Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aravis - La Clusaz- Le Grand Bornand - Manigod 2015-16

Poster: A snowHead
Thought I'd do the honours this year! Looking forward to the forthcoming season, kicking off with the ski test weekend at LGB on 5/6th December. Hope to see some familiar faces there - GVJ?!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey, not sure where to post this, as its not really a weather question. Am spending a month in LGB from new year pretty excited to spend so long in the alps (am gonna do some remote work). Anyhow anyone got any NYE tips. My girlfriends coming out and we were wondering if there is anything nice to do.

I know this is a weather thread, so I should keep it a bit weather related. Webcams looking pretty good after this weekend right...its a start...Also looks like they have the cannons on at LGB.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arriving for Christmas week this time round, 19th December
Got lucky with Xmas week 2 years ago but usually go mid January.
2nd trip to LGB already for our 15 month old
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@escooler, Hi there. Whereabouts will you be staying in LGB? We are based in Chinaillon which is further up the mountain and from where the skiing is accessed - although there are 2 bubbles up and a run back down to LGB. I would say that as far as NYE is concerned there will be plenty of people having a good time but it will be more bars and restaurants than any wild party raves. There is a nightclub in Le Grand Bornand (Lalu?) by the bridge but have no idea what it is like as never been there. It could be an option if that's your sort of thing. Have a wonderful time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks @loatie, we are staying down in the main village, not really looking for a nightclub or anything, just wondering if anyone had any good restaurant/bar suggestions would be welcomed.

Really looking forward to seeing the weather change over a full month, it will be the most time I have had to spend on my snowboard.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@escooler, There are quite a few bars and restaurants round the square - ranging from snack bars, pizza restaurants etc through to quite high end stuff. It's not a huge village so it won't take you too long to get a good idea of where you would want to be. Bar Pub Les 2 guides which is right in the corner of the market square is very nice and I'm sure will have a lively atmosphere on NYE. If you want to eat out, you'll need to book early. As you're there for a month have you thought about getting a full Aravis lift pass which will give you access to La Clusaz as well? With the Aravis pass you can get the ski bus from LGB to La Clusaz and it will give you some great variety for your skiing. If you buy before the 12th (?) December it's at a discounted price.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well done kicking off the thread this year @loatie. We're in the UK at present but hope to be in LGB for the ski test.
@escooler, can confirm that Les Deux Guides has a friendly vibe. The tourist office are super helpful too and will be able to tell you what's due to happen by way of entertainment on NYE.
Here's hoping for a great start to the season!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowscreen, Looks like we're doing much the same thing - leaving Essex (Maldon) Dec 18th evening, stop overnight near Reims and arrive in Chinaillon on the Saturday 19th for the week. Hoping for better than last year - we left on Snowmaggedon day....

Looking good on the cams so far.

Dave
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A couple of lifts and runs opening this weekend. There is also a new piste 'Myrtilles au Maroly' running back from the Prarian drag to Chinaillon.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cams looking good
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, it's a shame that the Maroly one doesn't show the Terres Rouges restaurant anymore. The depth of snow on it's roof and how hard they were having to work to keep the decking snow free was always my favourite remote guide to what the true snow depths were like on the hill.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all, heading to Chinaillon on the 17th Dec. Out of UK on the Thursday, arrive Friday and get the extra day in hotel for nowt. Very Happy
Loatie, could I ask a couple of questions please?
1. We are all confident on Blues but not great on Reds, are there enough runs without getting a full ski pass or would you suggest getting La Clusaz in there too?
2. The good lady doesn't ski. Are there any restrictions on pedestrians on the lifts? Occasionally, in the past, she has been refused on one or two elsewhere but not many.
Thanks for your time
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GaryCantley Re 2., is she going to be snowshoeing or hiking? There are lots of snowshoe trails in the resort and both the Joyere and Rosay bubbles allow piétons. If your hotel is up in Chinaillon then there are snowshoe trails heading up Lac run and near Serpentine. There's also a nice walk through a farm off the road up to the Col de la Colombiere that avoids the ski runs but emerges at the highly convivial Chalet du Maroly which makes for a good skier/walker rendezvous. Have seen very few non-skiers/boarders on the chair lifts, I think only allowed in special circumstances but @loatie may know more....
As for 1. Really depends on what your ambitions are. If you want to cover lots of kms then go for the Aravis pass.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Occasionally, in the past, she has been refused on one or two elsewhere but not many.

I'm quite surprised by that. In the Espace Diamant (not far away) only a small minority of chairlifts allow pedestrians.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GaryCantley, following on from comments above, non skiers can take the floria lift up from chinaillon and there is a very nice restaurant - the panoramic - at the top to meet up at. I have a feeling I may have seen pedestrians on the terre rouge lift too which departs from near to the chalet du maroly which gvj mentioned. Makes sense in a way as there is another restaurant up there (with very comfy outdoor sofas!) with lovely views back down towards chinaillon which can be enjoyed by skiers and non skiers together.
I would echo what gvj says re aravis pass - if you prefer to stay on piste and like to tick off the Kms you may want the variety that la clusaz combined with lgb gives you. However, it's perfectly possible to enjoy the blues for a week in lgb alone. If you have your own transport, you could always just drive to la clusaz for a day mid week and explore it with a day pass. I'm not sure how cost effective that is without looking at all the tariffs but it may work out a bit cheaper than an aravis pass if you're not sure you really need it.
ski holidays
Thanks to both @Loatie and @GVJ.

Good lady is not a great walker either, medical probs, but I'll have a look at the walking bits as enjoy a walk now and again. Smile

We are staying in the Le Village de Lessy, could you tell me which lift is closest please?

Thanks
ski holidays
A short walk to a nice spot where you can sit, by the fire if it's cold, or on the terrace if it's sunny, and read a book, followed by a short walk back again is a very pleasant way to spend a morning or afternoon. Doesn't have to be heroic hikes. But very important to have good warm clothing and properly non-slip boots. They have plenty of non-slip things you can put on the soles, if in doubt, at Amazon. You can't enjoy a walk if you're worried about slipping over. A pair of walking poles can be very helpful too.
ski holidays
The closest lift is the floria. The village de lessy is right opposite the tourist office and just behind that is the public lift which takes you down to the road level that the ski lifts depart from. It's a short walk from there. If she doesn't fancy that, there is always the ski bus which goes from outside the front of the village de Lessy or if your apartment is nearer to reception the bus also does a loop round there and she can hop off at a number of stops near to the lifts. At the base of the chatalet lift are a couple of nice bars with terraces in the sun. There are also bars/restaurants at the base of the gettier and outalays lifts and the bus can drop her there. Sorry if my spelling of the lifts isn't quite accurate! As well as doing a loop around chinaillon, she can catch the bus down to lgb - good on a Wednesday as they have the market in the square every Wednesday. The wellness centre at village de lessy is a very pleasant place to while away the hours - swimming pool which looks out over the pistes, jacuzzi, steam rooms etc and also massage beauty treatments etc (which you have to pay for) if she fancies that. The reception area itself is very welcoming with nice log fires and comfy sofas.
latest report
We took a snowshoe hike above Chinaillon yesterday and took a look at the new LGB piste. In fact we walked down it!
In the first photo you can see the run stretching down towards the Chalet de Maroly.

The second shows the view down the (not yet opened) new piste from the bottom of the drags below Terres Rouge.

When we first heard that it was a green piste we weren't too excited but we think it'll be a really pleasant addition to LGB, expanding the domain as it does.
ski holidays
Great pics @gvj, Just got back from the ski test weekend. Well attended event and nice to see all the pre season activity in Chinaillon. The snow coverage was pretty good for early December - always good to see white rather than green at this time of year - although wearing thin in places. Strangely on Saturday night, the ice on the pavement was treacherous outside the apartment but it didn't seem to be that cold. Sunday skiing was much better in the afternoon once it had softened up a bit on piste. Lovely runs down from Maroly and Gettiers lifts. More snow now would be very welcome to consolidate the first fall of the season.
latest report
Not sure whether I'm more puzzled or pleased to see that LGB are open again this weekend coming, ahead of the official opening date............ Admittedly only a few lifts - basically opening up a bit of the Maroly Sector. However, the last 'snowfall' was only about 5cm a few days ago and I would have thought more than that was needed to really freshen up the pistes after the ski test weekend. Having said that, the pisteurs have always been excellent in LGB and obviously they know what they're doing and what they can achieve so that part of me is very pleased to see their confidence in the conditions. Supposed to be clear and sunny over next few days so there are worse ways to spend a weekend!
snow conditions
Please don't wear it out Tess! I'm still clinging to the possibility of a bit more snow around the 15/16th
Enjoy the sun
snow conditions
@MazDave, Hi Dave! Don't worry - I'm writing this from gloomy Hampshire! We're hoping for that snow 15/16th too as our daughter is home from Dubai for Christmas school holidays and pursuaded us that a few days pre-Christmas skiing for her to get her 'snow fix' would be a good idea.... Will be there for a flying visit 20-22nd. Am keeping everything crossed.
snow report
I'm afraid that the precipitation the other night fell as rain as predicted below 2000m. It has become very mild here, so snow making has ground to a halt. All in all, not good. Our friends at Chinaillon did ski the Maroly sector last weekend, but, unsurprisingly there is no midweek skiing here at present.
Hate to pass on bad news, but looks like an even worse start to the season than last year.... Sad
ski holidays
LGB planning a limited opening tomorrow for the holidays. Details here http://www.legrandbornand.com/a-voir-a-faire.html
As last year they've been working hard trucking snow down from the Col to supplement the artificial stuff.
snow report
Arrived in Chinaillon this morning - a barmy 9 degrees at 1030.

Suddenly cooled down this afternoon about 2ish but seems to have warmed again but not by much.

Have heard that Aravis is shut, my ski pass included that area and they are refunding the full week over there so not good news.

Have also heard that the snow makers should be on overnight, but obviously temperature dependant.
ski holidays
Out today, not may runs open, as gvj said in his link.

Was very warm out there with very little under the jacket and trousers.

Maroly is ok on the Blue run but the red is nearly back to grass.

If you're out this way, take care.
snow report
Heading up from LGB side tomorrow morning, our 1st day up there.
Hopefully they'll be enough to keep us entertained for a few hours
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsjw3fvwy5.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps58xbmjag.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsndeqycgk.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswvfjec9y.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n215/DPS1984/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpswvfjec9y.jpg

Few pics from LBG today
Hard and icy first thing but good fun a bit later on.
Snow cover just fine on Le Lac and Maroly pistes
Violettes back to LGB side was interesting

Apologies for 1 pic, got engaged on the slopes today
Very Happy
snow report
snowscreen wrote:
Apologies for 1 pic, got engaged on the slopes today
Very Happy

Awesome Happy Many congratulations!
snow conditions
Here's a very short video showing the conditions Maroly side.
Good coverage across the piste.

http://youtube.com/v/Ntgz0SVe9ME
snow conditions
@snowscreen, Wow, congratulations......your news is the most exciting thing on any weather thread in the alps at present. Many best wishes for the future from us both Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
May have also captured the proposal on camera.....
Should have really picked a location without a gradiant

http://youtube.com/v/k18O_TWy2tI
snow report
Congratulations!

We ran through there a few times today - was actually impressed at the snow conditions all things considered. Will be back up tomorrow enjoying the snow and maybe getting a tan too....
snow conditions
@snowscreen, many congratulations from us too. We arrived for a whistle stop couple of days today. Had a good few hours this pm. around maroly and gettiers. Top effort by the pisteurs to keep some runs and links open. Very pleasant having lunch in the sun but very bizarre for December to be skiing in such spring like conditions. Sadly we were advised by the lady in the ticket office not to go for a 3 day pass for our daughter as rain forecast for tomorrow Sad In common with a lot of other resorts, snow desperately needed especially for the forthcoming new year onslaught. Luckily due to its north facing slopes lgb has done well to offer some skiing this week.
ski holidays
@snowscreen, many congratulations from us too. We arrived for a whistle stop couple of days today. Had a good few hours this pm. around maroly and gettiers. Top effort by the pisteurs to keep some runs and links open. Very pleasant having lunch in the sun but very bizarre for December to be skiing in such spring like conditions. Sadly we were advised by the lady in the ticket office not to go for a 3 day pass for our daughter as rain forecast for tomorrow Sad In common with a lot of other resorts, snow desperately needed especially for the forthcoming new year onslaught. Luckily due to its north facing slopes lgb has done well to offer some skiing this week.
ski holidays
Raining this morning Sad
Forecast to continue all day Sad Sad
snow report
Didn't bother yesterday due to rain. A very cold night means that everywhere is pretty icy today - not as good as Sunday.

Still, the food and sunshine at the Chalet du Maroly are still first class
ski holidays
Last day here today - currently sitting on the balcony getting a tan.
I feel sorry for anyone arriving tomorrow - there won't be much left to ski on. Gettiers and Chatelet lifts still running but skiing is on thin ribbons of snow. Forecast doesn't look much better in the short term.

We saved a lot of money on ski passes this year but that's scant consolation. Makes me wonder what to do next Christmas - two bad ones in a row makes me nervous. Jackson Hole looks tempting...
snow conditions
Last day for us here in LGB today too.

For the amount of white stuff on the ground the conditions couldn't have been better. WELL DONE to all the staff keeping the pistes open for us.

Moved the car about 1500 this afternoon and the temperature plummeted to 10 degrees C.

Good skiing had by all, even if it was on limited runs.

We did notice the lack of locals, never having to wait for lifts was great. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy