Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Large quivers and travelling

Poster: A snowHead
A question for those people with large collections of skis (or snowboards!), who don't live near the mountains - what do you do when travelling to ski/snow trips? How many pairs do you take, and how do you choose which ones?

I've seen quite a few comments recently re. n+1 rule, always need more skis etc - and i would looooooove more skis, there are so many amazing ones out there! But I already have 3 pairs (ok 4, need to sell one), and don't live beside the mountains anymore, so I'm thinking even with quiverkillers I need to restrict myself to only taking 2 pairs at a time - so how could I add more skis to the quiver?!

What does everyone else do?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@fixx, I really, really don't think you need many pairs of skis in most places.

I do live in the mountains and rarely put more than one pair on the car at the weekend.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fixx, One pair of all-rounder Freeride 108 underfoot skis for slack/ piste, and fat skis for powder days, quiver killers mounted on all-rounder for travel and wide brakes so they go over fat ski in bag and bindings fit both ski. Both in 2 pair wheeled ski bag along with poles and avi gear and skins....Job done.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, I agree - but I've seen a few comments on here about people with loads of skis, and genuinely wonder how they do it?

I was very happy the last two winters in Cham with 2 pairs, no problem. I've now added a 3rd, as I did need something more aggressive than my smaller skis, but I'll only travel with max 2 pairs at a time. Most of my trips will be at least 2 weeks though, not a weekend...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've bought 5 pairs out with me in the car all with their own bindings Shocked Unecessary really but I could so I did. Last season I only had 2 pairs, piste and off piste, and got on fine. Last season's piste skis are now rockhoppers and I've bought a new pair, got some touring skis and couldn't resist some cheap Whitedot Director Carbonlites as powder skis. Lots of overlap really Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, my plan is very similar to yours Smile Albeit my biggest skis have a smaller waist than your smaller ones! Wheeled ski bag currently in living room with 2 pairs of skis in to check the weight Embarassed
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Claude B, can't blame you Smile I've seen the photos, it's a nice set! And so much easier when driving to the Alps - I guess that's what a lot of people do with multiple skis...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@fixx,
Quote:

What does everyone else do?

Two roof boxes on the car -- then I can take them all Happy

Normally Christmas is when I will take a lot of skis --- there will be a ropey pair for rocky pistes, a touring pair, and a powder pair -- don't really need the pow ones -- but take them anyway. Then there will be telemark skis too -- so this year there will be a ropey pair of tele skis and a better pair for soft snow. Realistically I will probably just use the Mantras I have mounted tele -- but it's nice to have a choice...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@fixx, well, for the Inferno in January I shall be using Swissrail to send my SGs, GSs and Nordics to the hotel. And back home again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fixx, when flying elsewhere I take two pairs. Depending on where I'm going that'll either be an every ski that can handle bad snow + powder or touring skis.

This season I'm downsizing to a 3 pair quiver - everyday, touring and powder. Though I may add a shorter/lighter/narrower touring ski too in Spring...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a snowboarder. I've narrowed it down to two boards which I need:
  • A powder board
  • A piste board
If I'm riding powder then I'm in a helicopter or a cat and it's all powder, so I don't need sharp edges or any piste ability.

If I'm riding piste, then there may be powder about, but it's all "resort powder" (I don't do resort-based back country stuff), so it's got a base and I can ride it on a slalom board if it's there. Most days at a resort a Slalom board does the job - flexible enough at resort speeds and in moguls, ridable in powder although not much fun there.

So... 1 bag, 1 pair of boots, 1 set of bindings 2 boards and it's done.

--
I remember seeing an Atomic rep who made it to Austria with a huge bag full of maybe 10 or so pairs of skis for demonstration. I don't know how that could be shipped by air - presumably it was freighted some other way, as you'd not get any baggage handler to pick that up. I really want one though, just because.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Problem:

1 x pair cross-country classic skis
1 x pair cross-country skating skis
1 x pair touring skis
1 x pair piste skis
1 x pair rock skis

Solution 1:

Fold the split folding rear seat of the C5
Sling them all in along with assorted poles
Ditto more pairs belonging to travelling companions
Hit the gas

Solution 2:

Fit large top box
Sling everything in as above
Hit the gas
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have a garage full of skis - but when traveling to alps (usually via plane from Scotland) I prefer to take one pair. Travel light.

100mm ski with dynafit or marker bindings covers most bases.
Single ski quiver Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't have rock skis. Every pair of my skis are rocks skis.

I don't bring multiple pairs when travelling. But then, I only do about 10-11 day max on each trip. So it's typically one pair of cross-country and 1 pair of alpine skis.

If I get a larger ski tube, I can take more skis. But I just don't feel strongly enough about the various skis I have. They all ski differently in different conditions. Each has its strong points but all can be skied quite fine in all conditions. If I find myself not enjoying a particular condition, it's rarely because of the skis, it's usually just me being a poor skier.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've never had rock skis, mine are all best skis.........and carbon at that - I try to look after them but if they get chunks out of them such is life. As@clarky999, told me once, and I've not forgotten - "they're tools not jewels". They're there to do a job, I don't get over-precious anymore!
snow report
I just put them in the car, got five pairs with me this trip.
snow report
@Markymark29, wink
snow conditions
At this myself too. Doing some race training in Jan but hoping to get in the powder in the afternoons so weighed 1 pair slalom, 1 x gs and 1 by Cham 97s - just came in under the 22kgs, + poles should just make it but only just Very Happy
snow conditions
On family trips I'll have three pairs in a ski bag and bung it in as hold cargo.

My piste skis, my off piste skis and the wifes skis.

Hers will have bindings on, but mine are in my rucksack. Usually comes in under the weight limit easily; thank you quiver killers.
snow report
Quote:

Every pair of my skis are rocks skis.

Indeed --- I've had a few occasions when edges have been pulled out/broken by early season rocks. So now I do have rock skis
latest report
This thread has got me thinking as I'll be taking at least 3 pairs now the mushette has her own tiny racing skis. They weigh in at about 3kg so shouldn't be much of a problem Smile
snow report
I need to retrofit those QKs. Just this morning found i could not squeeze 2 pair into my bag (well not the 2 i wanted).
ski holidays
usually take three pairs.... piste , powder , touring (qk'd) in the flat in ski bag with poles and boots and avi gear , and one set of bindings in hand luggage , never any issue on long haul canada flights , but lately have to be quite exact weight wise on easy jet geneva flights .
ski holidays
If i'm flying, I choose the skis I take depending on the weather/snow conditions and the type of trip.

My piste skis are "all mountain", about 80 underfoot, and perfectly fine on or off piste so i'll take them for a typical ski trip with friends which would probably be mostly piste with a bit of off piste but nothing too challenging.

I have two pairs of touring skis, the fatter ones are 112 underfoot so if it looks like a massive powder week (or i'm going somewhere like Japan) i'll take those ones instead.

For a normal European touring trip i'll take my other touring skis, about 95 underfoot.
latest report
@fixx, Jons whole sales spiel is that he can get 3 pairs less bindings in the ski bag with the Quiver Killers. 2 Pairs with bindings, poles and a load of ski gear in the bag is easily under 23kgs you get on the long haul. May have more of a problem with the short haul skin flint airlines.

So you need another pair Very Happy you can never have enough
snow report
@Jake43, I already have 3 Smile That's enough for now. I do think I have 2 gaps in my quiver though (full on piste skis, lightweight touring), but given my expenditure over the summer included 2 new pairs of skis, 2 sets of skins, 1 set of tech bindings, 3 sets of quiverkillers, and a new pair of boots, I think I need to give my bank account a break Razz

As for packing weight, I'm a girl, I can never have too many bags Toofy Grin Toofy Grin (I am actually quite restrained, and I'll manage)
ski holidays
@Dabber,
Quote:

and one set of bindings in hand luggage

Is this ok? I'm a bit worried about it, but hoping it's generally fine...
ski holidays
Weekend trip - one pair which fits the forecast. Week+ 2 pairs as above. Going in spyderjon's car - as many pairs as you can get away with, don't forget a lucky slalom pair to ensure conditions remain non death pack.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fixx wrote:
@Dabber,
Quote:

and one set of bindings in hand luggage

Is this ok? I'm a bit worried about it, but hoping it's generally fine...
That is what Jon does all the time so it must be ok. It is not like the have any sharp bits is it.
snow conditions
@fixx, have carried all types of bindings, on all kinds of flights , from barons to tech in hand luggage with no problems what so ever Very Happy
snow report
Last trip 2 pairs inc. bindings, plus 2x poles in a double bag came in at 13kg, so I'm guessing approx 5kg per pair with bindings... sound about right? Though both were little flimsy things, one of which has now been returned to its owner and the other is on eBay.

So this year 3x proper skis inc. bindings and poles in the same bag (some packing wizardry may be required) should be under 23kg...? I can always pack the bindings if it's looking iffy or they won't fit – 2 will be QK and the other is on a rail.
ski holidays
Like a lot of people I have a fair few sets of sticks, but I have an alpine resort quiver of two. Set of all rounders and set of resort powder sticks, if I had to take one I would always pack my powder sticks and rent piste skis in resort.

But since I like a faff and a back up I have a bag that would take four sets, I usually pack my rock skis as a back up pair.
snow report
I'm amazed that so many of you can be @rsed to haul around all those skis. I have very rarely travelled with 2 pairs for me. Normally one. I suspect that is partly because I've been doing ski weekends by plane for years and too much luggage is a real PITA. Partly as a function of that I've tended to buy compromised do it all skis - e.g., prophet 100 - fat enough for soft days, shaped enough to enjoy the piste when things are hard. Very rarely (like once or twice) I've hired something more suitable to the conditions when I've got there.

We've only started driving now that we have a place in the mountains - obviously that would make a difference.
Now I have a cave I still only have 3 pairs and I'm expecting to use only two this season, one of them 80% of the time (ranger carbonlites with beasts). I guess in time I may had a pure powder ski with alpine bindings and a shorter/skinnier touring ski for big, high altitude tours. But know that will result in "which ski anxiety" when I'd really be better just skiing.
ski holidays
@jedster, its no problem. Multiple pairs are as much hassle to shift as a single pair, and the airline does most of the heavy lifting.

More of a pain is getting the skis into the hire car!
latest report
@jedster,
Quote:

ranger carbonlites with beasts

+1 (108's), trust you've got the new Rag CL's too............perfect 2 ski quiver Toofy Grin
snow conditions
If I were flying a lot I would still opt for more than one pair but have them all fitted with quiver killers stick them all in a single ski bag and have one set of bindings in my main bag.
latest report
Quote:

trust you've got the new Rag CL's too............perfect 2 ski quiver

those would be the "pure powder skis" I don't yet have...
ski holidays
Quote:

@jedster, its no problem. Multiple pairs are as much hassle to shift as a single pair, and the airline does most of the heavy lifting.

More of a pain is getting the skis into the hire car!

well I meant the whole thing door to door. But it is hassle to have more than one pair because I'm generally travelling with someone else with skis so we put a pair each in a double bag and then a combination of hand luggage and perhaps one holdall does the rest. Means when you land one person can wait for luggage, the other can get to the front of the car hire queue. All the gear fits in a small car. etc etc. Can make the difference between squeezing in a couple of hours when you arrive or not
latest report
@fixx, keep them in my garage until April!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy