Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it really worth taking skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In response to thee original thread. For me now - absolutely. I have put knee safe bindings in an attempt to preserve what is left of my knee, and having my own I know and tuning and waxing regularly I know the state of my skis.

If you are only looking at the costs then no.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NickyJ wrote:

Don't agree with that. That's where it becomes quite dependant upon when and how and how often you are going.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Fair point. My experience of self-catering also includes going out to bars and restaurants a fair amount too as for us the holiday is about much more than just the skiing alone. If, as you say, you are in the appartment pretty much all the time then that's fair enough.

Even then, do you really need more than one pair of non-skiing trousers, 3 t-shirts and one or two shirts? I mean I only really wear my non-skiing gear between say 6 and 11-12. I'm largely sedentary (stroll to the bar/restaurant is the limit). I'm not going to get a pair of jeans sweaty/stinky/dirty doing that for a week. Before we bought our place I'd spent 20 years pruning my luggage on ski trips, simply removing pieces of unworn clothing from the "packing list". I have never wished I took more clothes with me.

The secret to avoid ski carriage costs is to take one double ski bag and one large holdall between 2 people. That gets within your luggage allowance on practically all scheduled flights. And I'm including shovel, probes and all that stuff as well as piste gear.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Legend. wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Don't agree with that. That's where it becomes quite dependant upon when and h how often you are going.

Ah yes can see that....I was trying to get across that what makes it worth for us wasn't a financial aspect.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@limegreen1, you need to take a long hard look at yourself. And don't sit anywhere near me on the plane.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
limegreen1 wrote:
Wear your ski jkt and trousers, boots and helmet on the plane !! Double ski bag for skis and a pair of jeans, walking boots couple of t shirts and a jumper. Really light and easy to carry ...

Maybe wearing ski-pants, boots and helmet on the plane are taking it a bit far. Very Happy

But seriously, I frequently notice people on planes/airports who are obviously going skiing wearing a thick, winter non-ski coat. Presumably their ski-jacket is in their bag? Is it really necessary to take a seperate coat for apres-ski?

Either that or they've all got 80's turquoise one-piece suits for the slopes! Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

do you really need more than one pair of non-skiing trousers, 3 t-shirts and one or two shirts?

I wouldn't think so, personally, but if some people insist on taking masses of stuff on holiday they have to expect to pay masses of money. Seems fair to me! I often spend some time standing round at Geneva, waiting to meet people and am constantly astonished at the quantity of stuff some people are lugging around.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, +1, I'ts just daft the amount non skiing clothing that people haul around. I suspect that some of it will not even be worn in resort. I prefer to travel light and can manage to smell not too bad, without having to wear 10 layers on the plane.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SlipnSlide wrote:
limegreen1 wrote:
Wear your ski jkt and trousers, boots and helmet on the plane !! Double ski bag for skis and a pair of jeans, walking boots couple of t shirts and a jumper. Really light and easy to carry ...

Maybe wearing ski-pants, boots and helmet on the plane are taking it a bit far. Very Happy

But seriously, I frequently notice people on planes/airports who are obviously going skiing wearing a thick, winter non-ski coat. Presumably their ski-jacket is in their bag? Is it really necessary to take a seperate coat for apres-ski?

Yes, in my view. I ski hard, in all sorts of conditions, when I get out each evening I want to go out in a nice clean jacket, not a smelly ski jacket, rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Yes, in my view. I ski hard, in all sorts of conditions, when I get out each evening I want to go out in a nice clean jacket, not a smelly ski jacket,

You ski so hard you sweat all the way through to your jacket. Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well yes, and then there's the small matter of snow, rain, dirt, etc, etc And that the thing needs a few hours 'airing' after skiing. But look each to their own, I suppose.

Just kindly stay away from me, ye unwashed, damp, dirty smelly Brits!! Toofy Grin Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy