Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste closure cover

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at buying insurance for our trip to Saas Fee in the New Year, and I cannot find any specific mention for piste closure cover in snowcard's or snow club of GB policies. Does anyone know if I am covered?

Dog tag is clear on this, but a tad more expensive than snowcard or snow club of GB (the later is very competitive on price). I have also found another broker/company who have very competitive rates but I have never heard of them (which worries me) called oinc. Has anyone heard of them?

May thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@psyxologos, I use snowcard but have never thought about Piste closure cover. I can only think of 1 holiday in what must be 40 by now when there wasn't at least 1 lift open to avoid saying closed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it a thing? I know that due to weather resorts close sometimes - maybe once a season on average. Bigger and more spread-out resorts are better positioned to avoid having to close completely, as they are more likely to have at least some areas/slopes and access to them on unaffected aspects. How would you claim it from your insurance company? Would you need a letter from resort saying that they were not open on a particular day? Too much hassle I suspect for it to be worth it. In Saas-Fee the area is big and it's close enough to Zermatt, so I am sure you will find at least one slope and lift (Zermatt has underground lifts) in the vicinity that will be running and no claims will be accepted if this is the case.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@psyxologos, I wouldn't worry about it. Any resort I know ensures at least on lift runs (even if only a bubble or cable car) as the insurance afaik only pays out if every single lift on you pass is closed for the full day.

You really need a situation such as in Val d'Isere about 15 years ago when avalanche danger above the village was so high that inhabitants were told to stay indoors for about 48 hours for it to pay out. At which point you have bigger worries.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about it.

+1
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@never summer, Do you have any more information on when and how that happened? Sounds like an interesting story!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@LeFou, areas of the Monterosa for example can be quite wind affected...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
L2A closed twice when we were there in January Mad

Our insurance (through our bank account) paid out for both days Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kiteman69, how much?
As mentioned above, Piste Closure cover really not worth worrying about - resorts strive to keep one or two lifts open to make sure they never pay out.
L2A obviously had a very bad day in January - would be interested to know details.
As far as i know, no resorts in Tarentaise has such a bad day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonpim, if you think about the LDA topography, you can imagine that high winds could shut them down.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used my insurance (one of the benefits of my bank account) to claim for this at the start of last season when Courchevel was closed (no snow) and we had to bus round to Val Thorens for the BASI course I was on. They paid for the bus.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They also tend to pay out only about £20 a day which doesn't help much anyway. Also, many policies won't cover you if you are staying in 'ski resorts' such as Brides Les Bains, Zell am See, Morzine etc. as the towns are too low to be expected to have consistent snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LeFou, In 2011 in December Verbier had to close due to high winds and too much snow twice, though second time it was after Bruson already opened so doesn't count. Also the same season they had to close a few days earlier too - too much snow the weekend before, followed by very high winds. That was the year when they had to call off PdG after it already was under way. It was very calm at village level so we thought "whatever" and skinned, hoping to hang around mid-mountain, but we had to turn around to avoid being blown off the mountain. I read reports from other people and it pops up from time to time that some places couldn't open on a day, but it takes a combination of wind and snow and a specific resort (or time of the season when not areas can be open yet) where exposure cannot be avoided.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I actually I had this in saas fee twice in the past. I was insured by dog tag and we got a letter from the main office which we sent to the insurance and they paid out. So it does happen, I just cannot remember if one of these two occasions I was with snowcard or someone else. The other occasion was definitely with dog tag...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Update: It turns out Snowcard so offer a piste closure cover at £30 per day, which is higher than others. They are slightly cheaper for a family of four for 'regular' skiing as well, so I booked with them. Still a lot of money for 2 adults and 2 children for a week's skiing at £99...
snow report
@psyxologos, £3 a day isn't a lot of money for want you will get if you have to claim. My claim with snowcard was €5000....settled without a quibble
latest report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@psyxologos, £3 a day isn't a lot of money for want you will get if you have to claim. My claim with snowcard was €5000....settled without a quibble
I'm guessing that this wasn't a claim for piste closure?
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, it was the broken leg night storage heater incident which I've never been allowed to forget
snow report
It is not un-common for Saas-Fee to close all mountain lifts due to either high wind, avalanche risk or often both, as high winds often follow heavy snow fall.

If Saas-Fee is shutdown then often the other two main Saas valley resorts will be shut as well. Zermatt is the best part of 2 hours either way by public transport, and since you would probably be waiting until 10:00 for a closure confirmation, it is not an option.
ski holidays
Surely if the resort doesn't open any lifts then they will simply refund you? I'm pretty sure this is what happened when pas de la casa was closed for a couple of days many moons ago due to too much snow and high winds?
ski holidays
@joydivision, I don't think they all do, nor for days of a e.g. week's pass.
snow report
joydivision wrote:
Surely if the resort doesn't open any lifts then they will simply refund you? I'm pretty sure this is what happened when pas de la casa was closed for a couple of days many moons ago due to too much snow and high winds?

Saas Fee do not. I just got the letter and in both occasions it was enough for the £30 per person insurance pay out.
snow report
@psyxologos, correct. The locals and most Europeans are amazed that we can get insurance for piste closure.
latest report
@Jonpim, £30 each/day......£120.

But would have preferred to ski though
latest report
Each 'ski day' costs me from £110 to £150. If skiing wasn't possible I'd like that back....Doubt that would happen.
ski holidays
I'd quite like my day-rate back. Unless you earn less than £30 a day then this doesn't sound like great economics.

For what it's worth in 30 years skiing & snowboarding across the world I've never had a "can't ski" day anywhere. I've had a couple of days where you probably wouldn't want to: blue ice when Livigino was rained on; wet snow when Cypress was rained on. I doubt your policy would pay out in either case (lifts were open/ snow was there), but even so that's £60 I could have pocketed... at a cost of.... not really adding up for me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy