Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best boards for carving and a bit more

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

The priority is carving on piste but also want some playfulness for buttering and the odd lap of the park. Needs to be wide or mid-wide.

My current list is:

Rome Agent Rocker
K2 Carve Air
Salomon Super 8
Capita BSOD

I already have powder covered with a Fish so don't really need the taper or set back of the Salomon or Capita (some reviews make these sound worthy of consideration though). Thinking something with hybrid camber would work best.

Any thoughts or boards I should add to the list (or take off it)?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can stomach the graphic (I like it) then DOA over BSOD. You need to decide what profile you want - the Mod Rocker is a great board but the camber version would make a better carver.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Amplid UNW8. Best carving board I've ever ridden: http://www.amplid.com/detail/index/sArticle/1875

Used it last year for everything from carving to boardercross racing to park laps! Great kicker board. Lots of pop and snap for more playful stuff.

They've got last year's model going cheap if the 156 length suits you. Comes in a wide version too (163).

Why are you considering a rocker board for carving? Even hybrid is not really what you want. Full camber will carve much better and you can still have plenty fun on it (hell, we all rode nothing but full camber until a couple of years ago!).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick responses.

I am a fan of Capita, just bought my son a MicroScope. Not so sure about the DOA graphic but the performance is more important, I'll have a look at that one.

Had a look at the Amplid, it's a shame they don't do a wide shorter version than 163.

The Rome Agent Rocker is a bit of a confusing one, it's actually camber dominant and very similar to Mervin's C3BTX profile. It gets great reviews by The Good Ride and Angry Snowboarder for what that's worth and they make it sound like a good carver which springs out of the turns.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

great reviews

Never pay any attention to any snowboard review, anywhere, ever.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
^^ this.. If you like Capita how about NAS 160w ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It depends what you mean by "carving". I'd not personally consider anything made with glass (no race has been won on those old boards since abuot 2005...), but then I don't have a lot of interest in buttering. I don't know those boards.

You could look at what these guys are using: http://www.yawgoons.com/

--
They're right, snowboard reviews are almost completely useless. There are exceptions, but they're hard to find. You need someone who's not connected to any of the businesses concerned, but who also has access to a range of equipment in the right conditions to test it. Mostly I do (except Burton give me some free stuff...). But then the boards I like are most unlikely to be the boards you'd like.

It's like reviewing car seats: they're *all* suitable for sitting in, but you have to drive in them yourself before you know if any of them will give you back ache.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It depends what you mean by "carving". I'd not personally consider anything made with glass (no race has been won on those old boards since abuot 2005...), but then I don't have a lot of interest in buttering. I don't know those boards.

I really need to get a good shot on a proper carving stick at some point. I've messed around on some 90's relics and had a few runs on a Kessler SBX board last winter, but haven't had a chance to ride a proper, modern freecarve board. I'm not wearing ski boots though. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a (metal) Kessler SL you could borrow, but I don't think it'd work with Sorells. The SBX stuff sounds like a good compromise, although you don't probably want a real one unless you're actually doing that. I'm not sure if you can get metal in soft-boot boards, but it'll likely come in time, depending on riding fashion. There are plenty of days when my (hall of fame..) buddies won't ride the resort because "snowboards suck on hardpack", and on those days a good piste board is way better than skiing. Metal is a game changer: I nearly killed myself when I first switched to it, as I was going much faster than I felt, which only became apparent when I tried riding a decent bump field at that speed.

--
I note the point about rocker: I'd not bother with that either. Decambered noses, we all have them, but you need camber to make the transitions quick and easy. The stiffer the better for speed, but that will make buttering harder.

Two boards is the way to go though: one for powder, one for hard pack.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ChrisP3, I'd take out the Agent for carving mate, for playfulness, buttering and park its perfect. BSOD is on the right lines but its aggressive so no playfulness there. Maybe think about good edge hold rather than carving par se which will open up some different boards. Maybe the Agent (camber) version.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, thanks for all the advice guys. Not sure I'm any closer to a decision though, maybe even further away Puzzled

I've been through the Capita website and looked at every board. I just can't find THE one for me. Supermacho is maybe close but I think too stiff for my liking. I had a Ride Yukon a while back which was really stiff, not a bad board but you had to be doing mach 10 before it came to life and it certainly could not be described as playful! I may have been a bit light for it too. I have size 10.5 (UK) feet but weigh about 75kg.

Now riding with my family so need something that will be fun at more sedate speeds. I've had plenty of full camber boards having started riding back in the late 80s but fancied trying something with a more hybrid profile to add playfulness without losing too much carving ability. I like the idea of camber between the bindings with a bit of reverse camber at the tip and tail. Even though the Rome Agent Rocker was high on my list, I don't really get the benefits of rocker in the middle of the board and camber under the feet, maybe someone could explain?

I'm currently riding a 14/15 Salomon Villain fairly regularly at the local dry slope. I hit the boxes on occasion and straight air the kicker (spinning has lost it's appeal at my age). I certainly ain't no Louif Paradis. It seems OK with a mainly camber profile. I just feel there are boards better suited to me and my needs out there, it's just finding the right one! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow Hound wrote:
If you can stomach the graphic (I like it) then DOA over BSOD.

Having looked again, this may well be the best match Capita wise. Didn't think they did a specific wide but see they do in 155, 158 and 161. Also thought it was an extruded base but not so. Liking the profile and flex rating too.

I'll have a closer look at this one.

Cheers
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You might want to have a look at the Outsiders as well as the DOA, it's a bit more camber-y but still playful. Or the NAS if you want to go more aggressive.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

great reviews

I reckon this would make the Angry Snowboarder absolutely furious.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ChrisP3 wrote:
Even though the Rome Agent Rocker was high on my list, I don't really get the benefits of rocker in the middle of the board and camber under the feet, maybe someone could explain?

Thats precisely why its not good for carving. It gives it a loose feel which is fun and playful, good float in pow but isn't for hard charging or carving. Have a look at Yes. Basic or The Jackpot, they're both great but the Jackpot is slightly stiffer.
latest report
Snow Hound wrote:
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

great reviews

He's not so tough, he reckons the DOA is really aggressive, everyone else thinks it's playful!

Smile
snow conditions
Gainz wrote:
ChrisP3 wrote:
Even though the Rome Agent Rocker was high on my list, I don't really get the benefits of rocker in the middle of the board and camber under the feet, maybe someone could explain?

Thats precisely why its not good for carving. It gives it a loose feel which is fun and playful, good float in pow but isn't for hard charging or carving. Have a look at Yes. Basic or The Jackpot, they're both great but the Jackpot is slightly stiffer.

The Typo looks like it could be a good fit, slightly softer than the Jackpot and sintered unlike the extruded Basic. Any thoughts on "underbite"? Is it just a gimmick?
ski holidays
ChrisP3 wrote:
Snow Hound wrote:
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

great reviews

He's not so tough, he reckons the DOA is really aggressive, everyone else thinks it's playful!

Smile

....for an all mountain freestyle/park board. He's not comparing it to anything freeride orientated.
snow report
How many Brits can genuinely walk the walk when it comes to quality SB carving? It's a pretty top end skill which requires excellent technique and hours of on piste snowtime. My Daughter is a BASI SB instructor, she says that she rarely comes across a Brit who can carve to a high standard and that includes her assessors. Few snowboarders want to put the hours in on piste to acquire the skill.

Let's face it, most of us are weekend warriors to a greater or lesser extent. wink
snow report
There are a lot of Brits who can carve to a high standard, however most snowboarders (internationally) do not know what carving is and cannot do it. It's exactly the same with skiing, its not often I'm on the chairlift and wowed by anyones carving ability be that on skis on a board. It makes me smile when I do though.

ChrisP3 have a look at Donek or Coiler in the States, they can make you a custom board with metal, custom waist width and a camber profile to suit. Most modern race boards have rocker tip and tail with normal camber in the centre, so do be lead down the "it needs to be traditional camber for carving" route. Hell, if you have the cash contact Oxess.
snow report
willow 15 wrote:
..its not often I'm on the chairlift and wowed by anyones carving ability be that on skis on a board. It makes me smile when I do though.

Ditto.

I'd question the "lots" and offer a few however.

Cool
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
willow 15 wrote:
..its not often I'm on the chairlift and wowed by anyones carving ability be that on skis on a board. It makes me smile when I do though.

Ditto.

I'd question the "lots" and offer a few however.

Cool

True, but when you are a grumpy old git few is lots.

Also forgot to say my smile is even bigger when you see a telemarker carving fast.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
How many Brits can genuinely walk the walk when it comes to quality SB carving? It's a pretty top end skill which requires excellent technique and hours of on piste snowtime. My Daughter is a BASI SB instructor, she says that she rarely comes across a Brit who can carve to a high standard and that includes her assessors. Few snowboarders want to put the hours in on piste to acquire the skill.
Instructors teach beginners, which isn't really what you need to be doing with your slope time if you want to progress. The washed-up-professionals and racers I've ridden with can all carve circles.
latest report
willow 15 wrote:

Also forgot to say my smile is even bigger when you see a telemarker carving fast.

For sure.

Bumped into this https://www.livigno.eu/en/evento/La-Skieda_599 a couple of seasons ago. I was blown away with the speed and quality of tele carving.
snow conditions
So, I think something with camber for carving and a bit or rocker in the tip and tail to add some playfulness is going to be the way to go.

That's got me down to the Capita DOA and the Yes Typo. Both come in wide versions and are mid flexing according to the manufacturers.

I don't think I'd be disappointed with either but does anyone have any thoughts that could sway me? Maybe I should flip a coin. rolling eyes
snow report
@ChrisP3,

You appear pretty clued up as to your requirements of a board. You maybe the best placed to answer your own question.

How much snowboarding experience do you have? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Quote:

rarely comes across a Brit who can carve to a high standard and that includes her assessors

@Mollerski, that's a pretty bold statement. I'm a BASI instructor myself, currently trying to get my level 4 certification. All of the snowboard trainers I know can carve extremely well. If your daughter is level 1/2, she almost certainly hasn't seen the trainers perform at anywhere close to the level they're capable of. The step-up in performance from level 2 to level 3 is massive (and the gap between level 1 and 2 is pretty big as well).
latest report
I've got the new bsod and i wouldn't call it a full on carving deck it's actually quite soft and playful, if you want a quality carving deck one of my other snowbards is a dupraz d1 now that thing really can carve a line.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevomcd,

You're probably correct. My daughter was taught for several years by one particularly gifted Italian instructor in Selva (super cool, gaffer tapped boots, you know the type of guy.wink). Perhaps since Tommy, there are few who really cut the mustard in her eyes. She tends to admire good skiing, moreso than boarding.
latest report
@francium., what size is it and how much do you weigh? The BSOD is stiff though it is flat at the tip and tail with rocker in the tip too. I rode one a few years ago and it wasn't a 'playful' ride.
snow report
16/17 Yes Optimistic, Wow! It shall be mine Madeye-Smiley

snow conditions
Swoard Dual
http://youtube.com/v/F8TgInCpU9Q
ski holidays
@maddrifter, artist formerly known as splendid drifter?
latest report
sorry what stevomcd?

i'm fabrizio from italy, basi 1 going for 2 and into drifting scene also, hence the nickname!
ski holidays
Haha, sorry, used to know a guy on another snowboard forum with the login splendid.drifter. Thought you were the same guy!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy