Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski tuning kit

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a basic ski tuning kit, can anyone recommend one?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/tuning-equipment-kits.html
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, it's a bit over my budget though. I was hoping to only spend around £60. Is there anything cheaper that would be alright for the job.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Demon and Dakine both do home/travel kits, (got the Dakine one) Places like JibTuning sell those and their own kits, like @spyderjon, albeit less comprehensive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bendiddley, buy once buy right!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Black Friday offer on ebay, £73

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ski-Snowboard-Tuning-Universal-Tuning-Kit-Wax-Base-Edge-Wax-Iron-/331469113966?_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D563e66c1e4b0d4fbbb0c6a70%26rpp_icid%3D563e66c1e4b0d4fbbb0c6a68
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:

+1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+2
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:

Yup. I bought some cheap stuff a year or so ago but soon realised that I needed better kit. I've boosted Jon's Christmas fund a bit recently and most of the original stuff I bought is now just gathering dust in my shed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Remind me; whats that old saying about bad workmen? Skullie
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bendiddley wrote:
Thanks, it's a bit over my budget though. I was hoping to only spend around £60. Is there anything cheaper that would be alright for the job.

It depends on what you want. If you need vices then even the cheapest seat will use up all your budget. I had a pair of Vola Hobby Vice (c.£60) that I replaced with a 3 piece HOLMENKOL Super Pro Plus. Those are much better than the Vola but they are £90.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This was my order from Jon. You might not need the base prep wax or Zardoz but even taking those out of the equation you are still looking at £90 plus the cost of the vices. You may then need to add a bench to that if you don't have something already:-

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bendiddley, Have you tried the usual discounters? Glisshop, Ekosport etc. Those two have an extra 20%, Glisshop until tonight and Ekosport until Friday
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gaza, The sidewall stripper is the first thing to loose if you are on a strict budget. You would generally only need it on skis where the edges have been thinned considerably.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PowderAdict wrote:
@Gaza, The sidewall stripper is the first thing to loose if you are on a strict budget. You would generally only need it on skis where the edges have been thinned considerably.

That's not true. Many skis these days are shipped with their sidewalls flush with the side edge meaning that they have to be trimmed prior to the first edge tune.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, My mistake, I bow to your infinitely greater knowledge.
ski holidays
PowderAdict wrote:

Speaking as a mechanical engineer, the first thing I'd lose is the diamond file lube. Next the base edge guide (in 35 years I've never done them with a file), then [possibly] the sidewall stripper.
snow conditions
hmm. Regarding the diamond file lube - is this necessary? Does this clean the files and well as lubricate them? I have never actually cleaned my files, is this the best way?
latest report
The sidewall stripping thing still confuses me (although I have one and use it having been told by spyderjon that I needed to!).

Sidewalls are materially softer than a metal or diamond file. Why doesn't the action of filing the (hard) metal edge remove the right amount of soft plastic sidewall? If I were to file 2 different woods, or a composite item with wood and metal, the biggest problem is not over-filing the softer component.
ski holidays
@snowdave, the softer sidewall material simply clogs the file & it won't. A big gnarly file like a milled file in a 7 degree side edge guide will usually cut it but it'll leave a pretty rough surface. Most shops will machine the edges & the machines are powerful enough to take off the sidewall material at the same time so they don't need to remove it first.
latest report
I found myself in need of a sidewall stripper last winter, but that was after many services on a particular pair of skis. I couldn't find one anywhere in Chamonix – either shops had never had them or heard of them, or had only ever had maybe 3, and had sold them all. Everyone just told me to take the skis to Concept Pro and stick them through the machine, which would have been a temporary fix at best.

In the end the guys at Sole had one and did the sidewalls for me – top blokes Smile I won’t have need of one again for ages – I wouldn't say it’s a commonly used tool, but when you need it, you need it.

For me it was pretty obvious that my files were getting clogged up with sidewall material, and it was hampering my work. It just made everything a lot slower and less efficient.

(Fyi, all my servicing kit is from @spyderjon, and it’s top notch. I got some extracleaning wax from him again this year as I’d run out, but everything else is still going strong. Getting a sidewall plane from him at the same time would have saved a bit of hassle NehNeh)
ski holidays
Y'know, I've never needed a sidewall plane, but now I'm sure that I want one more than anything I've ever wanted before!
This is the spirit of Black Friday!
snow conditions
@Lilledonmarco, diamond files should always be used wet/lubricated. In general engineering an oil based cutting fluid is the norm however an oil based lube would penetrate the p-tex base & it can't be removed, inhibiting wax absorption. Anything wet & non oil based will do, ie water, snow, spit, beer etc. The best non oil cutting fluid is alcohol based - mine is 50% denatured alcohol, 49% distilled water & 1% rust inhibitor Cool
ski holidays
regarding the sidewall stripper - as donmarco jr is racing, I have used mine a bit already. Also on my skis...especially when I went from 88 degrees to 87 degrees on some of my skis. Its fun to use Happy
latest report
Depending on what you want try:
http://www.jibtuning.co.uk/tuning-shop/tuning-kits/complete-servicing-kit.html
snow report
@spyderjon, thanks , that makes sense now!
snow report
+1 on the quality of tools that @spyderjon sells.
All top notch.

I got the advanced kit off Jon + some extra bits n bobs including a sidewall planer (he does 2 different ones; I went for the pro version) but, alas, I forgot to order the ba5tard file! Embarassed
And I need to change the side edge angles on 2 pairs of skis...

So I'll be getting the big, bad, ba5tard file of ya @spyderjon, when I see ya on Tue for the QK! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy