Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Skiing - How bad?

Poster: A snowHead
For the last 20 years I’ve had the luxury of avoiding skiing during school holidays. Now for the first time (2017) I’ll be taking my son with me for his first trip.

He’ll be 6 next year so I’ve decided that Esprit probably suits my needs best, as long as I don’t get too stung for a single supplement. Easter 2017 is somewhat late next year, so I’d naturally head for altitude.

Looking at the Esprit website, it looks like Les Arcs 2000, Belle Plange, Tignes\Val d’ are the viable options in France and Obergurgl in Austria.

So just how nuts is it during the Easter weeks?

Cheers

Rich

PS - I've read all the threads about taking my son out of school, but my wife is a teacher and I've lost that argument countless times

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-01-16 21:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easter is one of the best times to go skiing in the Alps.

Good weather and good snow. Crowds are fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess it depends where you go but in terms of French skiing Easter is low season, accommodation prices are cheap. Conditions vary a good deal with south facing slopes suffering in sun, even at highish altitudes. But thawing first after an overnight freeze. A resort with slopes offering a mix of aspects is good. For a late Easter you need skiing at high altitude too, if possible.

So if you drive and rent accommodation locally Easter can be a cheap holiday, and not too busy.

If you go with British tour operators though then yes, it'll be expensive and resorts with lots of Brits are likely to be busier. Nothing like as bad as new year or half term though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obergurgl is pretty quiet at Easter, no problem at all.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I typically do DIY, but given that this will be his first trip, I think Esprit ticks all the boxes and should increase the chances of him loving it and also me getting a semi-decent holiday too. I’ll be leaving my wife and younger daughter at home, so with the overall approach to childcare from esprit it should make life a little easier on me too. Between AM lessons and the supervised lunch, this probably gives me the most time to ski and then spend the afternoons with him either playing in the snow or taking him skiing myself.

I've never skied in Austria, so Obergurgul is tempting but I'm more familliar with the French Alps.

Rich
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@RichClark, we have done Esprit during Easter school holidays to St Anton and Belle Plagne (and Les Deux Alpes with Mark Warner) and the resorts haven't been too busy at all, one the contrary very quiet and getting the feeling the resorts are getting ready to switch over to mountain biking
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting! Don't want to hijack the thread, but I've just realised that the times I have free later on this season also happen to be Easter. Was half thinking about just putting up with one or two queues and then disappearing off piste / ski touring type thing but now I'm tempted into sticking with the normal resorts and normal skiing.

Haven't done an Easter for years - last one was at Zell am Zee, so not much snow left and the queues for the glacier skiing at kaprun were a bit daft. That was about 2002 or 2003 though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In our area (Bucks) the schools are breaking up on March 31st, which is only one week later than this year and two weeks before the actual Easter weekend. Do you know when your son will be breaking up? Not that it should make a massive difference. We've been out to Paradiski around the 9th/10th April when it was very warm and indeed this Christmas just gone with a lack of snow and warm temps, and they always do a great job of maintaining the links to and from the Vanoise Express and the upper slopes. So there is always an adequate supply of skiing to be had. And if you are more fortunate with the snow and temps it can be great with the extra daylight.

In short it isn't nuts and I am sure you will have a great time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, My area (Brighton and Hove) don't break up until 7th April, so I guess based on a Sunday transfer, we'd depart on the 9th.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting! Don't want to hijack the thread, but I've just realised that the times I have free later on this season also happen to be Easter. Was half thinking about just putting up with one or two queues and then disappearing off piste / ski touring type thing but now I'm tempted into sticking with the normal resorts and normal skiing.

Haven't done an Easter for years - last one was at Zell am Zee, so not much snow left and the queues for the glacier skiing at kaprun were a bit daft. That was about 2002 or 2003 though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have done Easter almost every year for the last 20 years and it has generally been very good. This year with the Easter holidays being ealy - Good Friday is March 25th and I will head out on the 24th to Les Arcs for 10 days.

@RichClark, I have been skiing in Arc 2000 the last weekend in April and done May day in Tignes in good conditions.

Be careful the sun is fierce. Take at least factor 50 sun block
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@RichClark,

Easter skiing is fab - we stayed at Chalet Charline (Esprit) in Tignes in April 2014. 6 bluebird days and ended the week with a fierce blizzard on our last day. We had our Easter Sunday lunch in Les Brevieres, sat outside and didn't have to book. As others have said there is nothing more enjoyable than skiing in warm sunshine under blue skies (if that's the weather you'll get). Your 6 year old will also appreciate it more and thank you for it.

Personally I would go for one of their chalets in Tignes (the Charline is a good choice) - plenty of North facing slopes and high altitude skiing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easter is generally excellent. We've done DIY and TO trips (shopping about) and costs are relatively low. Lots of areas offer free kids lift passes when an adults has been bought.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Esprit don't seem to do cheap compared to DIY, but it does look like good value and worth every penny to hopefully give my son the best possible experience (within reason)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 18-01-16 21:57; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Easter is fantastic - we always do a DIY trip to Val Thorens and have always done it at a great price, no queues and you'll probably come back with a tan!!.
latest report
I've been to VT on three successive Easters, and then about 12 years later went again for the EoSB which was some time after Easter - always plenty of snow to ski and board on, some lovely sunny days and occasional blizzards. Love it, even if the resort does lack charm.
ski holidays
@tomj, VT has often been an end of season trip for me. I'm less concerned about the snow and piste conditions at that time of year and more about how rammed it would be due to school holidays.

By the sounds of it, I have little to worry about.
snow conditions
One of the best times to ski.
Skiing is perhaps more a spring sport than a winter one. The runs are far more reliable at Easter than new year and much less likely to have lift closures.
Still lots of runs yet to open in the alps but by Easter most high ones should be open although the lower ones will becoming slushy and then icy.
After Easter is perhaps best of all. Long days, no crowds, cheaper, no access problems, warm and sunny and as good a chance of new snow as any other time. Can get a bit hot however and you will need to like spring snow and soft bumps. The off piste is also likely to be skiable.
Remind me again why early winter is so popular
Puzzled snowHead
snow conditions
Been to Les Arcs at Easter most years for last 12 years. It's great time to ski
snow report
Peter S wrote:
One of the best times to ski.
Skiing is perhaps more a spring sport than a winter one. The runs are far more reliable at Easter than new year and much less likely to have lift closures.
Still lots of runs yet to open in the alps but by Easter most high ones should be open although the lower ones will becoming slushy and then icy.
After Easter is perhaps best of all. Long days, no crowds, cheaper, no access problems, warm and sunny and as good a chance of new snow as any other time. Can get a bit hot however and you will need to like spring snow and soft bumps. The off piste is also likely to be skiable.
Remind me again why early winter is so popular
Puzzled snowHead

I think you may be overplaying it a little Very Happy Embarassed snowHead
snow report
We've skied at Easter the last couple of years due to school commitments and on the whole it was good. (Alp d'huez and Les Deux Alpes)

Pros
Cheaper and less busy than half term and Xmas.
Weather generally good - more chance of sun and blue skies
Longer hours of daylight
Conditions can still be very good - particularly at high altitude and between 10am - 1pm.
Children (and many adults) will generally be happier with warm sunshine and slightly slushy snow rather than perfect powder and bitter cold!
Esprit are a great choice if going with children.

Cons
Can be icy in morning and slushy in afternoon.
Lower runs often closed, so generally can't ski back to door.
Walking to and from accomodation carrying skis and wearing ski gear can be uncomfortably hot!
(I'd recommend taking a thin waterproof jacket in addition to your normal ski jacket for days when its really warm.)
latest report
Best time of the year to ski. Just go for somewhere with lots of north facing slopes. South facing become slush very early.
Easter is very early this year too so should be good conditions.
Take lots of sunscreen a clean undergarments. They will be very hot and sweaty by the end of the day
latest report
@RichClark, Great choice of time of year and Esprit.
Ideal for kids that age- he'll have a blast.

Not too cold etc, less busy, less expensive.

We always try and go at Easter (as well as Feb).

All those places will be good. Obergurgul very good value. Esprit places there are very large Chalets rather than Chalet Hotels (or they were when we went).
ski holidays
RichClark wrote:
@Layne, My area (Brighton and Hove) don't break up until 7th April, so I guess based on a Sunday transfer, we'd depart on the 9th.

They break up AFTER Easter?

BTW did anyone see the news about a possible Anglican agreement about fixing Easter in mid-April? So much for good snow then Sad
snow report
@Orange200,
Quote:

BTW did anyone see the news about a possible Anglican agreement about fixing Easter in mid-April? So much for good snow then

I wonder what proportion of committed practicing Anglicans ski or board? Those who do will hopefully lobby for a mid March fixed Easter...just after mainland Europe winter holiday break season has ended! Moving Easter around the phases of the moon has always seemed strange to me.
snow conditions
Went to La Plagne last Easter and Avoriaz the year before. Both were great ski trips and nowhere near as busy as the Feb half term week.
snow report
@Orange200, I'm discussing Easter 2017...
snow conditions
Embarassed you actually had me checking my own hols for this year, as I'd already booked everything for March... Don't panic Mr Mainwaring, don't panic...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My wife is also a teacher but thankfully has no issue with me taking my son out of school so long as it is the week before half-term or Easter. Very Happy Very Happy

I took my son away for the first time when he was 6.

Going with Esprit, IMHO, is the right thing to do. I’ve done it twice now and having other kids of a similar age to my son around makes the whole thing much less stressful for me and far more enjoyable for him.

I’ve posted a couple of Trip Reports for our “boys holiday” that you may find useful.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2497771

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2684545

To avoid being stung for the single supplement your options will be limited to a few hotels/chalets:-

Quote:

ITALY
•Gressoney – Chalet Hotel Valverde : Room 115

FRANCE
•Alpe d’Huez – Chalet Hotel Mariandre : Room 2
•Méribel – Chalet Hotel Alba : Room 7
•La Rosière – Chalets Arnica, Begonia, Camelia : Room 3
•Val d’Isère – Chalet Hotel Ducs de Savoie : Rooms 105, 205
ski holidays
Thanks @Gaza, for the info on single single supplements and I'll certainly look your trip reports. Out of interest, does anyone know what the typical single supp is with Esprit if I opt for another resort.
snow report
@RichClark, last year when we were in Belle Plagne the base price was £959. The under occupancy supplement was £319. When I looked at it again for this season it seemed to be much higher. The Esprit website is very opaque so the only way to find out is to call them. Even then I find that you often get a different answer depending on who you speak to.
snow conditions
@Gaza, Great info and great trip reviews! You've cemented my view that Esprit is the way to go. I'll look at some TripAdvisor reviews for the other locations, but you've made a compelling case for Ducs, especially given the ~£300 single sup. My only reservation is the 15 min hike in boots, that’s seems a bit excessive for me, let alone my son.
latest report
a shout out for family friendly skiing in La Tania, as another option. Took my kids there for many a year and handy gondola to get them higher up the mountain for a play in the snow if none low down (which never happened even skiing in April!)

http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/
ski holidays
15 minute hike in ski boots? Ouch. If doing that with a small child I'd carry boots and walk in walking boots which could be transferred into a back pack. but surely shone mishtake?
snow report
Quote:

I wonder what proportion of committed practicing Anglicans ski or board? Those who do will hopefully lobby for a mid March fixed Easter...just after mainland Europe winter holiday break season has ended! Moving Easter around the phases of the moon has always seemed strange to me.

I thought the discussion was between the Orthodox, Catholic and Anglian churches, partly to have them celebrating on the same Sunday. As to moving Easter around with the phases of the moon - well it is religion we are talking about and religion is strange.

Like@Orange200, I hadn't realised that the OP was talking about an event over a year away. I am only just getting around to planning this Easter's trip having been granted the rest of Easter week off work yesterday. Sorry for any confusion.
snow report
@pam w, perhaps it wasn't 15 mins but having just looked at Google Maps it shows it as being a 600m walk taking 7 mins. Add kids in ski boots to the mix and it would be 10+ mins. I was a little surprised by this on the first day. The kids seemed to walk quite happily and the Esprit staff kept they singing. They did the same walk on the way back. There was a minibus that took the younger ones and all the skis. I did the walk on the first couple of days but then discovered the bus stop almost outside the hotel door so used that to get to and from the slopes.
snow report
@RichClark, if you've got a rucksack that you can strap your and your kids skis to that makes it easier to do any walking around, keeps hands free to hold him, your and his poles etc etc.
snow conditions
@kitenski, That takes me back to when my son was young. Trecking up the hill in Val Thorens exhausted son on my shoulders (still with skis on) my skis in one hand poles in the other.
latest report
another alternative is Mountain Sun in Tignes not child centred- but very child friendly and lots of kids at holiday times and a hot tub and great staff and a great dog.
ski holidays
@RichClark, I was emailed yesterday by Esprit offering a cheap deal in Easter holidays for 1 adult 1 child. I know you are looking at next season but if you were considering taking a chance and booking a late deal (you can see what they are staring to offer for this season)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy