Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Used skis tips for beginner-ish skier

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone! I'm a beginner-ish skier looking into buying a pair of used skis for this season as a cost-effective alternative to rentals. I live rather close to a nice ski area and I’d like to practice a lot this season (i.e. spend as many Saturdays as possible there) but renting –even for the season– seems very costly (this is crazy-expensive Switzerland, after all!). This will be my third season but I have only about 10 days of experience in total -which I guess is very little- although at the end of last season I felt alright doing parallel turns and I could already tackle some red (intermediate) runs. For this season, I'd really like to improve my turning technique (particularly on steeper slopes) and also work on controlling my speed, as sometimes I get quite freaked out when going too fast. If possible, I’d like to be able to do a black run (at least one of the less demanding ones) come April.

I’ve looked into buying used skis –both in actual shops and online– but I’m quite lost when it comes to the models and terminology, so I would greatly appreciate any guidance. I am 1.74 m tall (5 ft 8.5 in) and weigh 68 kg (150 lbs). After starting with 158 cm, my rentals last season were 163 cm. Would it make sense to look for something with that same length? Also, last season I rented three different models -Stöckli Axis Pro, Atomic VA 73 and Head Shape Two- and I felt that they went from “most difficult” to “easiest” in that order, although I’m not sure if that’s just a consequence of the fact that I was improving, or if that actually had something to do with the skis themselves, but probably I should aim now for something that doesn’t feel too “easy”, right?

As for the boots, I already got a pair of well-fitting entry-level boots (Nordica Cruise 60) which I hope I can continue using at least for this season.

From the ones I can see that are available online within my price range, these are a few models:

- Head X-Shape STX 123/68/107 R11.1 163 cm
- Head i.Titan 127/77/113 R12.4 163 cm
- Head i.Magnum 120/71/106 R12.4 163 cm
- Head i.Supershape 121/66/106 R11.4 165 cm
- Atomic Redster LT 120.5/74/103.5 R15.0 166 cm
- Völkl RTM 60 126/80/107 R14.6 161 cm
- Blizzard Magnum 7.6 122/76/105 R14.0 163 cm

And well, there’s many others, too! I've read good reviews online for the X-Shape STX and the Titans, but would they be suitable for someone of my ability or are they geared towards more advanced skiers? I’m a bit confused, so any tips and recommendations would be super helpful. Many thanks for your feedback! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am not familiar with all the skis you mention, but the ones I have skied on (Head Magnum) are a pretty powerful ski and need a lot of effort to edge. I think my advice would be it is too soon in your ski career to be buying. Your needs change fast as you progress and your lessons develop your skills. Keep hiring for now. You instructor will tell you when you are ready to progress.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have the Atomic Redsters. They're basically a de-tuned Giant Slalom ski. Very good for big turns on hard pistes, but not so good on soft snow as they're narrow underfoot. I'd be looking for something with a bit more width than these - those Head Titans sound about right.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The above are all advanced carving skis, none are overly versatile either. For my chums who are begginers most of them are on something like a Rossignol Experience 84, they do shorter lengths and since they have a bit more width and tip rocker they will be a lot nicer for exploring the mountain on. Personally the skis you listed are all really just piste skis, anything with a sub 70mm waist is a bit twitchy for all round use.

Something like a the smaller (waisted versions 74, 80,84) Rossignol Experience line, Blizzard Latigo would be a touch more in your area. When I was at your ability level I went for the Fischer Watea 84 which was nothing sort of brilliant which is another option to consider.

It comes down to preference at the end of the day, I hated the head magnums when I demoed them as they were just to soft and twitchy. I'm used to skis that like to turn as I now have a set of FIS slalom skis for snow domes and Scotland and I've owned a few pairs of GS skis.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skis that you listed are not exactly beginner skis and with only 10 days under your belt you may have problems. Go to any big sports store and check entry level intermediate skis, then try to find them online. Also if you go to big stores like Migros Sport or Oschner in January prices will be lower.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When I was in the same position as you, after a lot of research, I bought some K2 Impact 127/80/109 in 174 length which is about 5cm shorter than me. It was marketed as all mountain, intermediate to advanced, versatile etc. I think it was a good choice to process my skiing. I think you could look for an all condition/all mountain ski with 80-85mm waist, in 165-170cm length.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@never summer, has it right. The OP has TEN DAYS under his belt. Should not be buying skis yet, least of all the ones on the list. He needs to learn to ski first, and unless he was born skiing, there will be a lot to learn yet.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
He lives near the slopes and intends to do a lot of weekend day trips - right pain in the back bottom, time consuming, and costly to rent each time. Better just to turn up with your skis and click in and off you go.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think you need something fun to ski (thats why you're doing this) and grow into a bit. Don't get something way over your level, you won't enjoy it. But the bonus of having your own skis is as above, click and go, no dramas. Also you will know they are tuned and waxed, blunt skis on ice is terrible for your confidence. Do some reading of reviews and what the manufacturers say they are for, see if you can try them first.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many thanks for the tips and the recommendations! Good thing that I didn't go crazy and bought something right away. I definitely see the point that buying is perhaps a tad premature, but unfortunately, renting for each day trip is very uneconomical and would definitely limit my plan to get as much practice as possible. However, I think it might be a good idea to rent different skis at least a couple of times towards the end of the season and try to get a feeling of how different skis work (I hope to have improved enough by then to notice).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Catalysaurus Rex, I'd say all the skis listed are probably not suitable for you. I'd suggest a more versatile intermediate ski. Try looking for Rossignol Experience 80 (or a number lower), or Salamon X-Drive 8.0

You want to be looking for a ski that is light and flexible. I'd also suggest not going too wide at this stage and stick to a piste ski.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Catalysaurus Rex, there should be some ski shops in Zurich providing rentals that would do you a season deal. There were a couple in Geneva, and the offering was very popular - Zurich being a bigger city should have some options too... Put a post on glocals or expatforum and someone should be able to point you to a good shop.

That way you can also change skis fairly easily during the winter too as you get better.

Edit: or here's one to start, season rentals for 'basic' skis between 190-250chf. http://www.skirental-zueri.ch/en/vermietung.php
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@fixx Thanks a lot for the link! A friend had mentioned to me a shop which had season rentals at a decent price and it seems to be that one! 190-250 CHF doesn't compare badly at all with buying a used pair and I didn't know that you could change your skis during the season. That seems like a big plus.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about the Head Rev 85 Pro (the 163 cm version)? Reading some reviews it appears to be a versatile, not-too-demanding model. Would it be more suitable for my level, or is it perhaps too wide?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skied some Head X-Shape's last year and loved them, though I don't know if they were STX ones or not. I found it much easier and softer than the i.Magnum's, which I agree with everyone else are way too difficult for anyone with 10 days skiing. They might still be a bit much for someone with 10 days skiing, but seem like the most beginner-friendly of the ones above.

Edit: scratch that, a quick Google and I found they're not the STX ones I tried, they're X-Shape Race (http://www.ekosport.co.uk/head-x-shape-race-pr11-wh-bk-15-p-1-30466.html). They were lovely as easy-going piste skis though, felt like nicer versions of the skis I was given as a beginner and a world away from the Magnum's (which are lovely skis, but a bit beyond my ability/fitness as they required too much work/tecnique), so they might work well as an first ski. Having said that I wouldn't buy anything like that without trying it out - I know my skiing goes to pot when I try to use skis beyond my capability!
snow report
Maybe Rev 75's or 80's will be a bit more user friendly.
ski holidays
I've rented for the season near Geneva (Gland) and found it very reasonable. In your situation I really would rent until you find a pair that suits.
snow report
Hello! Well, I've done a bit more of research but I'm still undecided between buying a used pair or renting, although I'm certainly leaning towards the latter now (although I remain very much on the lookout in case a good deal comes).

Reading a bit more of reviews and stuff in the forum, it seems to me that a ski with a 75 or 80 mm waist would be the most suitable, as I will be doing all of my skiing on-piste, correct? (which I guess is the rationale behind CAPTA1N P's suggestion of the Rev 75 or Rev 80?) Are there any opinions on the Völkl RTM 7.4 or the Völkl RTM 75? The RTM 7.4 seems to be aimed particularly at beginners. Do you think it could be a match?
snow report
You are in switzerland, can't you find or rent some nice stoecklis?
snow report
Well... I guess I will probably [and deservedly] earn some rolled eyes, but in the end I've taken the plunge and went for a pair of Völkl RTM 75 iS (in 166 cm) Madeye-Smiley The thing is that, although they are second hand, they have never been used, and the price was pretty good (just a bit more than the cheapest season rentals). Since I had seen some good reviews and I can't resist a good deal, here I am now with a pair of skis. Shocked

Any comments on what I should expect? Embarassed Unfortunately the weather will be pretty poor this weekend, but I can't wait to try them out!
ski holidays
I tried a pair of those last year and got on with them pretty well actually. They were flexible enough to be easy on the legs but carved reasonably well and were easy to get on edge (guessing this is the tip rocker's doing - one of my favourite modern innovations), and they were nippy enough for tight-ish turns without feeling twitchy. I don't recall them being anything special or amazing, but given your needs that doesn't seem like an issue. The proof is in the skiing, but I'd have thought they'd be just about doable for someone with your experience, especially as you'll likely get better quickly doing a lot of skiing over the season, and should serve you pretty well for a while.
latest report
I think you've made a good choice. Get them waxed and tuned and you're good to go.
ski holidays
I've skied with RTM75 (non is) 174 for three years now. Great allround ski! They behave nicely in higher speeds too. Maybe not the best carving ski ever but on a wide, fresh piste very enjoyable with the longish radius. Edge grip is excellent. Even they are classed as a beginner-intermediate ski, you can advance with them a long way as you need to 'command' them to get the best out of them. I'm 186cm, 88kg intermediate.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy