Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal offer - Austrian New Year

Poster: A snowHead
Right - Crystal are offering £400 per couple off the brochure price to any Austrian resort over the New Year when you book online before 15 May. As the New Year falls on Saturday this year that means going out on Thursday 30 December and returning the following Sat - 9 days! Yippee!!

However, I've only been to Austria in March. Is going to Austria that early in the season too much of a risk, bearing in mind the low altitude of many resorts? It seems like those resorts which may be more snow-sure are the more expensive ones, which cancels out the savings.

We are looking at the moment at Saalbach. Any views on this or other resorts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cathy, I've just had a look on the Crystal website & can't find that offer anywhere! I could only find a deal for St Anton - £300 off per couple over New Year. Cheapest trip to Saalbach was just over £900 per person. How did you find it??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Ski Bunny, the £400 bit comes cos you get an additional £50 discount each for booking online. The offer was sent through the post.

I didn't have next year's Crystal brochure (altho have now ordered - I find their website really tiresome to look up prices!). I was having a rough guess at possible prices by looking at Inghams prices for the 9 days Laughing . If £900 is the cheapest for Saalbach, that's too much for us even with the discount.... Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We've been to Westendorf (an semi-detached branch of Ski Welt) in the first week of January for a few years and the snow availability is a bit hair raising. We've always been exceedingly lucking in that we've arrived on the Saturday after New Year to a brown, or mainly brown resort, only for it to snow on the first night and make everything right. Ski Welt covers resorts like Soll and Ellmau, Westendorf is marginally better for snow than the rest of Ski Welt.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I saw that offer too and you get £150 off per person plus £50 each for booking on-line. Most places will be expensive at that time of year and Saalbach tends to be a bit pricy anyway but the hotels are excellent and well worth it.

Cathy, I went to Saalbach last month and had a brilliant time. The skiing is excellent, enough for an extended break and the Hotel Bauer is probably the best place I've stayed in Europe. This season, the rep said that they were skiing the majority of the area by Christmas but bear in mind that this year was an excellent season - the best for 15 years apparently. On the other hand, you have the Kaprun glacier 15 mins away so it may be worth leaving the lift pass until nearer the time depending on the conditions. We are going to Mayhofen in February which has the Hintertux glacier on the area lift pass as well as 6 other ski areas so this is also worth considering.

I am considering the offer too and the Gastein area looks good. Unfortunately, if I book I will have to pay for this holiday in November and my Feb holiday in December which may be a bit much at that time of year. I still have a few weeks to convince my husband though!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Thomson offer the same deal (same Group/parent). I've found Thomson much cheaper than Crystal and Mayrhofen seems good value for good quality hotels.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thomson and Crystal are all part of TUI, so Lunn Poly always upsell those two. As a rule Thomsons seems to come in a bit cheaper if youre booking far enough in advance, but the Crystal brochure for W04/05 seems to have loads more in it than the Thomsons one.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cathy coins,

Was in Saalbach Hinterglemm last Dec/Jan. Snow was best around the area when I did Zell am See, Kaprun and went as far as Bad Gastein.

Saalbach-Hinterglemm valley is narrow and may be less affected by the wind and hence the temperature variation. I was surprised to find it consistently colder by a significant margin than Zell am See which is only 13 miles away.

However the report for Austria this season is exceptionally good and the snow does change from year to year.

We stayed at Zell am See becuase the Glacier at Kaprun, which is 3.5 miles from Zell am See but on the opposite side of Saalbach, is our insurance when no snow were to be found elsewhere. Thus you can always go to Kaprun should the weather become unkind to us this Christmas.

Saalbach-Hiterglemm valley is very long and one can ski on one side to the end and return on the opposite side. The total distance is about 30km. You can gauge yourself by targetting lunch at mid point and return on the same side if you are not sure. There is no walking involved and the circuit is mainly blue and red. Saalbach is known to be a good cruising resort.

There is a long black slope at valley end located at Hinterglemm. Haven't done it myself yet but by going from Saalbach in anticlockwise direction you can avoid it (i.e. it is only black in your path if you go clockwise direction with the valley).

Leogang is a modest resort in its own right forming an extension arm to Saalbach. It leads you to a separate valley system.

For night life I haven't seen a resort with more activities than Saalbach yet, especially at Hinterglemm end. We tried to see if the same was happening at SKi Welt (Soll, Westendorf, Ellamu, etc...). No comparison. Being oddies we donot seek out night life ourselves but Saalbach-Hinterglemm evening is definitely suitable for those with energy.

The 30km circuit has been my wife's favourite piece and the skiing was the most enjoyable among the 16 resorts we did in the trip (we count 3 for Saalbach and went through every one of the 8 to 9 resorts in Ski Welt including the unlinked Westendorf).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 20-04-04 12:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been to Kitzbuhel for the last 2 christmasses and had decent snow, albeit at the last minute. For an 800m resort it's obviously risky, but Austria is so nice at that time of year we chance it. Already booked for this xmas!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish,

I went up Kitzbuhel while I was in Ski Welt. The place was alright for skiing but there were far too many people there. The town had seriously bad traffic jam in the every morning and evening. Ski Welt is much more relax because it is bigger and can be accessed by 6 to 7 linked resorts in 3 out of the 4 directions.

Was glad to get out Kitzbuhel but would imagine a decent night life there though. The ski map states that Kitzbuhel is scheduled to link up with its neighbouring resorts at the opposite side of Kirhberg. The area seems to be very popular and always packed with people.

Austria being more inland than others seems to be able to keep the snow better even though its altitude isn't always attractive.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Folks, I've been offered 9 days in 3* BB in Mayrhofen for £489 via Igluski.com. Plus, it's always worth dropping them a line because they'll always try & better a previous offer. I've been searching for the last week or so & I keep going back so can't fault them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm - it's tricky isn't it?? But then I reckon going for 9 days you've got a good chance of the weather changing (hopefully for the better!). Looking at the historical snow report on SCGB is a bit hair-raising!) I do like skiing in Austria - & I reckon the nightlife over New Year would be a laugh! (Tho' I can't party and expect to ski the next day any more.....). Oh well, got a few more weeks to mull it over snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eeyore, sounds good, except if we don't go half-board we always spend a fortune on eating out! Went to Mayrhofen a couple of years ago & enjoyed it there but don't really want to go back - would like to try somewhere new.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy Coins, Have you looked at the Thomson website? It gave New Year prices for Saalbach from £813. Unfortunately I couldn't find out any more cos it told me my session had timed out??!!
First Choice are showing no availability in Saalbach that week.
Try Airtours - they have Hotel Austria in Saalbach for just short of £600 per person half board. Not sure it's 9 nights though.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Ski Bunny, I too haven't had much luck with Crystal or Thomson websites - they just seem to load soooooo slowly....
snow report
Cathy, Igluski had half board offers too & not just Mayrhofen & considerably cheaper that 800 smackeroos. Seriously (& I promise I'm not on commision for them) have a nosey..
snow report
I promise Eeyore, I will have a look snowHead . Have also had lots of advice on SCGB (yes, call me old-fashioned) website, thanks Ian & Jonpim - & any others whose pseudonym I don't know. Have gone from Saalbach (too risky) to St Anton (too scary for me) to Obergurgl (bit limiting although more snow-sure). Am now thinking Bad Gastein/Bad Hofgastein. Can't really see any drawbacks here except the resorts in the valley are a bit spread out - see what resort I come up with tomorrow Very Happy
snow conditions
Cathy, I spoke with a travel agent that had just returned from Badhofgastein and she said it was far better than she had expected being a relatively unknown resort to Brits. I've looked into it as I'm keen to go and the skiing is extensive and some of the areas are linked otherwise a bus serves all resorts from BHG and BG. However, the altitude is similar to Saalbach so there is a risk regarding snow cover, although I think the highest point is a few hundred metres more in BG. I wouldn't rule out Saalbach as you have the glacier at Kaprun 15 mins drive away and the larger town of Zell am Zee with more activities. Compared to the other resorts I've skiied in Austria, Saalbach had the best snow cover.
snow conditions
My observation of the snow condition at last year Christmas

Saalbach Hinterglemm (100%), Kaprun (100%), Zell am See (95%), Bad Gastein (80%).

Bad Gastein has part of the system closed due to lack of snow.

I was able to ski the Saalbach valley in a complete loop and all runs were complete down to the bottom. Not the case with Zell am See (earlier days) or Bad Gastein.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy