Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EASYJET - Ski poles no longer allowed!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if this has already been posted, I had a quick look and couldn't see anything. Sharing this from a FB posting I saw today.

Easyjet seem to have updated their list of 'dangerous items' which are not permitted onboard in either cabin or hold baggage. The list includes ski poles!!! Also ice axes, crampons etc. See link below section on 'pointed objects'.

http://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/dangerous-goods

Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sarah, Or walking poles. Do you know when the list was updated? Time for an email to Carolyn Mccall.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
somewhat bugs my flight to iceland (already booked) for a greenland expedition where poles/ice axe and crampons will be pretty useful!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can not see what you are going to do with them when they are in the hold. Crazy.

Maybe we had better blunt our edges before we put the skis in the bag too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easyjet ceo

Carolyn.mccall@easyjet.com
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Basically saying we don't want to carry it.

And they were at the London Ski & Snowboard Show telling us how they're the skier's airline.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like EasyJet are shooting themselves in the foot over this. As I read the T&Cs, you'll need to get an exemption in writing from them:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions

Section 19.12
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jake43, don't give them any ideas!

That's bizarre. I can just about understand them wanting you to declare that you have such things in a checked in bag. But a total ban? Especially considering that they have arrangements to take firearms which are detailed down the page. So you can take a shotgun so long as it's packaged up and you have paperwork, but there's no allowance for ski poles/crampons/ice axes at all?

Makes no sense!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep you can take a gun no problem!! Insane!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But this is their definition of ski equipment from same t&c

easyJet defines sports equipment as being:

Small Sports Equipment (items up to 20kg):

Golf equipment (including golf shoes);
Skis (including boots and poles);
Snowboards;
Sporting Firearms;
or Large Sports Equipment (items up to 32kg):

Bicycles;
Canoes;
Wind surfers/Surfboards
Hang-gliders
For more information on sports equipment please see our dedicated FAQ page.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We flew up to Aberdeen with Easyjet this time last year with walking poles folded up in our cabin bags, only luggage we were flying with, and we decided to risk it as they were not expensive, so could have abandoned them but they were fine then. This sounds crazy not allowing poles to go with skis.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect it's probably a case of bad wording rather than policy change. Worth querying.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I just sent tweet to them and this was the reply
Quote:
Hi Rob, You can take them as sports equipment: http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/sports-equipment …. ^Iryna
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
does the same apply to crampons and ice axes ??
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Or walking poles
latest report
bobhitch wrote:
Not sure, maybe send them a tweet. They replied very quickly. I said that their list of Dangerous Goods specifically said ski poles were prohibited, and this was very confusing.
latest report
Quite right to. They're really dangerous on piste too - nasty pointy things. You know in your hearts you need a snowboard. The safety people will be along in a minute to suggest that wearing a helmet prevents you being stabbed by a pole, but they will not be able to back this up with data.
snow conditions
@philwig, what the hell is the point of skiing if we don't get to kebab a snowboarder every now and then Puzzled
snow report
@rob@rar, well done! Exactly though! In one place it says they are banned and in another it says they're allowed Confused
snow report
[quote="rob@rar"]
bobhitch wrote:
Not sure, maybe send them a tweet. They replied very quickly. I said that their list of Dangerous Goods specifically said ski poles were prohibited, and this was very confusing.[/quote

Being a luddite I don't have a twitter account - I have e-mailed them and the automatic reply said response in 7-10 days
I don't suppose you would be kind enough to tweet them re crampons and ice axes ?? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@bobhitch, will do.
latest report
Further reply from easyjet Twitter person (in reference to ski poles):
Quote:
Hi Rob, Please note that you could take them as small sports equipment, not as a hold luggage. ^Iryna

Note sure if that helps clear up my confusion.
snow report
So it would appear you can take anything as long as you pay an extra £30 each way to class it as safe Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 21-11-15 20:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
They've cooked up their definitions by merging hand and cabin baggage - scissors, household cutlery and any knives are also on the list. Cockwombles.
snow report
Gillette & Wilkinsons won't be too happy either as no razor blades allowed in your hold luggage!
snow report
I would say this is a very badly worded set of T&Cs. Are they going to inspect the contents everyone's hold baggage? No, they are not. I suspect this is leaning more towards cabin baggage but they have cobbled both hold and hand baggage together in a single section.
snow conditions
Time to calm down, I think. Chefs take their knife rolls with them everywhere - in hold baggage. I'll bet ski poles are not going to be banned once they sort out the hand/hold baggage confusion.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
Further reply from easyjet Twitter person (in reference to ski poles):
Quote:
Hi Rob, Please note that you could take them as small sports equipment, not as a hold luggage. ^Iryna

Note sure if that helps clear up my confusion.

I posted about this confusion regarding skipoles on Easyjet'd fb site and have just received this reply (also from Iryna as it happens):

"Thank you for your feedback. However, please note that you should take ski poles as a small sports equipment, not as a hold luggage. Please see this link for more information: http://www.easyjet.com/.../preparing-to-fly/sports-equipment.
Best regards,
Iryna"

So it seems you can't take skipoles as "hold luggage", but you can take them as"sports equipment" (which also happen to go in the hold)...... Toofy Grin

I did also tell them "However, you may still want to revise your Dangerous Goods website wording on carriage of hold baggage, as currently written it prohibits people putting razor blades or scissors in their hold baggage, which is likely to inconvenience quite a few of your customers... wink ", to which they replied "Thank you for bringing this to our attention. However, please note that sharp items are not allowed in cabin baggage at all. Best regards..."

No shit Sherlock..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nowhere on the CAA's list of dangerous items can I find any sort of sharp or pointy thing:
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2200&pageid=14487

It requires zero cynicism to deduce that this is simply a money making exercise. Shame on them.
snow conditions
I've had a spat with Iryna about their charges for ski equipment. I've repeatedly asked why a 20kg suitcase costs £30 yet a 20kg ski bag cost £60 but I only get stupid responses saying it is sports equipment or a link to the fees section. Either Iryna doesn't undertsnad what I am asking or she is being deliberately obtuse.
ski holidays
Quote:

Either Iryna doesn't undertsnad what I am asking or she is being deliberately obtuse.

or a ski bag costs £60 and Iryna is just a dogsbody who's not paid to agree with customers who declare the Company's policy is a nonsense. wink
snow report
Probably not far off the truth @pam w but part of my profession is working with clients on customer communication and I get frustrated by these types of response. Customers are far more sophisticated these days and know when a company is spinning them a line. I've had a similar spat with Edinburgh Airport this week over a posting on their FB page on the new Duty Free Shop. I had a patronising response back from them that infuriated me.
snow conditions
Suggest someone forwards this thread to Carolyn McCall. Probably doesn't want to be victimising every customer who shaves , takes a sewing or first aid kit on holiday or a fruit knife. She wouldn't have many customers left.
snow report
Hmm, i too work with some customer service folks in my job, like to have a few lite beers with this Iryna person. Guess i should tweet her Very Happy
snow conditions
Can you tie your ski poles to your skis, inside your ski bag in the hold?
latest report
Is "Iryna" a real person or a computer generated user friendly international sounding name to use when creating an algorithm to respond to general queries? Her responses don't sound like they come from a real person.
snow conditions
@Perty, I was just pondering the exact same thing...

If she refuses @essex, light beers, then we'll know for sure.
latest report
I had a 'facebook' conversation with Iryana-answer was to refer to the T&C's , which were not helpful in answering the crampons and ice axe connundrum and subsequently Stephane who confirmed that ice axe and crampons are classed as sports equipment and can be carried as such in the hold but I will call them to get confirmation!
snow conditions
I think the website designer simply mixed up what was allowed in the cabin and what was allowed in the hold and they are too arrogant to admit their error.

Mind you I found this one a bit concerning

Quote:

Infectious substances such as bacteria and viruses.

This means you will not be allowed on the flight with a cold!

However, on recent flight I have seen passengers with crutches and walking sticks, handbags, pencils and other potentially dangerous weapons. My friend reports on a recent flight to Geneva sitting next to a womena who was knitting!
snow report
I've always thought that duty free is full of glass bottles that could be turned into very sharp weapons if someone wanted to cause trouble.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy