Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR: Beacons Ho! 2015-16 Winter Season in the Brecon Beacons National Park

Poster: A snowHead
SATURDAY 21 NOVEMBER 2015

Yr Eira Gyntaf - The First Snow

Derek the Weather called for snow overnight Friday into Saturday and Mother Nature delivered.

Glorious sunshine and snow cover practically top to bottom on Cefn Crew.

Easy hike up and an interesting ski down. Barely a scratch Smile

Ready to drop in
Fan Fawr from Cefn Crew

Cefn Crew ponies

Making turns on Cefn Crew
(Nerys Royal pics)

Back at the A470, skis intact Very Happy

The Photographer, Nerys

Today's playground, Cefn Crew

Fan Fawr

Plenty of cover on Fan Fawr and Pen-y-Fan, just fancied skiing a new line.

Little top up and a hard frost forecast for this evening.

Heading over to Mynydd Ddu - The Black Mountain tomorrow. Was there in November 2013 but didn't ski it. Hoping to rectify that tomorrow

SR : Wales 2013 / 14
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2388201&highlight=wales+brecon+beacons#2388201

SR : Wales 2012 / 13
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92399&highlight=mike+pow+wales

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 21-11-16 9:12; edited 10 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fair play. I never knew you could get skiing on such a light dusting. I'm going to have to rethink my life!
Anyone skiing the shropshire hills??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
letsgetpiste wrote:
Fair play. I never knew you could get skiing on such a light dusting. I'm going to have to rethink my life!

Cheers.

And maybe rethink your style.

Need to ski on a flatter platform with patient, long radius turns. Too edgy and you'll be over the handlebars sharpish Smile
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers @Mike Pow, this is pretty inspiring stuff.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
letsgetpiste wrote:

Yes, but not been out as yet. Some info & pics from years past in this thread. Web cam links to the mynd too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mike Pow, Nice one snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers@AndAnotherThing.., I'll get looking for that thread! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=92360
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good work Mike Pow Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great pics, and interesting comment on the skills required. I'd guess skiing that kind of thing sorts the men from the boys (technique-wise) far more than all but the most challenging stuff with a decent layer of snow on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ChrisWo wrote:
Great pics, and interesting comment on the skills required. I'd guess skiing that kind of thing sorts the men from the boys (technique-wise) far more than all but the most challenging stuff with a decent layer of snow on.

Thanks.

Yeah learned through trial and very many errors Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like Nerys' Hues.

Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well done, that is so cool. The funny thing is Mike, that when you are enjoying your 30th day of deeep powder in Hokkaido it will be this day that will stand out as being really memorable.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
altis wrote:
I like Nerys' Hues.

Wink

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Good work, @Mike Pow; I was looking across from Gethin on Saturday, wondering if you might be somewhere in the distance. Smile
snow report
Cheers all Smile
latest report
ChrisWo wrote:

Thanks.

Yeah it can be quite tricky. Much more difficult on a board unless you straightline it Smile
snow report
rungsp wrote:
well done, that is so cool. The funny thing is Mike, that when you are enjoying your 30th day of deeep powder in Hokkaido it will be this day that will stand out as being really memorable.

Thanks.

You're right. These days are to be treasured. Some of my best days on snow have been in these hills Smile
snow report
Custard the Rabbit wrote:
Good work, @Mike Pow; I was looking across from Gethin on Saturday, wondering if you might be somewhere in the distance. Smile

Ta.

As a South Walian skier you have to live by the mantra 'if it's snowing, I'm going' Wink
snow conditions
SUNDAY 22 NOVEMBER 2015

Brecon Beacons turns are like croissants, best enjoyed fresh.

The sun took care of this storm. Rain on the way Sad

Central Beacons from the A470

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 21-11-16 9:16; edited 5 times in total
snow report
Great stuff Mike - I wondered whether you were skiing at the weekend! we were mountain biking as we had friends over (also at Gethin on Sunday). I'll be more prepared for the next snow...
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, somehow I missed this thread: I'll be keeping an eye out for Welsh turns over the winter for sure snowHead
ski holidays
@Sharkymark, @Mike Pow, mikePow's and Idris's threads are always snowheads highlights for me. One day I'll make it to Pen y Fan on one of those days in @Mike Pow, photos. Fantastic
snow conditions
Sharkymark wrote:
@Mike Pow, somehow I missed this thread: I'll be keeping an eye out for Welsh turns over the winter for sure snowHead

Short season in Japan this winter. Back on 18 January. So hoping for some Jan, Feb & March turns. Will keep you updated. Be great to ski together again.
latest report
Chamcham wrote:
@Sharkymark, @Mike Pow, mikePow's and Idris's threads are always snowheads highlights for me. One day I'll make it to Pen y Fan on one of those days in @Mike Pow, photos. Fantastic

Cheers.

Welcome amy time.
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Sharkymark wrote:

Short season in Japan this winter. Back on 18 January. So hoping for some Jan, Feb & March turns. Will keep you updated. Be great to ski together again.

Give us a shout, I'm up for a drive down if conditions look good.
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, for sure! snowHead

I'll finally be making it to Japan for a couple of weeks in Feb snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will do boys.

Bloody typical you're heading over and I'm heading home.

Honshu? Hokkaido?
snow report
I guess you service/rebuild your own skis - 10 out of 10 for effort, at least you can get a good edge hold in the grass and mud!
ski holidays
Charliee wrote:
I guess you service/rebuild your own skis - 10 out of 10 for effort, at least you can get a good edge hold in the grass and mud!

No, leave that to the pros.

If there's a decent covering then rock damage is less of an issue than the grass wiping the wax off.

Got to get off the edges and pivot a flatter ski.

Edge hold = rapid deceleration and over the handlebars time Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, in answer to your question to @Sharkymark, Hokkaido is the plan. Into Sapporo 6th/7th Feb and out again two weeks later. What happens between is still flexible, but will undoubtedly involve a hired vehicle and some poking about. Open to suggestions.... Very Happy After that, I'm hopeful for a bit of Beacons snow too; not managed to catch any the last couple of years.
ski holidays
Custard the Rabbit wrote:
@Mike Pow, in answer to your question to @Sharkymark, Hokkaido is the plan. Into Sapporo 6th/7th Feb and out again two weeks later. What happens between is still flexible, but will undoubtedly involve a hired vehicle and some poking about. Open to suggestions.... Very Happy After that, I'm hopeful for a bit of Beacons snow too; not managed to catch any the last couple of years.

Good time to go.

Great snow cover, great chance of regular dumps, Sapporo Ice Festival, Otaru Light Festival.

Hiring a car is highly recommended.

Plenty of resorts to visit within a four hour radius of Sapporo.

SW - Sapporo Teine, Sapporo Kokusai, Tenguyama, Asari, Kiroro, Niseko United, Niseko Moiwa, Rusutsu
Central - Furano, Yubari, Tomamu, Kamui, Sahoro, Asahidake, Kurodake
ski holidays
Storey arms looks white on the web cams. Anyone local advise on conditions? Thinking of a bit of kite skiing on Sunday.
ski holidays
I saw that too. I was hoping to take a look at Cwm Llwch with skis on Saturday - if I get any luck, I'll let you know...
snow report
PS - if any of the Brecon skiing experts have any suggestions for good spots, I'm all ears! (looks like N / NW winds)
ski holidays
Coming down nicely and Forcast for most of the night. Should be loads tomorrow and if it doesn't thaw too much the weekend looks promising. Typical as I'm off on the bash on Saturday.
snow report
I happen to be at a work do in Celtic Manor on Saturday night. Pen Y Fan ain't exactly a million miles away. Hmmmm...
snow report
Do it
ski holidays
I'm on my way down to Italy so not well placed to report on conditions, but when I left yesterday the snowline was 1000ft with daytime temperatures struggling to get above freezing. Got to be worth a shot!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy