Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach snow conditions

Poster: A snowHead
@PeteMan, Rarely have I seen it snow harder!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tatman where should we head for today?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tree-lined runs - Kohlmais?

Update (half an hour later): It's clearing from the east, so we'll be heading that way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Conditions perfect here today. Cloudless blue skies, pistes in great condition, not too busy and not uncomfortably cold.

Currently enjoying a mid day beer and curried sausages.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hard to imagine how conditions could be better (unless you're Millom!). Piste 68 was open today - skied 7km without seeing any other skiers on a perfectly groomed piste. Gulasch soup at the Hecherhuette fully lived up to expectations too! Happy hour at the Burglar Alarm and then skied down the magic carpet at round 5.30pm, after 4 bashers had been up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"Hard to imagine how conditions could be better". Well for starters you could be North-West French Alps, Valais, Bernese, or Western Austria which all currently probably have far better snow conditions than the Saalbach region?!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 18-01-16 18:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Millom, The "probably" and the "?" are your undoing! NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd pop the weasley troll on ignore if I was you wink

FWIW, I'd also extend my appreciation of Tatman's Tours, from first hand experience.

A great ski host and genuinely helpful person who's knowledge and experience contributes to many people's enjoyment of S H - skiing and apres-ing. Decent bloke too.

Still, I guess one doesn't have to be a TWAT to be a twat...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Cacciatore, Thank you for those comments, but how did you manage to enter the "t" word? When I tried it, the clever software on this site automatically changed it to "lady's front bottom", which, if I were Millom the troll, I might find rather more objectionable than the "t" word.
I met the angry birds (sans helmet covers) today, by the way - purely by chance at the Rachkuchl. We did piste 68 together, and it put us in mind of that previous glorious day a few years ago when we last did it together - very similar conditions. Let's hope they don't ruin it when they put in the link to Zell.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gently snowing again in the Town at Hinterglemm since about 5pm. Not sure how much to come but a nice little 'freshner' !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are the fun parks open now? looks like they've been shut to date but hopefully open now (for the kids obviously Toofy Grin )
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tatman's Tours wrote:

I met the angry birds (sans helmet covers) today, by the way - purely by chance at the Rachkuchl. We did piste 68 together, and it put us in mind of that previous glorious day a few years ago when we last did it together - very similar conditions. Let's hope they don't ruin it when they put in the link to Zell.

Aww that's nice! Was corking when we did it a few years back. Hope they're having a good time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski wrote:
Are the fun parks open now? looks like they've been shut to date but hopefully open now (for the kids obviously Toofy Grin )

Hi boaski, well the one at the bottom of the Ubahn gondola in Hinterglemm is well under construction. They have been running the snow cannons full time in that area to create lots of spare snow and today there were two piste machines piling it up and making the jumps and rollers. Think it will be finished tomorrow. The BMW speed gun / video slope next to it is also open. Conditions this week have been absolutely brilliant across the whole area. Lots of snow cannon still running as they are trying to build up the base before it warms up again which they are predicting from next Monday.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Millom wrote:
"Hard to imagine how conditions could be better". Well for starters you could be North-West French Alps, Valais, Bernese, or Western Austria which all currently probably have far better snow conditions than the Saalbach region?!

Why? Snow can be perfect in different places.
snow report
Hi, looks like it is going to warm up considerably next week. Is there enough of a base to sustain the warm weather for a while?
ski holidays
@blaxadder, thanks for the info. The kids have lost out on the fun parks over the last couple of years so would be good to know that at least one if them open.
snow report
@millom, please can you tell me where have skied this season and what dates?
snow report
I skied fieberbrun today for the first time, great addition to the area, last part down to gondola back to Saalbach was not good though with stones about, thankfully i hire the skis
snow conditions
@buchanan @ribble,

There has been heavy snowfall in the areas I mentioned which just hasn't fallen to the same amounts near Saalbach. If it was possible to assess quality of snow for all resorts I'd expect it may sit somewhere in the middle thus far this year. There was more snow when I was there last Jan but the conditions were not perfect, some pistes closed, etc. I'm not someone to think every ski day or resort is perfect (or claim such every week). In most cases conditions I ski are a mixture of poor, ok/good, and super over the season. I don't come with preconceived ideas and I try to always be objective. How useful is this forum if every resort is said by someone to be perfect every day of the season? My resort is great, my resort has perfect snow, my resort expects snowfall soon, my resort always runs cannons, even if the snow is only quite good we have the best restaurants and more sun than anyone else... and so on and so on. As well as being tedious it all becomes meaningless. By the way I wrote a few lines about my first trip this winter if you're interested.
ski holidays
@Millom, Please quote facts and cite your evidence, not just opinions, many of them speculative. On the other hand, you sound depressed. Whenever I read your dour contributions, I'm irresistibly reminded of the Parable of the Cowshed ("The Last Battle", C.S. Lewis). (See http://zimriel.blogspot.co.at/2001_01_28_archive.html )

To all except Millom: I've just had a couple of days of fabulous skiing and have noticed that the recent snow has allowed all the runs in the sectors I've been in (Kohlmais, Viehhofen, Leogang) to be opened, including piste 68, which is the lowest in the area and has no snow cannons. Ever since the weather turned colder last week, the low temps have enabled the snow cannons to run by day as well as by night. Overnight snow in the last couple of days has resulted in perfect or near perfect, powdery piste conditions, even in the late afternoon; also plenty of powder off-piste. Occasional ice or scraped patches (e.g. that little black down to the bottom at Leogang) but not enough to worry about. The cold temps and relatively uncrowded pistes have meant very few moguls or chopped-up pistes in the busy areas where you normally expect them - e.g. piste 66.
The local website cites current snow depths as: Valley 65cm; Middle 100cm; Mountain 145cm. It doesn't seem so long ago that it was 10/20/30!
Tomorrow I'm planning on doing the anti-clockwise circuit of the valley, so will see what the Hinterglemm/Zwoelfer/Schattberg slopes are like.
@ribblevalleyblue, Noted re Fieberbrunn - a bit disappointing that the Reckmoos Sud run isn't in better condition after all this snow - looks as if it could a problem area?

On the apres front, the band who were supposed to be playing in Bobby's every Thursday have unfortunately had to cancel all their dates, as they were let down by Crazy Daisy's at Zell. However the Underbar have loaned their singer to Bobby's and have taken on the excellent and popular "Emil".
Irish band, Cuckoo were, as ever, excellent in Bobby's on Monday evening, and I understand that they have two dates at the Underbar during February, and a further date in Bobby's during March (could well be Paddy's Night).
ski holidays
Millom wrote:
@buchanan @ribble,

There has been heavy snowfall in the areas I mentioned which just hasn't fallen to the same amounts near Saalbach. If it was possible to assess quality of snow for all resorts I'd expect it may sit somewhere in the middle thus far this year. There was more snow when I was there last Jan but the conditions were not perfect, some pistes closed, etc. I'm not someone to think every ski day or resort is perfect (or claim such every week). In most cases conditions I ski are a mixture of poor, ok/good, and super over the season. I don't come with preconceived ideas and I try to always be objective. How useful is this forum if every resort is said by someone to be perfect every day of the season? My resort is great, my resort has perfect snow, my resort expects snowfall soon, my resort always runs cannons, even if the snow is only quite good we have the best restaurants and more sun than anyone else... and so on and so on. As well as being tedious it all becomes meaningless. By the way I wrote a few lines about my first trip this winter if you're interested.

Beyond a certain depth you don't need more snow for the conditions to be excellent. I take Tatman's word for it. Saalbach has 100cm/50cm easily and for low Austria in the east that is more than enough. Quality of snow also counts, not quantity. So if Tatman says conditions are excellent; and there are some relatively hidden gems at Saalbach, then I take his word for it and I expect they will be as good as anywhere in the Alps. Not better, as good as...
snow report
@buchanan101, damn you for quoting the self-righteous troll! Now I can read his bile despite having him on Ignore! Confused Laughing Laughing
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
@buchanan101, damn you for quoting the self-righteous troll! Now I can read his bile despite having him on Ignore! Confused Laughing Laughing

Simples: the snow is best where he knows; that's it. It can't be excellent everywhere...

Piste 68 at Saalbach is the lowest (down to 750m?), has no snow making and is south facing so if the snow there is excellent then the whole region should be.

I assume it will have snow making next year as it's the only way to get to the new lift to Zell I think?
latest report
Snowfall compared to last 3 January months.

Well below 2015
Above 2014 (but likely similar or below by end of month)
Below 2013

There will be other considerations for example this year ground was warm through December and no early snowfall, last January had foen winds etc. but this gives an indication that it has been an average to poor year for Saalbach to date. Obviously for other areas of the Alps it has been better or worse. If you view snowfall figures for Swiss on map posted on here you'll see parts of the country well above average. Therefore this would seem a good year to for example visit Verbier. Those are the facts, take them as you will. Some people have their own agenda and others are blinkered. But then why should I care.
latest report
@Millom, To be honest I always think that @Tatman's Tours, gives a fair evaluation of conditions - prior to New Year he was very honest about the lack of snow yet also can find positives where possible. I visited Saalbach in New Year week for the day and found plenty of fairly decent skiing and was pleasantly surprised. I would find it incredibly weird for him to come on here and say not to visit Saalbach this year because the conditions are only very good and you can find better conditions in Verbier not forgetting it will cost you twice as much.

Since the beginning of the second week of January the areas around Saalbach inc Zell am See have had quite significant snowfalls - maybe they aren't popular or glamorous enough to have this shouted from the rooftops. There were 7-10 days of very low daytime temperatures (-5 to -15) combined with regular 10-25cm in a day snowfalls. You only need to observe the last two weeks of the Hi-Res webcam from 750m asl at Zell am See to see this in evidence. http://www.bergfex.com/schmittenhoehe-zellamsee/webcams/c5405/
latest report
@Athers, the facts are in my post and people can easily find the snowfall amounts online should they wish. We weren't talking about cost and this is a completely different discussion. There is cheaper accommodation in even the most expensive ski regions, lets not forget Saalbach is not cheap either. You can find something with easy access to Verbier for the same price as Saalbach. For cheaper access to the Saalbach ski area you'd choose a satelite such as Leogang. If price of trip was your primary concern you wouldn't likely choose either resort.
latest report
Well, I'm cancelling my planned ski trip to saalbach now! It sounds like the shittiest place on earth 😀
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Millom - you seem obsessed with depth or amount of snow, not quality of conditions. The two are not inextricably linked as you seem to suggest. Different places need different amounts anyway - low Austrian resorts don't need as much as other resorts. Kitzbuhel is currently reporting excellent conditions with half of Saalbach's amounts (though I find that a little strange, just being over the other side of the hill, so to speak). Snow pockets, use of cannon maybe.

Type of snow, and air temperture, sun etc will all affect quality of snow obviously, independent of depth, as will the amount of people using them. Tatman reports skiing one 7km run in Saalbach without seeing anyone.

Saalbach is not expensive. I'm sure up the mountain prices are hugely cheaper in Saalbach than Verbier. Even Obergurgl - with an excuse for being remote and high - is reasonably priced up the mountain (though hotels being mostly 4 star are not cheap). Austria IS cheaper OVERALL than France and much cheaper than Switzerland. Similar to Italy maybe? I'm sure Bulgaria is cheaper than Austria.
ski holidays
Whitty wrote:
Well, I'm cancelling my planned ski trip to saalbach now! It sounds like the shittiest place on earth 😀

Oh it's absolutely horrid. Hate the 270km and extensive snow making, and the reasonable prices, and the fast lifts and most of the time the lack of queues.
snow conditions
We visited Saalbach for the first time last February and hated it so much that we are going back again in two weeks time.
snow report
honved wrote:
We visited Saalbach for the first time last February and hated it so much that we are going back again in two weeks time.

How masochistic...

I think we will be back next year as have to go at half term, like last year; lack of queues on most lifts rather attractive
ski holidays
This is keeping me going until I'm heading out in a fortnight for the first of my TWO trips to Saalbach this year!! Toofy Grin
snow report
There are two comparisons that can be made:

1. Current year against previous years for a resort
2. Current year for a resort compared to other resorts

In both cases for Saalbach the conclusion would be average at best which in turn suggests there would have been more average or poor snow days this season than great ones.

The reason for joining the discussion in the first place was a remark from tatman to another poster (which outright dimissed their view) for which I took offence. I rejoined the discussion earlier on this page because tatman made a remark and mentioned me directly.

I don't have any time for a lot of people on this thread, the ones who are offensive, the ones with agendas, the ones who don't won't to listen to any reason and common sense, but not everyone on here will be unlikeable so perhaps my comments will be useful to them.

By the way for comparison you can view a thread on Les Deux Alps where I'm defending that ski area against the stupid comments of other posters who again refuse to paint a truthful and balanced view point of that ski area/resort. If the views on this thread were Saalbach is terrible I'd be more than likely defending it too. Like anywhere it has good and bad points, the skiing will be better some weeks/years and worse others, ..
latest report
Me and the wife had a trip to Saalbach last January we had looked on webcams the day before and the conditions looked amazing. Role on 24hrs we were stood at the bottom of Kohlmais looking at a steady flow of water running off the piste after an overnight rise in temps and torrential rain. Initially we were really concerned and disappointed but it soon turned out to be one of the best ski holidays we had. Whilst I do see the point of some of the comments it really is about making the most of it, for me it was quite helpful to be able to read posts and find the best snow,apres and food.
Great place to ski and I will definitely return as soon as possible Very Happy
snow report
Millom wrote:
There are two comparisons that can be made:

1. Current year against previous years for a resort
2. Current year for a resort compared to other resorts

In both cases for Saalbach the conclusion would be average at best which in turn suggests there would have been more average or poor snow days this season than great ones.

You just don't seem to get it. Why do you think Saalbach conditions are average this year when you aren't there when Tatman who is there is reporting now excellent conditions due to amount of snow, amount of artificial snow, cold weather and no crowds. You possibly think he is bigging it up to sell his chalet? It's NOT all about snow depths (even then Saalbach is doing pretty well compared with any Salzburgerland resort in January in any year).
ski holidays
FYI - Skiclub report from Kitzbuhel, which hasn't had quite as much as snow as Saalbach:

"Good days skiing around Pass Thurn in superb conditions. Pistes are generally in a very good state, with all slopes holding up well. Very few crowds and no lift queues. Most people seem to be watching the racing".

I expect you'd argue with them too, that conditions aren't as good as they say they are, and MUST be better in your pet resorts because you say so.
snow report
@buchanan rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

You can find something with easy access to Verbier for the same price as Saalbach. For cheaper access to the Saalbach ski area you'd choose a satelite such as Leogang. If price of trip was your primary concern you wouldn't likely choose either resort.

Hey, man on a mission - what utter cowdoo! Our current guests are paying £175 each for 5 nights.6 days skiing - ski-in ski-out accommodation in the best location in Saalbach. Now tell me what you can get in Verbier!
snow conditions
http://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/de-la-poste-sa.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-15CAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAS64AQTIAQTYAQPoAQE;sid=75b4e1839a024de46b9dea1176a9694c;dcid=4;checkin=2017-01-14;checkout=2017-01-19;dist=0;group_adults=2;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;srfid=150e6a61e76da171587f84438b7f8e56852fa855X3;type=total;ucfs=1&

Room in Le Chable (middle of Verbier ski area) @ £175 per person including breakfast for 2 people in quad room (private) for 5 days.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ch/b-amp-b-la-baraque.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-15CAEoggJCAlhYSDNiBW5vcmVmaFCIAQGYAS64AQTIAQTYAQPoAQE;sid=75b4e1839a024de46b9dea1176a9694c;dcid=4;checkin=2017-01-14;checkout=2017-01-21;dist=0;group_adults=2;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;srfid=d353c3a329e1cd35567151397a4492a35009892fX1;type=total;ucfs=1&

Double for a week @ £342 (£171.50 each for 7 nights)

I've seen cheaper options around than these without too much trouble too.

If you looked at the other satelite villages around the 4 valleys you'd find some good (probably cheaper) deals too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy