Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Creekside gondola versus Whistler village lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Due to last minute change in travel dates have had to rebook accommodation and are now next to creekside gondola rather than whistler village itself, just checking that this is not a huge problem as whistler is a bucket list destination and don't want an impoverished experience (first-world problems eh?). Any suggestions for bars/ food welcome too. Plus is the early bird lift pass valid here? Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are very fortunate.
Creekside way better than Whistler.
Quiet, some good restaurants and shops
Less busy lift for rapid access to the mountain.
And lovely run back down - if its open.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not a huge problem.

There are buses between the two, and I think they may even be free for tourists to use. So you can go to Whistler (or Blackcomb), get stupidly drunk, throw up, and still get home.

So the main difference is simply that you're not where most of the shops and restaurants (and places where you fill up before vomiting, I assume), are. This is not really much of an issue.

From a snow perspective, it's all good. If it's warm, you get rain down there, and rain down in the main village: no difference. You can download to either if you like. The "peak to creek" run is fine, probably less hassle than the main drag to the village, which gets very busy (it's easy and it's a funnel, so it gets crowded).

I think the lift from Creekside may actually be quicker, and it's slightly more "core". The breakfast places there used to include some proper breakfast joints (hard to find on foot in Whistler village. There are enough restaurants there if you don't feel like a trek. The accommodation should be cheaper.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowsartre, creekside is great and has a nice vibe , regular buses to and from main village , some great bars and eateries , inc the world famous Dustys"s . access to the mountain is great and if in good nic the way home is awesome . also some great off piste tree runs on the way back down. all lift passes are valid in whole resort so no probs.
great start to the season over in BC , so hope you have a blast snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dabber, fantastic, sounds ideal, thank you. Have to say going for the skiing rather than vomit Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowsartre, stayed in whistler village and backcomb and creekside many times and have always enjoyed the skiing and never seen to much vomit , make sure you check out the apres at merlins , and the sushi at sushi village Happy
head over to the whistler thread if you need anymore info
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You will be fine at Creekside and Dusty's is awesome............and Whistler village is dead near on a bus - in short I agree with Dabber! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bus wasn't free last year and you need the right change as they dont give change. The takeway pizza place was good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Creekside is fine and they are trying to kick some more life into it so it will only get better. Dusty is brilliant - pulled pork sarin to die for. The gondola up has queues at busy time but if you go early no problem. It is a 6pack though and that only takes you up to the bottom of the real skiing - then you get on RedChair (gets very cold so wrap up) which is a 4pack. So there could be queues there first thing other wise not bad. You can always take expressway down to Garbanzo which is always quiet.
Bus is not free but needs a $2 coin last year. Taxis cheap and available if you do want a night out in the main village. Can even walk it in 50Mins on the Valley trail that they keep cleared.

As said earlier Dave Murray black or Franz (hard) Blue on the way back down but if you are not up to those you download as no green. Even in a terrible year like last they kept the runs open.

Early bird is called Fresh Tracks and I think it is only open from Whistler Gondola. You go up to Roundhouse for a phenomenal breakfast of all you can eat american style. Then they sound the bell and you are good to go - if you have not eaten too much. So that gets you on the slopes 45mins before anyone else gets up there as it takes 20mins to ride to the Roundhouse. If you have your own ski gear Fresh Tracks is is a great move as you will be awake by 5am anyway.

Best Restaurant in Whistler is in Creekside - Rimrock. It is expensive though. What budget are you talking food wise? There is anything from Dinners through Sushi to top end restaurants like Rimrock and Nita Lake Lodge. Takeaway Pizza at Avalanche is great too but they were having trouble getting staff over the summer so not open everyday. Presume they have sorted that now.

Yes I think Village is bigger with more choice but you will be fine and presumably there is a cash saving so splurge on Taxis if you want a night out. Loads of info on other Whistler threads. Or ask away
They do a fire and Ice show too on a Sunday night(check) that is worth watching - best from Blacks upstairs balcony.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes Fresh Tracks is from Whistler Gondola only. Finally managed to find the info on their crap new website Shocked

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/activities/fresh-tracks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Countdown looming closer (23 Jan) any final top tips for best areas to ski? Can anyone post the Whistler thread mentioned elsewhere?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowsartre, i know you've found the whistler snow thread wink but where did you end up booking ??? if you're in blackcomb got a few good tips for you !! , you have dropped lucky with the conditions this season , great base formed and regular storms topping things up Toofy Grin have fun
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dabber, I honestly haven't found the Whistler thread, please do post a link Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowsartre wrote:
@Dabber, I honestly haven't found the Whistler thread, please do post a link Very Happy
You are posting in it ! But for anyone else http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2827211#2827211
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Jake43, @Dabber, D'oh!!!Blush Had not scrolled back enough was just reading about transfers and supermarkets - was more interested in best runs etc
snow conditions
Depends on what sort of runs you want
snow report
Lucky you Snowsartre - we love Whistler and you will too, everything is so civilised, people are nice, lift queues are polite (yes) skiing is amazing, there's loads of snow this year, Creekside will not be a problem. Have a fantastic time - you will.
snow report
@Snowsartre, You could also take the free local guide offer.
ski holidays
Quote:

pulled pork sarin to die for

Nerve gas??

Quote:

@Snowsartre, You could also take the free local guide offer.

+1 - the Snow Hosts are a great bunch of local skiers: usually all retirees who ski obscenely well. They hook up with folk near the Roundhouse on Whistler and the Rendevous on Blackcomb at (I think) 11 am each day, and take groups on orientation tours around the mountain, according to skill level. They don't take tips, but feel free to make a donation to the avalanche dogs fund!
ski holidays
@Snowsartre, Another vote for Après in Dustys - Butt rub mayo & chicken wings! Cool Stayed in Creekside a couple of times. Cool place. Frequent buses to the village too.
snow report
@Snowsartre, you are very lucky indeed ... base looks great with regular top-ups.

+1 for the Snow Hosts as well as Fresh Tracks.

Admittedly I prefer Whistler mountain over Blackcomb but having said that I've never ventured onto the glacier at Blackcomb which many rave about.

My favourite runs are :

Blackcomb (Crystal Hut for great waffles and grilled meats / meatloaf)

Most of the runs off the 7th Heaven Chair (although it can be windy / scraped at the top)
Arthurs Choice (gladed but not steep)
Cruiser / Lower Cruiser
Jersey Cream
Ridger Runner
Twist And Shout

Whistler / Creekside

Harmony bowl - all the blacks / take your pick
Symphony Bowl (Rhapsody Bowl for a great in-bounds out of the crowds ski / just drop into it, pick your line, float in lovely powder and join one of the pisted runs at the bottom)
Whistler Bowl black diamonds (much nicer after fresh snow / find them a bit scraped and bumpy if it's been dry for a while)

Bear Paw
Dave Murray - have "fond" memories of taking my 4 year old down it by accident (wife not impressed)
Franz (probably my favourite run in WB)
Seppo's
Tokum
snow report
Thank you everyone for great comments and particularly @FFIRMIN, for being so positive. Have discovered today that we are there for start of Whistler Pride LGBT festival - anyone have any experience of this? Very Happy
snow report
And does anyone know if can ski down to creek side gondola ar current time?
snow conditions
Snowsartre wrote:
And does anyone know if can ski down to creek side gondola ar current time?

Is the Dave open?

With apologies to Moby - "Here we go now down to Creekside, We get on the Dave and we're going to ride..."
snow report
Can't imagine why it would not be as they have had enough snow to be teaching down in Creekside base. There is a live view of all runs & lifts on the website each day. http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain-info/snow-report#lifts-and-trails
Not to mention the lift board up at the Roundhouse.
snow conditions
Given the recent heavy rain. How are conditions? Can you still ski back down to creek side? Arrivé in 24 hours Cool
snow conditions
@Snowsartre, It was chucking snow down in Creekside yesterday. Skype with Daughter yesterday.
Even in the very very warm conditions last year you could still ski out to Creekside (very soft going) in April so whilst I am not there, I can not imagine you would not be able to.

A good idea of the conditions for the home run are looking at the village webcam - http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain-info/snow-report#mountain-cams - as that is same altitude. Creekside is North facing so lasts better. Sometimes this view is like the Alps were earlier with a white stripe in a brown field but there is a 1.5m base so no chance of it not being there for you next week.
ski holidays
Jake43 wrote:
@Snowsartre, It was chucking snow down in Creekside yesterday. Skype with Daughter yesterday.
Even in the very very warm conditions last year you could still ski out to Creekside (very soft going) in April so whilst I am not there, I can not imagine you would not be able to.

Err, I seem to recall hiking down to the timing flats (halfway to Creek side) in March (I think). So no you can't always ski out. Not really a big deal as its a short gondola download.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowsartre wrote:
Given the recent heavy rain. How are conditions? Can you still ski back down to creek side? Arrivé in 24 hours Cool

Unfortunately it is very warm aND wet at the moment. Good news is that there is a good base, and it is supposed to be colder and wet next week, so if that is the case, will soon be decent again
snow conditions
Creekside is fine for food and bars now (unlike in mid 90s when I first went to Whistler and it was quite a ramshackle collection of buildings) best of all you can take the Dave Murray run home - my favourite run anywhere. We have been in 3rd week March and been fine to ski out to Creekside so you would be really unlucky not to have that option in January. Enjoy!
ski holidays
Creekside last March, just a narrow artificial line.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy