Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heated Footbeds

Poster: A snowHead
All,

Can anyone recommend some heated footbeds. No matter what I try I still get cold toes in my boots so was thinking maybe some footbeds are worth a go.

Ta
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chrisrawles, I have some. Thermic ones I think
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, How long do they last?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chrisrawles, TOH has SIDAS ones http://www.sidassport.com/en/our-products/winter-sports-16-2.html She suffers from Raynaud's and so heated feet and hands are essential.

Battery packs have been replaced a couple of times (the original ones had plastic clips which broke) but the insoles themselves have done ? >300 days? Her ones are, I think, the ones you add to existing insoles.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And am I right in thinking these replace the current liners in the boots?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@chrisrawles, I got mine from CEM at Solutions4Feet in Bicester last year. I think they are Thermic, just had a look on his website and can't see the exact same ones, but they were very good and I would not be without them now.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am looking at these ones https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Therm-ic_Powerpack_Set_Basic_SnowboardSki_Bootwarmer_Set-(65210)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chrisrawles, they've been in my boots for about 5 years.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chrisrawles, SIDAS have a version where you simply apply the heating elements to the underside of existing footbeds and then cover them with protective tape.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My thermic ones attached to my existing footbed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Found a set on Amazon for £50. Think I might have to give them a go.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did you get them
What can you tell us about them? are they hot / warm / cool?
how long to the 4 x AA batts last
What did you buy to recharge the AA batts.

Im looking into this area at the moment but am not impressed with the £140 price point in stores (especially as there are 4 of us)
Peter
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Peter Groom, I can't see them necessary unless you have medical conditions requiring them. Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have hotronics and they are great. However if I were starting out again I would consider the heated socks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, I don't have a medical condition, but do sometimes suffer from cold feet on very cold days, no matter how warmly dressed I am elsewhere, and even if my boots are properly dried out and I wear the right socks. If my feeet were cold by lunchtime it might mean I stop for the day, the heaters mean I can still be skiing at 4pm. But the whole family certainly don't need them.
snow report
Sorry, @Hells Bells, I should have been more verbose, 'twas too late at night, I should have been asleep.

@Peter Groom, by 4 of you, you mean your family including children? Do you all really have such cold feet? I'd have thought better boot/sock management would have been solution #1 for investigation. I.e. ensure boots are well dried at night and warm when they are put on. Thin (NOT THICK) socks and well fitting boots.

I would think that 4xAAs a poor solution for power. Mrs U gets through pretty much a complete Li-Ion pack per day if it's cold. Ordinary AAs are going to be bulkier, heavier and will turn out expensive at 4 per day (if that's the consumption).

@Hells Bells, Our GP reckoned that by his literature something like 40% of women have clinically significant Raynaud's at some point in their lives even if undiagnosed (and not generally causing enough problems to merit a visit to the vet. Certainly I know quite a few ladies with boot (and glove) heaters and no gents.
ski holidays
yes by 4 - i mean 2 adults and 2 teenagers

No actual medical issues, but do sometimes have cold feet, and 1 daughter often has very cold feet so I think she has poor circulation on coldest days.

Cost of batteries is not an issue. I work in an industry where they are available in massive quantities to anyone who wants them.

Boots are ALL brand new and professionally fitted with custom footbeds.

What Im interested in is the ACTUAL experience of users who have the £140 products etc, and how the person who bought the £50 amazon option found them.

Dont neccesarily think we "need" them, but see no reason why we shouldnt be warm for a few quid
Peter
snow report
Given the general simplicity of the products, I imagine they all work in a similar way when new. The SIDAS ones have particularly compact battery sets. We haven't shopped for new ones in a while so I'm not sure of the competitive status.

I would guess if it's for a couple of weeks a year and the AA battery packs aren't ginormous, they're probably good enough.

Mrs U skis 60 or so days a year with them. The elements must be on their 5th season or so. She could not ski without them. They make a very big difference.
ski holidays
When I had heated footbeds with battery packs clipped to boots it wasn't too easy to prevent their being clonked by chair lifts. The rechargeable battery packs are better and my heated Lenz socks are better still, with a small battery top right at the top of the sock (ie well above boot level) and controlled by an app on my phone. I do feel frightfully whizzy.....

IME these things don't make your feet feel warm - it's not the equivalent of a hot water bottle. It's just that they don't actually get cold. If you have them dialled right up from first thing in the morning the batteries probably won't last a whole day.

I don't suffer terribly from cold feet - but skiing is such an expensive business overall that treating myself to heated socks seemed worthwhile in terms of maximising the pleasure returns on my investment. wink I do ski a lot though. I'd not buy them for one week a year.
snow conditions
@Peter Groom, Hi Peter sorry for the slow response. I am still dithering over what ones to get vs maybe getting some more expensive socks that are of a better quality than the ones I currently have. However I get cold toes in the summer at work so I have always suffered a little with cold feet/toes. These are the ones I am looking at - http://www.therm-ic.com/ThermicSoles/ThermicSoles/Trimfit.html
latest report
@chrisrawles, it is not unknown for males to suffer from Raynaud's ...
snow report
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a set of Thermic heated soles. I have the Maxpower battery pack as I think the normal AA ones would run out before I even got warm!. Once I get them and try them out I will report back.
latest report
@chrisrawles, I use the hotronic e3 and they do a great job of keeping toes from getting cold. One stopped working recently and I miss it, hoping for a replacement heat pad soon. I think you'll appreciate the thermic ones too.
ski holidays
@balernoStu, this is good to know. I did look at the Hotronic ones, but Snow and Rock had a good deal on and Therm-IC seem to have good reviews after much research. My only concern is clipping the packs to my boots. I'm worried a chair lift might catch them
ski holidays
@chrisrawles, I clip them on the power strap at the front and never had a problem with them there.
snow conditions
I have used the Therm-ic Universal Powerpack Adapters on my last 4 pairs of boots, and they provide a very solid mounting point, which stays put when getting in to or out of your boots. They also neatly hold the end of the cable for the insole if you are not using the batteries, so they don't flap around.

They fit in the mounting points for your power strap (at least on Tecnica or Atomic).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/therm-ic-Universal-Power-Adaptor-Black/dp/B002QT0SCS/ref=pd_sim_200_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41kp4EtX6vL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR119%2C160_&refRID=15VNZTXR5SM7Q8BQH2XE&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
Im on a board!
ski holidays
chrisrawles wrote:
Im on a board!

Lol! Ok power strap fitting advice is maybe no help.

I thought boarding boots would be warmer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy