Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skier pushes Snowboarder off a lift!

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.aspentimes.com/news/20219534-113/skier-reportedly-pushes-snowboarder-off-aspen-highlands-chairlift

I mean I know we annoy you lot but this was just a push too far snowHead

From the article:

Quote:
Beckton said he and the skier barely spoke on the way up the mountain, though the man called attention to Beckton’s snowboard when they got on the lift, saying, “Oh, you’re a snowboarder, huh?”

It wasn’t until the top of the lift, at about 9:30 a.m., that the two men began chatting about the 5 to 6 inches of fresh powder on the ground, he said. Beckton said he made a comment about it being easier to get face shots of powder on skis as opposed to a snowboard.

In a Facebook post describing the encounter, Beckton quoted himself as saying, “To get tits-deep pow shots you just need to be on your edges.”

Whatever the comment, Beckton said the skier then turned to him and said, “Are you making fun of me?”

Beckton said he was “taken aback” by the question and wasn’t sure how to interpret it because the man was wearing a helmet and goggles and he couldn’t see his face.

“I thought it was kind of funny,” Beckton said. “I thought he might be joking. I wasn’t trying to offend anyone. I didn’t even think the comment was offensive.”

So, even though he actually hadn’t been making fun of the man, Beckton playfully answered his question and said, “Not really — but maybe.”

“If you think that’s funny,” the skier told him, “do you think this is funny?”

The skier then “grabbed me and pushed and pulled me off the chair,” Beckton said. A third man was riding the same chair, he said, though he didn’t know if the man was a friend of the skier’s or not.

The next thing he knew, Beckton was heading toward the ground in “an out-of-control fall” and somehow landed safely in the cushy powder.

The incident occurred near the lift’s last tower, 50 to 100 feet from the top, he said. He said the lift operator stopped the chair, though it traveled far enough before stopping to allow the skier to get off and disappear.

“I was really shooken up,” he said. “I was like, ‘Was that a joke? Did that really happen?’”

To be fair "tits-deep pow shots" might have made me a bit pushy pushy too
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Congratulations to him...... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How did he push him past the safety bar......ahh yes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Frosty the Snowman, I was thinking that myself until I re-read the Aspen bit!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stevew, and the snowboarder bit - theyre too cool remember (and they swing their sodding board over my skis and scratch them ggrrrrrr
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only resort I got total snowboarder hostility was Vail. It was my second week boarding after 8 weeks skiing FFS, suddenly I'm a pariah.

Do they have open carry rules on ski lifts yet? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Orange200 wrote:

Well they're certainly already tooled up on the Wyoming ski slopes.... rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was in America they don't pull down the safety bar there!!! I questioned why they didn't when I was there last year and was told 'we know not to fall off chairs' which I found unbelievable in such a litigating country.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll cross them off my list then.

Vail - Remember folks - legal cannabis can make you paranoid Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
Orange200 wrote:

Well they're certainly already tooled up on the Wyoming ski slopes.... rolling eyes

Mental!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@speachmaus, Its the same in Canada. Anyone who has been on, or seen a chair lift perform an emergency stop, will always ride a chair with the bar down.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PowderAdict wrote:
@speachmaus, Its the same in Canada. Anyone who has been on, or seen a chair lift perform an emergency stop, will always ride a chair with the bar down.

That's assuming the chair has one fitted! (often not the case in the USA!) Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wow, they don't have safety bars/a culture of using them on US lifts?!! Won't somebody think of the children? Shocked Seriously, my second (7) is a bit scared of chairlifts anyway and this would terrify her!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sparklies, I saw a child fall off a chairlift. It was at the start about 5m from base and he fell about 1.5m on to snow. The child seemed OK. They just stopped the lift sat him back on and started the lift again as if it happened all the time.
One guy was really annoyed when I pulled the bar down without asking permission first. Bonkers!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That is shocking! It would be shocking anywhere, but especially in the US given their culture as you said earlier. It only takes one, bored, wriggly child.. I'm amazed there aren't more incidents.
snow conditions
I gather (albeit from second-hand sources) that snowboarders are still very much frowned upon in certain resorts, especially in some US resorts. Nowadays, snowboarders are no better or worse than skiers IME.
latest report
It's understandable.
latest report
anti-snowboard stuff is so tedious. I mean really aren't we over this by now? I mean I don't snowboard myself but really...

Quote:

It's understandable

That's either a joke. In which case it might have been funny 20 years ago. Yawn
Or it's serious in which case rolling eyes
latest report
dobby wrote:
I gather (albeit from second-hand sources) that snowboarders are still very much frowned upon in certain resorts, especially in some US resorts. Nowadays, snowboarders are no better or worse than skiers IME.

Not really it's the 21st century - many people ski/ride in mixed crews. Only people likely to get their panties in a bunch are Deer Valley denizens and the more reactionary/hardcore Alta nuts. There are of course some reactionary old farts but no more than in the SCGB and are likely to be as prejudiced against wide skis/rocker/skittles outfits/anyone having fun and way more upset about any swearing even if done for comic effect.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, cheers for that. Good to know.
latest report
Admittedly I've not been to North America for a few years snowboarding now, but I'd never once encountered any animosity at any of the places I was at - quite the opposite actually. Why the liftie allowed this cockwomble to just ski off rather than detaining him for piste patrol/police is beyond me - It's assault and could've been much much worse.
ski holidays
So, do safety bars on lifts actually make you any safer...or do they simply encourage you take more risks on the lift?

My first post (and now I'm ducking for cover)
latest report
@morganski, only if your wearing a helmet
snow report
@morganski, nah they're a conspiracy by the safety bar manufacturers to prevent you from feeling the wind in your crotch. Welcome to SH, you'll fit right in.
snow conditions
@morganski, Welcome to snowHeads!
snow conditions
@speachmaus, Laughing Laughing Laughing Toofy Grin
latest report
The first time i saw Drop bars on lifts was the first time i skied in Europe in 2011 , as i brit prior to that i skied Alta every year (amongst the other utah resorts) as for Deer valley its a hatefull place !!

As someone who does not like heights its strange that no bar was never a problem for me .

as for skier/ Boarder wars ........... get down the mountain on whatever you like , but not being around boarders is preferable if there is a choice.

As for throwing someone off a lift ............. i may have helped a chap off accidentally once as i extricated my arm he had just nearly crushed but not on purpose and barely feet out of a lift gate .
snow report
Are there any chairs in America with protective bubbles? Do you show how macho you are by not using the safety bar, or do you half freeze to death?

Not sure if this has been posted before. Perfect alignment in Austria between a stopped chair and a snow gun (but they did have the safety bar down)

http://youtube.com/v/OL7Zb0JRbV0
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sparklies wrote:
Wow, they don't have safety bars/a culture of using them on US lifts?!! Won't somebody think of the children? Shocked Seriously, my second (7) is a bit scared of chairlifts anyway and this would terrify her!

I read somewhere it's so you are to blame if you fall off as opposed to the resort being liable if there's a safety bar. I've never skied across the pond though so I can comment as to how true this is.
snow conditions
Quote:

Are there any chairs in America with protective bubbles? Do you show how macho you are by not using the safety bar, or do you half freeze to death?

Not sure if this has been posted before. Perfect alignment in Austria between a stopped chair and a snow gun (but they did have the safety bar down)

Yes there are Lifts with Bubbles over the chair , and also lifts with heated seats and Bubbles.

Add to that the Valet who gets your ski gear into the day lodge from your SUV and parks it for you , and then returns it to you warmed up when its time to leave whilst packing your gear for you

Canyons and Deer Valley in Utah to name 2

Plus they know how to manage a lift queue
snow report
Tough but fair. Anyone using the expression "pow" deserves to be thrown off the lift.
ski holidays
It annoys me when people pull the safety bar down the second they are on the lift, before you are even settled. And when people lift it very early, especially when there are children on it. When I'm with my son I keep one foot on it until its close and safe. Some chairs also have a huge gap between the chain and bar, and it was an instructor actually that said put your ski pole across his lap.

Do the chairs in the US have no safety bar, or they have them but don't use them, or both?
ski holidays
@dogwatch, fair point Very Happy
ski holidays
[quote="
Do the chairs in the US have no safety bar, or they have them but don't use them, or both?[/quote]

Both , there has even been a mix within the same resort
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:
Tough but fair. Anyone using the expression "pow" deserves to be thrown off the lift.

Poor Batman...
snow report
@Orange200, Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

It annoys me when people pull the safety bar down the second they are on the lift, before you are even settled.

This is one of the reasons I wear a helmet.
snow conditions
Apparently the perp was a well known local rent boy

(insert own punchline)
ski holidays
It seems as though people who have never been to an American ski resort are hearing and believing and then repeating that American ski lifts don't have safety bars / don't use safety bars.

I have only ever ridden 1 lift over there with no safety bar in the past 10 years.

As for having the bar up or down it's up to you. I don't mind riding with it up if everyone else is ok with that but my wife always likes it down, in which case she just says "do you mind if I pull the bar down?" to which she ALWAYS gets the reply, ok sure. No one grumbles, no one has ever said no.

As for falling off a chair, I guess you just need to try and remember the last time you where sitting having a coffee or sitting watching TV and accidentally and fell off your chair. Most people with any kind of muscle control and coordination are able to sit on a chair and not fall off.....baring 20 pints of strong lager. I know chair lifts are moving and I know they often have to stop, but not with the kind of force to throw anyone (who doesn't need a carer) off.

So to anyone thinking they are a bunch of adrenalin fuelled crazy lift riders taking unnecessary risks in America, they are really not. Just ask them to put the bar down.
latest report
Gyro wrote:
It seems as though people who have never been to an American ski resort are hearing and believing and then repeating that American ski lifts don't have safety bars / don't use safety bars.

I have only ever ridden 1 lift over there with no safety bar in the past 10 years.

I too have been to many US ski resorts ( two within the last month), and can assure you that there are many which either don't have safety bars fitted to chairlifts at all e.g at Bridger Bowl ( incidentally a lovely little resort) or where they are fitted as at Steamboat Springs the habit amongst the locals seems to be from what I observed not to use them. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy