Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at Half Term - Is it that bad?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having managed to ski out of peak periods (late Jan or early Feb) for the last 9 years I've yet to experience just how crowded resorts can be during school holidays.

Due to work constraints I am now planning on a trip to Serre Chevalier on the 20th February. I understand that this coincides with French half-term, therefore should I expect long lift queues and crowded pistes, or is this not always the reality? If so would it be better to head over the border into an Italian resort that week, as I can cancel the accommodation right up until departure?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@debtors#2, yes much better to go to Italy - try to get as far away from France as you can.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@debtors#2, In my experience from quite a few years ago when the lift system was not as good as it is now Serre Che got pretty crowded but the very worst weeks were when the Marseilles holidays were on which is the two weeks before so it might not be quite as bad that week, though Paris and Lyon are still on holiday.
Someone else may give you more up to date advice but if the snow conditions are good in Italy I might be inclined to head there. If they are not good I would stick with Serre Che which is a great place to ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends which areas of France are on hols and where you go. We were in Valmeinier a couple of years ago, UK half term and an area of France. Barely queued for anything all week. No idea about Serre Che.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@debtors#2, it can be bad.

Even if you don't have to wait in a lift line, the pistes themselves are crowded, with too many reckless skiers.

I skied Megeve when it was UK half term and Paris half term. Never again. It just wasn't that fun.

Going to Austria would have solved that. The French pretty much won't ski if it involves anything German.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely possible to find some uncrowded French resorts. Skied Les Contamines last Feb half term, and apart from queues in morning for the Cable Car to get up the mountain, once up there the pistes were generally uncrowded (sometimes empty) and lift queues were almost non existent. Can't comment on Serre Chevalier though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes. Nuff said.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not British half term that week and not the local one either. You'll be fine. There's so much hysteria on here about school holidays.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nem wrote:
It's not British half term that week and not the local one either. You'll be fine. There's so much hysteria on here about school holidays.

+1

I know we are in a very quiet area but there are enough posts on here from people without a vested interest having skied in mega-resorts saying it was nowhere near as bad as the hype they'd read on here. In the Northern French Alps, I suspect UK half term + Paris = not great, but what you'd expect from half term… the other weeks will be fine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nem wrote:

I just like to avoid all the 5 year olds flying past me as i snail my way down the mountain Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy