Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What layers do your kids wear?

Poster: A snowHead
It's been 11 years since we skied and have never taken children. We are off to morillon for new year week with our kids aged 7 and 9. What layers should I plan for?? I want them warm but also able to move! Very Happy

I realise it obviously depends on the weather but generally what do you think?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get down to Aldi quick and buy some of their base layers! Also good deals on jackets and trousers for people that size, you may have to visit a few branches to find what you want as the sale started this morning and has been heavily advertised, heard in on the radio twice over a 20 min trip in the car!
Decathlon are a good source of fleece jumpers, the £2.50 and £4.99 ones are what my lot use.
As to what your kids need it really depends on them and how hot/cold they run when doing exercise, my 16 year old will wear just an Aldi merino tshirt then her Westbeach padded jacket and insulated trousers on days when her 11 year old sister wears thermal top and bottom, a pair of ski tights she has (tights with foot padded like ski socks) insulated trousers a fleece jumper or two then her jacket, of the two its the 11 year old who will probably be putting most work in as well! The key thing is a few thin layers give a lot more flexibility than a couple of thick ones.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As @davkt, says, layers are the key. Decathlon do some great layering options. We use their cheap running leggings over base layers (and under salopettes) when it's really cold, but any old pair of leggings will do. Don't forget glove liners and buffs for their faces. You probably won't need most it but it's much easier to take off kit if you are too warm...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Base layer, fleece, coat..... Simples
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No.1 son (10) wears, on his top half, base layer, fleece and decent quality water & wind proof shell jacket. He quite often opens the underarm zips if he gets too warm. No.2 son (4) wears a base layer, fleece, soft shell jacket and shell jacket. He's not quite as speedy and likes to stop more often than the eldest!

Good gloves, neck buff (everyday) and face mask on very cold/snow days are also a must.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends a lot what they're doing. Skiing needs more layers than toboganning. My grandchildren spend the whole week in their thermals, then just put more or less stuff on top when they go out.

Gloves get wet and soggy - good to have several pairs.

I really don't like seeing kids with scarfs knotted round their necks. A fleece neckwarmer much better (cheap buffs in Aldi too - I bought a couple today, £2.99 each).

Snow boots cheap in Aldi today, too. There were no kids goggles in our local Aldi, or I'd have bought a few of those.

Cheap thermals online in Sports Direct if Aldi has run out.

All my lot rent skis, boots and helmets.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@katedenhaag, mine are too cold in that - 4 layers (including ski jacket) plus a back protector is a minimum and they ski quite hard so I think that everyone is different. @breeze11, I would suggest that you get some base layers, use what you can from their existing wardrobe and be prepared to take off/ put on kit until you've worked out how they cope with the conditions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Really? Mine are twigs but I wouldn't ever dress them in more than I would wear myself.... And if it is -15 they will need to stop for hot choc more often whatever they are wearing! However many layers you send them out in have enough room in your back for them to take one off... And an extra one in your bag for them to put on..... Covers most eventualities
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ours of 4 & 8 - usually just a base layer and mid and insulated jacket with neck warmer on top and salopettes usually without any layering underneath.

Two pairs of gloves are a good idea.

And helmets as apart from mechanical protection keep heads warm.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Base layer, fleece layer, one piece insulated suits or insulated jackets and salopettes. Ours (7 & 9) also wear merino balaclavas under their helmets with a neck buff. I'll admit an interest in supplying all of their kit!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My 8 year old wears Campri base layers bought from Sports Direct (he says they feel very nice against his skin) for about £2.99 an item. If it is not too cold he'll then wear a Trespass micro fleece and his Columbia ski jacket. If it is very cold he wears a cotton polo neck from Mountain Warehouse between the base layer and micro fleece. Add a back protector in to the equation and he has a lot of insulation. Last year he complained his legs were too warm with LJs under his Columbia salopettes. He has an Airhole Helmet liner/neck warmer that he alternates with a combined fleecy buff with an attached thin helmet liner. He often finishes a days skiing a sweaty mess. Very Happy Very Happy

I think you will find it is trial and error as all kids are different.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mine (8 & 11) are normally too hot in a Decathlon/Lidl/Aldi base layers (top & bottom), jacket/salopettes. The only thing they get cold is hands so I bought them some cheap silk inner gloves from Amazon.

Spare gloves are a must.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you have the kids in salopettes that are overall style, don't stick layers over the top of them that don't zip down the front/come off easily. From experience, there is nothing worse than taking a desperate kid to the loo to find you have to strip off several layers of jumpers (as well as taking the jacket off) to get the salopettes down! Needless to say I said something when the parents came to pick the kid up aft the lesson...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Decathlon does cheap silk glove liners, about a fiver a pair/
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Minimum (sunny Easter skiing): salopettes (the spyder ones with a built in fleece bodywarmer), thermal, thin mitts.

Maximum (when its -15C and blowing a gale and they're at 3000m): fleece leggings, spyder salopettes, thermal top, thin fleece, thick fleece, insulated shell, silk liners, insulated mitts, buff, chemical handwarmers in gloves and footwarmers in boots!

Take your pick anywhere on that spectrum...
ski holidays
One thing with gloves and small kids - don't. Go for mitts - If you wrestle with them trying to get 5 fingers in 5 fingerholes in the glove liner then repeat the process with the outers, remember that they WILL take them off themselves, probably while in the middle of a lesson and then be expected to put them back on too. Go for mitt liners and mitts.

Also, what @Sitter says about layers and needing a wee. NOTHING mortifies a kid who's been perfectly bathroom trained for years than having a pee accident when they can't get their kit off fast enough - and ski boots hold A LOT of pee.

For reference the Sideways Jnrs are 6 and 4.
snow report
Quote:

Base layer, fleece, coat..... Simples

yeah this but for our kids its generally not a thick fleece AND a highly insulated jacket. thin fleece plus padded jacket or thin fleece, heavier fleece and shell

Quote:

One thing with gloves and small kids - don't. Go for mitts - If you wrestle with them trying to get 5 fingers in 5 fingerholes in the glove liner then repeat the process with the outers, remember that they WILL take them off themselves, probably while in the middle of a lesson and then be expected to put them back on too. Go for mitt liners and mitts.

true for small kids but yours are 7 and 9. They are going to be on drag lifts very quickly and mitts/small hands are a problem for grabbing the poma poles. You need gloves and pay attention to the palms/fingers that they have a bit of grip. Learned by error!
snow conditions
@Richard_Sideways, +1 for mitts. I eventually had 4 pairs for Oscar when we went away. 2 x Tog 24 Gore-Tex (sadly don't appear to be made anymore) and 2 x Barts. The former were the 'go to' glove each day with the Barts as back-up. He has now outgrown all 4 sets (he can get the Tog24s on with a lot of effort) and have been replaced by 2 pairs of Hestra Lobster mitts.
ski holidays
@jedster, Ours were on drags with mitts no problem last season and that was at 3 & 5 then...

@Gaza, what size are those outgrown mitts? I'll give them a new home if there is any life left in then and they're the right size - Short of stapling them to the kids directly we always end up losing pairs...
latest report
Sorry @Richard_Sideways, can't help you as they are being handed down to my niece and nephew.

I've bought a couple of sets of these Hestra Handcuffs and looped then round bits of the mitts. I've even put them on his Leki Gore Tex race gloves as at £85 I didn't want him losing those!
latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

true for small kids but yours are 7 and 9. They are going to be on drag lifts very quickly and mitts/small hands are a problem for grabbing the poma poles. You need gloves and pay attention to the palms/fingers that they have a bit of grip. Learned by error!

I disagree@jedster. My son has manged with mitts no problem on the drags at Hillend and Braehead. I'd say that 95% of the under 10s kids at Hillend are in mitts and they manage the drags no problem. The biggest problem is ill fitting gloves or mitts. If they are too big they ca't grab anything Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

@jedster, Ours were on drags with mitts no problem last season and that was at 3 & 5 then...

did they have ski poles as well? if not you grab with two mitts and it's easier. The difficulty is holding poles in one mitt and grabbing the poma pole with another small mitt
We were specifically told by their instructor to make a change.

Quote:

Hillend and Braehead

Aren't they dry slopes? Its when everything gets frosty that it's harder to grip
Very Happy
ski holidays
I agree mitts for small kids. As for bigger ones, I use mitts 99% of the time because they are warmer. I have no problem gripping my poles.
latest report
@jedster, The older one had poles, younger didn't - poles were never a problem for him when on Pomas.
snow report
Base layer top and bottom,fleece,ski jacket and salopettes. Neck gator is an absolute must and the skeleton ones are very aesthetically popular with mine. Even when 14 and 13 they would wear it up to the nose and over the ears, then helmet and goggles. Not a speck of flesh to be seen, even at zero/+ with a clear blue sky! For the hands I managed to get hold of some "SnowStoppers gloves" http://www.verandaoutdoors.com/ but they seem very expensive in this country now. Worth hunting for some as whether you buy mitts or gloves kids always seem to show flesh on the wrist

Failing them I would go mitts over gloves for all the reasons given above and would counter the grabbing bar statement with, as far as I can remember, the assistant at the bottom of the lifts,without fail, will grab and position the bar for all kids if they are not riding with an adult

Also, no one has mentioned feet. Decent socks and make sure the boots are not too tight or you wear 2 pairs to "make you warmer". The cutting of circulation will make their feet colder

A +1 for Decathlon for bases and fleeces and also worth taking a look in TKMAX
ski holidays
My 11 year old has used mitts from her very first lesson 6 years ago. Pomas, rope tows with poles and without Tamworth fridge and all over the mountains and has always coped fine. She would be very quick to demand new kit if she thought something was making things more difficult than they needed to be so guess it depends on the kid.
latest report
Actually

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006DYTD28/ref=s9_simh_gw_p193_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-2&pf_rd_r=0JPTS5Q921J1ZTZD91GS&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=577049067&pf_rd_i=desktop&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
Thank you all! Excellent advice as usual.

Based on your answers, I think I have everything covered appart from spare gloves/mittens. I will pick up some more this weekend. I'm very tempted by those snow stopper ones posted.

Thanks all! X
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Snowstopper gloves/mittens may look good, but they also look like they'd be a pain to put on, particularly by the kids themselves (eg after a toilet stop). I use (for myself) long gloves - winter mountaineering style - which come up a similar distance on the outside of the jacket. We generally managed to find similar for our son. Another thing with this type of glove is that they generally have a 'leash' type arrangement around the wrist so don't fall off while being fiddled with on lifts etc. (although you need to be careful not to swing them in the flow/sinks etc at those toilet stops!) The fact that I wore that style made it easier to persuade him, once he stopped us putting them on string through his sleeves.
ski holidays
Quote:

so guess it depends on the kid

and the mitts too probably - depending on how grippy they are
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Quote:

so guess it depends on the kid

and the mitts too probably - depending on how grippy they are

No different to gloves then! Buy rubbish that doesn't fit right and the kid will have cold wet hands and no grip with either gloves or mitts
snow conditions
Junior has Nevica gloves (small mens). They are pretty good for the money, usually being massively discounted from the ridiculous RRP.
snow conditions
@rachelharrisonsmith, @Gaza, Can you recommend a particular back protector?
ski holidays
...make sure your kids gloves have clips to take wrist leashes . . .alternatively def try the glove retainer cords - Manbi Glove Glue . . .essential!
snow report
Quote:

Buy rubbish that doesn't fit right and the kid will have cold wet hands and no grip with either gloves or mitts

true but I was more thinking about palm materials etc. All that said I don't think you can argue that mitts aren't something of a compromise on dexterity!
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't think you can argue that mitts aren't something of a compromise on dexterity!

of course they are, and if I had to do something requiring dexterity I wouldn't wear them. for snow chains, for example, even gloves compromise my dexterity too much. But gripping a pair of ski poles?

4 year olds often seem to struggle even getting the thumb in the right place with mitts - even nice mitts with a zip to make it easier.
ski holidays
@breeze11, Dewold baselayer + good fleece+ balaclava + helmet and good quality mittens (Hestra), and when it gets really cold (minus 20 + wind) add ekstra mid layer dewold + ekstra wool hat + woolen liners for the mittens.

Our daughter was the only one staying in ski school when the weather went realy bad.

The fitting of a helmet is a challange in the cold situation with balaclava + ekstra cap.

woolen socks 2 pairs when really cold!

But at 9 years it should be much easier to keep warm - but depends on the childrens weight and fysical condition.
ski holidays
Well Chloe does have designs on my Hestra 3 finger mitts, good compromise between mitten warmth and glove dexterity
snow conditions
Belch wrote:
...make sure your kids gloves have clips to take wrist leashes . . .alternatively def try the glove retainer cords - Manbi Glove Glue . . .essential!

Yes, a vital essential. , Kids leave/drop gloves all over the place. Before you know it you are hunting around for that missing glove after a pit stop. It usually in the muddy puddle you all carefully stepped over.

But then you can break out the spare pair you undoubtedly have with you due to all the good advice here!
snow report
PollSki wrote:
@rachelharrisonsmith, @Gaza, Can you recommend a particular back protector?

Again the Nevica one is OK and a very good price when on sale.

http://www.lillywhites.com/nevica-anatomic-shield-920442
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy