Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black Crows Camox. Which size?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I’m looking to buy my first set of skis. I’ve narrowed it down to Black Crows Camox.

I’m 6ft and around 70kg. Next trip will be my 6th ski trip.

I would class my self as a quickly improving intermediate.
Can ski all pisted runs well and at good pace. Had great fun off piste in tinges recently. Although my carving needs improvement.

The Camox comes in two sizes 174cm & 180cm.

Ski pal says I should go for 174cm but I’m not sure if they will be too small? I’ve looked at guides online but there are lots of conflicting answers.

Over to you knowledgeable folk
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well you are 182.8 cm tall so for an all mountain ski generally the 180cm (or longer) would seem to be ideal. However, you are still fairly inexperienced and may not have all the techniques down for controlling the ski. A lot also depends on your style of skiing, if you ski fast and like big arcing turns then a longer ski is more stable, but if you like bumps, tight forest skiing and quick nimble turns then a shorter ski will make things easier for you.

Have you been skiing on a pure piste ski up until now? I had a pair of 98mm all mountain skis as my only pair for 6 years, but it wasn't until I got onto slalom and GS skis that I really developed an ok skill set.

The Camox has tip and tail rocker so on the piste it will ski like a shorter ski. You are fairly light so will not need as much float as a heavier person so a 97mm waist ski should also work fine in powder. In this case the longer length version would be better, if you are skiing heavy and variable crud then the shorter ski would be more nimble.

If I were you I would get the 180's and also take plenty of lessons to hone your technique.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the detailed reply.

Yes I’ve only used piste skis. Generally rent Advanced/5* I struggled a little off piste in fresh powder last week which is why I’m looking at an all mountain ski. Took my first tumble in the last two trips. This will be my first ski purchase.

I prefer shorter turns and bumps but I’m keen to improve my long turns on piste.
My favourite skiing is bombing along doing jumps on long blues and difficult moguls on red/blacks.

I have one trip away with my girlfriend and couples and then another with lads. I have had two three hour lessons on the more relaxed ski holiday. With the guys we are pretty much flat out the whole trip!

As I’m improving well each holiday would it not make sense to get the longer ski which will be more suitable a few trips down the line.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm 176 and ski the 180
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Makes much more sense to go 180. You seem keen to improve and the shorter ski would probably end up holding you back. I'm 176 cm also and my mid fat skis are 179cm, for proper powder I go longer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Im 5 10 and have the 181 (2019). Works perfect for me, got on immediately with them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy