Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach snow conditions

Poster: A snowHead
I paid around 25 Euro including nice breakfast and use of full kitchen near Leogang (short free ski bus ride) last January.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-01-16 17:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Millom, but they're not in Verbier itself. Tatman's place is in Saalbach itself. If Tatman's place was in say Leogang or Vorderglemm then it might be comparable with Le Chable.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Please read my posts before replying to something different!

@hammerite,

"We weren't talking about cost and this is a completely different discussion. There is cheaper accommodation in even the most expensive ski regions, lets not forget Saalbach is not cheap either. You can find something with easy access to Verbier for the same price as Saalbach. For cheaper access to the Saalbach ski area you'd choose a satelite such as Leogang. If price of trip was your primary concern you wouldn't likely choose either resort."

You'll see that I said:

'with easy access to Verbier'

AND

'For cheaper access to the Saalbach ski area you'd choose a satelite such as Leogang'

It really is like talking with kindergarten children sometimes when trying to have a sensible conversation with people on here.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Millom wrote:
Please read my posts before replying to something different!

@hammerite,

"We weren't talking about cost and this is a completely different discussion. There is cheaper accommodation in even the most expensive ski regions, lets not forget Saalbach is not cheap either. You can find something with easy access to Verbier for the same price as Saalbach. For cheaper access to the Saalbach ski area you'd choose a satelite such as Leogang. If price of trip was your primary concern you wouldn't likely choose either resort."

You'll see that I said:

with easy access to Verbier

AND

For cheaper access to the Saalbach ski area you'd choose a satelite such as Leogang

It really is like talking with kindergarten children sometimes when trying to have a sensible conversation with people on here.

Let's put this mathematically:

You say Cheap Verbier = Saalbach

Therefore Verbier > Saalbach

Saalbach overall is considerably cheaper than Verbier ON AVERAGE - we all know that so i don't know why you are arguing differently. Saying "not cheap either" is not really the right comparison.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
..and the relevance of this debate to this forum (entitled Snow reports - weather - snow conditions) is Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Millom, Tatman said "in Verbier" and you've found places that would be cheaper to stay in another village. It's not a comparison.

It's easy to find cheap places to stay with access to any ski area without staying in a main village or town. It doesn't prove your earlier point the cost of staying in Saalbach compared to anywhere else.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Room in Le Chable (middle of Verbier ski area)

Some buggers moved it then, it's always been below the Verbier ski area when I've visited.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TBar,

The verbier ski area relates to the area to the right of the 4 valleys piste map and includes Bruson (this may be your confusion). Therefore a reasonable description would be 'middle of Verbier ski area' or alternatively 'towards one end of 4 valleys ski area' which also applies to Verbier itself. Key thing to think here is that from Verbier you need to go though La Chable to get to Bruson (or the other way round).

@FionaFiona, sorry for the diversion to the thread.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did the anti-clockwise circuit of the valley today with eight other skiers, and I shall tell it like it is, warts and all. I should point out at the outset that, although the weather was very sunny and cloudless, it was very cold, which meant that the pistes did not significantly deteriorate during the day. Went up the Bernkogel at about 10.30 (I know, but it had been a late night as usual). Resisted the temptation to ski back down, as piste 46 was wide, freshly-groomed and hardly tracked. Got over to the Reiterkogel and did red 36a down the Sunliner chair - it was light powder on a firm base - very enjoyable to ski, although Millom will be glad to hear that I did notice a few thin patches. Skied over to Reiterkogel Mitte and was delighted to find that piste 35, which a couple of weeks ago was in a poor state, was now okay - no brown patches and adequate cover - a relief as my skis have just been serviced. On ascending the Hasenauer chair it was noticeable that pistes 32 and 33 (underneath the chair) were in excellent condition - fast, unmogulled and powdery on a firm base - as regular visitors to Saalbach will know, that area can sometimes be a challenge. The same applied to all the pistes going over to Hochalm and also piste 19 at the end of the valley (from the top of the Spieleck chair), and also piste 22a descending to the valley - no significant moguls and no ice, just a good grippy, powdery surface.
Over on the Zwoelferkogel, the snow on piste 11/11a was unsurprisingly good (as it normally is), and the run down to the mid-station of the Zwoelferkogelbahn was enjoyed by all. We stopped at the Grabenhuette for lunch (delightfully off the beaten track, with good food and service) - the short off-piste run down to it was fun, the deepish powder being light and unproblematic for the less experienced skiers.
After lunch we moved over to Schattberg Westgipfel, and the Westgipfel red run (piste 6/6a) looked extremely inviting, but again we resisted the temptation, skiing over to Schattberg Ost via pistes 7 and 4, which were also in good condition, as was 2a. Even the less confident skiers rattled down them with no hesitation or problems.
Now all this time, our friend with a big chip on his shoulder is no doubt thinking, "I told you so - he's eulogising the conditions in order to get someone who might otherwise have gone to Verbier to go to Saalbach instead". So, I shall spike his guns by conceding that the lower section of piste 2b was a bit of a pig - but then it so often is in the late afternoon - scraped, mogully and a bit icy in places. The weakest skier in our party, whose legs were failing by then, found it somewhat gruelling - can't believe it's graded as a blue run.
However up we then went into the sunshine on the Schoenleitenbahn, and all was well again - piste 66 was in reasonable condition - obviously well-used during the day and slightly mogully, but nothing to pose a problem, even to tired legs.
The moonlit run down pistes 66 and 51 from the Bergeralm, after happy hour, was sublime as usual - snow cannons going full pelt on piste 51 incidentally.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 22-01-16 22:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Millom, Traditionally the Verbier ski area for most people is the area next to Verbier The other bit is the Bruson area also covered on the Verbier lift pass. Until last year you had to get a bus to ski the area.
I have nothing against Le Chable, it is a really pleasant little village and reasonably convenient for Verbier though the last time I went you had to dismount the telecabine at Verbier and remount when before you could go right through . Not sure if this was temporary or a permanent feature. But if a tour operator was selling Le Chable as being in the middle of the Verbier ski area I would not trust that operators descriptions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Millom... thanks! Sense of humour failure anticipating trip out that way next Wednesday.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Fiona, Puzzled Are you going to Saalbach next Wednesday?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@millom, where have you skied this season and when, it's not a difficult question unless you are an elected member of parliament?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
a comparison of accomodation prices re le chable and saalbach is a bit like comparing the m1 to a country lane there both roads but thats it, if it means someone will not be visiting saalbach this season or ever thats all to the good for the rest of mankind .I get the gist from earlier posters that have been sofar nothing but praise for the piste management teams which bodes well for the rest of the season esp as im going end feb
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ski for fun, it's a great resort. And it's not very expensive.

Sometimes it has more snow than some places, sometimes less.

In fairness I don't think it has ever had a reputation for holding records for the deepest snow in the Alps, but I also don't think that has ever been a problem.

Snow earlier this season was thin, looks much better now. Sounds like they are managing it very well.
ski holidays
We've booked for a week from 6th March in Saalbach. Staying at the Siegmundshof. Could someone give me the heads up on the best/nearest ski-hire shop please?

I have been watching this thread with receding interest but have to admit that even with our impending visit the recent diatribe is turning me off. I think it would be really helpful if @Millom, started his/her own thread elswhere and left people with genuine interest in this topic to glean and comment with the usual civil behavior that is the norm on snowheads.

Greg
snow report
Just travelling back, very slowly, from from a great week in Saalbach. Snow conditions were excellent given the slow start to the season, no one in our group had any complaints. It was snowing when we left at 9.00 so I'd expect a good top up by the end of the day. It's chaos on the roads and I'm seriously worried we're going to miss our flight!! Anyone coming out today should have a cracking week.
snow report
@northantsred, From your hotel, just walk along the main road past the Schattberg Xpress lift station until you get to Bobby's Pub, which is on the corner of the main road and the main village street (Dorfstrasse). Next door but one to Bobby's Pub you will find Hansi's Best-Price. Hansi will look after you very well - he speaks excellent English, is very experienced and his equipment is renewed each season. It's his own business, so he can undercut his big chain rivals. All our friends and guests speak highly of him (and that's not just because of his warm welcome with a schnapps or a beer from the bar in his shop.) If you mention that I recommended you to go to him, he will give you a very generous discount - all the more generous because I don't get any commission from him, just the occasional favour.
ski holidays
How's the apres going Mr T? Up to the usual standards I hope?

Millom wrote:

You really are obnoxious, can you please just leave this thread alone for the rest of us to enjoy reading?
snow report
@HoneyBunny, The only thing wrong with it is that, if you're weak, you can be seduced into doing too much of it! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
That is definitely my problem!! I'd have no liver left if I tried to live in a ski resort haha. Especially Saalbach Toofy Grin
latest report
@Millom... Sorry to disappoint but I'm off to Obergurgl. However that weather thread is rather dormant, unlike this one. I was looking for that "30cm expected Tuesday night" post from you all in the area...
snow conditions
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Did the anti-clockwise circuit of the valley today with eight other skiers, and I shall tell it like it is, warts and all. I should point out at the outset that, although the weather was very sunny and cloudless, it was very cold, which meant that the pistes did not significantly deteriorate during the day. Went up the Bernkogel at about 10.30 (I know, but it had been a late night as usual). Resisted the temptation to ski back down, as piste 46 was wide, freshly-groomed and hardly tracked. Got over to the Reiterkogel and did red 36a down the Sunliner chair - it was light powder on a firm base - very enjoyable to ski, although Millom will be glad to hear that I did notice a few thin patches. Skied over to Reiterkogel Mitte and was delighted to find that piste 35, which a couple of weeks ago was in a poor state, was now okay - no brown patches and adequate cover - a relief as my skis have just been serviced. On ascending the Hasenauer chair it was noticeable that pistes 32 and 33 (underneath the chair) were in excellent condition - fast, unmogulled and powdery on a firm base - as regular visitors to Saalbach will know, that area can sometimes be a challenge. The same applied to all the pistes going over to Hochalm and also piste 19 at the end of the valley (from the top of the Spieleck chair), and also piste 22a descending to the valley - no significant moguls and no ice, just a good grippy, powdery surface.
Over on the Zwoelferkogel, the snow on piste 11/11a was unsurprisingly good (as it normally is), and the run down to the mid-station of the Zwoelferkogelbahn was enjoyed by all. We stopped at the Grabenhuette for lunch (delightfully off the beaten track, with good food and service) - the short off-piste run down to it was fun, the deepish powder being light and unproblematic for the less experienced skiers.
After lunch we moved over to Schattberg Westgipfel, and the Westgipfel red run (piste 6/6a) looked extremely inviting, but again we resisted the temptation, skiing over to Schattberg Ost via pistes 7 and 4, which were also in good condition, as was 2a. Even the less confident skiers rattled down them with no hesitation or problems.
Now all this time, our friend with a big chip on his shoulder is no doubt thinking, "I told you so - he's eulogising the conditions in order to get someone who might otherwise have gone to Verbier to go to Saalbach instead". So, I shall spike his guns by conceding that the lower section of piste 2b was a bit of a pig - but then it so often is in the late afternoon - scraped, mogully and a bit icy in places. The weakest skier in our party, whose legs were failing by then, found it somewhat gruelling - can't believe it's graded as a blue run.
However up we then went into the sunshine on the Schoenleitenbahn, and all was well again - piste 66 was in reasonable condition - obviously well-used during the day and slightly mogully, but nothing to pose a problem, even to tired legs.
The moonlit run down pistes 66 and 51 from the Bergeralm, after happy hour, was sublime as usual - snow cannons going full pelt on piste 51 incidentally.

We skied a similar circuit on Friday and found conditions to be excellent throughout the day. Whether there was 6 inches or 6 feet of snow below us made no difference. As you say, 11 was a joy to ski but having tired legs I too bailed out and downloaded via the Schattberg Express instead of skiing 2b. Incidentally, I find many of the Blues in Saalbach a bit on the Red side (including 2b with its long steep section at the bottom) but there are easy ways round the circuit once you get to know the area.

Pete
latest report
@PeteMan, As you say, it helps to know the area and which blues are genuine blues and how to plan itineraries that don't get you onto runs that you'd prefer to avoid, especially in the late afternoon. Bailing out via the Schattberg Xpress and then taking the ski bus down to the Schoenleitenbahn, for a delightful final run from the Wildenkarkogel down the Kohlmais, is certainly a good option for those with tired legs. After a rest on the gondola and the bus, it has been known for those legs to be re-energised, and one of the great things about that long, final run down pistes 66 and 52 (or 51) is that you can take as much time as you like over it and have as many pit-stops as you like in the many bars/restaurants on the way down. Several times last week we skied down by moonlight, and it was genuinely some of the nicest skiing we ever do.
snow conditions
Thanks for that Tatman, much appreciated.

Greg
snow conditions
Just had a quick look at webcams,conditions look pretty good! Planning my trip to Saalbach at moment so any updates would be appreciated Very Happy
snow report
I skied there today. Getting a bit soft, and some runs without snow machines are closing - we need colder conditions and a bit more snow. Having said that, we had a great day!
snow report
@johnbarr, Thanks for reply,lets hope it snows soon!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heavy snow forecasted for next Wednesday - http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/mid
ski holidays
Any tips on where to go when tanking it down with snow - in terms of decent visibility?? Hate flat light and one of the many appealing aspect of the area is the amount of tree lined runs. Loads forecast for Sunday which will be our first day on the snow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@boabski, Tree-lined runs - Bernkogel and Kohlmais are the best bets. Plenty of decent restaurants to dive into too!
ski holidays
Thanks as ever.
snow report
Looks like its snowing on Kohlmais webcam. Very Happy
ski holidays
joshua wrote:
Looks like its snowing on Kohlmais webcam. Very Happy
just. 1.2°C... so marginal and will be raining later...
snow report
@buchanan101, Still snowing so heres hoping it stays for a while snowHead
snow report
Been snowing all day here. This place is mega. Ok snow was quite heavy mid mountain down but up top it was lovely. Manged some fresh tracks with the kids early doors and although visibility wasn't great , the snow was fantastic. No queues anywhere. Managed a few hours at the goasstahl and that was pretty darned good. Snow seems to have stopped for now so hopefully it will be clear tomorrow and I can ramp up the mph. Great area Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
What's the deal with the TirolS lift? It hasn't been open at all, locking out 30% of the resort. Today's my last day and I was hoping to check out Fieberbrunn.
snow conditions
@deconst, It is probably closed because of the storm-force winds that have been hurling around the peaks. Thought my roof was going to end up in Slovenia last night it was so strong. Even if the winds are not over the limit early in the day, they have to think about closures as people could be stranded and have to be bussed around back to their start point. Better to have it closed all day and reduce the risk of additional costs.
snow report
The building of the TirolS was completely financed by Fieberbrunn, and I was informed that the cost of bussing stranded skiers back to their respective valleys in the event of closure is also entirely met by them. S-H saw no economic merit in linking the resorts, so the whole link has been driven by Fieberbrunn. Given the potential costs of bussing hundreds of skiers, I would imagine they are going to be very conservative about opening the lift if the forecast is even remotely dicey.
latest report
This morning the lifts on the Steinplatte at Waidring weren't running because of the high winds. They may have started later but we didn't hang around.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy