Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

question on ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys. I've been skiing for maybe 15 years (about 1 week per year really!). Have finally decided to buy my own pair of skis. Having always taken whatever skis the ski rental shop give me I realise I'm really inadequate in the art of choosing skis. I'm 183cm and weigh just under 80kgs. From memory in the past I've skied skis from say 167cm to 190cm. What I'm confused is that some people say I should get skis base on my height and some people say I should get skis based on my weight.

Skiing style - I can go down all piste and no problem on black (though not as graceful as some). Stayed on piste about 70% of the time.

I am currently looking at all mountain skis and have my eyes on Blizzard Brahma. Thinking of getting the 180cm version. Do you think that'll be too tall for me? Should I get the 173cm version?

Happy to receive recommendation for other skis although ideally I don't want the base to be fatter than 95mm.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steer away from ridiculous wide skis as per your remarked 95mm plus........... For your general aforementioned usage if you like Blizzard as a brand, then go with same - everyone makes a good product for all intents and purposes and the Brahma is a more everyday acceptable choice albeit slightly wide to that of so many absurd fadish pontoons posing as skis. It has gotten so insane............

A 180 if not all the better their 187 length would be more than sound. If you like to cruise, more akin to "GS" style, the longer ski is always the better choice especially in softer snow, slush and powder more capable overall, as well. (Too many ski upon skis that are too short and boots that are too stiff, but I digress..................)

One would trust your boots are sound as they are, hands down, the most important piece of equipment. Since you are considering a ski sans binding, I will unhesitatingly - intransigently say to go with the Look turntable/pivot binding, period. Once you understand and "see" the unparalleled benefit of turntable, you understand as to its superiority. You would not need to go beyond the base 5-14 DIN.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy