Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One to One ski lessons in Alpbach

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

i'm taking my wife skiing for the first time this year. she's always swerved the ski trip but I've finally nailed her down. we are going in March, so it's nice a warm. I've chosen Alpbach because it has a reputation for being very pretty with good nursery and beginner slopes. we are only going for three days skiing, just as a taster...........don't worry i'm going with the boys in Jan to la Plagne for a week, so i'll get my annual fix.

question is does anyone have a good recommendation for a ski school or particular instructor i should book for her to have a one to one lesson?

cheers guys
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

does anyone have a good recommendation for a ski school or particular instructor i should book for her to have a one to one lesson?

I'm sure those who know Alpbach will be along to help - but I'd just like to point out that "a one to one lesson" will be a good start. But she will need lessons all week to make the kind of progress which will give her a decent grounding (it doesn't sound as if she's super-enthusiastic.....).

Private lessons can be terrific but for a complete beginner a week in a group would be much better than one private lesson (and cost no more, probably).

Just one point on Alpbach (which is indeed exceptionally pretty). When we were there (early January, some years ago) the snow on the village nursery slope was too slushy to be much use. So lessons could well be up higher (which is better in many ways, more feel for being in the mountains). When we were there the bus service was very reliable.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gazzaredcruiser, do you know where in Alpbach your hotel is? There are several parts to the village as it is strung out along the valley. There is only one lift in the main village now, all the rest are up the mountain or at Inneralpbach where the ski schools have the most extensive nursery slopes.

All the ski schools will be offering the same deals one way or another and following the same syllabus, so the best idea is to contact them by mail in advance, spell out what it is you want and see what they come back to you with. As you are only going to be there for 3 days, then private is probably the best option - maybe 3 half days (mornings) with a private instructor and then let her practice in the afternoon. All the instructors should speak English, there may even be some native speakers employed there as well.

March is an excellent time in terms of it not being as cold and the days are longer. However we seem to be getting heavy snowfall later and later in the season with some big dumps occurring in March these past few seasons. So be prepared for both sunny warm weather as well as very snowy days. The advent of snow cannons has eliminated the problems Pam encountered 20 odd years ago. They can be used in Austria until March 15th I believe, so the base is pretty well ensured right through the season these days. wink

This link takes you to the listings for the ski schools:
http://www.alpbachtal.at/en/winter/skiing-alpbachtal/skischools
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice thus far imparted. i have booked into the "Hotel Romantik" Boglerhof of course because i'm smooth Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thought i'd also take her to Hemmel for a lesson the week before we go as a taster......good idea??
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BTW way Pam, i'm in Chichester too!! spooky
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpbach is great, From personal experience i would choose the blue ski school "Alpbach Aktiv"

They are very good and patient. My son is 5 and will be in his third year with them. My wife often likes to have a private lesson but is willing to share with up to two others and if they have a group like this it makes it easier than being in a group of ten but also a little more interesting than on your own. (the split cost is a bonus too. I would contact before going and am ssure they wil be able to offer you something suitable.

The boglerhoff is very nice and is next to the nursery slope in the village. The lessons are at the top of the mountain but some afternoon practice on the bogler slope is always handy.

The place is so friendly. No exciting apres as such though.

The postalm is my favourite bar and some great food in there too. That said everywhere does good food and all pretty reasonable. Joes bar is good for lunch as is the chicken hut just above it in inneralpbach.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@gazzaredcruiser, yes, some time at Hemel would be excellent though it's a big long way from Chichester. If she's fit one of the "learn to ski in a day" courses at one of the indoor centres might be worth looking at, as you'd have to drive so far. But not recommended for someone not used to being active - might be too knackering.

It wasn't quite 20 years ago I was in Alpbach! And the problem was very warm weather - some very nice sunshine, but not great for the snow. Was OK up the mountain.

I don't know if it's still the case but when we were in Alpbach there was a farm right in the middle of the village where (indoor) cows were being milked each day. And a proper old fashioned bowling alley which we all enjoyed. Hopefully it's not all been Bognerified!

If your wife takes to the skiing don't risk spoiling it by taking her somewhere, after the lesson, where she's not skied with her instructor.

The instructor my OH and I had in Alpbach had worked in Loughborough for 3 years and spoke superb English. Our group lessons were all day, IIRC. I think we made more progress that way than we would have done pottering round doing our own thing in the afternoons.

Is your wife active in other forms of exercise/sport? If not, some gentle persuasion to be more active might be useful. There are loads of suitable classes, including indoor cycling, at the Westgate Centre!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As you are only skiing for 3 days, you probably won't get to the point where you would ski with her over to Auffach side, but if you do, do not get her to ski back down red 13. Get the Gondola back down all the way. It gets tracked out quite quickly and I know a few nervous intermediates that really dislike it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for Alpbach Aktiv - superb ski school with lots of great instructors, many of whom are native English speakers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My other half was in a similar position three seasons ago so I plumped for Alpbach in March. Conditions were ok and we lucked out with Alpbach Ski School. Booked group lessons but she ended up, effectively, with private lessons with native English-speaking instructors. One old boy - David, I think - was a real character and full of stories which helped ease any tension. We did get over to Auffach by the end of the week and we enjoyed the very gentle reds on that side. Mrs went down in the gondola while I skied red 13 - icy but fun! Mrs now has own boots, dead keen, keeps on about a new ski jacket etc etc. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks one and all,

Catherine is a very fit Toofy Grin 53 year old, she is a size 8! and dog walks for England and now swims at the Nuffield 3 times a week. i will get her to do some squats just to firm up those thighs but otherwise i think she's good to go!

good advice about not risking her down anything other than easy stuff. when we go with the boys we always end up tempting the novice down a red with the usual results of a required change of pants! and clicking off and walking down!

i'll make sure she skis within her comfort zone, although if she's anything like my daughter.......last year Lucie (23) came skiing for the first time... i gave her a dad lesson and by the end of day one she was almost parallel ! She had a lesson on day two and then skied the rest of the week with the main group! it took me at least two weeks to get to that level, mind you they didn't have carver's in my day, just two planks and no helmet!!

thanks for the tips on bars and restaurants, my plan is simple...........take her to Austria's prettiest village, ski in sunshine, lunch of the veranda of a beautiful mountain hut eating Tyrolean rostie and kaiserschmarrn, easy run home and a great dinner in the evening! Hopefully she will fall in love with the whole package and will become a snowhead! she's not a party animal so Apres is not so important, save that for Jan with the lads Toofy Grin

thanks for ski school tips i'll try Alpbach Aktiv
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy