Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing skis for protection

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, does anyone pad their ski bags out for transport? I have a slightly padded bag but my friend has worried me as my skis are brand new, and iv seen the throwers at the airport work their destructive magic before. Was thinking of maybe wrapping the bindings, and taping the ski tips together to stop them coming apart? Worth doing, or does anyone have any other ideas? thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a hard plastic sport tube but had a problem last time with the weight (they let me off).

Usually I use a lightweight bag with a bit of padding, tape the skis together with masking tape, wrap a very long scarf around them (its what i had handy), and then wrap my ski trousers and jacket around them, with more masking tape for good measure. Putting the jacket and trousers in is as much to allow me to check in my skis for free (SAS airline). Im a bit worried the edges will damage my clothing, hence the scarf. The brake ends always seem to make a hole in my bag, and I haven't found a solution yet (inspiration just came to me - a squash ball on the end of each one).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@treeslayer, I am not at all convinced that a little bit of rough luggage handling is going to do anything to your skis in bags. Consider what they are designed to do, day in, day out ...

Your bags however....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks i was more worried about the bindings than anything else, but ill tape them together as well
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wrap an old towel around the bindings. Far better than clothing that can easily get damaged.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thats a good idea too, thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use bubble wrap round the bindings and at the ends. Experience suggests this protects the bag from the skis, mostly!

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Themasterpiece,

Try using either the rubber ends for walking poles if you have them to hand if not a short section of hosepipe will do the job. Both you tape to the brake partway up.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've sometimes used cardboard round the bindings and ends of the skis if the skis are new.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use the plastic tube as well, mainly due to having to carry bags !! the box has wheels, lot easier when having to carry wifes skid as well.... I've a double size ski box for wife or ski buddies skis..
had no problems with weight, also put loads of other stuff in there to pack it out.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've never added special protection, just included ski clothes and towels to maximise use of luggage allowance Twisted Evil

I concur about bag damage. Always carry a roll of gaffer tape as well!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pipe insulation works well with cutouts for the bindings. Take the binding brakes off so they don't get caught on each other/things and bend. I have a padded bag and the skis go side by side, poles down the middle and clothes on top.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Always rolled mine up in a huge sheet bubble wrap In an unpadded bag. Never experienced any problems.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chuck em in the bag and bung em in the car. Done.

The bindings do travel in the backpack now though!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On my most recent trip I took the bindings off both mine and my sons skis. I had Quiver Killered mine and my sons were on rails. I used ski straps to hold the skis on top of each other with an old sock at the contact points. The bindings travelled in a bag in another bag.
snow report
lampygirl wrote:
Pipe insulation works well with cutouts for the .

+1
Defo pipe lagging. It splits by running your thumb along it and fits over the edges a treat.
ski holidays
Topic: Packing skis for protection....
I thought you ment like a baseball bat or Colt 45😬
latest report
Bath towel round the bindings (also means I don't have to rely on hotel towels for the spa Very Happy ) and pipe lagging for my poles. Then pack half my ski gear around the rest - other half goes in normal bag, job done
latest report
A friend of mine uses the bottom six inches of two 2L coke bottles to cover the ends of his skis, much to the bemusement of anyone who's ever unpacked them (including @spyderjon)! This is to protect the bag rather than the skis, as it is now gaffer taped at one end after a pre-coke-bottle airport chucker incident. Seems to work.

I'd never really considered this to be something I need to consider... but I have shiny new skis this time so all advice is interesting. Pipe lagging sounds good.
snow report
I wrap my skis in an old foam camping mattress, with some bubble wrap round the ends, inside a slightly padded bag. It's probably not necessary but makes me feel better.
ski holidays
QK the bindings so skis packed tight on top of each other, less prone to cutting stuff with edges, bindings in boots. Easier to pack, Hundred thousand miles plus, no problems.
Have used rigid sports tube which are sort of OK but are a pain to pack out with clothing, sacks etc favourite is still a dakine snowboard coffin which has solid plastic at wheely end, everything goes in this bag and as long as skis are strapped down no cuts in gear.
Tie the breaks in ski mode if you can't get to quiver killers and pack firm.
snow conditions
Hmm, just looking at some of the ideas above. Should I be tying the brakes in ski mode before packing my skis? At the moment I just leave them as they are, but I guess they might be vulnerable. If I tie them, that would mean the springs on the breaks would be under strain all the time.
snow conditions
Is all of this protection really necessary if you only have skis in your bag? I don't use any protection and my skis and bindings have always come out intact at the other end of a flight... so far. Am I due a nasty surprise any day now?
ski holidays
Zero_G wrote:
Is all of this protection really necessary if you only have skis in your bag? I don't use any protection and my skis and bindings have always come out intact at the other end of a flight... so far. Am I due a nasty surprise any day now?

Do you tie your brakes into ski mode, or do they stay sticking out? So far I've done the latter and not had any issue.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
lampygirl wrote:
Pipe insulation works well with cutouts for the .

+1
Defo pipe lagging. It splits by running your thumb along it and fits over the edges a treat.

I use pipe lagging to protect the bag and everything else in it, not the skis.
snow report
I don't do anything to the skis, bindings, nor brakes. I basically put the skis into the bag with bases facing each other and the poles next to the skis. The bag has straps on the outside to cinch everything together, which minimises movement.
snow report
. . .bubble wrap round the bindings / ski poles and slim cardboard box sections protect to tip and tails . . all lobbed in a semi padded S&R padded soft bag with as much cr*p as I can find to pad out. . .

Been looking at hardcases recently and have come across this which would work with a lightweight soft bag if cost/weight was an issue . . .just as much protection as a sportube for a single pair of skis in all probability . .

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/743146/products/ski_shield_2_extendable_ski_shipping_box.aspx
ski holidays
I remove the bindings off my ski's and chuck them in with the luggage.

But I always triple check that I remember to pack the screws and screwdriver
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks all, skis arrived safely, on the subject of putting things in the ski bag like coats, has anyone been pulled up by the airline for this? only im sure i flew once and it said you were only allowed skis in a ski bag else you might be stopped?!
ski holidays
I've heard the rumour about airlines wanting skis only in a ski bag, but how would they know? The bag is screened by airport security & not the airline, all they do is weigh it.
I've never had any problems putting other gear in there, including 2 sets in a single bag.
latest report
Never had a problem putting trousers and jacket in ski bag. I mostly fly with Scandinavia (Star Alliance with Lufthansa etc) and they allow "ski equipment" ie skis and a boot back as a checked bag. Doesn't say can't pad out with clothing. Last time the guy said my ski bag was a bit heavy, but it was a sport-tube with my and my sons skis in it. Said skis should usually be 12kg, which I presume accounts for a boot bag of 10kg ish (probably could argue you should get full weight allowance if you only had a ski bag). It was fine anyway.

I would think you are very unlikely to be questioned unless it weights much or is bursting to the brim and clearly there is other stuff in there.
ski holidays
I use a piece of foam kip mat. Use tie straps to wrap this round, then roll clothing around it for really good protection. This always brings my ski bag up to 12 - 15kg and never had a problem at airports.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy