Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Snowboard L1 @ Cairngorm Mountain w/c 4th Jan, seeking accommodation/buddies :)

Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post in but I am taking my BASI Level 1 Snowboard at Cairngorm Mountain w/c 4th Jan 2016.

I tried posting on the BASI Facebook group... but it is pretty dead.

Hoping to find out some recommendations for places to stay and some buddies to board with (I may be there on the weekend before and after the course). Even better would be to find any of the other folks who are doing the course too. Hope I am not asking too much!

I am currently looking at Airbnb, recommendations on the BASI location page (https://www.basi.org.uk/content/cairngorm.aspx) and hostels - but any ++/-- recommendations greatly appreciated. Would be cool to stay somewhere that is popular with other snowheads.

Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try Aviemore backpackers or there is Cairngorm lodge and Aviemore youth hostels, you don't have to be a member you can pay day rate. Or glenmore lodge is outdoor activity base. There are also lots of bnbs try Cairngorm national park website. Do you have a car as this might mean you need to stay in Aviemore or in bus route. It should be quiet then as new year revellers will be home by then
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @speachmaus - I'll have a google of those places.

I *may* have a car as I imagine it will make life easier - just worried that if the snow/weather is too bad, I won't be able to drive... does it ever get that bad?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can the people organising the basi not recommend somewhere to stay? There will probably be others doing same and would make scence to stay together
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's a few on their website, that link I provided and they recommended I post on their Facebook page but there is very little activity. I may ask them to forward my details to other course members should they like to get in touch.

Thanks Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep it would be better if you were all together. I just looked at you link and as long as you are on the bus route between Aviemore and Cairngorm you wouldn't need a car is there are regular buses. It depends if you want to be in town or nearer mountain too. Aviemore has good pubs and eateries but if your in like of Cairngorm or glenmore lodge you can cook for yourself and shop or sometimes they cater for a few quid extra, check their websites
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all your advice, it is super helpful.

I emailed BASI to ask them to send my contacts to the other attendees and some have got in touch which is ace so going to team up.

Will post back outcome to be helpful to others in future.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not doing the L1 but have stayed in the Youth Hostel in Aviemore and it was pretty nice and generally full of friendly people
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey folks,

Managed to get in touch with a few folks - BASI passed on my details.

Opted to stay in the Aviemore Youth Hostel.

Fingers crossed for some snow dumps
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@iamkeir, good you got sorted. There should be some snow over the next week or so but I'm not sure if it will be enough. The good thing about Cairngorm is that right on top of the mountain there is a natural bowl (Ptarmigan) which gets and hold snow first but it's very exposed. Good luck
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Smile

Yeah, will just have to hope for the best. It'll be on a dry slope nearby if not.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
iamkeir wrote:
Thanks Smile

Yeah, will just have to hope for the best. It'll be on a dry slope nearby if not.

I'd prepare yourself for a dry slope. No snow at all and not enough will fall.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The ptarmigan is good to go but high winds today they are hoping to open tomorrow. Have a look on Cairngorm mountain Facebook page for regular updates.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The ptarmigan is good to go but high winds today they are hoping to open tomorrow. Have a look on Cairngorm mountain Facebook page for regular updates.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just thought I would follow up and say had a great trip. No snow during the week of the course, so we did it on a dry slope (boo) but then it snowed and opened on the Saturday after I passed the course, so a bluebird powder day was my reward! The off piste was immense.

Yeah, the Facebook page for Cairngorm Mountain is really well managed - lots of updates and really accurate. Hats off to their hard work.

I met some other boarders through the course and stayed in the Aviemore Youth Hostel which was far nicer than I was expecting for a hostel - better than some hotels I've stayed in!

Definitely going to try and head back up in Feb/March if the snow is good, and try some of the other resorts too.

Thanks for all the advice/tips.
snow conditions
@iamkeir, well done. Shame you had to use dry slope but glad you enjoyed some snow after.
I've stayed in hostel loads of times and it's great.
I'm hoping to grab a day in Gkencoe in March I've never skied there. Last time I tried there was a huge storm that blocked all the roads, when I eventually got there the next day the place was closed as storm damaged lifts so I went to Nevis range instead. I've done the rest plenty as I come from east coast it's easier for me to do Cairngorm, Lecht and Glenshee. But I've even mostly skiing abroad lately but need to ski at home now.
Good luck with your instructing
ski holidays
Thanks Smile well met various folk on the course who board all around and lots of offers to kip on sofas so I guess I'll keep an eye on the snow and zip up when it looks good.

Which do you prefer out of Cairngorms, Lecht and Glenshee? And how was the Nevis range? May need a new topic...
snow conditions
They are all different. Cairngorm and Glenshee are bigger areas and more varied. I learned to ski in Cairngorm so I guess because I know it better it would be my favourite and Aviemore is a nice town and would be easier for public transport as Glenshee and Lecht are more remote. There are not so many places to stay near them either if you want to stay over.
It also depends on conditions and the weather. http://www.mwis.org.uk/
Is good for mountain forecasts and http://www.winterhighland.info/
For webcams as well as Facebook pages are great for deciding where to go.
Also if you can go midweek it is so much quieter.
Don't rule out the Lecht though, it often has snow when other areas don't. It's smaller but still great for a day but you really need a car to go there.
snow conditions
Thanks so much - your wisdom is invaluable! I'm heading back up to Scotland in Feb/March for sure, especially going to try and hit up the Groove Cairngorm event - I am also a breakdancer and Grandmaster Flash is playing!!
ski holidays
That sounds great. I see Cuban brothers are playing. They are amazing I saw them at Snowbombing last year. You'll need to try n catch them. That's the weekend I come crack from Austria. I was thinking about going to glencoe on the Monday 13th if conditions are ok.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy