Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

knee safe bindings.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This holiday is my first with my knee safe bindings. On the whole I got on with then fine and even managed to test the lateral heal release after doing something silly (isn't it always!).

The only issue I have is I find it very hard to push down and get them on. Does anybody else use these? Do you get the same issue. Is it something I can loose somehow or is there an issue with mine? They were fitted and set by Jon when I did my ski service tuition with him.

Thanks all.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Kneebindings run a reasonable amount of forward pressure (not as high as some of the Marker bindings but higher than average) which is required to achieve their precise release values in all four directions (as opposed to the usual three).

When combined with a short boot & a fairly strong brake spring this can make them a bit trickier to click in to (like the Marker Jester/Griffon/Duke/Baron family). A clean boot is required & the trick when stepping in is to have the binding positioned slightly in front of your standing foot so that the pressure is applied downwards & slightly forwards to depress the brake easier - as opposed having the binding level or slightly behind your standing foot when the pressure is applied straight down/rearward which won't collapse the brake.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@spyderjon, thanks for that. Will try it on the next outing. The issue really comes to fore when trying to get them on while on a steep slope. Thankfully a kind lady on the slope came to my aid.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, For steep slopes, a nice little trick an ex- snowHead taught me is to cross your downhill leg in front of your uphill (standing) leg and pop it into the ski first.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ ^ ^ Diverskify taught me that trick, not that that's how I would describe it, but rather I would say place both skis uphill of your feet and then cross your downhill foot over your uphill foot and step into the nearest ski first. At which point the free ski and foot will be uphill. Happy

The other trick he taught me, to release the brake more easily, was to step into the binding as though you were about to lift the tip of the ski at the same time. I think that's to get the forward pressure which @spyderjon, describes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
... place both skis uphill of your feet and then cross your downhill foot over your uphill foot and step into the nearest ski first.
This. Amazes me how many skiers, including experienced skiers, struggle to put on their skis on a steep slope if they have has a fall and both skis have released. Key thing is to ensure that the boot goes in to the binding at the correct angle, and if you stand between your skis (or worse still, above your skis) the boot going in to the downhill ski will not be correctly aligned with the binding.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
^ ^ ^ Diverskify taught me that trick, not that that's how I would describe it, but rather I would say place both skis uphill of your feet and then cross your downhill foot over your uphill foot and step into the nearest ski first. At which point the free ski and foot will be uphill. Happy.

It's also how I would describe this method, which I was taught by a ski instructor soon after I started skiing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rob@rar, never had an issue with normal bindings in the past... The knee safe ones l find i need to almost jump up and down to get on (clearly need a better technique!) one thing on the fat impossible on a steep slope.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ, very interesting to hear your experience with the knee bindings. With the frequency of acl injuries amongst even the most expert skiers it would be good to see more developments in this area.

rob@rar wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
... place both skis uphill of your feet and then cross your downhill foot over your uphill foot and step into the nearest ski first.
This. Amazes me how many skiers, including experienced skiers, struggle to put on their skis on a steep slope if they have has a fall and both skis have released.

Hmm, wonder if you've just uncovered the reason some use off-the-chart DIN settings, can't get their skis back on if they do come off in a fall Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@balernoStu, agreed. I ruptured mine skiing originally in 2004. Unfortunately I then managed to take out half the reconstruction a few years ago. Anything I can do to preserve what's left is well worth it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The problem I have in getting back in invariably is finding a place that is solid enough. I seem to pop mostly in off piste powder. Getting the skis flat and level is never an issue but every time I try to get a foot in the other one sinks about the metre down into the snow and I end up with my knee parallel with my chin. Try getting accurate downward pressure from that angle!

+1 for the off the scale din settings
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy