Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EASYJET - Ski poles no longer allowed!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Perty wrote:
Is "Iryna" a real person or a computer generated user friendly international sounding name to use when creating an algorithm to respond to general queries? Her responses don't sound like they come from a real person.

So what you are asking is would Iryna pass the Turing Test? Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As presumed by others ,The new T&c's are poorly written or deigned for you to be made to pay extra charges.
I have spoken to easyjet customer sevices and they confirm that ski poles/crampons/ice axes can be carried in the hold as they come under the definition of sports equipment so, as long as you pay your £60 rolling eyes you are good to go!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Love the fact you can't take darts in hold luggage, Eric Bristow must be turning in his grave!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forgot to add a +1 for the sports equipment rip off. Would have been much cheaper to have bought an additional seat for my skis rather than pay for them to go in the hold and hope they join up with me on arrival.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowsartre wrote:
Love the fact you can't take darts in hold luggage, Eric Bristow must be turning in his grave!!!

Or he would be if he had departed this life - I think he's still with us Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Eric Bristow must be turning in his grave

Despite the fact he's not dead.

It's all absurd. An airport will happily sell you a large glass bottle of flammable brandy and a lighter to take on board but security freaks out of you've nail clippers in your carry on.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bobhitch, that's embarrassing, very Mark Twain, shall we go with Jocky Wilson instead? Skullie
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowsartre wrote:

I'f he was dead maybe, but he's alive and kicking.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a Swiss Army knife taken off me at Geneva. My fault as I'd forgotten to put it in my hold bag. When I got through to the departure lounge I could buy another one. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geepee wrote:
I had a Swiss Army knife taken off me at Geneva. My fault as I'd forgotten to put it in my hold bag. When I got through to the departure lounge I could buy another one. rolling eyes

That gets me!!! That knifeshop airside in GVA Shocked Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Who uses ski poles?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does make you wonder.

I was on a flight last year from dubai. As we were loading stuff into the overhead locker I noticed a guy next to me with a key chain (similar to a dog chocker chain) with a penknife and several keys attached Shocked

I informed the flight staff and they said they couldnt approach him as he was of ethnic origin and they didnt want to offend/ cause racial tension rolling eyes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@altis,
Quote:

Nowhere on the CAA's list of dangerous items can I find any sort of sharp or pointy thing:

From the CAA website -
Quote:
"Dangerous Goods

International standards allow passengers to carry dangerous goods either in carry-on baggage, checked baggage or on their person. However, passengers should be aware that airlines and security screening agencies have the right to refuse the carriage of certain dangerous goods and additional restrictions implemented by countries may limit or forbid the carriage of some items in the interests of aviation safety.

Certain sharp knives, ammunition, guns and certain scissors are banned from being taken into the cabin of the plane, whether in hand luggage or on your person."

Quote:

It requires zero cynicism to deduce that this is simply a money making exercise. Shame on them.

It also requires a degree in conspiracy theory and a slight lack of common sense. Which of the following is more likely? That they simply made a c0ck up of their new baggage instructions, or that they want to go through all the hassle, complaints, admin etc. just to raise an utterly insignificant amount of extra revenue?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It also requires a degree in conspiracy theory and a slight lack of common sense. Which of the following is more likely? That they simply made a c0ck up of their new baggage instructions, or that they want to go through all the hassle, complaints, admin etc. just to raise an utterly insignificant amount of extra revenue?

+1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm struggling to work out how they'd know what was in your checked luggage.
ski holidays
@under a new name, X-ray. All luggage is scanned and sniffed.
ski holidays
WHAT?!? Unless you declare everything, how else are you going to enjoy a righteous froth battle at check-in with a minimum wage drone who couldn't give a tinkers toss if you fly today or not? I mean, if you just say "yes" and smile, what'd be the point in having printed out and highlighted 20+ pages of airline Ts & Cs along with the CAA handling guidelines. It's like you JUST DON'T WANT to stand there arguing the point with a series of sub-ords for an hour and delay everyone else!
ski holidays
under a new name,
Agreed. We will continue to put our trekking poles in with our check in bag for our hiking trips to the Alps.

A couple of years ago they got their knickers in a knot regarding ski boots in hand luggage. They created similar confusion then and I recall a lot of debate on here at the time amongst confused snowHeads.

At Newcastle bag drop we were once asked if we had ski boots in our hand luggage, "as they arent allowed."

In response I held up my wheeled trolley case & said yes. The check in assistant shrugged her shoulders & said, "Oh. I suppose they should be ok in there. " Puzzled Very Happy
snow report
@geepee, @sarah, I don't think you can actually take them on the plane though, I believe you have to have them posted to your home address (but I could be wrong about that).
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
under a new name,
Agreed. We will continue to put our trekking poles in our check in bag for our hiking trips to the Alps.

A couple of years ago they got their knickers in a knot regarding ski boots in hand luggage. They created similar confusion then and I recall a lot of debate on here at the time amongst confused snowHeads.

At Newcastle bag drop we were once asked if we had ski boots in our hand luggage, "as they arent allowed."

In response I held up my wheeled trolley case & said yes. The check in assistant shrugged her shoulders & said, "Oh. I suppose they should be ok in there. " Puzzled Very Happy
snow report
I wonder if it is more a case of the damage a ski boot bag containing a heavy pair of boots could do to a fellow passenger if it fell out of an overhead locker than you using it as an offensive weapon?
latest report
@johnE, but would the scanning agent be briefed on what each airline allowed and didn't? I really don't think so...

Given that Queasyjet explicitly contradict themselves (i.e. ski poles explicitly allowed in Sports Equipment)
latest report
Hells Bells
I'm not sure how they could argue that - given that there is no Easyjet weight limit on hand luggage. They say that as long as you can lift your handluggage unaided into the overhead bin it's allowed. Then again, they seem to contradict themselves so often they could argue anything!
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@altis
Quote:

It requires zero cynicism to deduce that this is simply a money making exercise. Shame on them.

Given that they have done this with ski boots - technically they're not allowed in hold luggage but should be classed and paid for separately as sports equipment - I think it's more likely about money. Skiers tend to be pretty wealthy as it's an expensive sport, and there aren't many options as cheap as EasyJet to airports near the alps, so finding a way of charging them an extra £20-30 is likely to be a nice little earner. The only distinction between boots or foldable poles as hold luggage or sports equipment is price. There are likely to be extra costs involved in taking skis or other oversized items, hence the extra charge for them, but banning boots and foldable poles from hold luggage seems pretty clearly a way to charge a slightly-better-off group a bit more money.

I've never had an issue putting them in my hold luggage anyway - I'm rarely near the 20kg limit and I've never been asked if I have boots in there (though they have usually asked if it's in hand luggage, and friends of mind have had to repack boots into hold luggage because of this) - but I imagine they'll be a few confrontation-averse people who'll see boots listed as sports equipment and pay the extra for them anyway to make sure it's ok. I imagine the same is true of poles. Why else would they allow them as sports equipment but not as hold luggage?
latest report
@Drogue, If I was flying anywhere I would want my ski boots in my hand luggage. Or on my feet.

I strongly think that whoever put together the web page was confused and not idiot proofed.
snow report
Quote:

banning boots and foldable poles from hold luggage seems pretty clearly a way to charge a slightly-better-off group a bit more money.

if they're doing that it's something very new. Several of the people who visited me last season bought ski boots in their ordinary hold baggage. I've done so lots of times as well.
ski holidays
Am I getting linked to the wrong thing? It clearly says that ski / walking poles, crampons, ice axes etc CAN go in the hold but not as cabin baggage?

The following items are not permitted in cabin baggage, but are permitted as hold luggage:

Pointed/Edged Weapons and Sharp Objects:
Ski and walking/hiking pole and crampons
Axes, ice axes, ice picks & hatchets
Meat cleavers
Knives with blades of more than 6 cm as measured from the fulcrum and scalpels
Razor blades
Ice skates
Trademen’s tools
Scissors
Hypodermic needles are permitted for carriage for medical purposes only (Medical certification must be presented at check-in to permit hypodermic needles to be carried into the cabin)
sabres, swords and swordsticks.
Arrows, darts, harpoons, machetes and spears

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 23-11-15 16:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Drogue, If I was flying anywhere I would want my ski boots in my hand luggage. Or on my feet.

I strongly think that whoever put together the web page was confused and not idiot proofed.

Perhaps, but Iryna's tweets say the same - they're classed as small sports equipment so shouldn't go in hold luggage - so I think it's a conscious decision rather than a mistake. Seems like a silly move if they're trying to sell themselves as the "skiers' airline", but I can see the commercial logic if it gets them extra £ without losing many customers.

pam w wrote:
Quote:

banning boots and foldable poles from hold luggage seems pretty clearly a way to charge a slightly-better-off group a bit more money.

if they're doing that it's something very new. Several of the people who visited me last season bought ski boots in their ordinary hold baggage. I've done so lots of times as well.

I've done it a fair few times as well. But their T&Cs say they count as "small sports equipment" and should have the extra charge attached, and when I queried this I was told that was correct (as the tweet from Iryna confirms). I've never seen them check, ask, or make a fuss about it with ski boots, but I know people who've paid the charge anyway to avoid worry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you will find it is all sorted now. A email to the right people has had the page fixed. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Adamkski69 wrote:
Am I getting linked to the wrong thing? It clearly says that ski / walking poles, crampons, ice axes etc CAN go in the hold but not as cabin baggage?

Where does it say that? I've been consistently told they can go as "small sports equipment" but not in normal hold luggage, but if they contradict themselves elsewhere it seems there's a much better case for not paying the extra!

Edit: scratch that, seems like the T&Cs have been updated to allow ski poles in hold luggage. Weird that their customers services person tweeted the other way. Seems like ski boots are still meant to be taken as small sports equipment though Sad

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 23-11-15 17:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Drogue wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@altis
Quote:

Skiers tend to be pretty wealthy as it's an expensive sport

Really? Wrong on both counts I would say. Last seasons Tignes appartment for a week was £90 each, the PDS one was nearer £80 and is going to cost the same next march too. Doesn't seem too expensive to me. And last time I looked at my bank account I wouldnt say I was wealthy, moderately comfortable perhaps.

But foxtrotzulu wins the sanity award. Walk, don't run, back to the easyjet site and you'll find it says something rather different to yesterday. Just as I expected it would. Wonder how much of a b***cking the previous author got?
snow conditions
Before

After

ski holidays
Quote:

Walking and ski touring poles collapse down and can generally fit in a normal 90/100 litre hold bag (so can things like crampons). So how would EJ know what's in there anyway?
latest report
@Pruman, see my post above. Obviously a mistake and now corrected.
ski holidays
andyrew wrote:
Drogue wrote:

Really? Wrong on both counts I would say. Last seasons Tignes appartment for a week was £90 each, the PDS one was nearer £80 and is going to cost the same next march too. Doesn't seem too expensive to me. And last time I looked at my bank account I wouldnt say I was wealthy, moderately comfortable perhaps.

But foxtrotzulu wins the sanity award. Walk, don't run, back to the easyjet site and you'll find it says something rather different to yesterday. Just as I expected it would. Wonder how much of a b***cking the previous author got?

Almost nobody thinks they're wealthy, but on average skiers tend to be a fair whack above non-skiers. Skiing holidays are basically similar price to other holidays except for the ski pass, which can't really be scrimped on, and that ski resorts tend to be a bit more expensive for consumables (though this can be minimised). I'm not saying all skiers are wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, or that skiing holidays can't be done pretty cheaply. But compared to most sports - which don't require specific holidays to do them - I'd call it pretty expensive, and by ruling out the poorest in society who couldn't afford a specific holiday to do it I'd say it's pretty clear that skiers tend to be above average on the income scale.

I wouldn't consider myself wealthy at all - I'm an academic on a fixed-term contract - but I still earn quite a way above average because the average is really quite low. Median income in the UK is around £21-22k (depending on which study you look at), and I think you'll find relatively few UK skiers earning much below that.

I'm surprised their customer service people were saying the same thing as the old T&Cs though, and I don't think it's somehow insane to believe that what their customer service people say is correct when it comes to their T&Cs, but that may be mistaken faith! The T&Cs are not clear though still, as they state that if the baggage contained an item of sports equipment it counts as sports equipment, and define small sports equipment as including "Skis (including boots and poles)". It could be that they mean skis count, and if taking skis you can put boots and poles with them, though when I've asked their customer service I've been told any hold baggage containing ski boots should be listed as small sports equipment and carry the surcharge attached to this. As said, I've not been asked about contents of hold luggage before and have never had an issue taking ski boots in my usual hold luggage, I'm just relaying what I've been told when I queried it. Given the comments from Iryna earlier, I can well believe their customer services are wrong though!
latest report
Quote:

Yes, when I see some of the Gatwick-Geneva rates at peak times or many weekends, I think EJ are just taking the wee wee and doing so because the demographic tend to have lots of disposable income and say what the heck.

@andyrew, compared to the norm, I'd say it's OK to describe most skiers as wealthy.
snow report
@Gaza, Well done.
snow report
This is obviously a confused set of wording. Of course easyJet are not banning ski poles from hold luggage, especially not when they carry skis. Tens of thousands of skiers use EasyJet every winter for ski trips and they're not going to jeopardise that.

I think quite a few people might need to get a grip...
latest report
@froomie, haha, quite.
ski holidays
I always thought that flying EasyJet is not the best idea when other options are available. I saw once two people putting a bag into a hold, had to be at least 20 kilos judging by their efforts, and EasyJet flights are full of them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy