Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom kit recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Jnr is starting gate training. He needs handguards and shinguards. Any recommendations on shinguards?

He has these poles http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-race-c6/race-ski-poles-c22/head-world-cup-slalom-ski-poles-2014-p2990 and Head seemingly don't sell a handguard to fit. Any recommendations on a universal fit handguard?

Also, what is the deal with FIS and non-FIS helmets?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hammerite, surely something from here could be adapted to work?

http://www.ultrafun.fr/gb/114-btons-racing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, this is what I was thinking. As long as I screw the guard in to the top of the handle and clamp around the pole it should be ok. But I asked in Ellis Brigham if there was anything more to it and they just confused things!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@hammerite, it is surely not that complicated... Puzzled

can't imagine that many EB staff race?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hammerite,
Rules on helmets below for GB competitions on snow

2.3. Helmet Dispensation Applicable Until November 2016
In accordance with the dispensation granted by FIS, for all U10, U12, U14 and U16 events, helmets that conform to the FIS Equipment Regulations in force for 2012-13 (EN 1077 A and/or ASTM 2040) are still valid until Nov 16. Helmets with higher standards can be used and early adoption of the higher standard helmet is encouraged.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, the race kit selection in the shop isn't great, but I gather that a few at the MK store used to race when younger even if they don't now. I wonder if they are only aux fais with the kit they sell rather than provide general advice (although I'd probably have bought the Leki guard in the shop had the advice been more positive).

Will prob go for http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-race-c6/race-protection-c24/leg-guards-pole-guards-arm-guards-c89/scott-pole-guard-contour-half-short-18mm-p950 or the the full guard equivalent.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 23-11-15 21:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scot_Ski, thanks. So the Non FIS thing that appears on some helmet specs means that the helmet won't be allowed after Nov 2016? Which means it's pointless getting him a new helmet unless it is FIS approved.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@hammerite,
The mushette has the Scott junior pole guards on K2 poles and they work perfectly OK, pretty universal depending on the pole shaft diameter.

As for shin guards, how old is he - will he be skiing poles or stubbies (as they are fecking expensive shin pads if not)?

Similar for FIS spec. gear. What competitions do you envisage racing in?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I was racing I used dainese shin guards. They were pricey but lastest years and years and were far superior to the leki, Scott ones out at the time. As for pole guards I used the half junior ones to start and they were fine until I was clattering through gates. Then I needed full guards and gloves with knuckle guards - check out tkmaxx for those as they normally sell the reusch ones
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@musher, he's 14. I don't think he's going to be competing for a bit, but will be training. Not sure what size poles he'll be using yet. I've not been to any of his sessions for a while, the OH has been taking him, she says the ones he was using last weekend were 3/4 size.

@PaulC1984, we regularly see the Reusch ones in TK Maxx, but always in really small sizes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@hammerite, Where is he training?

Ive never know 3/4 size, they are normally stubbies or full size.

As for gloves, I got a medium adults pair last year but I just had a look on the site and theres none at all this year - typical tkmaxx, just luck of the draw
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@hammerite,
I think if he's over 11 he will be using poles.

The Leki shin guards are popular at our club, but as the mushette is only 8 they would just be a fashion accessory.

I don't know if he would need any special spec. helmet or not without knowing what competitions he would ski in, but one with a chin guard would be good if he is skiing poles. I can't remember reading anything about it for Snowsport South races.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Defo go for a chin guard. At 14 the helmet will last him a few years, and a chin guard saved my teeth more than a few times!

regards hand guards, given hes 14 id be really tempted to get a set of full hand guards rather than the halves. they are a doddle to fit and again it saves you buying more in the future (mine have lasted 12 years and still going strong!

Not sure where you live but most of my kit I got from

http://www.skibartlett.com/ski-race-c6

or

http://www.lockwoods.com/ski-race-protection/cat_243.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skibartlett are the best place for race kit if you are anywhere near
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hammerite,

Buy the new FIS Reg helmet, the regs have been changed for a reason! Bruised knuckles/shins hurt for a while whilst a head injury could be serious. POC helmets seem popular & are not too expensive.

Hand guards are easily interchangeable between different types of poles unless you have Leki.

Shin guards are not really that necessary as your sons boots should hit the gate first, although they appear to be a fashion statement Laughing

It's nearly xmas so Santa could help out with the cost Puzzled
latest report
a lot of our racers, especially the younger ones go on the hunt on ebay, shin guards especially get bashed up quickly, sorry stewart completely disagree with you shin guards are a must otherwise he will shy away from the poles as they hurt, if you watch any races a lot of poles are taken with shin guards and not boots.

Pole wise leki with the trigger gloves are the most popular and full guards. Helmets, probably the one item I would advise to get new you don't know where a used one has been or whats happened to it.

Most clubs have members growing and so a of kit tends to be readily available to buy second hand, just ask around, someone is bound to know someone wanting to move some kit on.

Shinguards themselves, don't be afraid to hunt ebay in france and Germany as well you can get some good bargains

good luck to junior!!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
@hammerite, if he's skiing full gates, definitely get him a chinguard with the helmet. that's the first thing i'd get
snow conditions
Thanks all, the chinguard thing was definitely happening. It's just he has more of an idea of what he would like in a helmet (he's usually mentioning POC and £250!) than the other kit. I just wanted to check why non FIS ones are being sold still.
@PaulC1984, the helmet should last him for years, he's been needing a large adult helmet since he was 11 - if his head gets any bigger we'll have problems! (much like we do with his feet).

He's been told to get some shinguards which is the reason I'm looking for them. Are they all much of a muchness?
snow report
He's been told to get some shinguards which is the reason I'm looking for them. Are they all much of a muchness?[/quote]

Depends how he skis

I could never be without then - If my book hit the gate I tended to bend buckles, if my knee hit the gate it sodding hurt. Shin guards protect both! (and they look cool obviously!)
ski holidays
@hammerite, the new helmets are for gs,sg & dh, he wouldn't need one for sl or for dry slope

there's also usually a few pairs of used shinguards up on various facebook groups (skibay etc) for cheap
latest report
Thanks all.
ski holidays
hammerite, The new FIS rules don't apply to slalom, there are special offers of older helmets that can take a chinguard right now, you could get a newer helmet later if he wants to start training giant slalom.
snow conditions
If he is a member of a race club check if Bartletts and/or Ski Racing Supplies – www.skiracing.co.uk - do a discount for his club. We get 10% at both.

My 8 year old has all the kit. Most of it largely unnecessary but all his friends have it so he had to.

He has cheap pair of SL poles with KOMPERDELL universal guards. They don’t have top screw but provide full protection when coupled with his Leki race gloves - http://skiracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_41&products_id=256#.VlWjKDZFD4Y

He also has a cheap pair of Scott GS poles (from Bartletts) that I easily added the Scott guards (again from Bartletts) - http://www.ultrafun.fr/gb/btons-racing/2564-protec-scott-mains-slalom.html

His shinnies were from Alpine Imports – http://www.alpineimports.co.uk/epages/pnxm7am8prhe.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/pnxm7am8prhe/Products/%22p%203230%22/SubProducts/3230-0006

I picked him up a Dainese SLALOM JACKET from a race club FB page for £20. It is identical to this - http://www.alpineimports.co.uk/epages/pnxm7am8prhe.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/pnxm7am8prhe/Products/P20389 That was bought more for his desire to do some freestyle but he wears it when training.

He has a Salomon Race (non-FIS) helmet with a chinguard but as it will be a few years before he is in an age group that will require a FIS approved helmet he will be fine.

Just looking at that little lot reminds how much he is costing me!
snow report
Look for kit on Google Germany it's way cheaper than buying in the uk, just bought my daughter new skis and poles and was amazed how much cheaper stuff is over there.
ski holidays
https://www.glisshop.co.uk/accessories/protection/racing/
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:

An extra 20% off on Black Friday.
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:

An extra 20% off on Black Friday.
latest report
Thanks all. Yes we get discount from Bartletts. I'm also a fan of Glisshop - nice to see they have 20% off. And having a load of stuff on sale on eBay at the moment will hopefully leave a stash in Paypal to use on eBay Germany.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy