Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st family downhill ski holiday recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Check school hols in other countries as well as UK and you may be able to miss the busy times in resorts which are not full of Brits. e.g. Westendorf is full of Dutch, miss their holidays and it can be pretty quiet.

Austria might be worth a look for mid/late march. You won't find deep (or any!) powder but they are excellent at keeping runs in good condition, in the last week of opening they start to allow the pistes to melt off but before that you should have plenty to ski and skiing in warm sun is better for kids than freezing their "knees" off in a January Blizzard. You can also often get cheaper lift passes late season. The accommodation is mainly in villages which are normally more pleasant than purpose built resorts and food/ drink are generally cheaper than France. At Easter go for somewhere near the gondola if you can, you will probably download at the end of the day anyway as the lower runs are cut up and soft, so "ski-in" is not that important, it is more important not to have a long walk/bus to the lifts, that said your cheapest options will be on a ski bus not slopeside. Self catering is not as common as in France but going through the local tourist board websites there are packages including ski passes. Most apartments are in farmhouses etc, just 3 or 4 apartments so the big TOs are not interested.

Personal recommend is Pension Christoph in Westendorf. Very family friendly and run by a lovely Brit couple. http://www.pensionchristoph.at/english/home.html Clive will also do airport transfers from Innsbruck or Munich and will advise on busy/ quiet weeks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HelenHelen wrote:
How long do i need to allow for passports to come through after posting applications for me & kids?

Not sure about new applications but I did my renewal last December and got it back within a week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SnoodyMcFlude, think you are right. Renewals are quite quick. New applications especially for adults take longer - don't they have an interview process?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another recommendation for Ski Esprit, been 3 times with young kids to Courchevel, La Plagne and Gressoney. All were in January, excellent value and great fun.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HelenHelen, for a cheap holiday checkout rocketski.com, we booked a very, very cheap last minute deal with them last March!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Helen,

Another +1 for Esprit. It is the childcare that makes it. Whether leaving kids in Nursery, taking nippers to the ski school or providing supervised lunch and evening meals they really look after the kids. Makes your few hours on the slopes a lot more relaxing when you have peace of mind.

Another TO that has good offers during terms at present is Ski Famille.

Of course you need to add on childcare, lessons, ski hire passes etc. to all of the deals and standard prices.

As a ball park figure for you we paid this for a family of 4 with everything included on final bill-

Last year skiing at New Year about £5500
This year skiing at Easter about £4000 (because our local authority is different to most of UK saving us a few £)

If you can go during term time and grab an offer you are probably looking at around £1500 in extras (lift pass, ski hire, lessons, child care, kids supervision at lunch including taking to and from lessons etc.). This will depend on age of kids and their requirements.

I know people will have paid less going self catered, using different companies, getting deals, having own equipment etc. We use Esprit because we trust them to keep our kids safe and happy.

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CAPTA1N P wrote:
@holidayloverxx, really. I'm definitely not the only one that thinks that, I've seen others mention it on this forum/different threads and spoken to other more experienced skiers and instructors that say the same thing. A friend of mine went there 30 years ago for his first time, didn't ski again until last year. I'm yet to meet someone that started there as a beginner and enjoyed it.

I'm sorry, I should have put 'in my and a few others experience'. Thinking about it the conversation has actually gone down the road of the more beginners that go to Tignes, the less likelihood they'll ski again, keeps the slopes empty. We do laugh about it now

On a personal note, yes I feel I was conned as a beginner going there. I even go out of my way to tell beginners to avoid the place and I haven't booked with Crystal since.

As for the instructor, he had no comprehension of coaching techniques, systems or anything(I have coached another sport). The whole group were p***ed off with him and with the rest of the opinions about the ESF on here, I would question his credentials, quite simply a terrible teacher. A guide at best.

I'm sorry if you don't agree, but this was my experience as a beginner.

My brother started in Tignes from a complete beginer 3 seasons ago - here is the proof-
http://youtube.com/v/ywwdMCnEExY (the guy in red jacket, first ever time on skis). My own first experience in Apls were also in Tignes, 9 years ago ...

My wife on the other hand does not ski once she tried it with an AT instuctor in Ischgl - never since I convinced her to start again ....

Tignes is a wonderfull place, with lots to offer.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mooney058, i think it depends on the confidence of the person learning, the progressor runs in Tignes and Val are not the easiest to move to, so you already have to have some level of confidence, desire or abandon to progress there. Some people need very easy slow progression and some other halves just aren't interested and so any blockers are enhanced. Think it's about the person coupled with the resort rather than 'just' the person...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Helen,
I know you have already had lots of feedback and suggestions but I just wanted to add that it can be done for your budget – as I have done it before, including spending money. However, more typically for a family of four I spend between £2500 - £3000 and that all four of us having lessons. So you can do it cheaply if needed, just depends on you priorities.

As long as it is clean, warm, and ski to door that’s all I ask. I think ski to door is vitally important with kids as this is the bit they will hate walking anywhere in their gear, and you and your husband will end up carrying skis.

I find packages cheaper mainly because I book early and get free child places. I always price DIY but usually find it’s the transfers that make it less cost efficient. I have to admit that this is because we don’t want to car hire as we don’t know about driving in snowy mountains putting on snow chains etc. let alone it being on the wrong right hand side of the road.

I would recommend self catering as you can put the kids to bed and sit and enjoy a bottle of wine, in the living area. If you go somewhere cheap to eat out (Italy/Andorra) that saves the need for cooking and washing up. Sometimes our kids don’t like being ‘dragged out’ to eat so we just get pizzas delivered.

In Andorra kids lift passes are free to age 11 so you can get equipment hire, lessons and lift pass for £135 per child. The adult equivalent is £275. Therefore that brings all the ‘extras’ to only £820 leaving you £1,180 for package (or flights, accommodation, transfers) which can be done outside of the peak weeks.

You can get some last minute bargains, especially for self catering accommodation. However you do have to be prepared to accept what is available.
The website will say if it is ski to door and what the transfer times are.

I typically book with Crystal, Inghams, Neilson which are the cheap end of the market. I’m sure the other recommendations provide a better quality of service but these operators do what I need them to. I don’t use childcare; I drop the kids off for their lessons and collect them after the 3 hours. We then have lunch as a family and ski together in the afternoon. Therefore I don’t need to worry who is looking after them.

Each to their own but this works for us, and like I say I typically spend £2500 -£3000 but have been away for less than £2000.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Levi215 wrote:
@mooney058, i think it depends on the confidence of the person learning, the progressor runs in Tignes and Val are not the easiest to move to, so you already have to have some level of confidence, desire or abandon to progress there. Some people need very easy slow progression and some other halves just aren't interested and so any blockers are enhanced. Think it's about the person coupled with the resort rather than 'just' the person...

there are plenty to choose from and some are really easy/boring
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@HelenHelen, re insurance. I've been very satisified with my Liverpool Victoria family annual travel policy (incl winter sports). Good cover, reasonable cost and a sound rating for the company from insurance regulator. When it came to the crunch (literally) and my son broke his wrist, they were very straightforward to deal with and settled the claim promptly. Moreover, no increase in premium this year, despite claiming last year.
However, it depends on your specific needs and frequency of trips as to whether an annual policy makes sense for you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A work colleague went to Bansco last year & highly recommends it. In Feb term time it would cost us half board 2,002 all in with Crystal. It's 300m from a gondola lift with free shuttle bus, free indoor pool, sauna, steam room. massage extra. My colleague is a medical nurse who had a health problem & found the Dr service to be good. Any thoughts? Has anyone else been? I'm thinking the ski-ing might be a bit unchallenging, but then i am old & decrepit now so that might suit haha.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@HelenHelen, check WHEN your colleague went. We were in Bansko for Feb half term this year. It was exceedingly busy. The queues for getting up the gondola on the morning I would not have believed.

Yes it was cheap but we wont be going there next year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124502&highlight=
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@HelenHelen, hi! You mentioned Finland but you could consider, say, Åre in Sweden if you fly to Trondheim or Östersund, or Trysil in Norway and fly to Oslo. Or other resorts if you dont mind a long drive from Stockholm or Oslo. Scandinavia is VERY family friendly, and despite preconceptions is very reasonable value (except for alcohol). It would seem to tick your boxes, except for catered chalet as accommodation is general self catering. For Sweden avoid half term weeks 8, 9, 10 and Easter 2017 is week 15. All would probably be ok apart from week 9 which is Stockholm half term. DIY is very easy. Check out skistar.com website.
snow report
@HelenHelen,

It depends on your priorities but I have quite strong views on beginner ski trips.

Lessons for your husband and the children
1. For children or middle-aged people who have not skied before I would recommend some lessons. For young adults I'd say it's perhaps useful but not necessary.

Catered chalet or half board hotel with facilities (pool etc.)
2. Skiing is initially tiring therefore this is the one time I would advocate to keep clear of self-catering unless you have particular food requirements in the family.

Bulgaria, Romania, Andorra, Pyrenees, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, some French, Austrian, and Italian resorts.
3. If you are going to eat or drink lots at lunchtime or in the evening then definitely pick a cheap resort.

Tignes, Alpe d'Huez, Montecampione etc.
4. Choose a resort that either has free beginner lifts (they would need to be close to the accommodation), a cheaper beginner lift pass, or is very small and cheap anyway.

Fly to Salzburg, Verona, Innsbruck, Turin, etc.
5. Choose somewhere with a short transfer by flying to an airport close to ski resorts.

Lech, Mayrhofen, Gargellen etc.
6. Good if the beginner slopes do not get skied by other people or are out of the way from the main ski area.

Pre-Christmas, January, March, and maybe Easter
7. Choose a quieter time of year so that the lessons have less people and the lifts and slopes are quieter.

When you have a few possibilities also check for beginner specific features e.g. beginner/child friendly chair lifts, English speaking instructors, small lesson sizes (<= 6 preferable), kids park/fun slopes.

Another consideration would be to find some package deals perhaps direct from a ski region tourist office which could include lift pass, ski/boot hire, lessons etc. either free or reduced in price. Examples: there is a resort near Innsbruck that offers free ski pass and lessons to beginners during certain weeks; there are many resorts in Italy that include free ski passes early and late in the season; a small resort like Montecampione can offer all inclusive packages. There are many such offers, let me know if you'd like specific suggestions.

You can find some great deals and also keep your costs very low by making sensible decisions. Unfortunately most first time skiers end up making bad decisions by paying too high prices for inappropriate ski resorts.

A budget of £2000 between the four of you is easily large enough to include good accommodation, flights, transfers, all food and drinks, lift pass, ski/boot hire, and lessons in most weeks of the season. You don't need to go to Val d'Isere, Lech, Zermatt, or the host of other large/expensive ski resorts.
snow conditions
An example of a deal for a small Austrian ski area:

http://www.schwannerwirt.at/en/winter/free-ski-lessons-for-children/

Spend some time investigating online based on your criteria and you should come up with many similar options.
snow conditions
http://www.silberregion-karwendel.com/en/natur/skifahren/gratis-skikurs

Related but offer not linked to hotel so could choose cheaper accommodation nearby.
snow report
I am in a similar position, I skied twice 15 years ago in France and Andorra. My three children have learnt to ski this year at a dry slope and we went to Glenshee for 4 days in Feb half term and had a great time looking to go abroad next year.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 30-03-16 16:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Gillap, as you have started your own thread it might cause less confusion to stick to that one.
snow report
Millom wrote:
@HelenHelen,

It depends on your priorities but I have quite strong views on beginner ski trips.
You, strong views? There's a surprise rolling eyes
Quote:

Lessons for your husband and the children
1. For children or middle-aged people who have not skied before I would recommend some lessons. For young adults I'd say it's perhaps useful but not necessary.
Yes, as they're 'young adults', skiing out of control, hanging on for dear life can't hurt them or anyone else and as they are all such cool 'young adults', they wont need any help understanding how to behave safely and respectfully on piste or recognising the significant life threatening dangers off piste. I guess that's why we never hear of 'young adults' having accidents, hurting or killing themselves or others while being stupidly irresponsible or simply getting out of their depth. Actually, thinking about it, 'young adults' must be the demographic least likely to behave like utter dickwads on the piste or off it. I expect this is because, as 'young adults' they had unrivalled access to a 'young adult' mate who had been skiing before and said it was like easy and just gave them like a few pointers then like took them up to the top of like a really hard black run on their first day and like let them like get on with it (Lulz). Clearly this is the coolest way (for a young adult) to learn skiing properly.
Good advice there! rolling eyes
snow report
Check out Bulgaria and look for an all inclusive beginners learn to ski package with lessons, skis boots sticks and lift pass.

Should be possible to stay in budget and have 3* 1/2 board.
ski holidays
Hi all, I am new in the forum. I am going to Val d'Isere this season and I have been recomandated to take ski lessons with this guys www.valdisereskiinstructors.com does anyone have been skiing with theme?Thanks.
snow report
@Bander
Are you looking to join a Class, or having Private Lessons?
snow report
I want private lessons, I am not fun of group class as I think they are good to have some fun but not if you really want to improve your tecnique.
snow conditions
Can I suggest that names of Instructors that people have first hand experience of, is of more value than specific Ski Schools.

The ones that I can personally recommend are:

Simon Mc Combe (Mountain Masters)
Dave Cowell (Mountain Masters)
Aaron Cassells (Progression Ski)
Ken Smith (Progression Ski)
Woody - Neil Woodward (Progression Ski)

Steve Angus (TDC) is highly recommended by Snowheads

Snow Fun is much cheaper and is worth a call to see if they have any BASI guys on the books.

I can't comment on your suggestion.
snow conditions
Thank you very much Old Fartbag!!!I will keep your suggestion in consideration.
I will let you know my experience after my holidays
latest report
By the way, www.valdisereskiinstructors.com are just 2 guys so I guess they have suggested me theme as a person rather than ski school.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bander wrote:
Thank you very much Old Fartbag!!!I will keep your suggestion in consideration.
I will let you know my experience after my holidays

I would also suggest you book in advance to make sure of success.

Have a great time.
snow conditions
Thanks a lot for your help!!
ski holidays
A good venue for a first family hoilday with beginner kids is santa caterina, compact and easy to get around, our kids loved it, hotel san mateo was a lovely little gem.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy