Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski mojos

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone got these and are you happy with them?
JUST about to buy some and having last minute thoughts. I've never read anything negative about them but checking again nonetheless...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The comments on SHs are all pretty positive, I think - for some people it's the difference between skiing and not skiing. My OH had one, which he found helpful, and which I have inherited. I don't need it yet but won't hesitate when I do....

It's not a bad idea to have them fitted for you - and depending on the type, and your DIY skills, to have the gizmos for the bottom of the rods fitted to your boots.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For people who don't know - they are steel rods attached by a hip harness to the outside of your legs and fixed on your boots. There are hinges and joints that enable walking and also fix you in the ski position
People use them to take pressure off the knees. Apparently they remove a third of the weight allowing you to ski all day!
£399 so a big investment. Been saving all year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

fix you in the ski position

they don't exactly do that. You are not fixed - the Mojo pushes you up, like a hand under your backside, to reduce the work your legs have to do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@poppyb, Here's the original thread on the Ski Mojo I started back in 2007: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=733974&highlight=mojo#733974

I was skeptical initially Toofy Grin , but as pam w says many snowHeads have found them of benefit, so the conclusion seems to be that they are a very useful aid to those who need it. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Couldn't ski without mine as I have serious knee injury. However, as @pam w, said it doesn't fix you in a ski position - just takes a lot of the load off the knees. Also, if you can, worth going somewhere that will set them up for you and attach the brackets permanently to your boots - Edge and Wax will do that but depends where you are obviously.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
poppyb wrote:
Has anyone got these and are you happy with them?
JUST about to buy some and having last minute thoughts. I've never read anything negative about them but checking again nonetheless...

When my consultant told me shouldn't ski again I started looking at them. However my Physio said that my consultant was bein pessimistic and based on my rehab would be fine with just a hinged knee support and didn't need anything that supportive and that was what my rehab exercises were all about.

I am still metaphorically keeping that in my back pocket for when my knees get worse though and they certainly look good. However wondering why you are looking into them and if you need it (purely based on your comment about having second thoughts)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weak knees which hurt after skiing. (Also after running, going upstairs etc)
I want to lengthen my ski day and my ski years. Am 62 and heavier than ideal.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you seen a Physio? They may be able to give you exercises to help? And / Or suggest a brace to help?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink
Not very conclusive evidence on the thread and a lot of scepticism.
Thanks for posting though.
They don't seem to have particularly caught on do they?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Nicky
I have knee exercises and do strengthening jogging swimming walking etc. Its just a case of aging knees I think.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Am 62 and heavier than ideal

any amount of overweight really is absolutely terrible for knees. I know it's not an easy message but getting your weight down is probably the most important thing you could do to help your knees. But at 62 you should have plenty of good ski years ahead of you (I am 68 and plan to keep going for some time yet....).

I'd strongly agree with @NickyJ about the wisdom of seeing a good sports physio, if you've not already. My OH needed a mojo primarily because of having a serious heart condition, so his energy levels were low and having the Mojo meant he became less tired.

It sounds as though you are exercising, which is excellent. Have you had any knowledgeable person look at your knees?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have just bought a new set of mojo to replace an original Mk1 set (only a weeks use and uncut rods). I'd be happy to pass them on for just postage cost if it helps someone stay skiing. (I hope this isn't breaking any forum rules about selling, feel free to delete if it does).
I found them useful for the weeks rehab but haven't needed them for the last few years.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do they help with climbing?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@poppyb, If you do a search there are more recent threads with some very positive feedback.
snow report
@poppyb, If you do a search there are more recent threads with some very positive feedback.
snow conditions
@mesk1,
I have pmd you. I would love to buy your mojos.
P.S. I am on the 5:2 diet Pam
We live in hope.
snow report
Good luck with the 5:2. Quite a few other snowheads have found it helped loose the weight (and keep it off) that we needed to

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=110558&highlight=
latest report
There was a ski mojo demo team here in L2A, opening weekend I think. Guess they may be touring around if you want to try one.
snow report
Hi, my wife stretched and the snapped her ACL a number of years ago. She bought the mk2 mojo and tried it when we went to Aspen in 2011. Had to abandon mojo after 2 days as the belt split, stopping correct engagement of the rods. A manufacturing fault.

When we returned, a call to supplier (Edge & Wax) resulted with an immediate belt replacement. In the new year 2011/2012 she tried them again and found them very helpful with no major issues apart from connection of rods with belt popping out after the ski lift. Since then she upgraded the belt to the new mk3 version which fixed all belt problems. Used 5 times with no major issues. She now can't do without it, as they say, she has got her mojo back!

As a result, I also got my own mk3 version last Xmas and tried it out in Andorra. We were with a friend who also had a new mk3 mojo. We both had similar issues with how the mk3 connected to the boot - different mechanism from mk2. There Was a manufacturing fault, admitted by ski-mojo. I managed to keep mojo working for the week, using parts from my friends. I benefited not experiencing the usual thigh burn, despite doing no training!!! We now have replacement parts and spares, so hope trips to Tigne and Val Thorens will be a success.

In conclusion, yes it does work. You must get it fitted, E&W is the only outlet in UK that does this. When being fitted, do not accept until you are confident it won't pop off- our friend didn't do this, part of her issues in Andorra were down to incorrect fitting at the boot.
latest report
@Steveee, there was talk for a while of developing a pair of shorts, to improve the fitting of the Mojo. Have you seen any sign of this?

My OH once had a carbon rod broken by a chairlift. The jagged end pierced his calf slightly, and he was very careful getting off the top of the lift. We then had to stand to the side of the piste whilst I groped up the legs of his trousers for all the bits. Some people skiing passed look alarmed when I told them I was looking for my husband's mojo. Which I then had to carry home, as neither of us had a backpack.

The rod was quickly replaced.
snow report
Steveee wrote:
Hi, my wife stretched and the snapped her ACL a number of years ago. She bought the mk2 mojo and tried it when we went to Aspen in 2011. Had to abandon mojo after 2 days as the belt split, stopping correct engagement of the rods. A manufacturing fault.

When we returned, a call to supplier (Edge & Wax) resulted with an immediate belt replacement. In the new year 2011/2012 she tried them again and found them very helpful with no major issues apart from connection of rods with belt popping out after the ski lift. Since then she upgraded the belt to the new mk3 version which fixed all belt problems. Used 5 times with no major issues. She now can't do without it, as they say, she has got her mojo back!

As a result, I also got my own mk3 version last Xmas and tried it out in Andorra. We were with a friend who also had a new mk3 mojo. We both had similar issues with how the mk3 connected to the boot - different mechanism from mk2. There Was a manufacturing fault, admitted by ski-mojo. I managed to keep mojo working for the week, using parts from my friends. I benefited not experiencing the usual thigh burn, despite doing no training!!! We now have replacement parts and spares, so hope trips to Tigne and Val Thorens will be a success.

In conclusion, yes it does work. You must get it fitted, E&W is the only outlet in UK that does this. When being fitted, do not accept until you are confident it won't pop off- our friend didn't do this, part of her issues in Andorra were down to incorrect fitting at the boot.

afraid this is incorrect! we sell and fit the ski mojo here at Solutions 4 Feet
snow report
Any sign of the mojo "shorts" @CEM?
snow conditions
@CEM, do you?! That's useful to know if/when the time comes.
snow conditions
@pam w, shorts are not shelved, but will not be available for the foreseeable future, they are proving harder to manufacture due to sizes /body shapes then anyone had expected
ski holidays
Thanks, @CEM. We live in hope!
latest report
@poppyb, good luck with the 5:2 . Have a look at the thread about it in the Apres Zone - some helpful and inspirational posts there.
ski holidays
CEM wrote:

afraid this is incorrect! we sell and fit the ski mojo here at Solutions 4 Feet

Apologies, CEM when we started to look for Ski Mojo suppliers, the only one that came up was Edge & Wax. Good to hear there are other fitters around.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steveee wrote:

Just finishing a week skiing in Tignes and I am pleased to report that the fix I received for faulty mechanism has worked. Used the Ski Mojo every day this week with no issues Very Happy
snow report
What happens when you fall over wearing a ski mojo? (I'm a big fan of falling over as my two ruptured acl's can attest too!)
Can you wear a mojo with knee braces too?
Got first ever family ski holiday booked & paid for for 3 weeks time and knees are telling me no......
ski holidays
@Lizzypoo62, it's fine..you fall over and nothing happens. You might have to disengage them to get up. Yes you can wear them with knee braces. I use a fairly hefty ossur cti brace. It took a bit of fitting and I have to engage the mojo by pushing it into position by hand on that leg but it works
ski holidays
You do not need to have them fitted - this is nonsense. You can have the receiving socket permanently mounted on your boots if you want and it would undoubtedly be good to do so so it is properly aligned and so on, but I just screwed mine one by myself and flexed a few times/ walked around a bit to see if all was well and that was it. 3 years now with no changes. No issues using it, 2 or 3 minutes to put on in the morning and the difference between skiing and not skiing. Not a significant investment compared to that or the cost of a ski holiday.
snow report
@Jiggs62, agreed..I had mine fitted so they would go over the knee brace. I could have easily mounted the studs and adjusted the rods myself but not the faff with bending to accommodate the brace. The fitting was free so what's to lose if you can get to a shop.
snow report
Also there is a new fitting that pops onto the stud that is meant to overcone the rods popping off.
snow report
Thanks to both @holidayloverxx, and @Jiggs62 for helping a newbie. I'll be hiring boots etc so will have to use the clamps that I've seen - don't know if that means that I defo need a fitting appointment or not but I think I could do with the guidance. As Jiggs62 says the cost is not significant when compared to the holiday but its all a great deal of money, is there a second hand market for the mojo's? eBay is coming up blank for me....
snow report
Sure, nothing to lose if you're getting them fitted in a shop, but it honestly didn't take me long at all. I just lightly screwed the clamps to roughly where the poles hung down while wearing all the gear, popped the poles in to the socket and flexed the knee and then walked about a bit. The right pole rubbed against my calf to some extent so I moved that clamp round to the ankle side a cm or so more and that was that. Tightened the screws up and they haven't been changed since. Useful to know that if you are hiring boots - it's quick and easy to fit (maybe a bit of gaffer tape on the hire boots first to protect them from the screws, although hire boots do get bashed about anyway).
Re the poppers - I have those and have never had an issue with them popping out. My biggest problem is having a brain like a gold fish so I inevitably forget to switch the mojos off when getting on a ski lift and so go up the mountain with, ahem, turgid legs... or I forget to switch them on and then wonder why I'm skiing badly again until I remember. I do have them set at a very low assistance level though so it's not hard to forget.
I suspect you wouldn't have much luck on eBay due to a relatively small number of people having them so far and, like me, also not minded to get rid of them. Maybe a wanted ad on here? You do seem to get the occasional people who just can't get their head round wearing them or feel that their masculinity is somehow challenged by wearing a set Very Happy
Good luck either way
J
latest report
Well I've been convinced by all the snow heads & was just gulping at the extra cost then just like magic last night a 2015/6 silver mojo came up on eBay (worn once). I was putting in an offer, then I saw that there were 2 offers in already so I grabbed them at the £300 b.i.n. price. I've already got a friend who's asked if she can pay to borrow them too. Like you said, I'll be fitting them myself so fingers crossed it all goes ok and I can enjoy the benefits. Thanks again for the advice.
ski holidays
Point to note on the rod upgrade - the new stud is 1mm smaller than the old one so they are not interchangeable.
snow report
Congrats Lizzypoo - hopefully they will come with the fitting instructions in the bag - it may seem daunting when you first look at it, but it honestly isn't.

Good luck and I hope you find them helpful
ski holidays
thanks @Jiggs62 just waiting for it to arrive now - off to Les Gets, PDS in a couple of weeks. I will call for help if need be...... I am wondering though what the difference between the silver & gold mojo is? Does anyone know if it's just the springs or is the frame different too - essentially can I get a pair of the "gold" springs and then adjust my mojo for a heavier person to use? Very Happy Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy