Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Gardena Valley - Snow.

Poster: A snowHead
It's dumping down in the Swiss Alps!

Nothing in the VGV since Oct 16th. Confused http://www.valgardena.it/en/ski-snowboard/slopes-lifts/snow-report/

However, the temps have dropped significantly in the last week and the cannons are going full tilt.

Another week and a half before the lifts are due to fire up. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mollerski, The northern alps and the Dollies get their snow in completely different ways.

Look out for a storm that comes up from the south. These Atlantic storms never take their moisture across the main alpine ridge
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ensembles look more or less barren till their expiry in mid Dec Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It won't be the first time that skiing is on ribbons of artificial snow amidst brown meadows at either end of the season! wink

Here's hoping for a Genoa or Adriatic low soon! snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@luigi, At least the temps are in the minus. Confused

They're making like mad on the back of Ciampinoi I see, for the Men's WC.

We're not there for another 6 weeks. Plenty enough time to sort itself out. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"It won't be the first time that skiing is on ribbons of artificial snow amidst brown meadows at either end of the season! "

I've had that at the end of January....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr Rock wrote:
"
I've had that at the end of January....

Don't. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sella Ronda due to open on 4th December

Lots of oribbons on the webcams
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Sella Ronda due to open on 4th December

Lots of oribbons on the webcams

Dec 4th is about standard. How good it will be is questionable.

Hopefully, when the heavens finally open, all will be well. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gentle bump.

If there's anyone skiing in ValG this week it would be great to have an honest first-hand report on conditions....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No help but 12z GFS ensembles suggest nothing till their expiry which is Christmas Day. I know that could change. But really. No snow at all. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On a more positive note the posters on Alpinforum are praising the quality of the 'snow' given the current conditions
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=54215
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pjd wrote:
On a more positive note the posters on Alpinforum are praising the quality of the 'snow' given the current conditions
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=54215

And if you can't read German, there are some pretty pics that illustrate the situation on this Trip Report from earlier this week...

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=54596

Credit to the pisteurs who have prepared the Saslong World Cup course and appear to have opened up the main links across the whole area solely on artificial snow...not exactly pretty...but very impressive!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can you estimate the height of the pistes in those shots whats the resort height range ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tirol 164 wrote:
Can you estimate the height of the pistes in those shots whats the resort height range ?

The valley resorts of Selva & Corvara have spot heights of around 1560m, but most of the shots relate to pistes up on the mountain in the 1800-2200m range. The Saslong WC course drops from 2249m to 1410m and that is complete ready for racing on 18/19th Dec.

Val Gardena ski area starts at 1236m in Ortisei and tops out at 2518m at Seceda, but there are higher lifts in the linked Sella Ronda area reaching 3342m.
snow conditions
@Tirol 164, Selva is at about 1550m, St Christina is 1400m. Val Gardena tops out between 2200m (Dantercepies, Ciampinoi, Alpe de Suisi) and 2500m (Seceda). Plan de Gralba area holds the snow well, probably something to do with being in the shadow of the massive Sassolungo.

If you want to get higher, head through Passo Pordoi to Canazei area. Its about 2400m but does seem to retain better quality snow in the bowls.
ski holidays
Sella Ronda open both directions by sunday according to Bergfex

http://www.bergfex.com/sellaronda-dolomiten/
snow report
Dolomiti superski website is now showing the same thing!
ski holidays
According to some Italian weathersites they are now predicting heavy snowfall around Christmas - they are saying it will be a huge dump like in the winter of 85. Whether this is true remains to be seen, here's hoping! If you can read Italian (or click translate!) here it is... http://siviaggia.it/notizie/video/meteo-natale-2015/121943/
snow report
^ today's 12z ensembles show some activity then for snow but need more support. Here's hoping Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Mid week is looking promising.
snow report
Mollerski wrote:
Mid week is looking promising.

Not a lot on the wigglies...where are you seeing it??

latest report
The only concensus I can see for mid week is the temperature rising. And I certainly can't see any evidence of much snow on that chart. A few ensemble runs show the possibility of snow between the 21st and 23rd but with very little agreement from the other runs.
snow report
Looks grim to me. Surprised there aren't water shortages. The Sahara must have had more precipitation in the last two months
ski holidays
Cheer up fellas. A slight wind shift could alter all of the above. Hopefully. Confused
snow conditions
It doesn't need to snow there. They make their own
snow conditions
The Sasslong Men's WC course is looking OK, as it's 100% cannoned.

There's one flake of snow on the Met forecast on this site. wink

http://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/weather-live-cams/live-webcam/ciampinoi-live/
ski holidays
Hmmm. A number of threads here on VG conditions. Ive done something ive never done before and booked a trip some time in advance. Due in VG on 17/01...id guess the likelihood of it not snowing between now and then very, very remote indeed...whether it dumps or not is a different question!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@shiva_71,

We're in Selva from the 15th onwards. For it not to snow between now and then would be unprecedented. I mentioned earlier, that I've been skiing this area early season for many years, we've always been OK. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I'm going on the 2nd - still got 2 1/2 weeks to snow Puzzled
snow report
@laura1182,

You've had at least one stroke of good fortune, you'll miss us!! Very Happy
ski holidays
We are going on 16th Jan so keeping a close eye on these threads
wink
latest report
Seiseralm has a very thin covering of snow in webcam pics this afternoon but sadly that will be gone tomorrow I expect. Shame as it looks, today, vaguely reminiscent of winter.
snow report
pjd wrote:
Seiseralm has a very thin covering of snow .

No great loss up there. Boring place. wink
ski holidays
@Mollerski, pretty flat I grant you, but lovely scenery and some great unspoilt mountain huts once you get away from Kompatsch Madeye-Smiley and it has a Chondola and a bus link from Monte Pana that bounces you up and down violently and gives you concern that your skis will fall out of the holder on the back. So many things to like!
Looks weird without snow though. Sad
ski holidays
@pjd,

I've ridden the bus to Monty Panasar when the snow has been so deep, I swear that the driver didn't have to steer. The narrow snow walls did it for him. Very Happy
snow conditions
Mollerski wrote:
@pjd,

I've ridden the bus to Monty Panasar when the snow has been so deep, I swear that the driver didn't have to steer. The narrow snow walls did it for him. Very Happy

LOL, that bus journey is something else. There was also deep snow along the roadside when I last went. Would have made a picteresque ski run in fact.

As for Seiser alm, yes its pretty easy for a lot of skiiers and doesn't provide much of a challenge. But I find parts of it almost magical/enchanting and love the fact its relatively quiet. Just hope they dont spoil it any further with more hotels
latest report
@Mollerski, Cheers, though i might be taking my mountainbike instead if things dont improve!
snow report
@shiva_71,

The current reports coming back are extremely favourable, 12m Euro of snow making makes sure of that. You won't be needing an MTB, I assure you. wink
snow conditions
The Men's Downhill is happening there right now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy