Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should Helmets be MANDATORY

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/p9T6-KPFRq8

Shocked

Discuss Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 22-12-15 23:23; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This would have been a fine candidate for a "Is skiing on piste now more dangerous than ever? Are drones to blame?" thread.

Seriously though, that was bloody close and it looked like a pretty hefty piece of kit, could have pretty bad if it had hit him.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Title changed Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep. Was watching this live on Eurosport and was wondering what exactly it was that fell out of the skies there. Lucky, very lucky. He would have been badly hurt by that I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PaulC1984, +1 snowHead Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Indeed, hope it highlights the problem - can you imagine Val D with all the drone and the kids getting picked off one by one!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I reckon random drone strikes could make quite a few sports a lot better television. Golf, Motor Racing, General post match pitch-side commentators, Curling, the list is endless really.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I reckon random drone strikes could make quite a few sports a lot better television. Golf, Motor Racing, General post match pitch-side commentators, Curling, the list is endless really.

Im not sure drone strikes are making it very exciting in Syria........

But yes I get your sentiment Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Im not sure drone strikes are making it very exciting in Syria........

But yes I get your sentiment Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, at least it should settle the helmet question once and for all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tubaski wrote:
Well, at least it should settle the helmet question once and for all.

haha i like your thinking - shall we change the title - I think we should!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tubaski wrote:
This would have been a fine candidate for a "Is skiing on piste now more dangerous than ever? Are drones to blame?" thread.

Seriously though, that was bloody close and it looked like a pretty hefty piece of kit, could have pretty bad if it had hit him.

The broadcaster should be fined heavily for not having an anti-crash system built into such a big piece of kit next to big crowds.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:
not having an anti-crash system built into such a big piece of kit next to big crowds.

Is that even possible?? I genuinely dont know btw!

I just thought battery had run out Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://euobserver.com/economic/131418
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stateside, the FAA are trying to regulate drone usage, albeit rather shakily as theres some question over whether they actually have the power to do what they're trying to do...
snow conditions
Drone use is heavily regulated in the UK by the CAA - no more than 7kg weight, no closer than 50m or other person or 100m to a building , may not be used for monitoring, always in line of sight of the operator, land owners permission etc. I guess the regulations are pretty much the same over the rest of europe. Beyond these limits you require a special licence, which may or may not be awarded.

The merside police got into serious bother a few years ago when they went a bought a couple quadcopters and used them illegally
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8517726.stm
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
The mer(sey)side police got into serious bother a few years ago when they went a bought a couple quadcopters and used them illegally

I think the Police should have known that "ignorance of the Law is no excuse". Toofy Grin
latest report
johnE wrote:
Drone use is heavily regulated in the UK by the CAA
#

In France too before anyone thinks it is ok to use a "follow me" drone in Val d'Isere.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Drone use is heavily regulated in the UK by the CAA - no more than 7kg weight, no closer than 50m or other person or 100m to a building , may not be used for monitoring, always in line of sight of the operator, land owners permission etc. I guess the regulations are pretty much the same over the rest of europe. Beyond these limits you require a special licence, which may or may not be awarded.

The merside police got into serious bother a few years ago when they went a bought a couple quadcopters and used them illegally

Paragliging and paramotoring also have ruels - that many don't abide by.
The only time the CAA seem to bother is if a major air route is infringed upon.

The sheer number of drones in the UK means it's going yo be very difficult to police anything.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
The broadcaster should be fined heavily for not having an anti-crash system built into such a big piece of kit next to big crowds.
Doesn't gravity have the final say ?
snow conditions
Quote:

The sheer number of drones in the UK means it's going yo be very difficult to police anything.

So are we talking about everyone wearing helments all the time when outside in case of falling drones, meteor strikes etc Or just in crowded places??
latest report
@Tarquin, the drone should have firmware that detects low battery and lands itself safely.
snow conditions
Well radio controlled multirotors certainly have firmware that let's them auto land. Not sure how good that will be in variable terrain. They also have telemetry telling the operator how much power is left, at least on the less cheap ones.

US new rules don't have a drone register. They have a register of all rc aircraft users, and users must indicate their details on the aircraft. Since rc aircraft are kits or scratch built, they at least got that bit covered. Shame its like several other laws where it's the good guys that get licences and monitored, not the ones that don't care about laws, "just to be seen to be doing something".
snow report
It should be flown outwith the ski corridor for tv filming, no one done a safety report on this job or did it badly, it could/should have had a parachute, that would almost certainly be a requirement in the UK.
No auto land or fail safe is guaranteed though, especially if they forgot to strap the battery in or the flight controller died or something flew into the drone or, or or, that's why you would have it outside of the course but perhaps the director wanted fancy chase shots.
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
@Tarquin, the drone should have firmware that detects low battery and lands itself safely.
But maybe it didn't work. If it was infallible they'd have it in planes.
latest report
FIS have made a statement -

http://www.skiracing.com/stories/fis-responds-to-madonna-di-campiglio-drone-crash

“Drones won’t be used in the future.” This is such a shame, the drone angle is brilliant
snow report
@Tarquin, I'm not a qualified pilot, but as far as I'm aware planes don't run on batteries, and I'm guessing that fuel indicators is a minimum equipment requirement.
snow report
geeo wrote:
It should be flown outwith the ski corridor for tv filming, no one done a safety report on this job or did it badly, it could/should have had a parachute, that would almost certainly be a requirement in the UK.
No auto land or fail safe is guaranteed though, especially if they forgot to strap the battery in or the flight controller died or something flew into the drone or, or or, that's why you would have it outside of the course but perhaps the director wanted fancy chase shots.

The highlighted statement doesn't really allow for the fact that there will be crowds or at least some spectators watching beside the ski corridor so avoiding the ski corridor still puts the spectators at risk. They were apparently only supposed to fly in a corridor next to the slope but realistically what are the chances they will stay in that corridor? And in the case of an accident what are the chances it will still fall outside that corridor. Should all the spectators be required to wear helmets as well?

I suspect that the days of the current gay abandon with which drones are used are probably numbered. I must admit I'd quite like one for skiing particular when off-piste and in the 'wilds' but it would be very inconsiderate to other mountain users and, since I hate being bothered by sightseeing helicopters and such like when in the mountains, it would be very hypocritical of me to use one myself. So I'm afraid I'm in favour of ski resorts banning their use.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MadMountainMan, +1

Quote:

So I'm afraid I'm in favour of ski resorts banning their use.

I suspect this will become another battleground between those libertarians who may claim their "rights" are being restricted and those who think that these days there is too much talk about rights, and not enough about responsibilities !
latest report
Dr John wrote:
@Tarquin, I'm not a qualified pilot, but as far as I'm aware planes don't run on batteries, and I'm guessing that fuel indicators is a minimum equipment requirement.
My car doesn't run on batteries but if there's no electricity it won't go. Won't drones have battery indicators ?
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Probably hit another drone...........
snow report
KenX wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Probably hit another drone...........

I don't think so; if you look carefully it doesn't appear at all damaged until after it actually hits the ground.
snow conditions
Quote:

The highlighted statement doesn't really allow for the fact that there will be crowds or at least some spectators watching beside the ski corridor so avoiding the ski corridor still puts the spectators at risk.

Well you obviously wouldn't fly over spectators instead of the course it doesn't have to be one or the other, usually they are only used for small areas of footage where cameras cant cover so that area is a no go for spectators, although they are so capable now more likely directors want the best shots available hence chasing the skier.

Quote:

hey were apparently only supposed to fly in a corridor next to the slope but realistically what are the chances they will stay in that corridor? And in the case of an accident what are the chances it will still fall outside that corridor. Should all the spectators be required to wear helmets as well?

There is no normal reason for it to leave it's desired route but it's under the control of a human so who knows what choices they will make and anything can go wrong, chances of it falling straight down as opposed to going haywire wherever are anyone's guess, that's why you should plan for the worst hope for the best.
snow report
deerman wrote:
@MadMountainMan, +1

Quote:

So I'm afraid I'm in favour of ski resorts banning their use.

I suspect this will become another battleground between those libertarians who may claim their "rights" are being restricted and those who think that these days there is too much talk about rights, and not enough about responsibilities !

Drones will probably get regulated out of popular existence as soon as some fruitloop does a terr*r attack with one in the next few years.
snow conditions
@Whitegold, Like handguns have been regulated out of popular existence in the UK ?
snow conditions
deerman wrote:
@Whitegold, Like handguns have been regulated out of popular existence in the UK ?

Talking of drones and handguns, why not combine them? :

http://youtube.com/v/MBBC-xL_MTg#t=59
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy