Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Dryers vs Heaters

Poster: A snowHead
Suppose the clue could be in the description, but given that I've no experience with either, which are the best to go for . . .or are either really worth it at all?

Your advice and my potential chrimbo pressie (I usually buy myself presents these days) would be appreciated - cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both, if you get cold feet. I have heated socks.... Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't really get cold feet . . .was more about drying them out at the end of the day . . and a bit of indulgence in the morning

ie. Dryers obviously dry but do they warm effectively / warmers obviously warm but do they dry effectively?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No and No.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lol - So the question is - do I 'need' both . . .?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having recently been forced to re-acquaint myself with the antediluvian standards of the French hotels in my price range, I am tempted to say get both.

If however you decide as I have, to re-join civilized society and ski in Austria Toofy Grin (or the Dolomites), then you will need neither.

I have yet to encounter a 3 star hotel in either area that doesn't have a heated boot rack or locker room.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Belch, If you have your own boots and customised footbeds, then the boot dryers in the boot rooms of hotel and chalets can damage those footbeds.

I take my boots back to my room, and wipe them dry on the outside. Then I pull out the liner, footbed and baseboard and leave these to dry separately overnight in the heat of the room.

I have a set of these, and they work great. I did have the blower-dryers, but they can get damaged in your baggage easily:

http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/shop/products/2014-15_Thermic_Ski_Boot_Warmer_230_V_UK.htm

So I pop these in my liners before dinner, and then put them in the boots before bed. Then I reassemble the boots at the last moment in the morning, so when I put them on they have expanded somewhat and are soft and easy to put on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dryers for removing the moisture between at the end of the day. Boot heaters for keeping the plastic soft on the way to ski. I live in Alberta. Things are different here...super cold temps but powder skiing in November. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have no chance of getting the liners out of my boots, especially with custom footbeds which fit ..... like a glove. My elderly and arthritic hands just won't do it. My boot outer is transparent, so I can see if there is condensation in there (answer is yes, after a day's skiing). I have cold air blowers in my wardrobe and leave them on that overnight. Then I have a warm air blower thingy which sits in the boots for a bit before I go out, so they are warm and comfy to put on. And if it's cold I wear my heated Lenz socks......

@mozwold, The Mountainsun hotel in Tignes, which is definitely 2 rather than 3 star, has excellent boot warmers - though they do have to cover the controls with gaffer tape to stop the dopey guests turning the heat up and damaging their boots. rolling eyes

If you get just one thing, I'd get the warmers linked to by @PeDaSp above.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Belch, to dry your boots you need a air blower which does not contact the footbed of your boots.

I have had thermic ones for years, this is their current model that should be around £30. They also do a slightly more expensive version with a useful timer and UV bacteria control to help stop stinky boots.

http://www.therm-ic.com/Care-Systems/Dryer.html
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a fan of the Themic dryers used by PowderAdict.
Not sure you need the more expensive version with UV - think that's just a marketing gimmick - the smell comes from leaving boots damp: bugs love damp, hate dry.
So i pop the dryers in at the end of the day to dry them our, and then again at breakfast so feet go into lovely warm boots.
The warmth also makes putting boots on a little easier coz the plastic is a little more pliable.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have got customised footbeds, so def don't want to damage them . . .looking at my needs (and my generally warm feet) I'm putting the Thermic Dryer prong thingy on the x-mas list . . .thanks for all advice
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim wrote:
I'm a fan of the Themic dryers used by PowderAdict....So i pop the dryers in at the end of the day to dry them our, and then again at breakfast so feet go into lovely warm boots.
The warmth also makes putting boots on a little easier coz the plastic is a little more pliable.
+1. And I don't take the liners out either.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
Jonpim wrote:
I'm a fan of the Themic dryers used by PowderAdict....So i pop the dryers in at the end of the day to dry them our, and then again at breakfast so feet go into lovely warm boots.
+1. And I don't take the liners out either.

+2. I can get the liners out but it isn't easy, so they stay where they are.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have Sidas custom footbeds and use the Sidas Dry Warmer which works fine for me and doesnt damage the footbeds. They also have a UV light which they claims helps with freshness by killing bacteria.
I transport them in the boots so no breakage issues
snow report
We leave our boots for 10-12hrs every night (after use) with cold (well, room temp) air blowing through. As they never stay damp they never seem to get any bacteria (smell) issues. As they don't get the 'hot' air treatment the liners and footbeds are at no risk. The blower was circa €50 from the DIY shop, it does two pairs of boots at a time and is rated at some super low wattage so we don't worry about having it on for about 600-700 hours a year.
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, that sounds like my dryer, which is stuck on the wall in the cupboard where boots are kept.
snow conditions
We've used something like these for more years than I care to try and think about http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snowboard-Tool-Icetools-Boot-Dryer/dp/B005JQXDNQ?tag=amz07b-21

MY boots do gradually get stinky as I suspect that the passive drying isn't really drying between the liner and the shell so maybe something with a blower would be better. But these are extremely portable...and go anywhere our boots do. Never had a problem with melted insoles.
snow report
@midgetbiker, what does it look like? or have you a link? that sounds like something I would fit in my boot room. Something like this? http://www.auvieuxcampeur.fr/hiver/equipement-de-la-personne/tout-pour-les-pieds/atelier-du-pied/seche-chaussures/seche-chaussures-amphora.html
snow report
@under a new name, yep, that's the badger. That's a good price too, I paid about €50 from the DIY in Chx Sud/Pelerins (but then I didn't have to drive down the valley).

At €45 (£30 these days) I think I'll have another so I can dry more than 2 pairs at once.

It's also perfect for hiking boots (even leather as there is no heat) and gloves (even leather blah blah).

Only drawback is it's a bit noisy so not perfect for a bedroom, ours is in the living room but I screwed it to a board so it can go away in the summer (even if you didn't do that it would just dismount and leave a couple of screwheads on the wall).
snow report
PS I think maybe the DIY shop in Chx Sud has stopped stocking them, don't know about there branch in Pelerins. Clearly VC has them, but I'm sure i saw them in the big DIY in Sallanche (by the supermarket & McD at the new autoroute junction). Think that VC price is the best I've seen though.
snow conditions
mine's exactly like that, too. Fixed to the wall in a wardrobe (in living room) where boots are stored during the season. Great for damp hiking boots, as @midgetbiker says. I think I bought mine in Sallanches - probably the big DIY place. Was cheap. It makes a slight noise - would prefer not to have it in a bedroom though it would be infinitely preferable to my snoring. Embarassed
snow conditions
i've got a set of the warm air blower type... that also has outlets for your gloves. Lovely.

however, having made the incredibly stupid mistake of leaving my ski gear including boots in the car boot overnight, in a freezing cold hotel carpark, before the final 1 hr trip to the ski resort.... oh, dear. frozen boots are not very comfortable.

since you realistically will often purchase a boot bag... rather than separate heaters i'd next be looking at the heated boot bags - Atomic do a good version , they will warm and dry your botts etc and can be plugged into a car 12 v socket also for maximum comfortable warm feet.
latest report
@coops1967, no need. turn the heater up and drive to the slopes in your boots.
ski holidays
coops1967 wrote:
i've got a set of the warm air blower type... that also has outlets for your gloves. Lovely.

however, having made the incredibly stupid mistake of leaving my ski gear including boots in the car boot overnight, in a freezing cold hotel carpark, before the final 1 hr trip to the ski resort.... oh, dear. frozen boots are not very comfortable.

since you realistically will often purchase a boot bag... rather than separate heaters i'd next be looking at the heated boot bags - Atomic do a good version , they will warm and dry your botts etc and can be plugged into a car 12 v socket also for maximum comfortable warm feet.

This, i have the atomic heated bag and its great, only problem with it is you have to carry your boots back to the room.
snow conditions
coops1967 wrote:
warm and dry your botts

Oooo I'd love a warm, dry bot.... Embarassed
snow report
Don't do what a friend of mine did and leave them too close to a wood burner overnight . Woke to lovely dry boots but a melted a hole in the liner, luckily the hole was not in a critical place above the top of the shell so he could still use them.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
coops1967 wrote:
warm and dry your botts

Oooo I'd love a warm, dry bot.... Embarassed

Sounds like a visit to the doctors might be pertinent here . . .unless its simply an age thing . . .? Very Happy wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was having trouble finding an ambient air boot drier for travelling with and ended up re-purposing these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002NVC1DS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01&tag=amz07b-21

with a second set of fan grilles attached...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008HNW62M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00&tag=amz07b-21

They sit nicely on top of a pair of boots, run off a standard 5v USB charger, are virtually silent and take up very little room in my luggage.
snow report
These are bliss

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy