Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To hire or not..

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am an intermediate but new skier (ski some reds but way more comfy on blues) and I ski parallel short and long turns. Last year I had skis that i borrowed from a friend..they are... Rossignol 10.4 150 they have a fair amount of wear on the edges. Are they the right kind of skis for me?

Am i best to stick with these or hire different skis? been treated to boots this year so buying skis not an option.

Little Angel

thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't tell you but people will need to know how tall you are and what you weigh to be able to help from what I do understand
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry thats how new i am..60kg and 5'4
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swish swish, how will you travel to the mountains? If you don't have to pay extra for ski carriage, why not take the skis you have? At worst, you may choose to hire something different when you get there - maybe get some advice from an instructor when you're there. If you have to pay more to take them, then you might think more carefully about whether to bring them or not.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With the new ski carriage costs I certainly wouldn't rush to buy skis. There is a lot to be said for hiring.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all x
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,
if i was you I would rent nice carving and easy to turn skis - height just around or under your chin or so - if renting try to negotiate with them that you would like to change them once or twice during the week - i always do and it always works especially when you go for the higher spec. You can change the height too just to see how that feels the longer the ski - the longer the curv and the more speed you will get while curving - and slightly tougher to turn too. Go short.

the lighter the skis - the easier they will turn too (thats my experience eg. Volkl are great but you need to have good light snow with those)
the heavier the skis you feel more confident in the turn as you most likely wont lose the edge (which is the higher risk with the lighter ski) so heavier/sturdier/enforced skies for conditions when snow is heavier/moguls are there/wet snow etc.

If you are skiing once a year for a week or so there is no point almost in owing your skis - if you fly anywhere the robbing b@astards will charge you 50EUR min for your kit anyway which is already half price for renting the top grade for 6 days. Not mentioning that the hired ones are always prepared, sharp edges, plenty to chose from etc. No need to carry, if you scratch its not a big deal either. Always negotiate.

I dropped owing my skis 15 years ago and I love it.
I have my boots and I m not planning on buying skis unless I move close to the mountains Madeye-Smiley

and most of all have fun! Try light skis and try heavy ones and most of all lean forward and bend tze kneeeez snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think this is always a bit circumstantial and preferential as mentioned above.

I'd say if you buy 2nd hand skiis (which you can do for sub£100 up to £350ish range depending on which ski season/condition it is in etc.) and use them 1 week for 2 years (2 weeks in total) you about break even, if not by yr3 you most likely surely would have.
On the other hand is the convenience factor of carrying them with you all over the 2 countries you will be traveling from, and to and back.
On the other hand is as mentioned above, the chance to Experiment with different types/kinds of skiis and figure out what you like most/works best for you.

In terms of carriage charges, I think Easyjet is a joke at £60 surcharge. But AFAIK BA flys it for free for example. Travel agencies in UK arranging these things will add on a symbolic £15 for both ways to carry your load. (I just checked this 2 days ago for my self). So I wouldnt be too put off by that tbh.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy