Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2015 / 16

Poster: A snowHead
Robin135 wrote:
I'm off to Niseko end of Jan and taking a few customers with me. Can anyone give me a few tips about what to expect there, I don't know what I'm asking cause i don't know how different/same it is to Europe/USA skiing.

DO we need a guide? Any tips greatly received for prior planing.
Are the rental Ski's good? Going to take boots only can't be troubled to take my K2 Apache raptors all the way but hope to hire some wide ski's there.

You're heading to Niseko with customers in approximately three weeks time and you're asking these questions. Is this a windup?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sharkymark,+,+ Have a nice trip and remember a lot of Japanese bath/onsen/rotenburo + Japanese food! Cool

And beware of that Walsh guy around there! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow wrote:
Robin135 wrote:
I'm off to Niseko end of Jan and taking a few customers with me. Can anyone give me a few tips about what to expect there, I don't know what I'm asking cause i don't know how different/same it is to Europe/USA skiing.

DO we need a guide? Any tips greatly received for prior planing.
Are the rental Ski's good? Going to take boots only can't be troubled to take my K2 Apache raptors all the way but hope to hire some wide ski's there.

You're heading to Niseko with customers in approximately three weeks time and you're asking these questions. Is this a windup?

Hopefully in a business, supplier/customer on a schmooze trip context. Not ski/travel guiding, surely!? (Although with some of the outfits that are operating, you can't be sure!)

If it's your first time there it'd be worth hiring a guide to show you some off piste spots. Probably be quite embarrassing with customers if you get lost or worse.

Wide range of hire skis in Hirafu so you should be well covered.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm optimistic for the start of my trip in Furano at the weekend, with winds coming from the W/NW and consistent snowfall showing on the forecast.

They seem to have had a lot more snow than last year, while Niseko and other resorts nearby have had less so far.

Ensembles stay cold (around -15C @ 850hPa) until the 13th, this time next week, then it's a bit of a mish mash but looks mostly pretty cold.

ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shrubbery currently looks very exposed in this photo from Niseko today:

http://s124.photobucket.com/user/CraigMel/media/image_zpsqkawgwzi.png.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TUESDAY 05 JANUARY 2016

25 cm in the past 24hrs at Kiroro

Uh-Oh, Love(locks) Comes to Town

http://youtube.com/v/4q8w6E6kbgI

First day skiing with the Lovelocks & Craig and it was deep.

Craig in PowderZone

Neil in PowderZone

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any recent experience flying LHR to Sapporo via Tokyo with an ABS kit ? BA out, BA codeshare JAL on the Tokyo Sapporo sector?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flying BA to Haneda in a couple of weeks - just rang them in advance - no issues, added onto our booking (but not actually traveled yet so can't confirm 100%!). We're then flying Peach to Sapporo but not contacted them yet - good reminder - thanks!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Hyst, he's back in Wales when we're out there...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sharkymark wrote:

Yes a short season this year. But it's been oh so sweet Smile

Hoping to head here 21-31 January.

http://www.skigeorgia.ge/gudauri/
http://www.gudauri.info/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sharkymark wrote:

Good you bring you own welsh then♨🍣🍡
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry - back to airbags. Anyone any experience of Peach internal flights? We're doing BA from Heathrow to Tokyo and no problems on that leg, all booked in. After a couple of days in Tokyo, we have internal flights with Peach airlines to Sapporo. I can't find anything on their website and they have no contact email address. The only phone number they give keeps cutting off! So basically no way of contacting them in advance and don't want to check in for the flight and have to chuck 2x carbon cylinders! Help!?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dashed, maybe try twitter @Peach_EN or kixcbs@flypeach.com
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@needles - thanks, have dropped them an email - see if I get a response
latest report
Hakuba, Nozawa Onsen or Myoko - anyone currently in resort? How are conditions? Should be there in a couple of weeks. Very Happy
latest report
FRIDAY 08 JANUARY 2016

19 cm in the past 24hrs at Kiroro

Back in the New York Groove

http://youtube.com/v/IVBQEhC-vJw

Deep, deep snow all over the mountain. Liz letting them run.

Fantastic.
latest report
4 working weeks till I'm out... want to be there now!
ski holidays
Same here snowHead
snow report
SATURDAY 09 JANUARY 2016

12 cm in the past 24hrs in the Niseko Resort Area

Another quiet day at Niseko Hanazono, with fresh tracks to be had all day.

Annie

http://youtube.com/v/Vs6D-Ag_9rs
snow conditions
I can only look on in envy as it buckets down with rain in Chamonix. You're keeping my stoke levels up, as usual, @Mike Pow snowHead
snow report
@Mike Pow, Are the pillows skied round/past, actually pillows, or just buried bushes?

I'll be out in Japan in mid Feb, just want to know what they are before I hit one Shocked
ski holidays
Sub_Zero_G wrote:
I can only look on in envy as it buckets down with rain in Chamonix. You're keeping my stoke levels up, as usual, @Mike Pow snowHead

My pleasure. The next week could be all time.
latest report
PowderAdict wrote:
@Mike Pow, Are the pillows skied round/past, actually pillows, or just buried bushes?

I'll be out in Japan in mid Feb, just want to know what they are before I hit one Shocked

Both. And tree stumps.

They're visible because it's a low tide season. Normally all that would be filled in and smooth.

By mid-Feb it should be.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

Both. And tree stumps.

They're visible because it's a low tide season. Normally all that would be filled in and smooth.

By mid-Feb it should be.

How much more do you think to fill it all in? *Gulp* - Niesko at end of Jan...
ski holidays
Are low tide seasons just during El Nino? I ask as I have been trying to decide when to visit Hokkaido in 2017. I thought it best to avoid Chinese New Year from 28th Jan for a week and also the Sapporo Snow Festival from the 5th Feb - 11th as I assume the area is very busy at these times and perhaps prices more expensive?

Then you also have the Asian Winter Games being held in Sapporo in 2017 from the 19th - 26th Feb so again I am assuming very busy and expensive at this time?

Which leaves me a window of the beginning/mid Jan or March and as I want to taste that deep deep Japow I am thinking to do from around the 10th Jan for at least 10 days boarding and then some travelling afterwards around Japan or just Tokyo, depending on a friends plans at the same time.

But now low tide years are coming into play? What should one do? Perhaps I am overthinking things...
snow conditions
First day in Furano and I'm very impressed with the quality and quantity of snow. It's been snowing all day.
ski holidays
@Minion1980, we're going in (a) a 'low tide' season and (b) during the Sapporo snow festival. I've squinted as hard as I can at Mike's movies and I can't quite make out any bare patches. Could be wrong though.

I strongly suspect we'll be absolutely fine - just book it! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1

Don't overthink it.
latest report
Since the missus and my normal skiing buddies aren't able to go this year, I'm looking to go solo for a week in mid/end February. Can anyone recommend any good resorts/accommodation for a person going alone where it's possible to hang out with other people and not just being cooped up in a hotel room after skiing which is at the same time affordable ?
I've looked a Niseko and Furano, but either everything is pretty much booked by now or prices are.....in the high end, not sure if this is just how it is in Japan.
snow report
Black Diamond Lodge

http://www.bdlodge.com/
latest report
SUNDAY 10 JANUARY 2016

A sunny and still start to Sunday on West Mtn. at Rusutsu.

That's why they call it a warm up run!

Stumble & Fall

http://youtube.com/v/4LFm_2iZv5A
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, Very Happy
snow report
WEDNESDAY 13 JANUARY 2016

25 cm in the past 24hrs in the Niseko Resort Area

Another glorious and quiet day at Niseko Hanazono with Liz and Annie.

'...coming at me through the trees'

http://youtube.com/v/jTuQwEKBl94

Annie

snow report
Great pics/vids, have some fab memories of Niseko - after Strawberry Fields having some lovely crab rahmen and beer at the bottom! Totempoles and bells!
snow conditions
ADESki wrote:
Great pics/vids, have some fab memories of Niseko - after Strawberry Fields having some lovely crab rahmen and beer at the bottom! Totempoles and bells!

Cheers.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 14-01-16 23:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I need to get back to Japan Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
No wind up. I was rather hoping for a more informed reply than that though. Yes quite right a schmoozing job not guiding my customers. I will ask someone else to do the guiding that was the point rather of trying to gain some information. I need to book a guide. Have been to Japan a number of times but not skiing.

Glad to see there is plenty of ski hire I guessed there would be but didn't find the right info so just asked.

Is there anyone who can recommend a good guide for a bit of Ski touring ? Are the guides mainly Japanese or Ozzies ?

Still interested also in a little color ...background
snow report
No wind up. I was rather hoping for a more informed reply than that though. Yes quite right a schmoozing job not guiding my customers. I will ask someone else to do the guiding that was the point rather of trying to gain some information. I need to book a guide. Have been to Japan a number of times but not skiing.

Glad to see there is plenty of ski hire I guessed there would be but didn't find the right info so just asked.

Is there anyone who can recommend a good guide for a bit of Ski touring ? Are the guides mainly Japanese or Ozzies ?

Still interested also in a little color ...background
latest report
Depends on your group's ability and budget.

Pro Peak
Black Diamond
White Room
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy