket (I think, definitely a shop) just down the road from the Hochfilzer the evening we arrived.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@musher, Cheers for that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@musher, Cheers for that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Liam wrote:
@Big Dave, thanks for the report. I'm heading to Ellmau on Thursday for four nights. Have visited previously but it was quite a few years ago. Can I ask where you got your lift passes from? I assume they can be picked up from the Hartkaiser main lift? Do you know whether they can be picked up in resort - i.e near the beginner lifts in the centre? We are staying behind the Hochfilzer and would rather take the drag lift up above resort and traverse across to the Hartkaiser.

Hi Liam. Our TO obtained the passes but I had the impression that there were lots of outlets nearby. The drags should get you to the gondola without using the bus or travelling around Going - but lift 84 - which was key to getting there for us - was closed the day we tried it. Enjoy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great report, thanks. Going myself at the end of Feb. What are the prices like in the resort shops for clothing / equipment compared to the UK?
snow report
mattiwilkin wrote:
Just come back from a few days in söll and have to say completely agree with big Dave re the skiwelt. Good to a point but could be better... Maps and signs terrible.

Enjoyable few days. Not the easiest or most straightforward to get from village to village. Too many short 400m ish runs and only seemed to be getting about 100m nearer your destination with every lift and run

Would I go back? Certainly

Would I rush back and would it be in my top 5 destinations? Probably not.

I stayed in the hotel Austria and that was OK. Nothing spectacular at all but it was clen and comfortable. The food was v good in fairness and was also v friendly.

100% agree with this, enjoyed Soll but was surprised just how short a lot of the runs were. The resort run back in was really nice though down a long and narrow blue reminded me of Narnia for some reason.
ski holidays
We have been to Ellmau (once in March) and Scheffau (once in January) and our conclusion was that we would not go back in January due to the poor visibility. I think most low Austrian resorts have this problem early in the year. But Ellmau with good snow cover was fantastic in March and I would go back again as long as snow conditions were good enough. We organised our own trip, flying to Munich and then the train. Everything worked brilliantly. Stayed in the Altepost which was great.
snow conditions
Surely you can have bad vis anywhere in snowy weather? Luck of the draw. The most persistent bad vis I've encountered was in La Rosiere. Days of it.
snow report
Our bad visibility was not due to snow, but fog!
latest report
Our bad visibility sometimes cleared at the top of the mountain - but you skied down into fog after about 200m
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy