Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aldi ski stuff on sale from Thursday

Poster: A snowHead
Bargains galore but you have to be quick Little Angel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If only...

(no Aldi in NI)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Already have a shopping list from the kids! One age 12 outfit and some of the fleece tights for Toastertalbot and a merino tshirt for Talbyem
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Socks look good value, anyone know if they are any good?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The more expensive ones were excellent last year. They tend to vary the styles, and I'm not sure that they had silk in them last year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep the socks are pretty good, Talbyem got some of the more expensive ones last year and there isn't much to choose between them and my Teko Freeride World Tour socks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timc wrote:
Socks look good value, anyone know if they are any good?

they are all rubbish . . .some kind of silk/lycra/merino mix and very expensive at £4.99 . . .I'd shop elsewhere . . .. wink Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oddly, our local Aldi has clearance ski trousers in at the moment. Must be last season's or something as the ski stuff (according to their latest brochure - and as indicated by Snow heads earlier) isn't available until next Thursday.

Mrs MA and I have taken a punt - for a ridiculous £8 Shocked a pop - down from from £16... Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does every store stock everything in the deal? I'm after some helmets and thinking of getting over to our local one when it opens at 8am on Thursday but as I'll have kids with me and it's before the school run I want to be fairly sure they'll have them. X
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@breeze11, Go to the aldi website, if you pick your local store it should tell you what they will have.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any ideas how good their gloves are.... ? Just about to return a pair I liked off sportspursuit as they're too small.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes breeze11, on previous forays to Aldi for skiing, biking and camping kit we've found that they have everything from the brochure.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Spike107, OH likes his, I don't like them at all. But at the price, even if you don't like them they are useful as spares.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wouldn't dump any of my Hestras for Aldi gloves but wouldn't be bothered if some reason Aldi gloves were all I'd got to go skiing in.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For anyone interested in this, Aldi have been running a ski wear advert seemingly every hour on various Freeview channels today.

So get in early...............
snow report
Yes, tomorrow. Bridgwater is my nearest. Going to risk it early on the way to work. https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-3-dec/
snow report
Has anyone used these, leather faced gloves? https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-3-dec/product-detail/ps/p/leather-faced-ski-gloves/
snow report
Think those are new this year @sequoiaboard.
ski holidays
davkt wrote:
Think those are new this year @sequoiaboard.

OK, cheers. I'll try them on and give them a rub and a sniff in the morning and report back.
snow report
Will be doing the same, better get there early as I have a shopping list from the kids to fill and won't be popular if it is sold out when I get round to it!
latest report
Aldi gloves have kept me warm in a howling blizzard at -20C. Superb.
ski holidays
Just been down to my local Aldi. They only had a couple of jackets and salopettes but fortunately they were in my size so I've grabbed a set for using while teaching on the dry slope. I don't like using my good gear on plastic:-

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-3-dec/product-detail/ps/p/mensladies-ski-pro-jacket/

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-3-dec/product-detail/ps/p/mensladies-ski-pro-salopettes/

The socks weren't much interest to me as I wear very thin Falke SK5s and the Aldi ones were more like Falke SK2s. The gloves looked okay but again I didn't need any so passed. The only thing I did buy was the £29.95 "Action Camera". This will do as a stocking filler for my son. He keeps asking for his own GoPro but he wasn't getting one of those. Very Happy
snow report
Managed to talk my mum into going for me since Aldi continue to object to Northern Ireland. Gloves, merino thermals and socks. Hopefully they're alright.
snow report
Merino thermals are fine @Lauka, just the same as previous years and my oldest set is still going strong after 4 or 5 years of being used for skiing and offshore sailing. Picked up a couple of tops for my 16 year old daughter.
Hope she got you the expensive (£4.99) socks they are very good, silk and wool blend, not quite as thin as my Teko freeride world tours but not much thicker, the basic socks are just that, thick and basic.
Gloves, got my daughter a pair of the long gauntlet style ski pro mittens for £9.99, seem as well made as any £30 or £40 pair in a dedicated ski shop, Aldi showing their green credentials here as they are made with some renewable sourced synthetic fabric from Dupont. As with all aldi gloves a little thicker than I like (my usual gloves are very close fitting Hestra ski cross ones) but not ridiculously bulky like most cheap ski gloves.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 3-12-15 15:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks @davkt, sounds good enough! Will have to call her and ask which socks she got though...
ski holidays
The Action Camera is going back. I didn't expect much from it but I've had a quick look and noticed the mount is VERY flimsy indeed. Also it isn't compatible with any of the 'standard' things like GoPro. SportsPursuit are going the Garmoin Virb for £80 or a GoPro knock-off - http://www.sportpursuit.com/waterproof-sport-action-camera-black - for £45. I'm amazed they get away with doing what looks like an identical piece of kit. Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
We got to our local one at 8am before the school run and got the kids helmets which I'm really pleased about. I also picked up some goggles for us adults and the kids for £7.99 each. Are the goggles any good? I am happy to return them if not. Trespass had some performance ones reduced to £35 ish which they were telling me were fantastic but I know very little about goggles so I'm not sure?
snow report
Got to the Aldi closest to the office around noon. It was like a herd of locusts had been through. Just about managed to get the stuff I had been sent for. Complete kit (jacket, trousers, gloves, 2x socks, 2x base layers, 2x tops) for my daughter's friend, who is coming with us for her first ski trip next month, for seventy quid all in. I don't think that's beatable anywhere and the kit looks decent if not brand-slave fashionable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Goggles are usually as good as top trespass type stuff at several times the price, I've got expensive Head goggles that match my helmet but my spare pair are Aldi or Lidl and 3 or 4 years old, still going strong. The other advantage is its a lot less paonful if you loose £8 goggles than £35 or £65 ones!
snow report
My haul came to about £80 which includes full outfit for 12yo Toastertalbot, jacket, trousers, base layer, fleece tights and small adult pro mitts. 2 merino tops and 2 pairs of the pro socks for the 16yo wannabe snowboard instructor Talbyem and one of the made in Bangladesh 'Nordic' wool blend jumpers for me.
ski holidays
@Gaza, Get a SJCAM 4000 Wifi from Amazon or ebay - quality roughly equivalent to 2014 GoPro Silver. Comes with all the mounts you need for skiing and others can be bought at very decent prices.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SW17-Genuine-SJCAM-SJ4000-WiFi-HD-1080P-Waterproof-Action-DV-Sports-Camera-/161387517335?hash=item2593721597:g:tioAAOSw~bFWF4LP
snow report
Just got some of the socks and thermals. Some of the gloves I tried on were coming away at the seams so need to look closely at those.

Anyone tried the helmets? I've never had one and thinking I should get one. I tried on a kids one that seemed to fit well, cheaper too! They seemed to be padded with the same stuff as cycle helmets, is that how they all are? I can only compare it to a Mambi park one I tried on previously and it seemed pretty much the same but £17!
snow conditions
Bought the Pro socks (merino wool + silk) £5, Pro gloves £10 and Buff £3. What a bargain! Good job I went lunchtime to the Aldi close to the office rather than after work. There wasn't much left of anything.
snow report
Just had a wander across from work (all of 50m). Everything still in stock, though the jackets have been messed about and covering all the bins. The Pro jacket/salopettes aren't as good a quality as the ones I got last year.
Got a couple of pairs of the silk/merino socks and a fleece lined buff.
ski holidays
Helmets, well a few years ago we figured out one or other of Aldi or Lidl's were actually rebadged Giros, and this years seem well made so probably come from one of the main manufactures as well. Jackets don't know why but they always seem to get a bit worse each year, have a 4 or 5 year old Aldi skiing soft shell and it is great, haven't been tempted by one of their jackets since.
Round here some stores always sell out in no time, others will have most of ski range kicking around till they put it on clearance in a couple of months time so always worth checking more than one branch.
ski holidays
Oh dear..... Much larger bag of stuff purchased than I meant to.... Audit of loft this evening to see what kids actually needed!
snow report
I bought a couple of packs of the thicker non silk socks to wear everyday. Great value and seem nice enough (apart from the colour scheme Laughing )
ski holidays
@SillySkier, I thought the helmets were very good. Maybe a little lighter than mine.
I wanted long sleeve merino base but they just had them in torquoise or bluuh beige!!! Why not black?
I got silk socks look fine and good fit as I have small feet.
Also got the leather palm gloves, again good fit not too big.
I've never been one for filming while skiing but at £30 including memory card and 3 year warranty I thought I might give the action camera a go. I can also take it snorkelling too.
snow report
@katedenhaag, Know what you mean, I have 1 kids jacket, 2 pairs of kids skis and 1 pair of kids boots on ebay at the moment but suspect I could find many times more kit to get rid of!
ski holidays
I'll try them out in Zermatt next week 😜
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy