Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best & Worst of PDS

Poster: A snowHead
Just got a piste map through the post from the tourist office in Morzine as our trip always feels more real and getting closer than looking just on line ( although it's pretty small print so using the two together works best) Made me realise what an absolutely enormous area our passes will be covering. I reckon a fair part of it will remain un-explored with just 6 days skiing available so wondered if anyone has suggested parts not to miss or bits that are not really worth bothering with. We are going late March if that has any relevance with suggestions (ie. low level/snow cover?) Looking at it now makes me think 'where do I start?' The chalet we are staying in will no doubt have suggestions and will ferry us to whatever start point we wish each day from their base near St Jean d'aulps. Always good though to get other thoughts from here. Two of us skiing, good intermediate level so all pistes considered (except maybe v. tough blacks), can't think of any type of pistes that I dislike, all great in their own way (narrow tree runs, motorways, moguls etc.) Not v.experienced off piste so like the look of the snowcross areas mentioned on avoriaz websites- any thoughts on these?
Thanks for any ideas.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am pretty sure you will spend most of your time heading up to Ardent and then skiing around that area, which is great, but by the sounds of your skiing I would definitely also head over to the Les Gets area for a couple of days. Also don't forget to check out the Mont Chery area whilst there. I think you guys will enjoy it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that @garyscott20, i will start my list of must do's with these.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What part of the season are you visting in? Makes a difference to what is "best" and "worst" *

Are you fast skiers? do you cover alot of mileage? or do you like to spend the whole day going back on pistes you``ve already skied?

* depending on snow cover etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you've got the option of picking different start points you're laughing. We've done the 3rd week in March for the last couple of years based in Chapelle d'Abondance. We normally ski starting either from Pre-la-joux or the Chapelle Cabine but these are a bit far for you. But we always take one day where we drive round to the furthest Les Gets lift from us, Perrieres express, and ski Gets/Morzine from there. And I expect your driver could take you there. Like @garyscott20, says, Ardent is a great starting point for you to access Chatel and Avoriaz. We found the Avoriaz snowcross a right laugh and I'm not much of a parkrat! From Ardent you should easily be able to do the circuit going up through Avoriaz to Champery around through Switzerland to Morgins, across through Super Chatel and back through the new link to Linga up over to Lindarets and home. We even did that circuit (starting in Pre-La-Joux) and fitted in lunch at the top of Pantiaz (just inside Chapelle d'Abondance) and back through Torgon, although we were less time worried as we could have got stuck anywhere and get a bus back to the car!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@broadsman, Late March could mean less good snow low down which affects some of the options. We have done a lad’s trip in mid-March for years and usually there is plenty of decent snow high up but it has varied low down.

If the conditions are decent a day round the Circuit Roc d’Enfer from St Jean d’Aulps is worthwhile. Two decent intermediates will ski everything available plus at least two “Circuits” in a day.

As suggested access to Ardent makes getting to the Chatel side easy – that covers a day.

Another day from Ardent and up to French Mosettes then down to Les Crosets and ski around the Swiss side. Back up to Swiss Mosettes or Grande Conche at the end of the day and you have the longest run in the PDS (I think) ahead of you all the way back to Ardent.

Spend a day starting from Prodains – up to Avoriaz and the runs in the Fornet bowl, over to Hauts Forts and try whichever of the black runs you feel up to - Coupe du Monde is OK , Machon and Arete des Intrets a good bit “blacker”.

Allocate a day to a big circuit - Ardent, Plaine Dranse, Linga, Super Chatel via the new lifts, Morgins, Champoussin, Les Crosets (you will have covered a good bit of this ground on the two earlier days from Ardent).

A day Morzine based – easily extended to Les Gets

A day based in Les Gets including Mont Chery if the conditions merit.

Oh no! Too many days. I’m still finding new bits after 25 years.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@broadsman, difficult thing is that there really aren't any "worst" bits. And the best bits are very conditions dependent...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm... late March in the PDS... Unless we get a good season I suspect that garyscott20 is right, you'll be over at Ardent and skiing Avoriaz mostly. Personally I absolutely love Mont Chery in Les Gets if the snow is right. This is always worth a half day. Ski it in the morning and stop for a very long lunch at the Grand Ourse, best food in the PDS in my opinion. If the snow is poor then Chatel La Linga usually keeps a good amount available as it's North facing - cold in the morning but more decent snow than most other places late March. Also, suggest going over to Nyon from Morzine, lovely long red running down from Chamossiere (the Arbis), stop off at the end of the fast run out for a hot chocolate at the little café, my wife thinks they make the best on the mountain (all tastes the same to me!). If you're looking for excitement try "The Wall" Toofy Grin on the Swiss side over at Avoriaz, I'm sure enough skiers on Snowheads will describe just how much fun it can be on a good day! - I've never been mad enough to try it and I've been skiing many years. But, as DJL says, there is always somewhere new in the PDS. Let us know if you find any hidden gems.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to Avoriaz in Easter of 2013 and we got a local lift pass for the Avoriaz area only and not the whole PDS area. There was plenty to keep us occupied there. Morzine and Les Gets were closed, it was early April and as I remember the whole of Avoriaz was open bar one run. Never got over to Chatel but there was more than enough for us in Avoriaz.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hate to say it but in my experience the worst of PdS is St Jean d'aulps - piste-wise at least. Thankfully it sounds like you've got a chalet that will drop you anywhere so not dependent on the bus up the valley to Morzine.

A lot of people in the smaller villages seem to ski their local area the first day or 2, then start following the hurd to the bigger/better-linked areas around Avoriaz. My advice would be to do the opposite. In 2014 a few of us tried to do the big loop, hitting the slopes between Chapelle d'Abondance and Torgon around 10:30/11 - and going down pistes with just 1 other set of tracks on them!

NOTE: If you do try the loop DO follow the route on the piste map or you'll find yourself facing almost 2km of T-bar at one point! Not making THAT mistake again Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@broadsman, your off to a winner if the chalet will drop you off each day. Each day go to a different starting lift depending on weather.

Lots of good advice above about where to go so here's a list places I avoid in March
(spring snow condition - ice in the am slush in the pm).

1) The Les Prodains sector in Avoriaz.
2) Run down to Ardent is carnage late one.
3) Basically - any north facing slopes (note: North is down on the Map you have !)

Mt Chery / Lunch at Grand Ourse was a great suggest from @MikeM, I take intermediates "Girlfriend Skiing" there Happy

TOP TIP : Each resort in the PdS has it own piste map. They all have the small scale full PdS map on the back but each has it's own, better detailed, map.
Collect them as you go from each entry point they have more detail / more accurate.

And leave The Wall alone - here is why : http://skiingwithdemons.com/2015/09/29/the-swiss-wall-the-chairlift-of-shame/

Twisted Evil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@broadsman, Lots of good info above, but talk to the locals and if the snow is still good enough do not miss out on a day over in Chf's land above Morgins and Champousin. Clear day, fab views, and good skiing with less crowds.
Access through Ardent, and over the Point de Mossettes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@broadsman, Don't be put off by ol' grumpy @skiingwithdemons, if you're a strong intermediate then The Wall is a must do. Take your time and don't try to straight line it. It's a good test of character, bumps technique and sphincter control Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"For those about to do The Wall - we salute you" - thumbs up to @DallyPaul, Swiss sectors are usually deserted and perfect for intermediates piste are wide motorway. I'm a bit grumpy,sorry. Forced into a family Xmas in UK when we have early snow in Zine. Skullie
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Biggest problem with the wall is the lieklihood of being taken out bupy a strong intermediate straightlining it, dambusters style, upside down.

I have skied it on a monoski and home made snow blades. Amongst other things.
ski holidays
Quote:

and there's not many who can say that....
latest report
under a new name wrote:

Monoski and snowboard, for me. Never on two skis, only in condition. It suffers from bad traverse lines, from what I remember, so going down the middle is actually easier.

On the OP: it all depends on the snow and what you like. A lot of those bumpy red slopes plus the wall are fun. The "circuit" itself I found probably the worst bit - well, it's arguably better than catching a bus around the place, but it's very linear and seemed fairly flat. That's less of a problem on two skis I guess.
ski holidays
Quote:

I have skied it on a monoski

me too - my left ski got to the bottom before me and my right ski did Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Of course the PDS is a vast ski area and The Wall is one small but challenging part. So, let's not get hung up on skiing around small cars wink

The OP has received some great advice. Mont Chery is a bit of a hidden gem Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I like Mont Chery but I love the Roc D'Enfer circuit more
latest report
worst bits -

wasn't overly impressed with the piste marking when I was there in january - both the static 'road-signs' and the lack of hazzard marking. Ok so the snow was pretty crap in early jan, but coming down a piste over a roller and finding an 6 foot long by 15 foot wide bit of stones where the snow had slid/melted was a little off-putting as there was no black/yellow poles or anything else marking the hazzard.
snow report
You sure that piste was open @bertie bassett ?
snow report
Thanks for so many extensive and informative replies. That's exactly why it's always worth a post on here. I will have to work through some of these ideas alongside the map and get a bit of a plan together.
@skiingwithdemons, I had seen a piece about your book in an earlier thread, and having read your link above, you'll be pleased to know it's gone on to my Christmas list! Perfect reading material for the chalet evenings, by the fire with a beer, while we're away!
Although maybe reading it before I go might arm me with useful knowledge!
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
You sure that piste was open @bertie bassett ?

Yep although they might have hidden the 'piste closed' sign

Happy
latest report
@bertie bassett, we did come round a corner early season in Les Houches, passing a "feeble snow cover sign". So feeble there wasn't any across the whole slope for a good 200m.

Could have been really nasty had one had a bit of speed on... Shocked
snow report
I've only skied there twice, both times in March, and really can't describe/remember the names of where most stuff is, but nonstop runs from the top lifts of the Ardent side of Avoriaz down to the bottom of the Ardent gondola were great both times - beautifully chopped up slushy moguls in the sun, especially the bit that runs by/under the gondola. Lots of fun!
snow conditions
The Prodains run usually holds up quite well too. From Avoriaz it drops straight in to a narrow wooded valley so doesn't see much direct sun - and is usually quiet due to so many people having this phobia about taking skis off, preferring to queue for a chair to a crowded piste over walking straigh on to a gondoloa to an empty one.
snow report
@Mjit, I'm not sure it is any sort of phobia, it's just a forgotten corner, was always quiet even when the old two chairs were in operation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of good suggestions here I second Plaine Dranse area and Linga, it probably my favorite part of the PDS, also has some great restaurants. Word of warning Linga whilst a red, first thing in the morning when its icy can be $%^ing hairy for the first few turns. After that its some lovely skiing and you can turn off halfway down and go check out the new lifts and as someone said carry on round the circuit.

Much nicer direction to do the circuit in now that they have put the new lifts in over the swiss side (less T Bars) plus you can avoid the long blue into Morgins, which picking up on thread title is one to avoid for snow boarders and quite frankly skiers because its very very very very long and funnily enough is usually the only time on a holiday where my legs hurt. Its a shame because I love the Didier Defago run that is another way into Morgins, but you still have to do about half of that blue afterwards which sometimes puts me off. Still that run is amazing one of my favorites, and don't be put of by it being black its more dark red, and there is a blue access to it that avoids the black

Also spend some time in Le Crosets on the swiss side, easily accessible from Ardent, bubble into linderets, up Prolays, drop down Mossettes to the Mossettes lift and then drop into Les Crosets, try and get over the far side there is some lovely tree lined pistes and definately worth braving it to get over there if its awhite out. Or stay in the Linderets if its a white out.

G
ski holidays
@gordonrussell76, last thing in the afternoon on Linga top pitch can be worse - scraped boilerplate alternating with piles of soft stuff. At least in the morning it's uniformly rock hard. In neither state is it good for beginners or timid intermediates.

Completely agree on both the other points
ski holidays
True, we normally hit Linga in the morning as we tend to hit it if we are doing the circuit. If I am just skiing in Plaines Dranse I generally avoid it as I would rather rinse the other runs, there is a lot to do there both on piste and off the sides to make Linga a connection not a desired ski for me. Although I believe it the longest run in PDS or biggest drop in altitude over its length or some such Top Trump Smile When I do have to ski it, I try and stay to the sides in the soft stuff.

I skied it last Christmas couple of days after snowmaggedon and all the snow had blown off the top over night and it was ice and/or rocks at the top. Most unpleasant, but glorious when we got lower.

I also remember skiing the day after Snowmageddon down fork off the mossettes piste that takes you to Brochaux/Mossettes and it had not been bashed, 2ft plus of powder, not a sole in sight, most fun I have ever had on that piste, I was heading to switzerland but I went back up Brochaux and did it again just for the giggles.

G
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Mjit, I'm not sure it is any sort of phobia, it's just a forgotten corner, was always quiet even when the old two chairs were in operation.

I didn't mean that specifically with reference to the Prodains run, it's just been my general experience of peoples reactions that people are with you when you suggest doing run X...until you complete your scentance with "then get the gondola back up.".
snow report
@Mjit, ah, yes, good point. Yep. Totally seen an exploited that
snowHead
snow conditions
I know I'm biased, but in the three times I've been to the PdS in late March I've never seen even half-decent snow down as far as Morzine. All too often there has been nothing but a brown ribbon of slush close to the town. Others I'm sure have had far better luck then me. Happily I've never stayed in Morzine so have been able to enjoy the fabulous skiing higher up/elsewhere. I suspect you will focus most of your skiing on the Les Gets area and Avoriaz (getting dropped off at Prodains).
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Happily I've never stayed in Morzine so have been able to enjoy the fabulous skiing higher up/elsewhere. I suspect you will focus most of your skiing on the Les Gets area and Avoriaz (getting dropped off at Prodains).

Gosh, I didn't realise Les Gets was so much higher than Morzine 😉

Bearing in mind that most of the PDS is pretty low, in March, if you stick to the mantra of East/South facing in the morning (generally Les Crosets area), West/North facing (Plain Dranse/Hauts Forts) in the afternoon, then you'll not go too far wrong.
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Happily I've never stayed in Morzine so have been able to enjoy the fabulous skiing higher up/elsewhere. I suspect you will focus most of your skiing on the Les Gets area and Avoriaz (getting dropped off at Prodains).

Gosh, I didn't realise Les Gets was so much higher than Morzine 😉

Bearing in mind that most of the PDS is pretty low, in March, if you stick to the mantra of East/South facing in the morning (generally Les Crosets area), West/North facing (Plain Dranse/Hauts Forts) in the afternoon, then you'll not go too far wrong.

AFAIK Les Gets is nearly 200m higher. That equates to a temperature difference of just under 2 degrees Celsius. Not insignificant.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, but... how many pistes in Morzine (or pitches if we're with the gnarly) are actually below that +200m line, not many...

It really doesn't matter.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@foxtrotzulu, but... how many pistes in Morzine (or pitches if we're with the gnarly) are actually below that +200m line, not many...

It really doesn't matter.
well, all the ones that come back to the village I presume. And if you can't ski the last 200m of a run it rather puts a kibosh on the first 200m. As I am happy to admit, I have a heavy personal bias against Morzine. I've never seen it with decent snow down to the village and I wouldn't dream of staying there any more than I'd consider staying in Brides les Bains. I know others have had great snow there and had a fabulous time, but.........
snow report
Quote:

well, all the ones that come back to the village I presume. And if you can't ski the last 200m of a run it rather puts a kibosh on the first 200m. As I am happy to admit, I have a heavy personal bias against Morzine. I've never seen it with decent snow down to the village and I wouldn't dream of staying there any more than I'd consider staying in Brides les Bains. I know others have had great snow there and had a fabulous time, but.........

Having skied Morzine and the PDS for the last 12 years or so, I've never really had the snow so bad that I couldn't ski back to the village, may have been a bit thin in places during bad seasons. But, I've only ever skied during half term until I got the freedom to avoid the crowds, now I go in the first two weeks of March and (so far) it's been snow sure, and wonderfully quiet in comparison.... sigh.. But, I don't think I'd risk a precious skiing holiday on the snow conditions the 3rd week onwards in Morzine itself and would probably to stick mainly to the Avoriaz side which keeps the snow for longer.
latest report
MikeM wrote:
Quote:

Having skied Morzine and the PDS for the last 12 years or so, I've never really had the snow so bad that I couldn't ski back to the village, may have been a bit thin in places during bad seasons. But, I've only ever skied during half term until I got the freedom to avoid the crowds, now I go in the first two weeks of March and (so far) it's been snow sure, and wonderfully quiet in comparison.... sigh.. But, I don't think I'd risk a precious skiing holiday on the snow conditions the 3rd week onwards in Morzine itself and would probably to stick mainly to the Avoriaz side which keeps the snow for longer.

I agree. I skied down to town on the last run of the season last year. Sometime in April. It was great! I even have a picture (but no idea how to post!).

Edit - just checked 12th April!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy