Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Fitter recommendation Glasgow or evening near Andover.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

Anyone recommend an expert boot-fitter near Glasgow. Got my previous pair from Rivington Alpine on a trip down south but new Job means I will need to visit one local-ish.

My new company is in Andover. Is there anyone near there that you can recommend that may be open the odd evening in first week of Jan.

Old boots are slightly packed out Dalbello Krypton Cross set at 100 but they are perhaps a wee bit soft for me now. http://www.backcountry.com/dalbello-sports-krypton-cross-ski-boot-mens

They also have a custom footbed.

I have a drop ankle on RHS and had the pivot point modded on the Dalbello's by Graham at Rivington.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 30-12-15 22:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the greater scheme of things, Solutions for Feet should be your first port of call and not that far away from Andover.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobW wrote:
In the greater scheme of things, Solutions for Feet should be your first port of call and not that far away from Andover.

There are lots of other good boot fitters. Bicester isn't really a good drive to do I an evening, even if it were open. I'm fairly sure there's been recommendations of good fitters around Glasgow before. It's best to choose somewhere you can get back to easily if you need any adjustments. (And, o get to Bicester from Andover you'd drive almost past the door of at least one other excellent boot fitter.)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is Stirling too far ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Andover - the arse end of nowhere, I guess Bicester is your best bet, for civilisation if nothing else!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've heard Shona (Anderson?) at Nevisport is well regarded for bootfitting in Glasgow. Slightly further afield there's Alain Baxter in Stirling, as I'm sure rjs is alluding to, and my current boots were well very fitted by Ian in Blues Edinburgh. Or indeed the trip to Bicester.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs wrote:
Is Stirling too far ?

No I'm willing to drive for 90 mins. Alain in Stirling would be fine. Would you recommend him as a fitter?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alpine Mcanix is South Bristol way so not a million miles away, though he might be in the alps currently
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
balernoStu wrote:
I've heard Shona (Anderson?) at Nevisport is well regarded for bootfitting in Glasgow. Slightly further afield there's Alain Baxter in Stirling, as I'm sure rjs is alluding to, and my current boots were well very fitted by Ian in Blues Edinburgh. Or indeed the trip to Bicester.

Shona is excellent. And the boss of the ski department at Brigham`s is also excellent (can`t member his name, tall guy with a beard).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
rjs wrote:
Is Stirling too far ?

No I'm willing to drive for 90 mins. Alain in Stirling would be fine. Would you recommend him as a fitter?

Thoroughly recommend him as would a few others I know.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
rjs wrote:
Is Stirling too far ?

He did mine. Expect to be steered towards Head boots as he is still sponsored by them. Laughing Laughing Laughing

He got mine pretty much right first time but I do need to go back to see him as there is still one bit that is pressing on my left foot.

Although he is normally open "office hours" he can be flexible and do evenings.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@balernoStu, there were a few of us having this discussion yesterday at Hillend. Very Happy Very Happy I think Shona splits her days between Glasgow and Edinburgh and was well talked about. Ian might have jumped ship to Craigdon.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had mine done in Blues in Glasgow (part of the big Tiso store) year before last; took the appropriate amount of time and care and I'm pretty happy with what I got. I also have custom footbeds. Slightly different scenario though, as I bought brand new off the shelf Fischer vacuum boots, but one of my ski buddies also had his boots fitted there and subsequently re-shaped with no problems and good service.

Need to book ahead though at this time of year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, interesting, I did hear another Blues staff member went to Craigdon but hadn't heard Ian was away too. The new shop certainly is handy for Hillend.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cptsideways wrote:
Alpine Mcanix is South Bristol way so not a million miles away, though he might be in the alps currently

Andi at Alpine McCannix is not a boot fitter as such (ie he does not sell and fit boots ), he works out of our store about 1 day per month doing skier alignment and stance adjustments

for Galsgow, Shona at Nevisport
Stirling Alain Baxter @ Alain Baxter sports
snow report
Thanks all. This and other treads were very helpful.

I'll try Alain first then Shona if he is booked out.

@CEM I didn't know you were a weegie Happy
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
rjs wrote:
Is Stirling too far ?

Thoroughly recommend him as would a few others I know.

+2

Took the drive up there after years of slightly dodgy fits from high street shops and will never go anywhere else, if your a racer then its doubly worth the trip as Alain has been busy building some custom rigs for race boot setting.
ski holidays
Scott in Ellis Brigham has been awesome for me over the last few years! I think that maybe who @Deedee, is referring to.

I've went from boot nightmare for 4 years to feeling great, even after 3 hours of boot packing the other day. Cool
snow report
I think I know Scott if he is the chap with the beard that does a lot of off piste skiing.

Cheers
Bob
latest report
That's the one! Balding/really short hair
latest report
haigie wrote:
That's the one! Balding/really short hair

well he has more hair than me (if you don't count my back).
snow report
It also really depends what your after, if you have any real feet issues or require something more substantial boot wise then Brighams is best avoided. I gave up on their stock after two sets of Salomom X-Max120s failed on me, they refused to warranty the second pair in-spite of the fact I only used them for four days. Expensive lesson learned. Blues and Baxter Sports actually have access to a better range of boots IMO.

I went directly to Atomic and bought the boots I should have when years ago (didn't have time to have them fitted properly and the shop sold out of them), Alain did an excellent job of the final fit of the footbeds, I needed some foam work done to raise my foot and its not something I have ever seen done at one of the larger stores, in the end the fitting and the boots actually cost me less than a new set from Brighams.
snow report
balernoStu wrote:
@Gaza, interesting, I did hear another Blues staff member went to Craigdon but hadn't heard Ian was away too. The new shop certainly is handy for Hillend.

I wonder if they are affected by the JD sports buyout.
snow conditions
Scott is the guy from Brigham`s. He`s on this video, after about a minute and 30 seconds. https://vimeo.com/135035021
ski holidays
Deedee wrote:
Scott is the guy from Brigham`s. He`s on this video, after about a minute and 30 seconds. https://vimeo.com/135035021

Yes that is him.

He is a really nice bloke.
snow conditions
Definitely Alain Baxter, I've been to lots of boot fitters and seem to have quiet princessy feet, I went to him to get some adjustments on boots I bought in Chamonix and was very impressed, would definitely buy my next boots from him.
latest report
lynseyf wrote:
Definitely Alain Baxter, I've been to lots of boot fitters and seem to have quiet princessy feet, I went to him to get some adjustments on boots I bought in Chamonix and was very impressed, would definitely buy my next boots from him.

I've already emailed him. I'll probably get a reply next week. It is Hogmanay after all. Happy
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
lynseyf wrote:

I've already emailed him. I'll probably get a reply next week. It is Hogmanay after all. Happy

I know he was going away either Christmas week or New Year week with his family and another ex-Olympian and his family. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Went to see Alain on Sat. Not a normal working day for him but he came in to help me.

New set of Lange boots on the way to get fitted next week.
ski holidays
Thanks all.

Went to Alain baxter after emailing him a few details in advance. Off the top of his head he suggested Lange RX120 or XT120 for walk mode.

I took my old boots up and he compared the flex and how much I would go up after an honest discussion about my ability (mince).

Tested on a pair of Head that were similar in length and we ordered in the Lange Xt120. Great fit right out of the box. One footbed is 1mm thinner on one foot at the toes and a small grind on the other foot for an outside rub at todays fitting.

I've not ski'd in them but the fit is great and on my skis this afternoon (in my office....alone)..... they are very comfortable.

Very happy with the superb service from AB and realise that a tweak will be required on my return from the BB12. Very happy to recommend him to anyone.

Cheers
Bob
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, cheaky question but can I ask how much this service costs or is it included in a non discounted RRP price of the boot. I have a pair of Head boots ( 70 flex) that I bought out of Decathlon cheap to get me started again & if I still liked skiing, they have done the job but as I am getting better I feel I need stiffer boots.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, cheaky question but can I ask how much this service costs or is it included in a non discounted RRP price of the boot. I have a pair of Head boots ( 70 flex) that I bought out of Decathlon cheap to get me started again & if I still liked skiing, they have done the job but as I am getting better I feel I need stiffer boots.

normally non discounted RRP.

Scott at Ellis Brigham is good and they will probably have some ice boots on sale. Smaller shops like Alain will have a range of boots but probably less on sale. IMHO, boots is one thing you don't compromise on. A boot mod will be £50-60 if you already have them or if they are a year old and you done have he mod done in the initial fit process (e.g. if you discover a prob and put up with it for a year Happy.... )
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy