Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it really worth taking skis?

Poster: A snowHead
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
toro wrote:
Anyone flu with easyjet recently?
I have ski bag booked 20kg only one set skiis allowed .
Anybody try to put two sets of skiis in it and got away and not been overcharged by check in staff at the airport?

Never caught the flu with easyJet but I flew with them to Geneva in December. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

easyJet don't have a "1 pair of skis in a bag" rule. In fact, they don't care what is in the bag so long as it isn't overweight. If you have 2 bags booked with them - ski bag and ordinary - you can have 32kg in one bag and 8 kg in the other. The only rule is no one bag is more than 32kg and the total must not exceed 40kg.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pandora205 wrote:
I have a lovely pair of Head skis to which I am very attached (!) but unfortunately I'm flying from Gatwick with BA who now charge skis as luggage, i.e. £40 each way. I'm really wondering whether it is worth the hassle of taking them, other than the value of being able to pack lots of kit around them as my case will be full of ski boots and helmet. What are others doing these days?

Eh? They didn't charge us at new year - or did you book a hand baggage only fare, and then have to buy baggage?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As Dirty Gibson explained very well, the cost difference is negligible. I ski twice every year and have a great pair of skis that absolutely suit me and because of that I am very attached to my skis. Being confident and happy with what is under your foot is priceless, this is why I believe taking your own skis is the way to go and I would do it if it cost more money that hiring.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thought I'd come back and feedback about my experience with BA at Gatwick. I made enquiries the night before travel to see how much to upgrade to business class (Club Europe), which was an additional £99. As it was going to cost £40 each way for skis I thought this was a good deal, and was about to book when I discovered this was just for one way. At this point I said it was too expensive and tried to haggle (to no avail), though I was told to try again at check-in in the morning as this can be reduced on the day.

That is was I did - but still £99. In the end, I decided I'd treat myself and go for it as I could chill out in the executive lounge and generally have a nice flight. It was a bit of a luxury.

As it happens I didn't have this issue on the way home as I sustained an injury (ACL tear) and was provided with three seats in Economy courtesy of my insurers (though I still had to pay the £40 for my skis).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Harry Flashman wrote:
pandora205 wrote:
I have a lovely pair of Head skis to which I am very attached (!) but unfortunately I'm flying from Gatwick with BA who now charge skis as luggage, i.e. £40 each way. I'm really wondering whether it is worth the hassle of taking them, other than the value of being able to pack lots of kit around them as my case will be full of ski boots and helmet. What are others doing these days?

Eh? They didn't charge us at new year - or did you book a hand baggage only fare, and then have to buy baggage?

No I wasn't on hand baggage only. I just didn't have a huge ski bag into which everything could be crammed, so the skis counted as extra baggage.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pandora205, you shouldn't have had to pay for skis on the way back if you had business class put as you get the baggage allowance both ways. If you did not use your original ticket for your return as the insurers bought new tickets then you should be able to claim the additional baggage cost
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gaza wrote:
toro wrote:
Anybody try to put two sets of skiis in it and got away and not been overcharged by check in staff at the airport?

Never caught the flu with easyJet but I flew with them to Geneva in December. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

easyJet don't have a "1 pair of skis in a bag" rule. In fact, they don't care what is in the bag so long as it isn't overweight. If you have 2 bags booked with them - ski bag and ordinary - you can have 32kg in one bag and 8 kg in the other. The only rule is no one bag is more than 32kg and the total must not exceed 40kg.

Hi, im out with easyjet next week. Have only booked Ski bag not additional hold luggage. Will I get away with all my clothes in ski bag with boots and rucksack hand luggage as long as I can meet the 20kg weight limit on ski bag ? - Anyone else do it this way ? The website says "skis and/or boots" which implies you can ram both in the bag. If not will I get away with sticking boots in my rucksack.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another benefit of renting is you can often store them in the shop over night rather than lugging them back and forth to the hill. Lugging them through an airport with small children isn't fun either. And fitting them in the car...
Also, you can swap rental skis depending on conditions Smile
I started renting about 5 years ago. Boots too... I've never been 100% satisfied with my current pair and live in hope of finding boot nirvana from the rental shop, then buying them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Flandiddly, Yes, have done that several times. Snowboard, boots, clothes etc. Keep it under 20kg and you are good to go. Enjoy your trip.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Flandiddly wrote:
Gaza wrote:
toro wrote:

Hi, im out with easyjet next week. Have only booked Ski bag not additional hold luggage. Will I get away with all my clothes in ski bag with boots and rucksack hand luggage as long as I can meet the 20kg weight limit on ski bag ? - Anyone else do it this way ? The website says "skis and/or boots" which implies you can ram both in the bag. If not will I get away with sticking boots in my rucksack.

It actually implies you can take a boot and ski/board bag or so the check in desk told me returning from Barcelona with both and no normal luggage.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
super news, thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was given K2 Secret Luv 2011 and Nordica Double Six 2011 twins in the hire shop in Lavigno in Januray so they don't upgrade very often. Some of the carvers given out were upto date but it was a gamble what you got, and even tho I'm a decent skier, trying to convince them that I didnt want carvers was difficult.
I'm taking mine next time and am trying to work out how to avoid the extra carriage charges although even if I pay the extra it's worth it to aviod the lost ski time, faff and lottery of hiring. I can't remember a time when there wasn't carriage charges.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SillySkier, Fly BA, or Swiss.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Canuck wrote:
Boots too... I've never been 100% satisfied with my current pair and live in hope of finding boot nirvana from the rental shop, then buying them.

The only way to find "boot nirvana" is to work with a professional boot fitter - not in the rental shop! At the very least you need a custom footbed and new liners moulded to your own foot. But I wouldn't trust the average boot fitter in EB or S&R to get a good fit either, so it's an all or nothing thing really.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@pandora205, you shouldn't have had to pay for skis on the way back if you had business class put as you get the baggage allowance both ways. If you did not use your original ticket for your return as the insurers bought new tickets then you should be able to claim the additional baggage cost

I had an economy ticket and just upgraded on the trip out at the airport, so no I hadn't prepaid for extra baggage/skis.
ski holidays
I bought skis last year, and they are lovely skis but I really wish I hadn't.

Why?
1. Costs: flight carraige x2, + a service (of we're going to compare like v like), then depreciate your skis over say 10 holidays means hiring is actually a tad cheaper

2. Faf factor: lugging skis across Europe thru airports. In &out of cars,trains, buses etc is a complete pain in the back bottom.

3. Hiring: You'll get the latest skis (granted using premium level) each year freshly serviced at the start of your trip.

4. You can swap hire skis for others for different conditions. Or to do different things e.g. touring, skinning,etc, etc

5. There's something very nice about handing skis back at the end of a holiday

6. No storing in your house (say u ski 3 weeks a year. That's 49weeks looking at the fuppin things taking up space &gathering dust!!!

In summary, unless you have a place in the mountains hire them. Very Happy
latest report
I think it depends on what kit you have and how often you go.

I've two pairs (three if you count a pair of powder planks I don't want) and my own tuning gear.

As an example; over the last couple of years I've used them in snowdomes, had a couple of trips to Scotland and flown with them to the Alps maybe six times. I can get both pairs in a ski bag and come in under the airline weight limits.

I haven't rented for some time, but those in my groups that do usually seem to end up with kit that's just okay; unless your in somewhere like Verbier or Chamonix.

After blowing a shed load on a ski trip, an extra £50 to get two pairs of skis there seems reasonable.
snow report
Why buy?

1. You can have the exact ski you want, set up exactly as you want it.

2. Avoid first morning/previous evening faf in hire shop. More time skiing or even drinking!

3. Faf factor? Getting the correct luggage avoids ski carriage charges and minimises airport, railway station, coach faf.

4. Ski three weeks a year? You have something nice to look at and remind you of holiday fun remaining 49 weeks.

5. Fly Swiss, Lufthansa, BA etc or go on the train. No ski carriage charges.

Very Happy
snow conditions
Klm and air France let you take ski bag instead of suitcase same as ba.
I just came back from trip where my friend hired and we spend an hour on sat aft in ski hire shop just to get pair of boots. Never again shes bought all her own gear now. Such a waste of time and energy. Get decent ski bag and fill it with clothes etc. No more hassle than a suitcase. No brainer for me I'm afraid.
latest report
Okay.
Anyone want to buy a pair of Armada Jj Akas, with Look bindings, new last year, used 8 days. I even have a lovely peak performance, leather, wheely bag to cart them around in, in great style.

I'll be in Chamonix from March 5th and I'm open to offers Smile))
snow report
@horgand, there is a seperate topic for selling stuff. You'll probably have more luck selling them on there.
snow conditions
Ive always rented and recently took the plunge.

The way I see it is the based on the following;

You get used to skiing on your own skis. No more of that adapting during the first few hours of the holiday.

You feel you need to use them more at the fridges etc. More practice equals better skier.

Yes the carriage is expensive but when you get there think of the time saved in monetary value or enjoyment because you haven't had to go to the hire shop.

You can also ski on departure day.

It's also dependable equipment. Twice I've had a binding go on me whilst I've been skiing. Equals a long walk down the mountain. I'm a confidence skiier so knowing my equipment is going to work and work well is a major thing for me.
snow conditions
@LOTA, When was the last time you flew with Lufthansa or BA? Both currently charging enthusiastically for ski carriage. Only Swiss left now.
latest report
@Dr John, Last week with BA, doc! Skis went inside big bag with all my other gear. No ski carriage/overweight/oversize charges. Going with Swiss next month!
snow report
@Dr John, Lufthansa is free if you take classic fare (ie Not light as that is hand luggage only) and call to tell them you are taking skis and there is no extra charge. BA allow you to take large ski/board bag which I fill with all ski clothes, boots, helmet etc instead of a suitcase (no need to tell them in advance) plus generous hand luggage plus laptop/small rucksack but again don't book the hand luggage only fare. KLM/Aur France do the same.
snow conditions
@LOTA, as a non-ski owner (who is quite tempted) I've wondered which airlines allow what. From what I can tell if you fly EasyJet then a ski bag can't be taken as your hold luggage, so costs extra. If you can take a ski bag as the standard 23kg limit, plus hand luggage, then I reckon that would cover what I need for a week of skiing without paying extra.

On that basis what airlines (and TOs) allow you to do that?

Edit: Was typing post when @speachmaus repied...so question is mostly answered, although I'm interested to know if any TOs let you do it.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 22-02-16 12:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@LOTA, good on you for squeezing everything into 1 bag, but they still charge for separate ski carriage. Swiss the only airline that I know of not charging for separate skis.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SnoodyMcFlude, exactly!!! BA, KLM and Air France do this. Lufthansa and Swiss are free ski carriage if you take classic fare (not light which is hand luggage only) and call once booked to add skis to booking.
latest report
@Dr John, Fair enough - and one of the reasons I opt for Swiss when I can!

@SnoodyMcFlude, Certainly British Airways, others I don't know about as I generally use them or Swiss.
snow report
http://www.lufthansa.com/uk/en/Ski-baggage-on-Lufthansa-flights
snow conditions
@LOTA, indeed. Also LHR departure as I'm NW London. Getting to/from the airport is a cost consideration at least on a par with ski carriage charges for me. Cost/hassle getting to LGW easily eclipses ski carriage costs.
snow conditions
clarky999 did a great list of which airlines will carry what:

http://www.luex.com/magazine/2015/10/15/the-ultimate-list-of-airline-ski-and-snowboard-baggage-fees/
ski holidays
Wear your ski jkt and trousers, boots and helmet on the plane !! Double ski bag for skis and a pair of jeans, walking boots couple of t shirts and a jumper. Really light and easy to carry ...
Maybe a new thread needed but Im always amazed at what people take on a ski trip where no one cares about your dress sense ... and leave their ski equipment at home Very Happy
latest report
@SnoodyMcFlude, I very much doubt it. They try to get money from you whenever possible. However I went with crystal/thomsons couple of weeks ago and it only cost £40 for ski carriage and with a bit of creative packing I got 2 sets skis and some clothes into a single ski bag ( they charge more for double bag) and one suitcase each plans 5kg hand luggage was included
snow conditions
limegreen1 wrote:
Wear your ski jkt and trousers, boots and helmet on the plane !! Double ski bag for skis and a pair of jeans, walking boots couple of t shirts and a jumper. Really light and easy to carry ...
Maybe a new thread needed but Im always amazed at what people take on a ski trip where no one cares about your dress sense ... and leave their ski equipment at home Very Happy

Yup, if you consider yourself no one that is.

Personally I like to get into a nice fresh t shirt, shirt, trousers and jumper after skiing all day. I don't dress for appearances really, I just like it myself and I'd say most people are the same. It's a holiday not a grunge fest feat of endurance and lack of comfort after all!?! Hey!? wink
snow conditions
horgand wrote:
limegreen1 wrote:

Yup, if you consider yourself no one that is.

Personally I like to get into a nice fresh t shirt, shirt, trousers and jumper after skiing all day. I don't dress for appearances really, I just like it myself and I'd say most people are the same. It's a holiday not a grunge fest feat of endurance and lack of comfort after all!?! Hey!? wink

Completely agree. Do you really want to look an utter tw@t on the plane and a tramp the rest of the time? The Brits may take the attitude that 'nobody cares what you wear on a skiing holiday' and seen elsewhere on here "I'm paying for it, so I'll wear whatever I like", but most of the locals (our hosts) do care and do bother to dress in a half-civilised manner. French and Italians generally dress up far more and far better than we do at home. Of course, if you are going to America ...........
snow report
Going for a week I can take one, sometimes 2 pairs of skis, boots, helmet and ski gear and toiletries in a double roller ski bag and 4 pair jeans and various tops, cardis etc in hand luggage no problem. Anyone who needs more than this is taking too much stuff. I'd rather carry my own skis than 8 different outfits to wear at night.
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu. Depends on the holiday doesn't it? If I'm staying in self catering what's wrong with a couple of pairs of jeans and several t-shirts/shirts? I don't wear any of that stuff during the day (because I'm skiing) and pretty much only go out to nip to the Spar or something (so will be wearing a ski jacket anyway). As long as I've got clean clothes for the journey home then I don't see why it matters what I wear sat in an apartment watching TV or reading a book.
latest report
@SnoodyMcFlude,
Quote:

@foxtrotzulu. Depends on the holiday doesn't it? If I'm staying in self catering what's wrong with a couple of pairs of jeans and several t-shirts/shirts? I don't wear any of that stuff during the day (because I'm skiing) and pretty much only go out to nip to the Spar or something (so will be wearing a ski jacket anyway). As long as I've got clean clothes for the journey home then I don't see why it matters what I wear sat in an apartment watching TV or reading a book.
Fair point. My experience of self-catering also includes going out to bars and restaurants a fair amount too as for us the holiday is about much more than just the skiing alone. If, as you say, you are in the appartment pretty much all the time then that's fair enough.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy