Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UPDATE: trip to Engelberg - Day Trip Skiing (No, Really!) - 2days1night also acceptable

Poster: A snowHead
Ian Hopkinson suggested that I start this up and I thought it a good idea.

This thread is dedicated to Ray Zorro who on a particularly arduous journey to work one morning, had a barmy idea. No stranger to these but Ray knew this one wasn't just barmy light, it was so brilliantly barmful it had barmed itself out the barmiest barm tree and was already barming it's way down the garden path. It had to work! . Turns out it was a stroke of genius, a stunning success, and doing it at least once is set to become the single most important defining characteristic of the true snowHead in years to come Toofy Grin.

What's the idea?
1. Get a cheap flight leaving at 0630ish from nearby-ish airport. £35?
2. Arrive 0930ish at airport nearish ski resort
3. Transfer to ski resort arriving 1100ish. £20 per head for 2 people hiring a car?
4. (Park,) get skis, pass £25
5. Ski 1130ish to 1700ish or whenever the ski patrol catch you and make you leave (anywhere with night skiing?)
(5.5 Have well-deserved early dinner of local cuisine or corned beef sandwiches you brought along)
6. Leave 1900ish for airport
7. Arrive airport 2030ish for 2200ish flight
8. Arrive UK 2300ish
9. Look smug Toofy Grin at only spending £80 for almost a whole day's skiing (well 5 hours, anyway) in a foreign land for the loss of only one day of time despite needing to go home to concerned wife who thinks you've finally lost it Madeye-Smiley .
10. Continue to look smug Toofy Grin for rest of week, particulary when passing Milton Keynes NehNeh .

How?
1. Flights - which departure/destination combinations offer suitable flight times at a cheap price?
2. Which resorts best for these airports?
3. Transfer - usually hire car but any options?
4. Know the lay of the land so as not to waste too much time sorting things like parking, equipment hire and passes out.
(5. Which hotels/b&b may offer you a bed for one night? Could stay overnight and get a whole day’s skiing the next day before flight home!)

Flights:
I’ve looked at budget airlines serving London Stansted, Luton, Heathrow and Birmingham which offer an early departure and a latish return.
Easyjet offers Luton to Geneva, to Nice, to Basel, and also Stansted to Lyon
Ryanair offers Stansted to Bergamo/Milan (which was Ray’s choice), to Turin, to Salzburg
With the exception of Geneva, there are flights to all of these still reasonably priced for a day trip. I couldn’t find anything suitable from Birmingham. I also had a quick, not comprehensive, look at Southampton and Gatwick and didn’t find anything (I can’t believe there won’t be an option from Gatwick). Also couldn’t find useful flight timings to Berne, Chambery or Grenoble. I suspect Lyon’s a little too far from a resort.

Resorts:
All the answers are on J2Dave’s site. Top man, Dave, thanks. Very Happy

Help:
Please contribute all you can, esp re: other flight options up and down the country, as well as any experiences of the quick or otherwise transfers or any flexible cheap accommodation or other useful resort details which may affect the success of such a critically timed operation! snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 11-03-06 16:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
slikedges, awww, I've never had a thread dedicated to me before, thanks. Embarassed Embarassed

It does feel slightly like the Darwin awards though, you know where people are recognised primarily for their particularly stupid behaviour. Laughing

Best of luck with your venture though. snowHead

BTW, when you come to investigate resort options it would be worth finding out lift closing times, obviously the later the better. There may well not be a consistent approach between them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not quite daytrip skiing - but have in the past done weekends with 6 am (that's 5 am UK time of course, so up significantly earlier than that having stopped overnight near the airport) Monday morning flights back from Geneva to Luton and back in the office (fortunately only about 20 mins from the airport) on time. No days off, and two full days skiing! Beats the washed the car/dug the garden type answers when colleagues are talking about they did at the weekend!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, no, honestly, you deserve the credit wink snowHead

Good point re: lift closing times, better still daily night skiing. Apparently near Brno, Czech you can do this but the flight times there don't suit. Anyone know of anywhere else in Europe?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Done many LON-GVA Fri 20h00/Sun 18h40 trips. For me that works better as if the outbound on Friday gets cancelled then you can usually rebook on the saturday morning. Rather more irritating if you had to rebook onto sat eve from a sat AM flight.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a drag in Les Gets which used to open for night skiing if I remember rightly. And not far from Geneva so that might suit? Haven't been there for a few years though - so you'd need to get someone to confirm.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Crans Montana do night skiing...but I think it's only on a Friday night.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flights - you forgot to mention Stansted to Venice Treviso with Ryanair. Currently £4.99 each way for mid-April. 6.30am out of Stansted, 10.00pm return from Treviso. Treviso is two hours drive from the Dolomites / Sella Ronda (Araabba, Selva Gardena, Canazei, Alta Badia, Cortina etc.) - more extensive than Foppolo and only an extra 30 minutes drive.

Partly inspired by Ray I'm doing this trip 9- 12 April, but making 4 days skiing out of it (see my post below - still looking for accomplices!). However it could defintely still be done as a day trip.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flights:
Tuesday 21 February
Bournemouth to Geneva
flight 902; dep. Tue 21 Feb 11:30
arr. Tue 21 Feb 14:05
£10.24
(per person)

Thursday 23 February
Geneva to Bournemouth
flight 901; dep. Thu 23 Feb 10:25
arr. Thu 23 Feb 11:00
£10.99
(per person)
Cost of your selection
Airfare per adult or child £21.23
(per person)
Taxes and charges per adult or child £23.75
(per person)
Total amount due:
2 adults

£89.96

Stay at FORMULE 1 Annemasse £42/2 person 2nights

Car
Your choice - e.g. Smart
Basic price CHF 30.00
2 x 1 day for CHF 15.00 CHF 30.00
Road Tax CHF 7.00
Servicecharge CHF 5.09
Total Price CHF 42.09

Total £87/person +ski pass and a full days skiing in Chamonix/flaine

Now I've looked..............quite fancy it
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, is that easyjack? or City? Actually, now I think of it, you're the weekend (and mogul wink ) king aren't you? You probably know loads about driving into the resorts nearest Geneva and Turin etc and where to park, how to get on the slopes quickest and who will do you an odd night or two in season, am I right? Little Angel

Dave Burt, thanks for that, but I'm thinking because lifts tend to close at 1700, that extra half-hour is crucial. In fact, in the morning there is a very narrow (? 0630 - 0700) window of acceptable flight times and preferably only 1 hour transfer. A plane leaving 0630 would arrive 0930 and with 1 hour transfer, you reach resort 1100 and start to ski 1130. With a plane leaving 0700 you'd arrive 1000 and with a 2 hour transfer, reach resort 1230 and start to ski 1300. If there was night skiing, no problem, but otherwise 4 hours to 1700 isn't really worth it imho. snowHead

Slowplough, cheap Very Happy but uses 3 days Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, the Treviso flight lands at 9.25am. I think if you were familiar with routes and the resort, you could be on skis in Cortina by 11.45 and Arabba by 12.00. But you're right, it does make it less attractive as a day-trip option, which is why I'm staying overnight (3 nights in fact!).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know??
Which is quickest from Turin airport onto the slopes (ie drive time plus ease of negotiating roads, parking and getting to lifts)?
Bardonecchia
Sauze d'Oulx
Cesana Torinese
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sauze (according to my European Snow Atlas 2005). Sauze is straight down the A32, Bardonecchia is another few miles, and Cesana is a good few miles down a B road, turning off at Sauze.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, Yup!

I find if you book early (or even now...) Easy jet must be the most expensive airline on a friday/sunday trip into Geneva.

Great if you just want to do lunch on a Wednesday though.

My favourite destinations however are coloured by having family or friends living there - making weekend accom easy (which I think is the trickiest element). I can give you a few pointers in Morzine, Champoluc or Chamonix...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But, just checked on Via Michelein, and strangeley:

Sauze 86km 1h 11 mins
Bardonecchia 94km 1h 10mins
Cesana 91km 1h 10mins

Which is very strange, as the map shows Cesana as being passed Sauze!
snow report
David Murdoch,
Quote:

My favourite destinations however are coloured by having family or friends living there...

Can't you tell them you've got 3501 friends who might be popping over too?
snow conditions
this is what slikedges taught me - and it works. Woo hoo!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 11-01-06 22:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Dave Burt, Look at this. Seems to indicate Bardonecchia on the main road and Sauze and Cesana up smaller ones.
ski holidays
Dave Burt, snap. Prefer my url handling though NehNeh wink
latest report
Dave Burt, [ url = http:/ /without the spaces ]text text text[/url]
latest report
Yep, the minor roads, although short distances, must be tortuously slow (it's a good few years since I was in Sauze and don't remeber the approcah at all). So, it looks like it could be Bardonecchia by a whisker. Or shall we call it a draw? Anyway, all possibly reachable for a day trip using the Stansted flight arriving in Turin at 9.55. On skis by 11.30, or is that a bit optimistic?
snow report
slikedges,
From Turin I havent got the mileages but Bardonnechia is straight along a fast autoroute and easy to get to. Cesana is not far off the autoroute and I haven't driven to Sauze only skied accross to it is higher and an earlier turn than Cesana the road may be alittle slower.

In all honesty if the snow is in short supply you are probably better off driving the extra 15 minutes or so from Cesana up to Claviere /Montgenevre where the snow is often a lot better as it is on the top of the col and often peters out further East, you frequently cannot ski back to Cesana. Claviere is probably only 1hr 15 minutes brisk but not ridiculously fast drive from the airport.
snow conditions
Dave Burt, I'm afraid to think that you may be being optimistic there. You have to factor in the time it takes to get out of the plane, clear customs, pick up kit (if using plane hold), do paperwork for hire car and then find the car and get out of the airport. I did all that in 20 minutes on Saturday and was well pleased and didn't see how it could be shortened any quicker than that.

Unless you know the resort, you can also lose time at that end too. Finding parking, finding the hire shops, finding somewhere to change, buying a lift pass. You have to bear in mind that there may be queues at each of these places as well. I would have thought that with 1:10 travel time you would be looking at probably 12:30 at the earliest for the first lift up.
latest report
Dave Burt, as Ray Zorro (known on this thread as "who's the daddy?") says probably a tad optimistic but if a 1 hour transfer I'd like to think sliding at 1200 might be do-able as I'm going to bring my own skis/boots and Italian airports are known for their smooth efficiency ( Shocked wink well, I'm going to be positive about this). Very Happy

T Bar, any idea on the snow at Bardonecchia? Even 15min makes a difference in this game! wink but I'll bear in mind your comments on Montgenevre, thanks - no point going if won't get enough time, but definitely no point if no snow!! snowHead nb just looked at sauze snow thread - bad there now!

who's the daddy, 20 minutes is amazingly quick. I've decided I'm going to bring skis - hope I don't live to regret. Are you all packed and good to go?
ski holidays
slikedges,
from turin, what about Pila, 45 mins up the aosta valley, par fro free in aosta 18 mins in gondola up to skiing small resort but plenty for a day and easy road
snow report
slikedges,
Quote:

20 minutes is amazingly quick.
I still have slight twinge's of regret when I remember the two old ladies that fell down the stairs when I pushed by them getting off the plane, and I don't think I should have headbutted the customs officer when he delayed me - instinct just took over I guess. Not proud moments.

Actually, we were in the second row from the front, first out the door and away, again, tactical positioning comes into play and can save minutes. wink
latest report
CEM, I thought Pila was further Puzzled Have you done the journey/certain of the timings?

Ray Zorro, I'll wear my body armour and helmet on the plane Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
slikedges,
done it a couple of times, the trick is not to get lost coming out of the airport, but once no the road 45 -50 mins on a clear run prehaps 1hr if you hit traffic
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, Very Happy I'll investigate
snow report
We did 7.00 am flight to Turin a couple of years ago, and drove to Monetier-les-Bains, we arrived at 12.30 just too late to hire some skis for me. I reckon we could have been on the slopes at Claviere by midday but no earlier. I think it would take longer to get up to Sauze than to stop in Cesana, but there again the snow can be almost non-existant .
snow report
Can't remember exactly how long it took me but drive to Sauze is about 90 minutes and fairly straightforward (outside of rush hour - have you seen Italians drive). You pretty much drive past/through Turin but it's on a motorway and then it's very straightforward (I did it without a mapbook). I've got more info. at home and will post it tonight. From memory, on the way back, look out for 'Casselle' which is what the airport's known as.

I've also done it via public transport, which if you're going for a week would be cheaper and not that hard. Will post that info. too
ski holidays
CEM, Pila is 138km away but you're saying park in Aosta which is 120km away on motorway, so definitely worth a go if snow in Milky Way isn't good Very Happy
ski holidays
NickW, thanks, mate
latest report
Oops, found the info. and it all relates to public. See bottom of note, however, I have driven it too, see imm. below.

Once you get on the motorway it's very straightforward, as I said above, I did it without a map book. Getting onto the motorway was also pretty easy and well signed but can't remember the exact signs I followed. Think it was primarily signs for Oulx/Frejus Tunnel once on the motorway. On the way back you feel as though you've driven too far, as you pass Turin but stick with it until you see signs for Casselle and follow them to the airport. Took me about 90 mins but I did do it in a blizzard.

In Sauze there are two main car parks, if you turn right 'early' you can go to the top car park which is nearest the lift. If you follow the road to the T and turn right you'll hit the lower car park, just before the pedestrianised bit. The pedestrianised bit is controlled by a bollard during the day, approx. 9 till 5, which prevents you driving up to the top car park this way. Car parks are rammed if it's a weekend.

Flew with Ryanair from Stansted.

The below is a straight cut and paste from a mate's directions:

Assuming you are arriving at Torino Caselle airport, your options are these:

1. Caselle-Torino-Oulx-Sauze d'Oulx

To get the train, you need to get to Torino Porta Nuova station.
By coach (public, runs about once every half an hour) - Cost: €6.50 each, one way - Time: 40 mins
By Taxi - Cost: €30-35 one way - Time: 30 mins

Train to Oulx
First Class: €6.50 each, one way
Second Class: €4.30 each, one way
Runs about once every 90 minutes. Last train to Oulx at about 19:30. HOWEVER, last train to Oulx when the Oulx-Sauze-d'Oulx coach is running leaves at 18:00. Different times on sundays. Last coach/train to Torino leaves Sauze at 18:45.
Time: about 1 hour 15 minutes.

Coach Oulx-Sauze d'Oulx:
Cost: €1.25 each, one way. Get tickets from the station.
Time: 15 minutes
Coaches usually leave about 10-15 minutes after the train arrives, but will usually wait if the train is late.

2. Caselle-Sauze d'Oulx

Taxi:
Cost: about €125 each way. Could be negotiated if booked in advance.
Time: 1 hour 15 (depends on traffic). (have done it in 48 minutes, sticking to the speed limit. If the speed limit is 200kph.)

Hire Car
Cost: depends on car and time of year. Between €50 and €80 per day minimum, plus fuel (depends - maybe €50) and tolls (approx €15 each way).
latest report
NickW, excellent info, Nick! Very helpful stuff, thanks a lot. snowHead
snow report
Any of you who regularly drive the route will remember the nasty entrance onto the autostrada across the fast lane, this has now disappeared, and you enter it on the right like any normal European motorway.
ski holidays
Hi All,

Just thought I would hop on this thread, with the following trip we made a couple of years back:

Jet2 Leeds to Geneva depart 6am arrive GVA 9am picked up the car and got the first run in at exactly 11.10am (changing in the car parking at the Vernant car park) We then picked up the keys to our apartment at the end of the day and flew back on the monday night to birmingham having deposited the car at the airport on the friday afternoon and got the train back to leeds (I am lucky that I can engineer a work trip to suit this)

We flew back with "Duo" who were a full service business airline offering real china, hot food and free wine
all for £30 (suprise suprise they went bust a couple of months after our trip otherwise I would highly recommend them, no carriage charge either!)

The key I think is to go out of high season (this was the 19th of April and the later in the year the later the lifts stay open) and know the resort/route so you can hit the ground running. I love cooking up off the wall short breaks as cheap as possible, but i find the biggest problem is getting people to commit straightaway otherwise the moment is gone and all the prices go up.

Always fancied a flight to Nice (presumably lots of airlines go there) then up to Isola2000 anyone been?
ski holidays
wrongsideof30, thanks for your info, sounds do-able if you can get cheap flights to Geneva. There aren't any I can find from down south up till end March but I haven't looked at April yet.

Quote:

Always fancied a flight to Nice (presumably lots of airlines go there) then up to Isola2000 anyone been?

eEvans is effectively a local. He says 60min on a summer's day, and maybe allow up to 90min on a winter's. I'm considering it for later in the season!
snow conditions
slikedges, as extra to the info i sent you NickW has just added what i was going to say about the trains. If still interested in Turin as an airport:

Have used both options below

The best flights to Turin are Ryan Air if you the max time on the piste as they fly from Stanstead at about 1900 and return from Turin at about 1800. But it's Stanstead and therefore travel costs + parking can be expensive and travelling there can be a nightmare with the M25 - but depends on where you are........also get charged ski carriage at ~£15 each way

BA fly from Gatwick, slightly earlier going out than RYAN Air, I think about 1600. They also return slightly earlier as well about 1800. The flights may appear slightly more expensive but travelling there can be a lot easier. Also no ski carrige and also get some decent grub on the plane as well.

Sauze is ~1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours drive. Very easy, dual carriage way most of the way. Probably not even need chains but that's the gamble you take.

Courmayeur - again about 1 3/4 - 2 hours. Very easy drive, straight dual carriage way to the bottom of the village (as it's not very high!)

snowHead
ski holidays
slikedges, doneit for a stag weekend. Worked fine. (ISOLA I mean!). Auron might be a better bet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy