Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sainte Foy Winter 2016

Poster: A snowHead
I skinned up almost to the top yesterday, so I thought I'd get the ball rolling!

Looking pretty good with another fortnight or so until opening day. Most of the pistes are groomed and looking ready to ski. The areas with snow-making (Combes, Arpettaz, Charmettes, Chapelles and the nursery slopes) are excellent, other areas cover is a little more variable, but should be ready with some grooming / snow-farming and hopefully a little more snow between now and opening day. We rode the Aiguille, Arpettaz and Savonnes pistes (that's the red off the top, the big wide red down the middle and the red option down the middle back to resort). All were in great condition, groomed and skiing really well. Some powder still hanging around up top but the highlight was the Arpettaz which had been well groomed and was in great condition.

Overall, we're not exactly suffering from an excess of the white stuff, but for early December I'll happily take it. Night and day compared to last year, absolutely no comparison whatsoever for all the doom-mongers out there who seem to think 2ft of settled snow on the ground this year is the same as green fields this time last year rolling eyes

Leaving resort (Charmettes piste):

Top of the first lift, looking up the Arpettaz:

Top of the second lift:

Top of the second, looking over towards the top of the Marquise:

We stopped here, not far short of the top (sun was going and it was getting COLD!):

Dropping in:

Snow up on the Aiguille was still pretty light in places:

Arpettaz had been groomed and was in great shape:

Middle red run back to base:

Nursery slopes:

More here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153078822801899.1073741873.16428646898&type=3[/url]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never in doubt with me , thanks for the confirmation Stevo . Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
looks great......as you say chalk and cheese to last year.

with a possible top up on 15th -17th....all will be primed for Saturday week

nice, can t wait
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks lovely, nice one!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looking good nice pics Very Happy can't wait until january.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wee bit of fresh snow last night, probably no more than 5cm ish at most on the hill, maybe 10cm in some flukey hollows. As a positive surprise though, at least some of it fell as snow (not rain) at resort level. Snow-line around the valley was about 1500m this morning and there was snow on the ground in resort when I was up there earlier. Disappearing from the tarmac pretty rapidly as soon as the sun came back out, but should stick at least somewhat better on the slopes. I got a few quick laps in up in Tignes and the pistes were pretty decent with the new snow.

Update from the resort is that they're expecting to open a good chunk of the mountain on Saturday as planned. Plan Bois, Arpettaz and Aiguille chairs will open, serving the Aiguille, Combes, Arpettaz, Chapelle, Cret Serru du Bas, Charmettaz and (I think) Savonnettaz runs. Marquise lift will stay closed for the time being.

Christmas week lift passes will be discounted - 6 days for the price of 5.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went up this afternoon for a few runs on opening day. Arpettaz, combes and the runs back to base are in good nick, although the snow was pretty firm and was bomb-proof first-thing by all accounts. Aiguille is great at the top, but the lower section is full of rocks. A temporary snow-cannon has been installed, but they'll have their work cut out keeping the run open. Nursery slopes are in good condition and there were lots of kids out having lessons (and sledging!).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I looked at your post the other day @stevomcd, and forgot to say thanks for posting the pictures. They have some decent reference for me as we visited this March for the first time, I'd driven through about six years ago with some mates but have so far been unable to convince them to go and stay for a week. Anyway I got fed up with that lot and came there with my family this year and we had such a good time that the kids have it top of their last for a return in 2016. It's a really nice ski domain and we only had one que for the lift up one morning as the lady running the chairlift insisted on all of us taking a turn to look through her solar eclipse filtered glasses to observe the event, how friendly, says a lot about ste foy.
Thanks for the updates.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any idea if they will be opening up Marquise Lift any time soon? Without that lift the number of runs is severely limited. The website says that 4/5 lifts are open but only 8km of piste is skiable??
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@darrenm, no chance of the Marquise opening until it snows.

At present, the Aiguille, Combes, Arpettaz, Chapelle, Charmettaz and Savonnaz are open (plus the bottom of Cret Serru du Bas to get back from Chapelle). Latest update from the ski patrol is that they are going to be working very hard to keep this amount of skiing available. They have installed additional snow cannons and are going to be "snow farming" (building mountains of snow, then transporting it to where it's needed) to get snow to places not covered by the snow-making system (e.g. bottom of the Aiguille and parts of Chapelle).

I was up late this afternoon and rode from top to bottom. Conditions are pretty tough, with some very icy areas and quite a few rocks around. I suspect the snow is best around lunchtime - when the sun has softened it a little and before the overnight snow-making gets scraped away.

Quote:

Without that lift the number of runs is severely limited.

That said, the resort was around for 17 years before that lift was installed and you'll still hear locals complain about it spoiling the off-piste! Marquise lift only really adds one run (Grande Soliet), two if you count the Fogliettaz red - I don't, it's far too new. It won't count for at least another 5 years.... wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @stevomcd, we come out this weekend. Fingers crossed for some snow next week. Otherwise, I suspect we will end up doing a couple of day trips to Tignes/Les Arcs.

The webcams never seem to show the snow makers on. Are they running them at night?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@darrenm, give me a call if you decide to come to Tignes (I assume you are who I think you are!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Of course @Maireadoconnor,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has to be said it's not a great deal of fun out there presently. Very icy and pistes hard as rock.

THe chapelle across were the blue, cret du serru du bas starts is absolute sheet ice..... Fortunately no turns required there as its a straight but even still not easy.

Snow desperately required but the resort is doing well to keep open what it has so far.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tomorrow the resort is heli'y in tons of snow to fill the few hundred metres of run between the natural and the manmade to offer top to bottom skiing in this small resort , hats of to them .

The Station of Sainte Foy puts the major means for its customers!
In this exceptional period of anticyclonic situation, and in order to accommodate the holidaymakers for the second instalment of the Christmas holidays in the best possible conditions for the practice of alpine skiing, the company of exploitation of the ski area (S.F.T.L.D.) Decided to put in place for exceptional methods.
Nearly 80 to 100 tons of snow are going to be "helicopter" tomorrow morning to strengthen the snow cover of the ski area of Sainte Foy Tarentaise!
The snow will be transported to the intermediate part of the track red of the needle (2200 M), Since The 2 careers in snow stored for this purpose, made in advance by the service of the slopes and located in the vicinity of the place said 'Cret Serru'.
Two mornings and two evenings will be required to offer good conditions of skiability on this part of the field devoid of snowmakers. During this operation, the slopes open needle and chapel, will be delayed. Thank you for your understanding.
Recall that the ski area of Sainte Foy by its exposure North-West has allowed an opening from 19 December through 100 000 m3 of snow production who came to strengthen the natural snowfall. The service of the slopes and tamping have optimized to maximum these resources, making available large and beautiful trails.
The Station Poster 45 cm at the foot of the field and 40 cm at the top of the area 2620 M. 5 TOTAL ON 6 ARE OPEN AND SERVE 9 tracks all levels. The Commercial Department has adapted to this exceptional situation and offers its customers 6 days of skiing for the price of 5 (and 7 DAYS FOR THE PRICE OF 6), The parking lot to the day is free.
Children and beginners find their happiness on tracks dedicated and toboggan run in front of snow to which access is free.
ski holidays
I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the helicopter thing. The snow is NOT being "helicoptered in". This is man-made snow which the resort has stock-piled and they are now using a heli to distribute it to places beyond the reach of the snow cannons. Much respect! Really great to see that a lot of this effort is being dedicated to keeping the Aiguille red open too - adding about 500m vert of tougher skiing, rather than focussing on mellower terrain.
snow conditions
About 20cm of fresh snow yesterday, vastly improved piste conditions today as you would expect! Looks like the resort got on it and groomed it all too, making sure it's all packed down.

The Aiguille chair didn't open due to avalanche risk, but they did get Creux de Formeian open for the first time this season (sketchy though!).

Marquise is a little behind, but the snowfall forecast for tonight should be enough to get it open (in my entirely guesstimated opinion!).
snow report
We will be there shortly and it was a relief to look at the webcams today and see the white stuff Smile
ski holidays
Hi - after much deliberation we're thinking of heading to St Foy in a few weeks (although Morzine and Megeve are still on our list). Looking at ski school for 3 mornings for our 12 year old daughter who is an intermediate skier - any idea if ski school still runs outside school holidays (a couple of years ago we went to Austria in Jan and they didn't have enough kids to make up a class).

Also the transfer would have to be to/from Geneva airport - looks like about 2 1/2 hours - is that the usual travel time or could it be much longer.

Finally an update on the conditions would be good if anybody is out there at the moment.

Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
From memory the bus/coach takes about 3hrs to Bourg depending on how many Gauloise he has at Moutier !!. My mate then picks me up Smile
snow report
Mad
latest report
ski school is open in january esf and a few others to choose from check out ste foy tourist information site web cams on there and info about ski schools etc.have a good one HB
snow report
@maltababy , went to St foy twice last year for the first time and loved it very family friendly resort and My daughter (age 9) was taught by EFS and is now a 3* from beginner with them.
We are back at on the 29th and she will be going to EFS for morning lessons then we have the rest of the day to play in the mountains , you can book on their website EFSsaintefoy.

First time we hired a car from lyon and was about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive but the traffic can get heavy through bourg at the busy times and wouldn't fancy it on bus transfer, If flying in my preference would be to hire or private transfer, also Plenty of parking around and the place we stayed had underground parking @ 50 euro for the week.

At the moment the snow is falling and I hope it continues, not been there in late jan early feb so can comment on the probable conditions.

Lunch on the slopes @ Les Marquises must….
snow report
@maltababy , went to St foy twice last year for the first time and loved it very family friendly resort and My daughter (age 9) was taught by EFS and is now a 3* from beginner with them.
We are back at on the 29th and she will be going to EFS for morning lessons then we have the rest of the day to play in the mountains , you can book on their website EFSsaintefoy.

First time we hired a car from lyon and was about a 2 1/2-3 hour drive but the traffic can get heavy through bourg at the busy times and wouldn't fancy it on bus transfer, If flying in my preference would be to hire or private transfer, also Plenty of parking around and the place we stayed had underground parking @ 50 euro for the week.

At the moment the snow is falling and I hope it continues, not been there in late jan early feb so can comment on the probable conditions.

Lunch on the slopes @ Les Marquises must….
ski holidays
have been going to ste foy for 12 years now, always had good snow conditions at the end of january same week every year.fingers crossed for this year,HB
ski holidays
so is dinner in Black Diamond...............had a really great meal there at Xmas.
latest report
@Noakes and @Huggiebear - thanks so much I think we are able to arrange private transfers with the accommodation we are looking at, all sounds fabulous thanks for your comments.
snow conditions
@maltababy, if you've not been there before I don't think you'll be disappointed, a really nice place to spend the week. We went with two children 9\12yrs in march this year, didn't use the ski school but they were out teaching every day which was outside UK holiday times.

Lovely skiing, friendly and good food, I'm under extreme pressure from my two to go back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@maltababy, very happy to quote for accom & transfer! Snowheads discount... Blush
snow conditions
Any pics of a widen piste towards marquise? Thanks a lot to those in the resort who can take and post i here snowHead
snow conditions
@stevomcd, On a map on your website I see also chalet col du mont, but it is not described in the list. I am thinking of gathering a bigger group next year so your challets looks like a good option Very Happy
ski holidays
@mooney058, it's about 3 times wider than it used to be. Only have summer pics of it right now, stuck in the house with a cold and an exam to study for...

We don't have Col du Mont any more, ditched it last year.
latest report
stevomcd wrote:
@mooney058, it's about 3 times wider than it used to be. Only have summer pics of it right now, stuck in the house with a cold and an exam to study for...

We don't have Col du Mont any more, ditched it last year.

Hope you cold will be gone soon! Thanks for the info on the piste. Have they kept the 180° bend (just before the wide section where several pistes converge) that used to be very narrow and a real bottleneck or have they went straight through the trees? When the snow was not so good, that particular section was not nice and a bottleneck with people and stones protruding in and next to this bend Smile
latest report
@mooney058, follows exactly the same path as before, just a lot wider. Doesn't stop you going straight down, of course... wink
ski holidays
@stevomcd, have not tried yet going straight down Smile but will do once I have a chance, if there are no natural obstacles for doing this of course Smile
latest report
Awesome day today! Deep powder everywhere! Only the first two lifts open, top lifts shut due to avalanche risk, but loads of trees to go at.

Snow is now light and cold all the way back to resort, enough fresh to only feel the base occasionally, and the base is soft (heavier, wetter snow) anyway. Had one of my best tree-riding days for a long time.

snow report
looks great out on the 23rd hope it lasts Smile
snow conditions
sooooOooooo jealous .......
ski holidays
They opened the top. That is all. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I know, I was on it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy