Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2015 / 16

Poster: A snowHead
We will split into two groups

one mainly on piste red runners beginning to explore backs and off piste (alpine)

The other group happily ski back of mont forte Verbier, Head wall etc Aspen

Budget ...not unlimited but you got to pay for what you want and you get what you pay for (most times)

thank you for your efforts...very kind
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pro Peak, formerly Shinestsu Mountain Guides.

Provide instuction and guiding services.

http://www.propeak.org/products/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
THURSDAY 14 JANUARY 2016

17 cm in the past 24hrs at Kiroro Resort

Liz, Graeme, Tim & Annie's last day at Kiroro for this trip, and it was a cracker.

Fresh powder, no wind and sunshine in the am, and filling in laps in the pm

Teenage Dirtbags Part I

http://youtube.com/v/MJ2Rr07IxVI

Teenage Dirtbags Part II

http://youtube.com/v/vlSWFiK8DNk

Annie in PowderZone

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
THURSDAY 14 JANUARY 2016 continued

17 cm in the past 24hrs at Kiroro Resort

Yours truly getting amongst it

Revival

http://youtube.com/v/cXddcm8xTqM
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FRIDAY 15 JANUARY 2016

27 cm in the past 24hrs in the Niseko Resort Area

Liz, Graeme, Jack, Tim & Annie's last day skiing for this trip, and with 27 cm of new snow it was an easy choice to drive around to Niseko Hanazono.

Liz

Tim

Jack

Graeme

Annie

Jack

Tim

Jack

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Epic!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Super! Amazing! I want to be there so bad.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Incredible - having a major life rethink after working my way through this thread!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks awesome Mike. Planning trip for next season I hope. Was thinking of a couple if weeks based at niseko, with the odd day trip away. Is there that much difference between the different bases in niseko in terms of snowfall on a day to day basis?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 19-01-16 23:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And why does it look so quiet - I understood Niseko was the busiest of the resorts?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Minion1980, Hanazono friday is my second guess Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 19-01-16 22:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Isn't Hanazono linked to Hirafu from the top? If so why does it remain quiet? Just trying to understand is all as I am planning on visiting next year and the downside I've heard about Niseko is it gets busy - yet Mike's lovely pictures tell a different story? Compared to a European resort that looks empty.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg wrote:
Looks awesome Mike. Planning trip for next season I hope. Was thinking of a couple if weeks based at niseko, with the odd day trip away. Is there that much difference between the different bases in niseko in terms of snowfall on a day to day basis?

Thanks all. Great conditions recently.

Base yourself at Niseko Hirafu for greatest choice of accommodation, food & retail.

If you don't rent a car then make the most of:

Free bus to other Niseko United base areas - Annupuri, Niseko Village, Hanazono
Free bus to Niseko Moiwa
Paid bus to Rusutsu
Paid bus to Kiroro

This winter the wind has been blowing lookers left to right at Niseko United, so more snow in Hanazono (far right) than Annupuri (far left).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Minion1980 wrote:
And why does it look so quiet - I understood Niseko was the busiest of the resorts?

It is, Grand Hirafu especially.

But when all the lifts are running and the backcountry gates are open then the mountain disperses people very quickly.

Plus a lot of returning visitors are getting in vans and exploring the nearby resorts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Minion1980 wrote:
Isn't Hanazono linked to Hirafu from the top? If so why does it remain quiet? Just trying to understand is all as I am planning on visiting next year and the downside I've heard about Niseko is it gets busy - yet Mike's lovely pictures tell a different story? Compared to a European resort that looks empty.

See above.

Grand Hirafu linked to Hanazono by:

Taking King Hooded Triple to practically the top of Hirafu and then skiing over to Hanazono.
Taking the Swinging Monkey chair 2/3 of the way up Hirafu and skiing across to Hanazono.
Taking the free bus from Hirafu and starting your day at Hanazono.

If you choose the third option then you'll have from 8.30 to 10.30 practically on our own before the crowd from Hirafu makes its way over. But to be fair Hanazono has been quiet all day the days I've been there. The restaurant is busier than the slopes.
latest report
element wrote:
Incredible - having a major life rethink after working my way through this thread!

Thanks.

I'm back home in Wales now. Short season. If you'd like to see what conditions are like season wide then have a look at these threads from previous winters.

SR : Shiribeshi Stories, Hokkaido 2012/13
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93446&highlight=mike+pow+hokkaido

SR : HokkaidOH! 2013/14
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104830&highlight=mike+pow+hokkaido

Hokkaido, Japan 2014/15 (shared with MagSeven so more Central Hokkaido info)
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112284&highlight=mike+pow+hokkaido
snow report
SATURDAY 16 JANUARY 2016

14 cm in the past 24hrs at Kiroro Resort

Got to ski with longtime ski partner and 'The Man With The Plan' at Kiroro, Ian MacKenzie.

Breathe

http://youtube.com/v/1y8l9vSrz08
snow report
Thanks for the answers guys and thanks again Mike for posting your pictures and videos, a shame you had to come home but it looks like you had a magnificent time.

Can I ask where do you stay in Kiroro when you are there? Are you renting a flat?
snow conditions
Last season I was in staff housing at Kiroro.

This short season I was in a private room in a shared house in the Niseko Hirafu Lower Village.
snow conditions
Oh I see, thanks for the information Mike.
snow report
Mike, a few daft questions ( about to embark next week on a 9 day Niseko Grand Hirafu trip):

Uk Mobile coverage/compatibility - I was last in Japan in 2002 and it was a nightmare then, I m guessing it is mainly sorted ...but?

Chairs & rucksacks: I have a choice between a low profile EVOC ba and thicker Ortovox bag - will the lifties make me take my bag off on chairs as they do in some resorts in France in which case the thinner one night be better to avoid faff?

Layers : I usually get away with base, mid and shell with a primaloft 60 gram waistcoat or hoody in my bag which in dec/jan usually get deployed post lunch in c - 2 to -5. I'm assuming I ll start the day wearing one or other with a down (uniqlo) hoody as back up. I always ski with a bag which counts as a layer in itself. Does that sound about right?

Are you back for the Brecon season??
snow conditions
mishmash wrote:
Mike, a few daft questions ( about to embark next week on a 9 day Niseko Grand Hirafu trip):

Uk Mobile coverage/compatibility - I was last in Japan in 2002 and it was a nightmare then, I m guessing it is mainly sorted ...but?

I'm on the O2 network with Giff Gaff and my UK phone works fine.

Quote:
Chairs & rucksacks: I have a choice between a low profile EVOC ba and thicker Ortovox bag - will the lifties make me take my bag off on chairs as they do in some resorts in France in which case the thinner one night be better to avoid faff?

Some may ask you to remove the larger pack.

Quote:
Layers : I usually get away with base, mid and shell with a primaloft 60 gram waistcoat or hoody in my bag which in dec/jan usually get deployed post lunch in c - 2 to -5. I'm assuming I ll start the day wearing one or other with a down (uniqlo) hoody as back up. I always ski with a bag which counts as a layer in itself. Does that sound about right?

I normally ski with base t-shirt, base long sleeve shirt, primaloft vest, shell.

This season I had to swap the vest for a down jacket. It's been between -15 and -20 C most days.

Quote:
Are you back for the Brecon season??

Yes. Was hoping to make turns yesterday, but the rain and mist had got at it Sad

Will be checking daily and hitting it any chance I can.

But not until February.

Just booked 9-day trip to Gudauri, Georgia with Nerys.

It's snowing and we're going Smile

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Gudauri/6day/top

http://www.gudauri.info/

Leaving Friday early Smile
ski holidays
thank you for the excellent reply and best wishes for a top trip! Stay safe and I look forward to a mouth watering trip report - I suspected Sennybridge could not contain you...
latest report
@Mike Pow, I might get the bus on my own to Kiroro on Saturday (my last day, friends will have left). Is there any easy to access / relatively safe unpisted skiing along the lines of Niseko strawberry fields or mizuno no sawa there? Not looking to go too far from pistes as I'll be alone, but if there's no real potential for fresh tracks I'll probably not bother.
latest report
One large area off the Nagamine 2 lift.

Two runs off Center lift.

PowderZone accessed from the Gondola.

Asari runs from the top of the Gondola.

Plenty Happy
snow report
SUNDAY 17 JANUARY 2016

0 cm in the past 24hrs at Kiroro Resort

Another fantastic day with Ian.

My last day skiing on Fantasy Island for this winter and Kiroro delivered again.

Sunshine, no wind, and powder all day.

2-4-6-8

http://youtube.com/v/_uTnxRA2Ags

Ian

snow report
MONDAY 18 JANUARY 2016

Well that's a wrap.

A short but very sweet season on Fantasy Island.

37 days on snow, 641 cm of snow at Kiroro Resort in my 47 days on the island and it's supposed to be the worst season in almost two decades.

Massive improvement from all my students, and John one trip closer to skiing at 90!

Thanks to everyone who made my time so enjoyable.

And I got to ski the deepest snow of my life last weekend. Here's a taste of the day.

Gimme All Your Love

http://youtube.com/v/BlnjZEcBWgg

Hope everyone who's on Fantasy Island / is visiting Fantasy Island this winter is as lucky as I've been.
snow report
Looks like a snorkel would have come in handy in that last vid!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Minion1980 wrote:
Looks like a snorkel would have come in handy in that last vid!

More out of breath from holding my breath than skiing Smile
latest report
Extraordinary!
ski holidays
Fantastic stuff. Must be a pretty good season, none of those bamboo like plants showing.
snow report
@Mike Pow, Thanks, had a great time lapping the area in between the gondola and Asari runs (could be accessed without ducking any ropes). Surprisingly little competition too considering how busy the resort was that day.
snow report
musehead wrote:
@Mike Pow, Thanks, had a great time lapping the area in between the gondola and Asari runs (could be accessed without ducking any ropes). Surprisingly little competition too considering how busy the resort was that day.

Excellent. My pleasure
ski holidays
Thanks for the reports Mike.

I'll be in Japan in a bit over 3 weeks. Myoko first then Niseko. I've been wanting to ski in Hokkaido for ages so I'm pretty excited Very Happy
latest report
Raven wrote:
Thanks for the reports Mike.

I'll be in Japan in a bit over 3 weeks. Myoko first then Niseko. I've been wanting to ski in Hokkaido for ages so I'm pretty excited Very Happy

Glad you liked them.

Have a great trip.

To those on or heading to Japan please add to this thread and keep the good times rolling Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

And I got to ski the deepest snow of my life last weekend. Here's a taste of the day

WOW!

I'm out in T minus 2 weeks. Can. Not. Wait.
ski holidays
Here's a bit of a different (still ultra positive) take on Japan.

Guides I know have been going there for a good ten plus years hooking up with one of the few Japanese mountain guides, Hiro, who I've only ever met in the Arctic!

This article was written by the wife of a Swedish La Grave guide we know well who has lived in LG for over 15 years and this was her first trip to JapPow.

And this was the feedback from a mate who's been going ever further away from the resorts in Northern Japan.

JoJo's article was exactly what I’d expect a seasoned traveler/experienced skier to say. Several places really gone Western: Aussie, Yank, Brit esp Niseko, Hakuba but remember on my trip:

“By Day 7 of a ski tour in N Honshu - no resorts or operational lifts- and seen only 18 other skiers/ climbers.... and 14 of those were in one day. Spent 2 nights in ryokan where they'd never had any Western guests until 3 Swedes, 1 Finn , 1 Chilean and Jamie and I turned up!!”

Hiro and Stefan are constantly looking for unexplored areas of which there are many.

Also over 600 resorts (50% more than France) but with an ageing population many not sustainable so have closed and hills returned to nature ! How v un-Alp like

What Jojo didn’t mention, may be because in their own group, but the people, despite vast language and cultural differences are some of the most pleasant (and fun) you’ll ever encounter…..
snow conditions
Well in 3 days time I'll be able to give this thread my own take on it snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Enjoy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy